Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is it necessary to have watched Neko* before this? I've watched only Nise* and Bake*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just caught up on this after watching Neko- Black. Good to see that the series has gone far, far away from Nise-. That season was just depressingly shameful and its only redeeming factor was the art. This season has been great, though I'm not liking Nadeko's arc as much as the first two. However, last episode owned and the Shinobu uppercut before that owned.

e:

Super Jay Mann posted:

I must be the only person that liked Nise almost as much as Bake...

Then I must ask: What is your opinion on Gratuitous Toothbrushing?

If Bake- had the same production values as Nise- it would probably be one of my favorite shows ever. Unfortunately they dumped their money on an endless stream of creepy and occasionally pedophilic fanservice. But the art and directing was really amazing and is the only reason I ever made it through Nise-.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 9, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
:stare: Holy. gently caress.

I think this episode just solidified Nadeko Snake as the best arc yet.

Clarste posted:

Okay, this development is slightly harder to square as a metaphor for adolescence.

No, it's more of a straightforward exploration of denial and self delusion.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

So, she's a self obsessed oval office whose coping mechanism is to basically deny that poo poo happens for a reason and, in most cases, she only has herself to blame? And an aberration basically causes her to become deified?

Perfectly understandable behavior for a teenager!

This is also the same world where a super vampire turned everyone into vampire zombies and being a really nice person turns you into a lingerie cat woman that wants to beat the poo poo out of things.

Within the context of the story, it makes perfect sense. She consumes a talisman that is actually a cage for a powerful being and therefore her body becomes that being's host.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Einander posted:

I'm glad that this season confirms that Senjougahara is the best, even outside of Araragi's viewpoint. Things change depending on who's the narrator -- Hanekawa and Sengoku both see Araragi as gallant and heroic, Sengoku sees Shinobu as a complete jerk, there's differences in the way the world and uninvolved characters are portrayed... But Senjougahara is exactly the same. :allears:

The super caring Senjougahara we saw in the Neko- White arc was kinda baffling to me. She spoke with the same dry, sharp tone, but her personality was completely different. And then we hear her talk with Nadeko and she's right back to the badass we met her as.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

My favorite part:

Shinobu: Heh, you suck.
Nadeko: :ese:
Shinobu, a while later: Not dead yet, you still suck.
Nadeko: :ese::ese:
Shinobu: That's all you got?
Nadeko: :ese:

I found that far more disturbing than amusing. To me it was more proof of how broken Nadeko is.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you're not in it for the dialog, the style, or the story, you're going to regret watching this series. Nise-'s fan service would make your eyes bleed if it were't for the absolutely gorgeous art. Unfortunately Nise- is prerequisite for this current season so you can't skip it if you wanted to watch this fantastic season.

Neko- Black is far better about its fan service than Nise- but it's still a bit worse than Bake-. But that op... god I love that op so much, even compared to the fantastic Nise- op's.

My point is that if you can't take Bake- levels of fanservice, you should probably not continue.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

gobbledygoat posted:

I loved the show's writing and direction but it's just... gently caress man she's like 13.

I think I'll keep going till I get too skeeved out to continue.

For the sake of the tread's amusement, keep going until you get to the "Gratuitous Toothbrushing" scene in Nise- (you'll know when you get there). I'm sure everyone else almost everyone else would love to witness your reaction.

But Nise- is understandably hard to swallow, and judging by your reaction so far you probably won't get more than a couple of episodes into it.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 17, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

gobbledygoat posted:

Yo I'm back, I kinda like how a ton of the girls are perverts in this story, not just pure white angels. (this is coming from an idiot pervert girl so...)

The toothbrushing scene was gross as hell blahblah but I like the series itself enough to forgive anything at this point. Kami-nadeko is loving cool as heck tho, stoked to see the end of this.

The girls only ever get consistently creepy perverted in Nise-. They're much better characters in this season, and not too much more than normal perverted.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of whom, anyone know if we'll be seeing any of Kanbaru this season? She's been conspicuously absent.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was a pretty cool episode, but I agree the animation was rather different from what we've seen this season. Not really bad, just different.

Also, I really want a gif of Shinobu gobbling up donuts in the OP.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm curious, how much of the fanservice is SHAFT and how much is from the source material, if any?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Did you just compare the Monogatari series... to Homestuck? :confused:

e:VV I guess I can see what you mean with the baiting, though in Hussey's case it might be for his own sake because dear god are Homestuck fans insane.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 28, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Einander posted:

Comparing a sequel to the numbers of a first new series is a little off, isn't it? Very few new people are going to pick something up in the middle, and some of the people that bought it before are going to drop it. I mean, look at that chart. You've got five sequels, and four of those five are below the original. It's part and parcel of not doing new properties.

The point is that it shows a trend of people dropping the series after each successive title. Obviously, the series is far from being in trouble, but the trend is showing that its on the way there.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
At least Shaft tried to give itself a buffer with the summary episodes, so there isn't much chance of an episode going bad this season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Comedy option (but really, the only one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-3pHsAIUy4

The obvious winner.

In all seriousness though, the original just makes me so giddy and happy because it's so dman adorable :3:. Definitely one of my favorites.

I do want to mention that the Nise- OPs themselves were probably the best of all the seasons, and their music was generally better than Bake.

I'll also join you guys on the Delusion Express as being one of my favorites.

At the end of the day, I'd have to say that Neko- Kuro's Perfect Slumbers wins my vote. That OP was by far my favorite.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 31, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.daisuki.net/topics/view/10171

I hope it won't be too long...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Siivola posted:

Thanks. You made me finally look poo poo up and get my timeline straight. I'm so jealous of people who have the books, it's so much easier to cross-reference poo poo. This is all kind of silly if you're not like me and actually pay attention to dates, but anyhow.

Onimonogatari began August 21st and ended presumably a few days later. Ougi meets Nadeko on October 30th - two whole months after Hachikuji passed away. (Has she been looking for Hachikuji for two whole months?)

The epilogue for Oni is set four months after, which places it somewhere in late February or early March December, Jesus Christ. :cripes:

Koimonogatari is going to be interesting.

It definitely is. Neko Black and Oni overlap: Hanekawa runs into Hachikuji searching for her backpack in the beginning of Neko White, and Black Hanekawa runs into a disconnected Shinobu somewhere in the middle. Hanekawa also hears about Araragi tag-teaming with Kanbaru on some unknown mission during the arc. It all fits.

So Shinobu Time and Mayoi Jianghi both span the events of White. Then Nadeko Medusa happens 2 months later, and 2 months after that Araragi tells Ougi about Hachikuji.Some time after that the Nadeko showdown occurs, and some time after that (according to darkgrey) is when Suruga Devil occurs.

So what exactly is Hitagi End going to cover in this timeline? Is this the Nadeko showdown, or something different?

veekie posted:

Ougi's role is to bring stories to their proper ending. That's what oddities are after all, tales with power. The law of nature will only act against self deceiving oddities, but Ougi has no reason to stick to the same limits.

The little mermaid must turn to foam. The big bad wolf must be killed by the woodcutter. The wicked witch burned in her oven. A story deprived of it's end is hardly a story at all.

But what about Nadeko's story was left a loose end? In that case, it seems more like Ougi wasn't satisfied with the ending and kicked it onto a different track because she saw Nadeko as a perpetrator pretending to be a victim. I think she's convoluting that law to satisfy her personal sense of justice. By comparison, the "darkness" is an objective application of the law.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 17, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think that whatever problem Gaen needed help with was what got Araragi dirty when he met up with Hanekawa. It has to be separate from Suruga Devil for that to make sense.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Just think of it as the ending to a KEY VN except not terrible. :colbert:

Ahem. The endings of the only 2 KEY things I've seen (Clannad and Angel Beats) both owned.

But the comparison to KEY does work. This didn't hit as emotionally hard because it was being pretty silly the entire time, which climaxes when we see Mayoi sitting on Ononoki's shoulders.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh right, Shinobu's still trapped in hell, isn't she. After all this Mayoi-centric heart touching I completely forgot about her. That explains why she's also missing from the ed. But we all know why Mayoi disappears (RIP).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This was the best week of anime this season, and Monogatari just capped it off perfectly.

Senjougahara is back and more amazing than ever, and the whole beginning bit with her and Kaiki trying to one-up the other absolutely owned.

Someone remind me, what was it that Kaiki wanted with Kanbaru back in Bake?

RabidWeasel posted:

Holy poo poo, that episode was so good. Kaiki's "I really want to not be an rear end in a top hat but damnit that's what I am" monologue was amazing.

It was hilarious that he was basically trying to sate his inner rear end in a top hat, like a vampire's thirst for blood.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Now with TWICE the head-tilting action!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

darkgray posted:

I think we have our OP of the year!

:psyduck:

And that goddamn cliffhanger. This is going to be a painful wait.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
New Episode:

Kaiki's gonna meet the entire cast of the show before this is done. He's already met Senjougahara, Nadeko, Ononoki (and Gaen vicariously), and now Hanekawa. All that's left is Kanbaru (his end goal) and Araragi (who'll probably show up to beat him up at some point).

Also, Kaiki just became the second most fabulous man airing this season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've seen those kinds of scenes throughout the franchise. I'm not sure if they were in Bake-, but they were definitely in Nise-.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

darkgray posted:

Huh? Kanbaru is the narrator this time. Araragi barely shows up.

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that one. On the other hand, we haven't seen her for a while so having her as the narrator would make up for that absence.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

That's mostly just how she acts around Araragi.

Then lets hope there's about as much Araragi in this as there was in Kaiki's.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Really creepy Ougi in a male school uniform, and a brown-haired girl we've never seen before are what caught my eye.

Also, Kaiki. Speaking of which, this takes place some time during the events of Second Season, right?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

i300 posted:

Oh my god. Kaiki seems to have lied about his death. Kaiki, you master troll. :allears:

That's just so loving ridiculous. This is the most Nisio Isin thing ever, god damnit.

I don't know if he really lied. He was attacked, and was bleeding out, but maybe he was saved by someone.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
41 jokes and 1 truth...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ultimatemegax posted:

Aniplex of Japan wanted Daisuki to simulcast it first. Crunchyroll's version came out literally 30 days following the Daisuki streams.

Is there a reason it was a whole month later as opposed to a week or even a few days?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This is still the best one:

9. Senjogahara's request: Facial Expression Shitajiki, a set of 1000 sheets so you can bend your neck like them

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ultimatemegax posted:

I doubt you have room for the third Owarimonogatari novel either...

(One of the April Fools jokes was that the novel had over a hundred thousand pages. Kodansha actually made a replica of what a book that big would look like and used it in conjunction with the Animate in Akiba to advertise the novel.)

I didn't realized when this was posted, but apparently this is the "truth" from the april fools thing even though you said it right there at the bottom of your post. Somehow I feel let down, awesome as that is.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There's also a couple of Bake- OVAs, right? The ones about Oshino disappearing?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I always forget that it's Tsubasa Cat and always remember it as that interlude I hadn't known existed until after I'd watched Nise- and Neko- Black.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

PrinnySquadron posted:

Ahh, that'd make sense. Kaiki was interesting, and has excellent taste in interior decorating :v:

I swear I recognise the voice actress for the supernatural hunter that wears heels in Tsukihi Phoenix, but I can't place it.

The best of Kaiki is yet to come.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Gravefront posted:

Goddamn it, Shinbo

They are already doing 2 shows this season. Far as I know, they aren't big enough for much more.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Crunchyroll only has up to 12, so imagine my surprise when I start Nise- and Oshino is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This may have been answered already, but what's with aiki dying at the end of Second Season, and then being perfectly normal(ish) In Hana-? Or has that just not been explained yet within what's been animated?

• Locked thread