Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Playing as Venice, I just realized that the Merchant of Venice buys city states with his own gold. You don't pay anything. This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Ahaha, literally everyone else in the game but me declared war on Morocco.

Cultural victory seems really interesting, in that you have to balance getting shitloads of tourism with devoting resources to breaking civs with more culture than you can easily deal with. Also: Venice is fun as hell, in that you can easily transfer from what is essentially a One-City Challenge into having control over ridiculous amounts of the map, all without shooting anything.

e: Holy poo poo, I just realized that Venice gets a Merchant of Venice from Collective Rule. Huh.

Minority Deport fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 9, 2013

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
e: nevermind.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Any pointers for making sure you get as many of the theming bonuses as possible? Most of them are pretty easy but one of them (the Sistine Chapel, I think?) needs three works from the same civ and era. Is it worth stockpiling three artists if you're planning on building that? Are the theming bonus requirements always the same for a given building/wonder?

If I recall correctly, the Wonders all have the same theming bonuses throughout different games, but Museums change every game.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

What advanced options do you guys usually turn on? I only play with quick combat it seems.

One city challenge. It makes deciding where to put national wonders much easier.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
That Race for Religion/Reform and Rule modpack is interesting. I think I might have broken it, since I ended up finishing out the tech tree in 1894 in a one-city challenge as Korea. Also, that one city had a whopping 69 population. Towards the end, I was getting a new citizen every two to four turns, despite there only being one non-eaten-by-Venice-or-Austria maritime city-state.

Or, this means I shouldn't play on Prince! That's probably it.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Zokalwe posted:

Unrelated question: What's the point of swapping Great Works of arts between cities (yours and the other players')? Doesn't look like it would change anything to the final output since it's always Great Writing vs Great Writing, Great Music vs Great Music, etc.

Buildings which have multiple Great Work slots (museums and various Wonders) have what's called a theming bonus. Basically, if you meet certain conditions, you get bonus culture and tourism out of the building. For instance, the Sistine Chapel wants you to have two works of art from the same civilization and era. So, if you put two Roman Renaissance works in there, you get +2 culture and tourism, but if there's a Venetian Medieval piece and a Korean Industrial piece, you don't get a bonus. Trading works makes this possible, especially with the buildings that want you to have works from different civilizations.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

I guess this is the best thread to ask in:

What are the best mods for Civilization IV, other than Fall From Heaven? I'd like something novel to kill my time with until Beyond Earth comes out.

Rhye's and Fall of Civilization is something I spent entirely too much time on back in the day. It's good enough that it (like FFH) was included in Beyond the Sword. It changes a bunch of things, most notably that civilizations spawn in roughly when they actually would, where they actually would. There's also the mechanic of civilizations collapsing, with a new Stability statistic that punishes you for doing things like expanding too quickly, sucking at war, and having nonsensical policy choices.

Civilizations have unique bonuses rather than leader traits. They also have unique victory conditions; for instance, Japan's are that there must be no foreign culture on Honshu at a certain date, they must never lose a city before a certain date, and they must finish the tech tree first. These make each civilization play very differently, as you have to do weird poo poo you might not otherwise do (such as America having to control 10 Oil resources by 2000, pretty much guaranteeing an invasion of the Middle East).

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Hahahahaha holy poo poo. I feel like a few things weren't exactly designed for one-city challenge. If you manage to culture-flip someone else's city to while in OCC, the city is instantly razed. I just got/deleted Samoa, which was Polynesia's second city and probably had some cool poo poo in it. They're still at -37 overall happiness, so I hope I can get some more instant kills out of this.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They realized that they could never aspire to make a greater culture than yours so they just nuked themselves in the hopes of achieving more in the afterlife.

Well, they were joined by the citizens of five other cities (:stare:) before they managed to revolution Polynesia into Freedom, so self-immolation is popular in this horrible world I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Someone on reddit found a... feature? Bug? Either way, you can now freely move the camera in the leader-meeting diplomacy screens when the AI initiates them.

Turns out they're actually 3D rendered and modeled, and you can move around to do... nothing, really. The environments only make sense when viewed from the default angle, but it's still fun to look around.

• Locked thread