Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So started my new game, playing as Arabia to buck the trend and let everyone else try out Venice first.

Good to know the world gen is still capable of spitting out gems like these. I know where my first settler is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is it...with the sheep on the hill by the river? Or on the Desert between everything?

No seriously....even after hundred + hours I still don't always drop my first settler right and trust the AI where it tells me to drop future settlers. I am finally getting better at NOT doing that but still :(

Apparently no 3rd party site like GMG/whatever besides Steam has keys yet. Interesting

Normally, I'd say on the hill for the production bonus and such. In fact I'm still tempted. Yet at the same time, with that perfect ring of 5 floodplain wheat and 1 sheep with a blank spot in the middle it's hard to resist filling up the empty floodplain.

Edit:

isndl posted:

Rush-buy a Granary and watch that city become a monster. :stare:

Even better, that would put me right next to Belgrade which knows the secret of the Hwach'a. A nice, short, safe trade route for my first caravan that will earn me influence points.

At least I think trade routes earn influence...it would make sense.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 9, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Okay, you can't post this and not show us how big this city gets. Just imagine if you were playing Netherlands and rolled a spot like that :allears:

I would be swearing incoherently if I was Netherlands. You can't build Polders on floodplains with other resources on them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Welp, I think this game is lost. Suleimon was postering aggressively but I was confident that I had enough composites to hold him off.

Then he built the Terracotta army and, well, gently caress. Gonna see how long I can hold him off but he's doing a rather good :killdozer: impression from sheer mass.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gort posted:

Didn't Petra get nerfed in BNW?

And holy poo poo, they nerfed ceremonial burial but left Tithe exactly the same? Now the running for "best religion" isn't even close.

Not so much "nerfed" as "redesigned". It no longer gives gold but it does give a trade route which is a far more powerful tool.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gort posted:

What are good social policies for Venice? If they can get two free merchants from Liberty, that seems like a no-brainer to me.

Also, do the Zulus basically just make Germany obsolete?

I wouldn't say Germany's obsolete...quite. It's close though, and now that I'm thinking of the question it's a lot closer than I thought.

Germany can still out-produce their absurdly cheap unique pikemen that are still cheaper than Shaka's. However Shaka's Impi are so absurdly powerful it really doesn't matter that much and that's not even counting the Buffalo upgrades that the Ikhanda gives.

For reference, a pre-gunpowder melee unit built at an Ikhanda receives "Buffalo Horns" for free which is +1 movement, +10% strength on plains, +10% defense against ranged and +25% to flanking. Having "Horns" also unlocks the ability to get "chest" and "loins" which give the same combat bonuses (but not the movement) as the first one.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh man, trade routes are awesome for tech. You don't even have to actually have fallen behind the other guys to get the free beakers, you just have to have different techs and you'll start generating free beakers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

isndl posted:

Well, it seems clear that my standard openings are shot and that I'm going to have to relearn my early game strategies. Cash is weirdly valuable yet unimportant because you can't get enough to afford anything in the beginning, and the AI loving loves religion now - I dropped myself down to a lower difficulty and I've still never seen them go so fast. Culture feels a little bit easier to get, probably because of the new Great Works stuff.

Early caravans seem kinda meh - the gold they generate isn't particularly good considering how easy it is for them to die. Haven't messed with food or hammer caravans yet to see how that turns out. Could be a nice way to get those fresh border cities up and running without relying on rush-buying.

I keep hearing "oh the caravans suck because they die too easily" when that isn't my experience. I keep getting rather crowded areas (I think I have city states set up above average for the world size) which are relatively safe even with raging barbarians on after everyone expands just a bit. When there's a bunch of cities effectively next door to each other it makes it a lot safer for caravans, which makes them very good money makers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

My biggest (yet minor) gripe about the trade caravans is that they have no cultural flavor right now in the early game. Everyone just has the same set of camels with minor highlights for civ colors.

You don't see the European civs using carts and horses/oxen. You don't see the Native American tribes using dogs dragging sleds. You don't see the inca leading a train of llamas, so on and so forth.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Krazyface posted:

What does France's new improvement do? I've looked around but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.

You build it adjacent to a luxury, but not adjacent to another Chateau. So if you alternated tiles you could have 3 Chateaus around one luxury. It provides 2 culture and 1 gold as well as the same defensive bonus as a fort. It provides and additional 1 culture and 2 gold (making it 3 each) when flight is researched.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So if anyone's trying out the new culture victory, it seems that getting the writer's guild up and running as fast as you can is a very good starting place. Most of the early wonders/buildings with slots are for writing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jastiger posted:

So I got the GMG thing and I see a key in my GMG Library. How do I enter my Steam Key to get it activated in Steam so I can launch and play?

Games drop down menu at the very top -> Activate a product on Steam.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

According to Mad Djinn's stream a few days ago, it's not that major of a penalty, it only really deeply impacts super wide empires that are nothing but size 2-3 cities. Which has always been a play style Firaxis has been trying to discourage.

Also related: They did reduce the culture penalty from cities.

They reduced the culture penalty, but unless you're really pushing it's a lot harder to create culture. You can't just build an Amphitheater or Opera House. You have to slot a song or poem into them to get more than a pittance.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It's Pedro-mandated CARNIVAL TIME!

First 10-turn Carnival (third of the game) gives me just enough culture to grab the last policy in the Liberty tree, which is the one that gives me a golden age. With the Liberty tree done, I grab a Great Engineer and rush the Taj Majal.

30 turns of dancing and partying in the street, and their ain't nothing anyone can do to stop my doubled tourism or my increased liberal art major output!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rirse posted:

Didn't follow a lot of the news about this new expansion, so I'm seeing the new mechanics as they come up and loving it. But I have to ask, I made a merchant to start a trade route, but only had the option to go with a city state that is south of my country. Can I always cancel that route later on, or that going until the unit does or the country gets conqueror?

A caravan or cargo ship will run it's route for 30 turns (regardless of game speed) and then ask if you want to give it a new route or go back to the old one.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea, up till Renaissance all I really did was build poo poo to boost my culture and anything with 'great artist/writer/musician slot' but by the time I was dropping Brasilwood Camps I was turning to a steamroller.

I totally neglected religion, which I'm pretty sure was one of my big problems. Also I think I expanded a bit much, I had a good little four city empire going but the Incas to the north of me were huge and making me nervous about being able to get some luxury stuff that was still a few hexes out so I jumped the gun.

Oh and I never used archaeology, everyone around me was all peaceful and happy to be friends so I never found any battlegrounds.

Even in my (failed) peaceful tourism run I used a ton of Archeology. Just because you didn't fight other civs doesn't mean you didn't fight barbarians, or didn't clean up some goodie huts. Both have a chance to generate a site.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Verviticus posted:

Has anyone captured a handaxe as germany? Does it upgrade into a gatling gun?

According to the Civilopedia it upgrades into a Knight. Remember, it's a replacement for a Chariot Archer, not a normal Archer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I've played multiple games, have yet to win. I finally decided to step down from King to Prince, which sucks because I fought hard to get the skills to move up from Prince while still having fun. The changes and the AI improvements really make it so that many players will need to take a step down in difficulty.

Also, Diplomacy seems to actually matter, as in if you're friendly the AI will actually respect your requests. In my longest running failed game as Brazil, Maria Teresa went mad with religion and started to spread it to my cities, removing my own nice religion. I politely asked her to stop after the first one and she did...for the entire game! She never tried to convert a city again outside of pressure wars that I was always winning due to Religious Texts. I know she was constantly spamming missionaries because she kept sending them across my territory to spread elsewhere, but she never tried to convert my cities again.

Ainsley McTree posted:

With trade routes, does resource diversity take into account your city connections, or does it only include the resources available to the actual city of origin for the trade route? For example if I'm establishing a trade route from one of my cities that has access to Cotton and Silk, but it's also connected by road to the capital, which has access to Oranges and Salt, will the resource diversity bonus be based on all four resources, or only the two that are present at the city?

I'm just trying to figure out good rules of thumb for setting up trade routes; I wish the game gave you an overview of all potential trade routes (by both land and sea) from all of your cities so that you could make a more informed decision...I feel like I'm guessing a lot of the time.

Only the improved Luxury and Strategic resources the city itself is able to gather. And note that having multiples of a single resource does not affect this in any way (which is a shame because that would make Arabia's UB even more insane).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Magicaljesus posted:

I don't know about this. Portugal prophet bombed my holy city, so I asked her to stop. She agreed. The very next turn she converted my second city. We had a DOF and were on friendly terms. I think AI generally respects requests, which is certainly a change, but it's not black and white. I have yet to figure it out.

It might depend on AI personality. Also, remember that in life Maria I was literally bat-poo poo, screaming banshee insane, so take anything she says with a heaping mound of salt.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Perhaps I'm dumb, but the gold given to the other civ on trade routes, that's not coming from my pocket, right? It's just a benefit for them, or am I actually providing the gold they receive?

Any and all resources a trade route create are created from thin air. It's just that you're trading, so the merchants at the other end are still making a good deal, they're just not making bank like the merchants at your end.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Wu Zetian literally beat me on a tie to get Printing Press. Now that I finally have wrested control from her I can show the world what a responsible adult I am.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea says right in the tool bar after founding a city that the religion system is off. Not seeing an option for it in advanced game set up or the main options menu itself.

Did you somehow accidentally start the Smokey Skies or another scenario?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So I've gotta say, controlling the World Council (on in my case the "Wu's a Bitch") makes it so much easier to some crazy culture domination.

Right now I currently have the following enacted:
  • +3 culture from world wonders
  • +33% generation speed for all of the Great Artist types
  • +2 culture from every Great Person tile improvement (landmarks still count as GP improvements)
  • +4 culture from Landmarks.

Now mix all of that massive pile of bonus culture with Hotels that generate 1 tourism for every 2 culture generated by terrain, world wonder or national wonder and you've got a beast. That's not even counting the Freedom tenets I have active. For reference I've also got:

• Landmarks and Great Person improvements generate +4 of the appropriate yield (New Deal)
  • +34% Tourism to cities with Broadcast Towers in them (Media Culture)

Edit: And I just won due to a single Great Musician dropping an obscene amount of Tourism (something over 1,000) on Atilla. Taking my cultural domination of him from 92% to 103.5%.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 11, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Brannock posted:

Because of how trade routes work now, you'll have a few random followers of other religions even in your holy cities - but they won't be a threat to your religion, and the Indonesian UB lets you really take advantage of having the varied religions you'll have anyway if you focus on trade.

If you went piety this is even better. With religious tolerance you also get the pantheon of the second place religion in a city which can be really useful. I had Stone Circles in a lot of my cities due to this in my last game, which was great because nearly every one of my cities besides the capitol had at least one stone/marble resource. I imagine having such is even nicer as Indonesia with their UB.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fargo Fukes posted:

With the Steam sale coming up I'm looking for advice whether I should buy Civ 5 or not. Can anyone help me out? Some background info:

I had trouble getting in to Civ 4 because I felt overwhelmed by the amount of micromanagement it demanded to play properly, I always had the nagging feeling that everything was being run sub-par. This looks like it streamlines some features like happiness, but also presents plenty of stuff to juggle. Are you finnicking with settings and production every turn or are decisions largely fire-and-forget?

Civ V is pretty streamlined, yes. If you're playing at Warlord (3/8) or Prince (4/8) difficulties you can pretty much play however and have fun however you want. It's only at King (5/8) and greater you need to actually care about micromanagement. Even then it's generally just remembering to check your big production or great-person cities every few 10-15 turns, if that. Just chose a difficulty level you find fun and relaxing and go with that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sacro posted:

Ignoring religion entirely seems like a good idea unless you plan on making that a big focus of your game. The bonuses are great but the AI is very aggressive about spreading their religions, unless you're parking inquisitors in all your cities and get some serious early game edge on religion spreading and hammer through world religion, you're probably better off trying for other wonders and getting tradition.

As far as cultural victories go, you need science. Getting archaeology, hotels, airports, the hotel national wonder, and the internet is what will win you the game. You don't win a cultural victory in the renaissance so stop looking at your meager early-mid game tourism bonus then and saying "it will take 500 turns to win this is impossible" because once you get the later techs your tourism gets multiplied very quickly and you win in only a few turns. The internet tech is a straight 100% tourism bonus, if you have hotels and airports in every city that's another huge chunk that's likely well over 100% bonus if you have some world wonders or landmarks, you can save the 100% tourism bonus from the world congress if you're in control of it til late game, etc. Also get open borders and trade routes and same idealogies and religion for another 100% bonus! Then watch as a single great musician that spawned after any of this wins you the game instantly.

You can win culture earlier than that if you know what you're doing but it's true the culture does skyrocket late game. Especially when you finally get Hotels. In my Assyrian Culture Domination last night I won just as I hit modern age due to hotels, Freedom, and control of the world congress. Having hotels when your territory is dotted with Landmarks generating 12-13 culture mixed with +34% tourism from radio towers generates lots of suitcases.

Also don't forget that Great Musicians can go on concert tours in foreign lands to generate an obscene amount of tourism at once.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Each great work has a unique name, artwork, and the books have quotes. There is naturally only a limited number of these made by Firaxis and in 22 civ games, you're going to run into that relatively quickly. It may not be balanced for high civ counts particularly well, but it's definitely intended for there to be a limit.

Still, there should be some sort of counter or notification that "All unique great writers and works of art have been used up." so you don't reach this point of confusion.

Also, if they were struggling for great writers, I'm sure they could imagine tossing in some stuff like movies or plays. I'd love to get George Lucas to produce "Star Wars" as a play for the Mayans in the classical era. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sacro posted:

This is pretty much what I was saying, your tourism ramps up significantly after you get the relevant techs. It's hard to get tourism in the beginning of the game because culture output is also relatively low and being able to win the game in the classical era via culture would be silly. Tourism goes up very slowly then gets dramatically increased by industrial and later techs. The informaion era bonuses are incredible overkill if you know what you're doing, but they're meant to end the game and they do that very well.

Ah, okay, I thought you were saying that you could only win late game with all that stuff. I did fairly well without most of it but that's because I dominated the gently caress out of my world's culture production (at least once Attila devoured China, my only competitor) and world congress. It's still probably the earliest non-domination victory available if you know what you're doing and get really lucky, followed by diplomacy and science.

Also, do not discount Great Musicians. They create a massive glob of tourism in one turn. I'm not sure what the exact formula is but the end result is something around 10x your tourism output.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I was actually wondering how late the artworks went, like is there rock songs? I'm only at 1890.

Something that did annoy me is i started getting great artists long before I had any place to put them.

And when I get an archeological site, is it better to make a landmark or stick it in a museum? I love how it says "plundered by", very apt for early archeology.

It all depends. Archeological sites for ancient/classical eras can produce HUGE amounts of culture, which can then be converted into HUGE amounts of tourism by hotels and airports. With the right World Council or Tenets they can produce even more culture. If they're near your cities, go ahead, just remember they're only good for tourism if you have the proper buildings in your cities.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Well, between the summer sale and the international release of BNW it looks like the Steam store is completely down.

Edit: oh, no, it's back now. Hope you international folk get it soon.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

A Tartan Tory posted:

Goddamn, if anyone hasn't tried out Morocco, you really need to. With the right conditions, you can out-Venice Venice..

Get a decent starting desert with as much incense/gold/silver/sheep/desert hills as possible, get desert folklore and get an amazing early religion while you beeline a traditional tradition start to get a great library -> currency slingshot to get out a petra and a market/mint asap. So, so many 1 faith/4 production/3 food tiles from sheep and 1 food/1faith/4gold/4prod from gold tiles and thats before you even start rocking the kasbah like you REALLY want to poo poo out gold and production.

It really does depend on the start, you really do need those gold/sheep (or incense to get out monasteries for a poo poo tonne of culture) but when it starts rolling..it starts rolling! Lots of fun, really recommended.

Going to try another version of this start with Holy Warriors, to see if my Islamic hordes can murder everyone before the medieval era.

I'm out Venicing Venice as Carthage on a Small Continents map. I'm making massive amounts of money from my city connections and trade routes due to my free harbors, I haven't built a single road yet. I also managed to get both the Colossus and, somehow, Petra (even if it is only affecting 3 tiles) for the free trade routes. I'm also pulling the Papal Primacy and Consulates combination to force any CS with my religion to be at least Friend status.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Brannock posted:

Huh. I had a city-state gift me a Merchant of Venice. I didn't know the Patronage finisher would let you get Merchants of Venice.

Yes you can use them to buy out city-states. Not that I really want to, their World Congress votes are too valuable.

Well, you could have city states gift Khans before so it makes sense. It's absolutely absurd but it makes sense.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

What all Techs/wonders give trade routes now? I dunno if I'm missing any but here's my list:
    Techs:
  • Animal Husbandry
  • Sailing
  • Engineering
  • Compass
  • Biology
  • Flight

Wonders:
  • Petra
  • Colossus

Am I missing any trade routes or is that it?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

victrix posted:

So uh... this is probably a known broken tactic, but if it was known before BNW, I can't believe they didn't fix it.

Playing an Immortal game, Darius I was wayyyyyyyyyyyy in the lead. Way, way in the lead.

Until I convinced him to loan me ~14k of his 24k fortune for a promise of tons of gold and resources for 30 turns.

... which don't really matter much when you declare war the next turn and then buy up an endless fleet of submarines :getin:

That seems broken as all hell, or at least exploitive of AI on higher difficulty settings.

They didn't "fix" it, but they nerfed it. You can only trade lump sums of gold if you've got a DOF, which means that you got a nasty diplo penalty against everyone when you declared war on someone you had a DOF with.

Which, of course, you probably really don't care about with your massive submarine fleet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I am way too amused by the ability to rename the World Congress.

Everyone keeps loving my suggestions for "events" at the World Farting Contest, except for Maria Teresa who can't understand why she can't get Catholicism to be the world religion when only her and Napoleon (the founder) are the only followers of it.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 14, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Wait, how do you rename it? Do you have to be leader? Where's the rename option?

If you're the leader there's a tiny, tiny word that says "Rename" next to the words "World Congress" at the top of the window.

My last successful game I named it "Wu's a Bitch" when I managed to wrest control because she literally stole the founding from me due to turn order.

Edit: and yes, you do have to be the leader.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So is there such a thing as non-ancient era artifacts? How am I supposed to fill out the Louvre?

Yup. Artifacts generated from events happening in the later age. It's just that so many, MANY of the events will be ancient era due to how many barbarians you will fight.

RagnarokAngel posted:

There are, I think ancient is just more common.

But you should probably be filling the Louvre with art, not artifacts. Using the same icon was an incredibly stupid idea because they aren't the same thing.

Louvre requires 2 art and 2 artifacts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I know the game makes up about half of the events/ruins out of whole cloth, but I love how absurd they can get.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I never sent anyone or anything besides an auto-explore caraval before, but apparently my Carthaginians were the first to try to settle the north pole in my game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

Did you have an automated scout that popped a ruin there? Ruins can cause dig sites to show up.

Nope. My only scout (on small continents there's really not a reason to make more than 1) died long before I got the ability to cross oceans.

I KNOW the game makes up events out of whole cloth to make sure there's so many sites. My last game I had a dig site that said it was a ruin belonging to a city state in a tile adjacent to my capitol. Made no sense but I didn't mind having an ancient era landmark next to my capitol. Honestly, I don't mind. It gives a sense that perhaps we, the players, don't actually get to know and control everything going on. Just everything of any consequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea especially when the list is bloated with options it's really a legitimate annoyance to look for the one marked as your last one.

I discovered the ability to re-order the list according to GPT generated and that made my life so much easier. It's the atomic era and I don't care about a couple points of science when I'm making +1.8K/turn, nor do I care about religion when everything is nice and welded into place like it is.

• Locked thread