Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^Brazil starts moving once you get Jungle science and Brazilwood camps, which essentially makes Jungles poo poo out everything but production. I like the idea of Pracinhas going to war, boosting tourism to the place you have DECLARED WAR ON :black101:

Snipee posted:

I really wanted to play as Byzantium, but once I actually went for it, it was hugely underwhelming. Pretty much everything about them were underwhelming. Maybe I am just really bad at religion?

The thing about religion is that you need to buckle the gently caress DOWN if you want your religion to blossom. That means beelining shrines and Stonehenge and taking Piety (maybe not as your opener, but like, after three policies into Tradition).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I feel as though Legion soldiers take longer to build roads than Workers. Is that just confirmation bias? Rome is great, though. Start early, build up a bunch of legions and trebuchets, and just straight up roll on the first Civ you meet and take their cap.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm pretty into Portugal right now, but that might be because I just really like coastal cities. (I have about 9 Crab luxuries in my current game.) Building a good production city, spitting out Naus every other turn, and shipping them around the world for money and city state bonuses.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I can see what they're getting at. I tend to not really like most mounted units, except for scouting and snatching up cities quickly after they're down to no health. Winged Hussars are pretty good, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ It really is dependent on your city's surroundings / what city-states are your friends / if you're at war. However, I tend to focus like this: +++Food building available, ++Science building available, +what the city needs right now, be it happiness / lowered stealing likelihood /faith. The more food you have, the more population, and the more population you have, more science. Fit in Gold buildings if you have a lot of Gold tiles nearby, but don't break your neck on them unless you have Population to spare on Specializing there. If building a few troops is cheaper than building a Worker, then you should build the troops, threaten a city-state and enslave a Worker.

I tend to be very slow on founding new cities. The main things I look for are ocean resources (three or more fish/crabs/whales will be enough for a booming coastal city), land luxuries and resources, proximity to Natural Wonders / mountains for observatories, and hills to turn into mines for production (which I tend to be weak at) and to slow down any invaders. A river is nice, but not mandatory.

Grain of salt, of course; I'm not a PRO CIV V player.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Krinkle posted:

Venice is just awful. Continents plus is just awful. No goddamn city states within 150 tiles of me. My land routes are raided constantly because nobody defends their borders. I got bombed by prophets and lost my faith. Nobody will build cities on the sea and whenever someone builds one within range it gets razed in two turns because they're fighting each other. Playing on large, for 20 goddamn city states, and I have found four. In the world. If there are 16 other city states here then they're all crammed like sardines in the the swirling mass of fog of war that I assume hides some land mass, but not nearly enough to explain where the other city states are.

Civ IV let you trade maps, yes?

There's a mod that restores that kind of functionality, along with Vassalage and Tech trading. Crashes like a motherfucker, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Maria Theresa's big ugly neck: casus belli.
(also Alexander and Enrico for having the GALL to try and steal my city-states away from me.)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One of my puppet cities as Venice has decided to produce Wealth, even though there's a bunch of basic buildings left to be built. Is there any way to dissuade them?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Antares posted:

How is your GPT? The only thing I can think is they tend to prioritize what they think you need, so if your income is low or negative they might favor wealth/markets/banks.

I had something like 200 GPT. :v They went back to buildings after a few turns, so I guess it was just an AI quirk.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Has anyone played At The Gates yet? Just in alpha right now, but it seems potentially interesting. Also: I would sooner have flaccid religions that I can rename to 'a hella joint' than named religions that give me a malus to growth in favor of production.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 26, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's a mod that lets you reforest terrain for Civ 5. It's not complete terraforming yet, but hey, it's a start. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I almost always prioritize a Scout. The opportunity to gain a free tech / a pantheon / a population boost is to good to pass up.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's a nice little mod that lets you build an observatory if the mountain is two tiles away from the city, which I think is pretty reasonable. (Of course, I think just having the mountain within your borders should count, but what do I know? :v: )

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

FreeMars posted:

I've been trying to use the msf mod, but I can't get it to show up in the mods list in game. Any suggestions?

Make certain it downloaded. Sometimes you'll have to close and restart Civ 5. The in-game mod guide is useful, but it doesn't always download correctly.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think we can all agree that Apples are far better an abstraction for food than Bread.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think an okay UA for America would be a bonus to growth per city based on how many trade routes to other Civilizations you have. Immigrants!

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Not to be all jingoistic but I think America won the Spanish-American war and was on the winning side, nominally, of the Great War. I don't know if you can say there was a winner in the Civil War but the Union ultimately prevailed.

The best part of the Civil War is that no matter who had won, America would have won. But on the other hand, no matter who you back, you're also anti-American. So I guess we have to consider it a wash. :v: Also, to the Egypt game up there, you need some military units right now. They are ready for war.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's a Churchill mod in the Workshop that I'm trying out in a game. He's pretty cool - like a naval-focused America. All naval units get +2 to Movement, which I thought was pretty good, because until Navigation, I don't like fighting a naval war. But then, I realized that all embarked units get +2 to Movement. It's not really balanced too well - Churchill with the Great Lighthouse and Exploration opened can see just about forever and zip around a sixth of the map in a turn. Britain The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland's got two UU's - one is a battleship that comes with Replaceable parts, is real fuckin' strong, and costs another GPT to maintain. Their other UU is a Redcoat, which is essentially just America's Minuteman wearing red. :v:

Oh, and he has twice as long sea trade routes. A little broken, but the Rapture / Geth bloc in the west is threatening to pull away. And I think Andrew Ryan may have bribed Attila to go to war with me. Pope Pius in the East has been asking me to go to war with Holland for quite a while now. Gandhi's been my best trade partner for a while, but I have been considering bringing Western Imperialism to those godless natives.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Isn't that just what you're supposed to do?

I couldn't do that to Gandhi! Who am I gonna sell my spices and blue jeans to, otherwise? Besides, by the time he even starts thinking about mining that strange bright-green rock, I'm already half-way to Alpha Centauri. :getin:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just loaded a Persian game where the world screen started wholly in fog before I game overed. :stare:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's about how many there were in base Alpha Centauri, and they were all really different. Besides, if the modding support is as robust as Civ5's, we'll have the Alpha Centauri gang in this...I'm calling, a month after release.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

nutranurse posted:

If you do play it I'd suggest you check out kyrub's SMAC AI & fixes patch or his SMACX AI & some fixes patch. They're first-playthrough friendly.

If you're an older player who happens to be reading this posting and thinking of getting back into the game, then some dude called Yitzi has been patching up his own patch for the past ~a long time. He's built on top of kyrub's AI stuff and allows you to change all kinds of stuff via a .txt file included with the patch. Here's the changelog and the download.

Dude, why do you have to do this to me. I've got things to do other than bring Morgan Industries into a new golden age.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

FoF posted:

Was there ever any fix for workers just deciding to do nothing while tiles are pillaged/full of fallout?

To be fair, we don't really know what to do with fallout, either. :v: Toggling them off and on auto-working seems to do the job in the former case, at least. Also check to see if an enemy unit isn't adjacent or close enough to capture -- they'll ask for orders if there is.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It may not have been upgraded! You can pay the city-state in their bribe generous donation screen to upgrade a resource. Only works with strategic materials, far as I know, though. And I *think* the CS must have the technology necessary to create that improvement. You might be able to sneak on a fishing boat or worker if there's no improvements on there already and you're friends or better with them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Korea does best if they're isolationist as hell and just building coastal cities to send food to its cities, so a terrible exploration boat almost makes sense.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Playing with the Civ IV Diplomacy mod. Portugal just gave me Astronomy gratis. :catbert: What's your plan, Maria?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Hatter106 posted:

I can't seem to attack coastal cities with my privateers, even though the game says that's their main purpose. What am I doing wrong?

What do you mean? They're melee units (and essentially Caravels 2.0 because Ironclads are garbage). Move them into the coastal city and they'll attack.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dido and William are probably my favorite stock Civs to play as. I feel unclean building non-coastal cities, and polders are so darn pretty. :allears:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man, I just played a round of Civ 4. Bring back local unhappiness and the draft please, Firaxis.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I kinda liked bringing whipping all the way to the modern age in Civ 4 only to swap to the 'unhappiness+ to all those not using this' civic when it no longer became necessary. Sickness? Grab the whips. Unruliness? The draft is coming back.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Tangentially related to Civ, but Firaxis just announced their own convention. :xcom: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/firaxicon-official-firaxis-games-convention-tickets-12291102017 It's in Maryland, weekend of September 27th. Just me, or does that seem a little short notice for a convention?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 21, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Which Civ game had the leaders modernize with the time period? Because punk rocker Joan d'Arc was pretty good.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is there a mod to get rid of the trend of denouncement trains? Jesus, guys, I'm doing everyone a favor in the long run by getting rid of Greece. You should be thanking me.

e: I have a 'less-warmongering' mod, but that seems a little too over the top.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 12, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Thanks, all. I mean, this isn't my first Civ rodeo, I just realized how terrible warmongering in vanilla BNW was without mods.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Washout posted:

What are the best mods for making managing happiness a bit less onerous? The best thing I've read about it so far is that happiness seems like 70% of the game, you pretty much have to spend the most time and effort of your civ managing happiness and worrying about what religion or culture you are taking is almost totally dependant on which one will give you the most happiness to the exclusion of everything else.

So are there any mods that just tweak this a little bit? I don't want some kind of infinite happiness mod. I just don't want happiness to be the dominant reason for nearly every decision I make in my empire, including feeling like I'm being limited to choosing civs that give easy to use happiness buildings like egypt.

I realise that I could be going for a tall empire instead of a wide one and it would be a bit easier, but I'd still be primarily concerned with making sure I built every single happiness building possible in every city, it just seems too dominant of a requirement regardless of empire type.

Really Advanced Setup -> No Happiness setting. Alternatively, get one of the mods that adds more luxury resources, and the mods that gets rid of AI happiness bonuses to put an abundance of luxuries on the field, but more competition for them.
Or, try Gandhi. His bonus works weird ways with going wide.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fintilgin posted:

I loved that feature too. But it's hard to see it ever returning with how expensive graphical content is. Especially because for the cost of 4 era specific leader outfits for say, Shaka, they could probably make 3 whole new 'static' Civ leaders.

In my ~ideal~ world though, where Civ VI has Call of Duty's budget, they'd take it even further, with era specific war outfits. So when you're at peace with Washington during the mid game he's like vanilla Civ V, but when you're at war he's out in the field on horseback in a Colonial army uniform. When you're in the modern era, he's sitting in the Oval Office at peace, and in camo fatigues in front of a humvee, with a assault rifle when at war. :3:

Yeahhhh, man. This just got me pumped about Civ 3 again. Alright, let's take the leaders from 3, the advisors from 2 (or just Elvis), combat & vassalage systems of 4, trade routes, religion, and ideologies of 5.

And also it's in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFQDeYXq_iw
:allears: the cobblestones beneath our feet have more learning than we do, sii-iii-ire.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 31, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How did it break?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's funny to see London has been captured by Panama City!!

Panama City has set London ablaze!!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Multiplayer patch incoming, according to the Firaxis twitter. http://www.civilization.com/en/news/2014-12-civilization-v-multiplayer-update-in-progress/

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Goonpack owns. Might be interference because I just upgraded from my old hardly-better-than-a-laptop piece of crap to Some God drat Alienware but I am really enjoying this. See if maybe there's something you could do about going to Strategic Mode provoking a CTD about a third of the time? And the Diplomacy tab sdtraight up doesn't work anymore. :p Owns, otherwise. Thanks for making this, Poizen Jam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^

Also Goonpack2 works great so far. Some weirdness with CTDs around a particular Decision -- a dead Great Artist, I think? But I should be saving more anyway. :v:

• Locked thread