Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've had that standard entry-level Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife for a while now and I'm starting to want something better. I know the Tojiro DP Gyutou gets talked up a lot as a great buy; is it enough of an upgrade from the Victorinox to be worth upgrading, or is it what I should have bought instead of the Victorinox and I should now be looking at higher-end stuff?

A couple other questions as well.

- I do these things with my cooking knives: promptly hand wash and hand dry; use honing steel; store in their sleeve in the drawer. I do not oil this knife or anything. Do I need to start oiling if I buy these or do these also not require it?

- Is storing these in their sleeves okay? I'm in an apartment, I can't mount magnetic knife bars on the wall or anything and I don't own a knife block, although I would buy one if you guys tell me I need to. (Do they even make knife blocks that don't come in sets?)

- I have a cheap KitchenAid honing steel. (I like that it gives me a guide to help me get the angle right.) Is this okay for a knife like the Tojiros or do I need to get a ceramic rod?

- I cook almost exclusively vegetarian. Not quite, but very close. Should I get a nakiri instead of this? In addition to this?

- I have never actually sharpened this knife. Honed, yes. Sharpened, no. Is it worth taking a $40 knife to get sharpened? Where do I do this? I have a cheapo Accusharp thing that Amazon sold me for cheap along with the knife but I am pretty sure it is bad for the knife. On the other hand, it's a $40 knife. I don't really want to get super into sharpening my knives myself if I don't have to.

EDIT: Okay, now I am considering learning to sharpen my own. Bleh.

guppy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Good to know, thanks. I asked around and apparently there is a guy who does great work at the farmer's market downtown.

Ended up ordering a Mac knife after talking to my professional chef buddy. It's this one. It's still okay to hone that on my metal honing steel, right?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Word. Thanks.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The new baby, she has arrived.

Unfortunately I cooked about a week and a half of food on Sunday, so it will be a little while before I can use it for anything meaningful. But man is it pretty.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm looking for a bread knife. The OP suggests the Victorinox Fibrox ones, but they're like $35 which seems excessive for a bread knife that I'll use only occasionally. Is this still what I should get, or is there something else people like? There's like a $15 (low-end) Henckel one that seems to be popular, and probably some others; I don't want to buy a knife I'll hate, but I don't want to overpay for something like a bread knife.

I am probably already putting more thought into this than I ought to be.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Bread knives are really only useful for fresh bread. A standard chef's knife will cut bread just as well if not better and won't leave as many crumbs. At least from what I've noticed.

Yeah, that's one reason I don't want to spend much. I only make bread once in a while.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Some sharpening questions for a newbie sharpener. I want to learn to do this myself and mostly I expect to be sharpening three knives for the time being: the standard-newbie 8" Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife, a small (3 1/4") Victorinox paring knife, and this 8 1/2" Mac Professional French chef's knife.

The questions:

1. The Victorinox knives should all be sharpened on a 20 degree angle, right? And I can sharpen the parer the same as the chef's knife?

2. The Mac knife is a French style but as I understand it Mac is a Japanese manufacturer and this blade is meant to be sharpened on a 15 degree angle. Is that correct? (Same angle for honing, right?) Any tips on getting this right? I know this is hard to answer, but how important is it to be precise about this, and will I gently caress my knives up permanently if I do it wrong?

3. Can I use a DuoSharp on the Mac or do I need to get water stones? I assume it's fine on the Victorinox knives, right? I have no real grasp of steel hardness and couldn't tell you what alloy is used in the Mac with a gun to my head. I'm interested in sharpening knives myself in order to get the job done quickly without going anywhere, but I don't actually care about the sharpening process beyond the results (and didn't want to drop $250 on an Edge Pro or whatever) so the idea of doing this way faster and more easily appeals.

4. I'll be practicing for a while on the Victorinox before I trust myself not to destroy the Mac, but any general tips? The links in the OP to sharpening videos don't seem to go anywhere useful anymore -- I couldn't find any sharpening videos on that site, just ones breaking down types of Japanese knives and basic cutting techniques. (EDIT: Here are the videos, they've moved http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knife-sharpening-tutorials.html)

guppy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 15, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got my DuoSharp and have been practicing on some of my grandmother's old, unusably dull knives. I just put a pretty good edge on a knife that would previously have had difficulty cutting butter. This rules.

I wanna get really good at this and be able to do it for my friends. I think I am sick.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm considering picking up a petty/utility knife. I'm just a home cook, and I love my chef's knife, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have a smaller knife for smaller, quick tasks. (I do have a paring knife, one of the Victorinox ones, but it's a much smaller blade -- 3 1/4".) I'm looking at a few options, and would appreciate some more knowledgeable folks weighing in.

1. Tojiro DP petty, $47 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000UANWH8

2. Global utility, $58 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005JMI96Q

3. Mac Professional utility, $70 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000N5FDQS

4. Some other knife

5. You're an idiot, just use your chef's knife

Mac makes some cheaper utility knives too, but they aren't that much cheaper -- around $58 -- and they don't have a bolster, which seems like something I might care about for a knife of this length.

Shun has a utility knife that's roughly the cost of the Tojiro (http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ83I22) but I don't really understand all the different Shun lines and I'm guessing for the money it's not great? I don't know. I wasn't really looking at Global until I realized they had a knife in the middle of that range, and from what I've read here the main knock on Global is pricing, not quality, so I thought I'd throw it in the mix.

Thoughts? I tend to prefer to order from Amazon for reasons of convenience and shipping, which I realize will mean some brands (like the Dojo mentioned above) won't be represented.

guppy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 18, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Don't you also have to oil carbon occasionally?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Spuckuk posted:

Thanks to the advice of this thread, I bought myself a Tojiro DP.

Good lord this thing is sharp out of the box! Are waterstones going to be the best way to keep this thing strong for murdering tomatoes?

Waterstones are fine, but remember that sharpening is very different from honing, and you'll be doing it a lot less often. Honing is an "every time" thing done on your honing rod. If you want to get into sharpening, the OP has some resources, but most people don't sharpen their own.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've never so much as seen a Cutco knife, but what other people have told me is:

- Not great knives, not remotely worth it
- The shears are good if you want to make a pity purchase
- If you're buying to help someone out, don't take any free poo poo they offer, it comes out of their cut
- Kind of a scummy, borderline pyramid scheme company, consider not giving them money

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

RedChops posted:

A couple years ago I bought a set of Chicago Cutlery knives, mostly because they looked nice. I later found that they don't really hold their edge well.
Instead of sharpening them, I was thinking about going a step up and getting a Victorinox chef's knife. Is this a good step up, or should I consider something more? I do an awful lot of home cooking, and really just want something reliable.

It will definitely be an improvement, it's one of the go-to recommendations for decent entry-level chef's knives. It is not a great knife or anything. If you cook that much you may want to invest in a better knife, but we don't know your financial situation or budget. Note that you still need to hone any knife, high-end ones included, and sharpen occasionally -- no knife will keep its edge after a couple years of use.

edit: I say this as someone who decided to learn how to sharpen: You don't need to sharpen your own knives. You can have it done for you. I would not have mentioned this but for the reply before mine. Knowing how to sharpen is not a prerequisite for owning any knife, good or crappy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

RedChops posted:

Well, I have a sharpening stone for my straight razor, though it's probably too high of a grain, 4000/8000 on either side of it. ma i married a tuna right above you mentioned Tojiro as a step up, is that worth it? My budget for cooking stuff varies month-to-month, but I can usually set aside a few hundred dollars for something I know will last

The Tojiro DP gyuto is another popular recommendation here. It's still well under $100, and by the time you get to the ~$150 range you're already looking at something like the Mac Professional line, which I'm told is a better knife than many pros have. (And I'm not telling you you need to drop that much.) So you don't need to be completely insane, if you were looking to drop a few hundred you'd be well into the range of handmade knives.

We can't really tell you how much to spend on a knife. I think the Tojiro DP gyuto is around $70. You can buy something wacky and handforged by elves and $1500+ if you really want to, or anywhere in between. The main thing is to buy something well-made that you like the feel of. I'd say set your budget, and see what's available in that range. If you can try out prospective purchases at a Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table or whatever so much the better, although I've bought all mine online. There are some things you can't know without feeling them -- some people like Global handles, for example, and some hate them.

Edit: Whatever you buy, please do take good care of it. Wash promptly by hand and dry and all that.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The CCK small cleaver has been $60 at CKTG for a long time now. All the comments indicate that they used to be $30. Doubling is a pretty big jump and turns it from an impulse buy into something I start thinking about whether I actually need. Is there another reputable store selling them for less, or is that just what they cost now?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got this one. Used the steak knives I sharpened with it last night and they cut through rib eye like it was tenderloin. Very pleased with the result and a lot easier than the spyderco sharp maker.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...ywords=edge+pro

The product description says it's fixed-angle, but the reviews seem to suggest the angle is adjustable. Can you adjust the angle on that to sharpen on a smaller angle? My knives are mostly Japanese-made and I don't want to sharpen them on too large an angle.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Great, thank you!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Please stop referring to Victorinox knives as "'Nox," it sounds very silly.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A friend of mine sent me a CCK small cleaver as an early birthday present! :toot: This thing is carbon, right? I've never owned a carbon knife. I wash and hand dry like anything else and then... rub mineral oil into it? Is that right? Do I hone this thing on the same ~20 degree angle as Western knives?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Gift shopping for someone who likes to cook but has little experience with knives, looking to replace her Cutco with a better chef's knife, probably 8". I am hoping to get her not to use one of the pull-through sharpeners, since she does own one, but I'm a little afraid to choose a Japanese knife in case she does use it and the angle is wrong. Should I be concerned about that? Either way, any recommendations in the $100-or-less range? I know there's the Tojiro DP gyuto ($57), but I'm wondering if there's anything better to be had that's a little nicer without going over-budget. Can be maybe a little more but not much. I saw the Shun Sora 8" ($65), which seems nice maybe. But I'm still concerned about the sharpening thing. Same deal with the Mac Chef series ($95), and I don't have any experience with that line. A Wusthof Classic is a little above budget ($130), although they have some other lines in range, like the Classic 200th Anniversary thing Amazon lists ($90).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

TheJeffers posted:

I might be getting a nice knife as a Christmas gift, and I'm wondering if anybody has used MAC's Professional 9.5" chef's knife, as seen here. I can't find much about it online, but people seem to describe these as good workhorse knives, which appeals to me.

If this isn't a good use of $185, I'm open to suggestions. It doesn't seem like I'd want an ultra-thin gyuto, as I often smash garlic with the flat of the blade, and it doesn't seem like really thin blades would stand up to that sort of use. I don't really care about cosmetics so long as the edge is good.

I haven't used the 9.5" but I have the 8" and the Santoku from the same line and they're excellent.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hone the knife before each use. Sharpening depends more on how much you use it and what you use it for, others can correct me but as a home chef I think it's very unlikely you need to sharpen more often than once a month, if that.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Koivunen posted:

I understand that this is razor sharp, but I'm a careful person by nature and I've only cut myself with a knife once, and it wasn't a bad cut. If I'm cautious I'll be fine, right?

This discussion has gotten kind of strange, but there are "right" ways to hold and use a kitchen knife, and you should learn them. Most home cooks don't do it properly, and the risk of injury is increased. Knives are sharp and injuries are always possible, but the reason proper technique is proper technique is because it minimizes the risk of injury.

Look up some kitchen knife skills on YouTube and be careful, and you won't have much trouble. Take your time and don't rush, speed will come on its own with practice.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have that exact Messermeister rod and it's good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Should something like the DuoSharp also not be used on Japanese knives? (I haven't, don't worry.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If I want to break down chickens, but don't do any other serious work, do I need a boning knife or will a chef's/petty knife be fine? Seems like a petty knife would be perfect as long as I don't accidentally hit a bone at warp speed.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got mine when it was $60, but at $70 -- for that matter, even at the previous price -- I have to wonder: Is the Dexter-Russell vision (currently $25ish at Amazon) a better recommendation to people considering picking up a Chinese chef's knife?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The OP has not been updated in a long time. I recommend an edge pro knockoff. It will get your knives hilariously sharp and is pretty easy to use with some practice. The stones it comes with are pretty low quality but you can always buy better ones to use with it since it will fit ones designed for the edge pro just fine, I also recommend a spring to replace the spacer on the arm because it is both very cheap and very convenient.

I actually ordered one of these and it just arrived. The instructions are baffling. I'm sitting here watching Edge Pro videos trying to figure out how to use it.

Also, I can't help but notice that the colored marks on the real Edge Pro are evenly spaced, and the ones on the AGPtek are... not.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I actually have one, that's a good idea. Thanks.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is the Dexter-Russell not a good alternative?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A lot of us are not interested in doing the fiddling that comes with that. I almost bought a Tojiro and I'm glad I didn't. What's wrong with the Victorinox as an entry-level knife now? I didn't hear about problems.

You can get a very good knife with good fit and finish for well under $250, that's a very high line to draw. I have a Mac Professional that came in around $150. I'm not sure how good they are, but Mac has at least two lines below Professional, so if there really is a problem with the Victorinox now, they might be worth a look. I'm looking at an 8" Chef series knife on Amazon that's $60., which IIRC is around Tojiro DP pricing. (I can't vouch for it myself.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

revdrkevind posted:

Page back to the bit about the Victorinox costing 2x as much as when it was the thread endorsement? At that price it's kind of hard to recommend. Not a bad knife, but there are other options at that price point.

At $25, the Victorinox was a clear winner in budget knives. Compared to a Tojiro it's lower-quality steel (from what I've heard) but at least you get a consistent knife, and for $25 you can gently caress up and chip it and just buy a new one who cares. At $50-$60? Not as much. I still love my knife, but if I'm recommending a starter for someone, I might have to insist on a Chinese cleaver because gently caress ruining a $60+ knife because you're an untrained moron. Or just give them my old Victrorinox and buy a Global. Why yes, that sounds reasonable.

Huh. I definitely wouldn't pay $50-60 for the Victorinox, or suggest that anyone else do so. But I see it between $35-40 on Amazon, same as it's been for a long time now. I do see the rosewood-handled version (versus Fibrox) at $55; I wonder if that's where the confusion is coming from.

I don't think I've seen the Victorinox at $25 except as a temporary markdown. There's a 10" version even cheaper at $31 right now.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CrazyLittle posted:

Does that mean they just take the knife and put a stamp on the side of it and drop it in the mailbox?

No, it's just cardboard packaging, so you don't have to mess with the space plastic.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

This is strangely mesmerizing to watch.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

deimos posted:

I have this and it's amazeballs, hands down the best utility/bread I've used.

I was taught that bread knives aren't worth spending money on and that an expensive one won't give noticeably better performance than a $10 Oxo one. Not so?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ThirstyBuck posted:

Hey Knife Thread-
I had been following along here for a while and I did everything but pull the trigger, after having done the research, on a couple knives. I have a ho-hum set of Henkel's right now but I would like to buy something like a Chinese cleaver for veggies and then a Japanese carbon chef style knife. Since I have forgotten everything I read I will be lazy and just ask. Is there a knock down go to Japanese style Chef's knife that is a clear winner? I was on chef knives to go and the options there area a bit over whelming.
I have bought the Victorinox knife recommended here for my parent's and my wife's parents and it has been a big hit.

Thus, to summarize, I'm looking to buy a CCK, a Japanese style carbon chef's knife that is not huge (>8ish inches), and perhaps some decent stones to keep everything sharp. I have the Lansky kit right now but it doesn't work well on bigger knives. Also, I'm typically a rocker/chopper.

TIA

What's your budget?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I would also suggest a santoku, I love my petty knife but I don't think petty/utility knives are usually hefty enough to be all-rounders. Although my fiancée also loves that knife and uses it exclusively. I've been trying to convince her to use my santoku instead.

I don't know what you were looking to spend, but the Mac Professional santoku is 6 1/2" and is fantastic. Amazon has it for $104 right now. (The listing is for "Mac brand," but it looks to be the Professional.) You can go cheaper, the Superior series is $75, but I really prefer the Professional. Obviously price-wise the Tojiro DP is much cheaper than either of those at $47.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

keykey posted:

I'm looking to purchase a new knife chef's (or gyuto) knife in the 6"-8" range, my preference is 8" knives, my wife's is 6". I guess ideally a 7" would be a happy medium. In any case, we've only really had entry knives that turn to crap after a couple years and I want to buy something that we can use for a long time that won't turn to garbage quickly after sharpening. I've been reading this thread for the past few hours and there is a ton of information to digest. From what I gather, something VG-10 is what I want to get and probably Japanese because of the sharpening angle. I would be willing to spend up to $250, what would you suggest?

I don't think I'd drop $250 in your shoes. Not that there aren't good knives that merit the price tag but at that point you're well into extremely high-end, often handmade knives. You should be able to find truly excellent knives at $150 or less, and even that is fairly high-end.

You don't necessarily need Japanese, it depends on what you want in a knife. If you want a Western style knife, a Wusthof Classic would be less than half your budget. Hell, you could buy a 6" and an 8" and still be under $250. (They do make a 7".)

If you do want a Japanese-style gyuto, note that 180mm is a standard size that's about 7". The 210mm ones are closer to 8" (actually a hair longer) and 240mm is way longer than you want. Here's CKTG's 180mm gyutos. Only one is over $200 and that's a handmade one they only make a few of per year.

If I'm reading your post correctly, and you're willing to either have your knife sharpened or do it yourself, I would actually suggest looking at the Tojiro DP gyuto. It's a common recommendation in this thread. It's not as high-end as some of the stuff in the range you're looking at, but it should last a long time given proper care and it can be had for $50-60 in the lengths you're looking for. If you actually meant honing (on a rod), you want to do that every time regardless of the knife.

What exactly is happening to your knives that you're dissatisfied with, and what knives are you using? Even a $35 Victorinox chef's knife should last years and years with proper care.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If she's in the industry, she probably has an idea of the type of knife she wants. Browse chefknivestogo.com with her, and find something she'll like.

If you've got any local places that aren't sur la table or william sonoma that carry kitchen knives, you could go demo some and see what's comfortable.

Japanese style gyutos are the way to go imo, bolsters suck, and I have no idea why the french and germans still use them.

Can I ask why some people hate bolsters so much? Some of my knives have them, and I like them, because on some knives that don't have them it becomes harder to hone and sharpen near the heel. What's the downside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Scott808 posted:

The bolsters people talk about disliking are the ones that run all the way down to the edge, not the collar type. They get in the way when sharpening near the heel, and eventually you'll end up with a recurved blade of sorts. Unless you grind it down, the bolster will be lower than the cutting edge.

How do you find it harder to sharpen near the heel without a bolster?

Ah, that makes more sense. I sometimes find a large handle (e.g., on the commonly-recommended Victorinox) gets in the way near the heel of the blade because it physically prevents the blade from contacting the hone. If that's not a common problem maybe my angle is too aggressive. The bolster on other knives -- I'm thinking of my Mac, for example -- prevents that problem.

• Locked thread