Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yup, GMG code got in about twenty minutes ago here too. Just about to complete the download. Definitely worth saving $7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Someone in the G&K thread proposed uploading our turn zero saves and letting everyone play it out to see how our styles differ and I wanna upload mine. What's the save path for Civ?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tao Jones posted:

C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single

Thanks, anyone interested can find the initial autosave at http://www.2shared.com/file/KCWusRZZ/AutoSave_Initial_0000_BC-4000.html

It's a Pocatello Fractal map on King.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 10, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lugaloco posted:

I'm having a really hard time getting past the first 100-150 or so turns in any game. Everything seems a lot slower and feels like I'm making no real progress whatsoever. This is on King by the way. I've bumped down to Prince but it still feels the same, I'm thinking I should just push through one game to see how it goes.

Yeah, my science income seems really bad for some reason. Aside from the %increase from having more cities, did they change some other part of the formula?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fojar38 posted:

If Nobunaga is on the map I always make it my mission to absolutely obliterate him as soon as possible. Him and Attila are the only civ's I know of where the "build walls, keep composite bowmen in cities" strategy to fending off invasions doesn't work.
Funny, I've always found Attila to be painfully incompetent. The AI absolutely does not understand the part where Battering Rams can't attack units.

Brannock posted:

I guess Chateaus are better than Moai, at least, and Musketeers don't go obsolete as quickly as Maori Warriors? There's that?
Maori Warriors never go obsolete. They just get upgraded into Gunships. Haka War Dancing Gunships.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
After having played to a Culture victory, I love the new late-game mechanics. My favorite will always be just fuckin' with people stealing their artifacts, followed closely by buying up the CSes and enacting policies that piss everyone off but me.

Poland is pretty strong with their free policies. By the time I got my victory in the late 1800s, I'd maxed Liberty, Exploration (out of curiosity, never again), Aesthetics (okay, probably never again), and Rationalism by the end of the game, plus I adopted Patronage for Forbidden Palace and had two Lv3 capstones. Just crazy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

victrix posted:

Naval routes are always worth more by default I believe, though I think the Caravansary brings them closer.

Until you build a Harbor, at least :getin:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alkydere posted:

I am way too amused by the ability to rename the World Congress.

Everyone keeps loving my suggestions for "events" at the World Farting Contest, except for Maria Teresa who can't understand why she can't get Catholicism to be the world religion when only her and Napoleon (the founder) are the only followers of it.

Wait, how do you rename it? Do you have to be leader? Where's the rename option? I saw someone who renamed it, but I thought that they got to name the World's Fair or the International Games or something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, the +1 :) from a garrison one is pretty handy.
It was handy back when it was followed by +1 :) from defensive buildings :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alkydere posted:

I know the game makes up about half of the events/ruins out of whole cloth, but I love how absurd they can get.
Speaking of Events, drat, that's the only thing BNW is missing at this point (well that and vassalage). That was one of my favorite parts about BTS, it just added a layer of narrative flavor to the game. I mean, it's fun enough without, but it was always cool to get "your people have invented magic axe handles" and poo poo. Even negative ones like "an epidemic has started in your city" made the world feel that much more alive.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cathulhu posted:

I loaded up my Ashurbanipalocalypse game and was greeted by this:

Looks like the happiness bug is back.

I dunno, the math looks right to me. Burn New York :black101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alkydere posted:

Nope, expand away. There are only a handful of policies that could be considered "critical" but none are necessary and all are mid-late to late game. The big ones are the Asthetics finisher for double theme bonus, Exploration finisher for the hidden ruins for easier access to more artifacts, and each Ideology has a few killer tourism ones (Like Order which has +34% tourism to nations with less happiness and +34% tourism to nations with the same ideology).
I've also become of the mind that going wide might be the way to do a culture victory now because of tourism pressure. The more cities you have, the more Museums you can build, and the more Artifacts you can stuff into them.

On the opposite side, it seems like science victories favor tall empires. 3% of 100 beakers isn't really noticeable. 15% of 24,000 beakers is massive. I've found myself annexing cities I've captured, that 25% science penalty to puppets feels so gigantic.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Verviticus posted:

What the gently caress? Mine were 6 until I won the game in a diplo victory. I was almost all the way through information era.

Are you doing international trade routes or are you just making GBS threads around with CSes? City States have consistently provided me with okay rates of trade, but it's nothing compared to dealing with actual enemy nations. To be entirely honest, it seems kind of arbitrary how much you'll get from a route, but damned if I wasn't getting +41gpt from a route with China. Trading with their last city on the corner of a continent that was half mountain tiles and half ocean. It was averagely close to me compared to my other trading partners, too, so distance obviously wasn't a factor.

Someone really should look into what determines yields, because it sure as poo poo ain't target city size or prosperity.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

parthenocarpy posted:

Another fact about the Arsenal of Democracy Tenet: you can buy a rifleman for 320 gold and then gift it to a city state for 25 influence, or give 500 directly for 30 influence. If a city can produce a military unit in two turns, it can produce 12.5 city state influence per turn with the Freedom ideology.

Build like seventy Scouts right after you get Industrialism :getin:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kyrosiris posted:

Caesar just came and complained to me about "petty politics" after a UN proposal.

Caesar. :ironicat:
Look man I've had countries complain to me about how it's my fault their proposal didn't go through. Their proposal to embargo me.

Ervin K posted:

Why is there such a massive difference between the strength of the different civilizations? Is it just an alternative difficulty setting? I mean what's the point of picking the Celts unless you just want an interesting game?
Flavor, mostly. I knew a guy back in university who only played as Greece 'cause he was proud of his cultural heritage.

and because his name was alex

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

David Corbett posted:

That, and their UUs are not the best. Oh, boy, cheaper pikemen and a slightly faster tank. Maybe I'm not playing on the right difficulty level, but I've never been involved in a war that would have been won if I could have afforded an extra pikeman or moved my tank an extra space. My pace is set by my siege weaponry, and I only need enough pikemen to screen my ranged attackers and trebuchets.
Yeah, Landsharks seem like they're more for the AI's benefit than anything else. With the inflated income the AI gets, Germany is one of the most boring civs to war against in the medieval era because they're super expansionist and because their UU is the same price as a Warrior. Gee, I hope you like having to kill a number of Landsknechts equal to Germany's number of cities every turn until they get Metallurgy.

Further to the player's detriment, recruiting Barbarians is hell on your normal, un-cheated economy, especially after the changes made to rivers and coasts in BNW. Germany's a fun gimmick "duel pangaea deity victory in 30 turns or less" civ, but gently caress playing as 'em for real.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'd actually advise him against it and to stick with where he is. All those non-Fish coastal tiles? They're completely worthless.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Varjon posted:

Warmongers: how rapidly do you conquer?
As early as possible. If I'm not my continent's last man standing by 0AD on Normal speed, I hosed up somewhere.

quote:

Should I just raze any city that's not in an amazing spot?
Absolutely, and use the four or five Great Generals you generated during your conquest to grab luxuries seven or ten tiles away from your core cities (basically only capitals).

ufarn posted:

Is there a bonus for getting all the ideological tenets?
No, but getting all the ideological tenets should be enough, right? I think I know what you mean, though; you can definitely skip filling your tree and pass on those last two lovely first-level ideologies.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 19, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sicarius posted:

Any suggestions on how you start with this. What do you research and what do you skip? What buildings do you focus on? Do you settle a second city at all, or just throttle out military units?
I almost always open Archery these days, or maybe Animal Husbandry or Mining -> Archery, it's my second tech at the latest. I usually open Scout -> (Scout if I'm Kamehameha so I can island-hop and hopefully get a weapons upgrade ->) Monument -> Archer -> Archer. I'll almost always policy into Liberty, so depending on my income from barb hunting and my surroundings (the Scout is made on the off-chance you'll get a weapons upgrade, but he's mostly for scouting who has what luxuries and if I see a good spot with unique luxuries, I'll build my own settler to take it), I'll either buy my worker or get the free one with the policy.

This will of course only work with the AI, but the basic idea is to gently caress with its targeting by pulling aggro to a melee unit. Fight some barbarians and heal him until he's between 90 and 99 HP, then move him in to tank for your ranged units (my promotion path is Rough +20% -> Cover I -> Cover II -> Medic I -> Medic II -> w/e). You'll mostly have this guy Fortify unless he would heal to 100 by doing so, in which case you'll move him. Your loadout and the strength of your force is gonna depend on your target.

For cities with no Archer yet, two Archers and one Warrior will suffice (a weapons-upgrade Spearman is optimal), but 3-4 Archers is obviously better if your economy can support it. No Archer + Hill, same story. You might need three to effectively overcome its regen per turn (you will with two Archers, but you'll be doing like 3-5 damage per turn after healing).

For a city with an Archer stationed (no hill), you'll need at least four Archers. For a city on a hill with an Archer in it, you'll definitely need five Archers because of its crazy defense. A Spearman isn't completely necessary if you have enough archers, but it's optimal because you'll barely take any damage with Cover II whereas a Cover II Warrior can only tank an Archer/Hill City for about four rounds.

Once Composite Bowmen come into play, this won't work any more because the AI knows it can kill your Archers in one turn and will prioritize units it can one-shot over the injured melee unit. You'll need to upgrade to Composites before you can do this any more, and Catapults are right out. I used to be a big fan, but their window of effectiveness is so small that I just refuse to now.

Ever since BNW, early warmongering has taken a hit in effectiveness thanks to the percent increase per city for your science prices. I've since started outright annexing cities so I don't feel the tech hit nearly as much since puppets still count towards this increase but only produce 75% of the science a non-puppet city does. Plus you can manually focus growth.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 19, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fojar38 posted:

Civilization takes place in the future. Those ruins are our ruins.

Nah, it's just the ruins of <4000BC civilizations.

But Vanilla Civ 5 totally was. How else are you supposed to find Future Tech in ruins :unsmigghh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yes, faiths do not grant it "protected status" considering you can easily wipe out religions.
Unfortunately, if you don't completely destroy the founding civ, they'll often bounce back with weirdly inflated Faith income by the midgame. In one game, I wiped out Spain's religion by taking their capital and killing the Holy City with an Inquisitor and prophet-bombing the gently caress out of them. Five turns later (on Marathon), they bought enough Inquisitors to root out my religion. Ten turns after that, they'd afforded enough Missionaries to re-spread it everywhere and send some my way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't missionaries and inquisitors always of their home city's religion no matter what? If there are no cities of a religion at all left and the holy city's internal pressure is being out-pressured, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to save it, I thought. Maybe Spain had a random city of that religion on some rear end end of the world somewhere. If you want a religion gone, you have to completely eradicate it, not just make it irrelevant.
As it turns out, you're exactly right. During that game, there was enough pressure from CSes on that continent to push out my Prophet Bombs (which of course don't always convert a sufficient portion of the population to be dominant, at which point I think the Inquisitors, Missionaries, and Prophets default to the founded religion).

This game, I made absolutely sure to completely wipe out China's Taoism and once it was gone, she didn't even bother making relevant units any more. The AI refuses to spread your religion for you, go figure.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

beanbrew posted:

Sometimes, it's immensely satisfying to kill off everyone else on your continent before the other continent's civilizations even know you exist.
And now you know why my favorite setup is Kamehameha on Small Continents.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The warmonger penalty does go away eventually, but it takes a veeery long time. But if you're just taking one city, it's not going to be a big deal at all and most civs won't give a gently caress. If you're worried about a particular civ caring, try to bribe them into war first.
Yeah, I noticed last night that it decays now for civs that tolerate warmongers. It's a great (and necessary) change. Declaring war on Japan twice took about 300 turns on Marathon to disappear from Assyria and Babylon.

It seems that the backstab penalty also decays over time. Austria and Poland got along fine a few hundred turns after the former DoW'ed the latter for settling on their continent even though they still had a DoF. Maybe Poland is just very forgiving, though.

Oh, and with these diplo changes, for the record? BNW has usurped BTS in my book, Civ 5 is the best Civ.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 23, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SirKibbles posted:

Beeline Pikemen eat nearest Civ
The gently caress? You can shred an AI with Quick Speed on up to King at least with a focused Archer rush. Open with Archery (on Quick; any other speed and you can slack and grab a different tech first), build a Scout first and search for CSes hard while hunting Barbarians with your Warrior. Forget Monuments or Workers, just switch straight into Archers as soon as the tech is available. Move in the very second you produce your third Archer (you'll need 3-4 on Quick, you can manage 2 on Epic and Marathon); you should be able to outright buy one of them if you're hunting barbs and meeting CSes efficiently.

Five Archers and two Spearmen are enough to take a mature Classical-era capital. Pikemen come so late that your warmongering will only hinder you at that point with the science price increase and your new, lovely half-sized city that probably won't cover your deficit for half an era.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 24, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb beginners question here: should I develop my first city until it reaches a certain population before making a second settler, or should I start my second settler ASAP?
Building a Settler halts a city's population growth (population = science/turn), so you should definitely delay it until your capital is somewhere in the 4-6 size range.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tulip posted:

What? The biggest problem with Quick is that units obsolete super fast - war is generally less powerful and less viable with lowtech units because the ratio of combatturns:builderturns favors the builders more. White Dragon was using Quick as a high benchmark - if archerrushing is viable on Quick, it's even more viable in every other gamespeed (meaning that Impi are less likely to be relevant on non-Quick speeds than on Quick).
This. I only play on Quick when I'm with my friends because they like the tactical element of tight timings and the AI spawning a new unit to fight you every couple turns rather than drawn-out tech cycles that let you slack and kill poo poo at a leisurely pace two hundred turns to an era.

I play Marathon on my own, though, and Archer Rushing is unbelievably powerful then. I regularly conquer my entire landmass on Large Continents before 1000 BC (the idea in Marathon being hitting the window where you can wipe out two or three civs before they get Archery/are able to produce an Archer, at which point you'll either have Construction or you'll be able to grind your Archers to Range on one of your opponents' new, weak, undefended cities). I guess I should play as Alexander and get his achievement one of these days.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 24, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadLlama posted:

Nice, thanks. I wonder if Songhai and the war canoe promotion could actually be useful for naval combat in a twisted kind of way.
I doubt it, an embarked Great General fucks up a Privateer just as much as another Privateer does without the Songhai promotion.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadLlama posted:

I like Germany. Just roll around slaughtering barbarians while you get a huge army that costed you nothing and can be used to trash an AI expansion city and not care if you lose some units.
That's the other thing about Germany: it takes an inordinate amount of luck to get any use out of its UU. Last game I played as them, I grabbed Honor and everything and had vast swaths of fog of war on my continent after conquering it and being left the last man standing. Barbarians didn't spawn once since about 1000 BC in a game that lasted to the 1940s. This is after the BNW changes to barb spawning to be more aggressive in general.

Pvt.Scott posted:

E: I will concede that cavalry in Civ V is 99% of the time a gigantic waste of resources that could be used elsewhere. A boy can dream though.
I rarely use them for combat and treat them more as a unit for providing vision. They're great for getting a little extra range out of your Archers and for keeping just a little more fog of war at bay with just a couple fewer units.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 26, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SirKibbles posted:

It really should say something different if you're Order or Autocracy though it only really fits for Freedom.
Look dude denim is demin. Just because designer jeans say Tommy Heilfiger on them doesn't mean that they aren't jeans.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SirKibbles posted:

But blue jeans and pop music aren't really associated with anything but what Freedom is a stand in for, basically this:

It's just a minor nitpick I don't think it's insulting or whatever the hell the person above taking video games way too serious is on about.
Well I can see it from your point of view, sure.

I guess I'm happier with what it is than I would've been if they were flavored by your leaderhead civ. "Our people are buying your little novelty tiki heads and listening to your ukulele music" would be kinda :catstare:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Yeah, then I dunno. If I want to do GE spam then I'll go Tradition and save the Reformation belief for something that can't be obtained in other ways.
Being able to buy Great Artists without Patronage was pretty ballin. A capstone that gives you all the Golden Ages and GEs you can buy is really good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

thehumandignity posted:

e: Holy poo poo the AI suddenly grew a brain and attacked my trebuchet instead of my 45% health swordsman. :stare:
Yeah, the AI will target anything it can one-shot at priority, but it won't necessarily target the most convenient unit otherwise. I think it also favors targeting Siege above all else, in the order of Siege > Melee > Ranged. It takes tile defense into account, but it ignores promotions like Cover.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Bros:
Casimir
Ashur
Cathy
Harald
Caesar
Dido
Bismarck
Napoleon

Hos:
Wu
Nobunaga
Ramses
Shaka
Hiawatha
Washington
Gandhi
Maria Theresa
Alex
Ramkhamhaeng
Anyone on my starting continent

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TalonDemonKing posted:

Bismarck? Really? Every game I've had him in he ends up swallowing his contenient or picking fights with me. He really likes to settle ontop of me with those lovely 1 pop cities on a continent I pretty much already own.

Like seriously, you're going to drop a city who's starting hex borders mine? Whats your problem, get off my island!
Yeah, if he's not on your continent and doesn't take any important wonders, he's perfectly manageable and pretty loyal and forgiving and generally won't pick on scrubs who don't share his landmass.

Napoleon is surprisingly loyal, too, but he's much more opportunistic than Bismarck and will snap up your Recalled-to-Life RA bitches.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ I don't like Nobunaga because he's such a warmonger that he'll either eat your Recalled to Life allies or he'll piss off the rest of the world so much that he'll eventually be destroyed by a coalition of everyone but him and you, so he's a very "A or B" kind of ally.

Hiawatha has always been super friendly to me and doesn't seem like much of a back stabber. He's one of the few who will keep staying my friend even if he goes a different ideology.
The only reason he's on my shitlist is because he's a crazy expansionist. Even if he's on another continent, he'll start moving settlers into your core and next to your capital the moment he researches Astronomy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Since oceans confuse the AI, making archipelago apps and the like easier, is the inverse true for Pangea maps? Is having little/no ocean on the map like bumping the difficulty up?

If you consider conquering everyone by 1000 BC instead of just half of them to be bumping the difficulty up :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I assume this is why continents is the default map type and it tends to be a two landmass split then. The ocean acts as a wet speed bump for the PC.
Nah, it's only a roadblock for a warmonger game. Continents just fosters a different kind of play that favors tech and diplo over going to war. First to astronomy? You'll get a chance to build up your alliances before your now-warring continentmates even meet them, plus you'll get dibs on their luxuries.

I guess that's why I like Polynesia so much, because it lets me play any kind of victory I like on any map type.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KKKlean Energy posted:

Can I deploy a concert tour in anyone's territory or do I have to have a certain relationship with them first (eg not at war, open borders etc)?
I think you have to be able to enter their territory by any means necessary. I seem to recall having declared war for the sole purpose of holding a concert in Russia's territory, which has its own set of implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Matrim posted:

Sit at -10 unhappiness with a missionary in all of your cities, and watch the free units flow and your science and gold/turn drop.
Or disband them and buy your way out of unhappiness with buildings :getin:

• Locked thread