Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

xsf421 posted:

Are you sure the 2015 can do the Sync 3 upgrade? I think it might only be the 2016+ hardware.

It appears to be possible.

Although this is much more expensive than I realized. Maybe I misunderstood other tutorials I read that claimed it was an under $500 upgrade. Perhaps that was for 2016+ cars. :(

https://www.4dtech.com/14-15-ford-fiesta-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Driving my brother's FiST with recaros, they're excellent. I wouldn't want to own one without them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

So you're saying you prefer your brother's FiST over VAG.

Pump the brakes

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Cross posting from the MZR thread: I think my throwout bearing is starting to go out.

Yesterday, after starting up the car, I drove about 1 mile to a stop sign to get onto the freeway. At the stop, I believe I had the clutch in and stick in 1st gear, I basically heard the same noise that the guy is demonstrating in the video below. I could've had the stick in neutral, and the clutch out, but I don't think that's what I typically do if I'm only going to be stopped very briefly. Whatever the case, when I let out the clutch, with the car in gear and drove through the intersection, the noise stopped.

I pulled over and popped the hood and had my fiance press the clutch in and out, rev it, etc and didn't notice anything the rest of drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EwJz1nm09c

I'm worried i'm getting into the sunk cost fallacy. I've already put $1500-2000 into the car in recent maintenance replacing the struts, shocks, LCAs, engine mounts, and most recently the oil cooler.

I've never had a car with a clutch go out on me, and I've never replaced one before. If my plan is to keep the car for a few more years until an appropriate EV comes out, I guess I'll try to find a shop to do this work, eventually.

Thanks for coming to my E/N / Terrible Car post.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks like he has an MS3 which is fwd so it's a pain. Rwd cars are usually much easier.

I would definitely pay someone else to do that job :v:

2009 MS3, correct. The packaging looks like such a pain in the rear end. And after doing the front struts and LCAs, having to separate them again, pop out the drive shafts, get behind the engine to temporarily remove some heat shields... doesn't appeal to me. In addition, I just replaced the trans oil, and it looks like you have to drain the trans when you do the clutch (for reasons?).

I watched this video on replacing the clutch on a 2nd Gen MS3. Gearing aside, it should be identical to the first generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBi1aOjdDlA

Anyway, on a longitudinal mount, RWD engine a clutch job doesn't look that complicated, other than accessing bolts on top of the bell housing, but the FWD platform looks very tedious.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
What do you guys recommend as far as parts goes? Should I preorder the clutch kit and associated bearings seals and provide that or expect them to source it all?

I wonder if "while you're there" it makes sense to go ahead and replace the rear main seal or if that's a waste of money and effort.

I believe the seal around the driver side axle output has been weeping for a few years so I would also want to get that replaced.

I haven't taken a car to a shop in probably 12-15 years so I am a little out of touch with dealing with that process. Not including tires or alignments, of course.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

red19fire posted:

When I worked at a car transporter in college I got to drive a Mazda like this with a supercharger and 6 speed. It was a rocket ship. Other highlights included an Aston Martin Vanquish, one of the first R8’s, an insanely light Suzuki rally car, and an Audi S8 coupe.

All of my fears confirmed: that valets and any stranger who drives my car will beat on it.

I had to valet my car a few years ago and the valet asked if I ever used the NOS bottle. It was very clearly a fire extinguisher strapped down in the passenger footwell. I hope he didn't try to huff any Halon.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

Speaking of fire extinguishers are there any preferred brands or whatever for carrying in a car?

This is what I bought, along with a universal mount that bolts to the seat:

H3R Performance HG250B Fire Extinguisher https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005JV8ZXO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WdqiEbDQMAJFY

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
The most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in were, oddly enough, a kind of beaten on R34 Skyline GT-:argh:. I think I was in it for 6 or 7 hours and I felt great.

My MS3 gives me upper back pain after long drives because the steering wheel doesn't extend far enough forward. My GFs TTS gives me some lower back pain for reasons I don't understand. I am ant to say the recaros in the FiST were surprisingly comfortable for a 4-hour drive.

If I could find a wrecked or parted out RX8 R3, I would buy those seats and put them in my MS3. But that's a pipe dream.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

drat it man, this is a thread about cars, not your gfs huge knockers!

:golfclap:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Anyone in here ever replace the front swaybar bushings on a Mazda3/Mazdaspeed 3?

I suspect that's another source of my suspension clunks, but it looks like a pain in the rear end to do. I'm wondering if I should just let the dealership or some local shop do it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I haven't drivent a Focus ST but the Fiesta ST was incredibly light and easy enough to use. By comparison my MS3 clutch is significantly heavier. Since the Focus ST shares a very similar engine to the Mazda and everything is stamped FoMoCo I would wager the clutch is similar.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Cross post from the MZR thread, but I made my MS3 a little more livable:

I installed an Alpine iLX-W650 Android Auto head unit in my 1st gen MS3.

Pretty cool to have spotify, waze, google maps, and a few other apps available while driving. It wasn't too hard to do, but the wiring harness is a huge loving mess.

Not really obvious here, but Crutchfield sells this Metra bezel kit to fit the double din head unit into the original location. The bezel was matte or satin black plastic and I decided to try my hand at putting on some 3m 1080 gloss black vinyl wrap (Although the back side of the vinyl says 2080 so I'm wondering if I was sold a different product). It turned out alright and blends in with the HVAC and dash trim that's piano black.

I haven't driven with it yet, but I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

wolrah posted:

Have any of the FiST people here done the reverse camera install or anything else that had you running wires in/out of the hatch? I am having a hell of a time getting any cables to pass through the rubber thing. I can get a screwdriver through but nothing too soft to push like a stranded copper cable, and pulling it through isn't working either thanks to the size of the connectors.

Normally I'd just go around it, but this seems like an area where not compromising the weather seal would be important.

I installed a backup camera on my MS3 beneath the wing. It turns out to not be the greatest camera angle since the rear glass is in the picture but it at least helps me check that no one is behind me before I turn my head to back out.

I had to drill a second hole on the top of the hatch to route the wire, and then I stuffed the hole with some butyl rubber stuff to try and make it water tight. Running the wire is fairly easy to stuff between the headliner and trim, or alternatively under the carpet and door sills without popping anything off. Should be fairly similar for the ST.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

wolrah posted:

Yeah once I get it inside the car it'll be pretty easy, right now I'm just trying to bridge the gap from the innards of the hatch to the headliner area.

Gotcha. Yeah that does look hard and very, very frustrating.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I don't think many of y'all still own an MS3, but if you get a P0442 and P0455 CEL you probably have a cracked fuel tank lock ring. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dX5oDlxgeM

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

GR Yaris or go to hell

:emptyquote:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Coolnezzz posted:

Yes but I still want one. Hoping it's more special than just the drivetrain and suspension/brake upgrades but they wouldn't be able to get it to pass US regulations if they gave it the GR Yaris treatment. Hoping it's under 40k!

Please to explain. Why can't the GR Yaris pass US regulations? I would've pre-ordered one if it had actually come to the US. :(

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

RIP Paul Walker posted:

A friend of mine has a clean stock low-mileage first gen in red. I should convince him to sell it in this wild market, bet he’d get great money for it.

If the Mazda dealer ever returns my car, I'll be selling my 2009 MS3 GT with ~104k miles in the near future.

Debating if I go the Cars and Bids route or just sell it locally on Craigslist or something.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

don’t you want to talk to Doug?

Do I have to? I'd rather not.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I think it looks substantially worse than the previous generation-- but I liked the widebody fender look.

I do like the Kia Stinger-looking taillights.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I contacted the Toyota dealer in Austin and got an email back with a ton of typos from a salesman saying the car isn't available yet. They sent a PDF asking for a credit card if I wanted to put down a $1000 deposit but no actual details about allocation or price. (I'm sure it will be marked up).

If I'm gonna pre order a car it better be the Morizo edition, but lord knows $50k for a hatch already feels silly.... That said it does seem neat. Still wish the GR Yaris had come to the US. And besides, I doubt some random like me could even get a 1 of 200 sort of trim when there are people with Bitcoin money willing to pay huge markups.

A dumb thought I had was seeing if the Costco car buying service could get me one.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

opengl posted:

It's a crime they never put the 2.3 MZR into the Miata of the time. It would have been such a riot.

Allegedly it was too tall to fit, but it's a shame no one ever tried.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Rusty posted:

I replaced my transmission in my Celica, so I know the cost. The clutches in DSGs should last the life of the car since it is a wet clutch, and the rest is just a manual transmission.

Wet clutch in what some manufacturers call "lifetime" oils that were very involved to drain and change.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hey so the dampers are blown on all 4 corners of my '14 FoST and was wondering if anyone had any experience putting a set of Bilstein B12s (their B8 shocks with Eibach springs) on. Lowers the car a little (like an inch).

Kinda going back and forth between the B12s and just getting a set of B6s which would use the stock springs and thus keep stock ride height while improving the handling a little compared to a set of fresh OEM dampers.

Concerned with alignment issues and road harshness if I lower the car at all- have heard that the rears don't have camber adjustment so if lowering fucks that up I'll have to buy camber adjustment plates too and I just don't know if I wanna screw with that.

I put the Koni Special Active Struts on my Mazdaspeed3 and really liked it with stock springs.

Since the FoST and MS3 shares a lot of parts I would imagine Koni makes a similar strut for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Ehud posted:

I was just forwarded a spreadsheet for the Mazdaspeed3 I'm buying. The owner kept track of every single maintenance item since they purchased the car in 2013.

they also kept track of every single fill up they ever did, including the date, the mileage at the time of fill up, how much gas they bought, and how many mpg they're getting.

what the hell

I'm going to always buy cars from engineers from now on.

I kept this documentation for my 2009 MS3... I'm also an engineer. In my defense regarding the fuel documentation, the previous owner started it so i just kept on doing it. I think he was also an engineer.

I did eventually stop updating the fuel spreadsheet because I didn't notice any oddities and I figured whoever I sold the car to wouldn't care.

Edit:

Ehud posted:

Got it home after 7 hours of driving on Saturday.

Needs a good detailing, but for a 2009 car it's in awesome shape. Drove great all the way home.

The fuel pump/tank lock ring failed on me-- not long after the radiator tank developed a crack-- and this was back in 2020 or 2021. I'd keep any eye on anything plastic on that car.

The fuel tank lock ring is apparently a common-ish failure and there was a recall for it on the MS6 and RX8, but Mazda wouldn't do a good-will gesture for me to replace it. I believe the part number was identical, too, with one of those cars... Regardless it requires dropping the tank, as the access hatch in the back seat isn't actually big enough to remove the lock ring.

I've also just had bad luck with "older" cars and plastic bits related to the fuel tank. My 240SX developed a crack in the fuel tank back in 2010, and that was a bitch to replace in my garage.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 27, 2024