Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I can confirm that Morocco with Petra is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gort posted:

Wait a second - if you trade food or production to one of your cities, is that food just created from nothingness? I assumed you were just redistributing existing goods, not creating them out of thin air! A tradition strategy as Venice where all your bought city-states trade Venice food might be insanely good - Venice would grow large with half-unhappiness citizens, and use its own trade routes to make money.

Can't wait to get off work and try it.

The problem with this would be locking away each trade route used like that since you don't want Venice to starve after growing so much.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Having a trading route with another civ gives you a 25% bonus to tourism rate.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

You can swap them with people, look under the greats works section and there's a way to trade them with other civs.

No they said swap out different kinds of works.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Jesuit Education: May build Universities, Public Schools, and Research Labs with Faith.

These are disgustingly cheap by the way.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Prism posted:

But does the price go up as you buy more of them, like it does for Faith-bought Great People?

No.

I think it's something between 160 and 220 for a University. I can't remember exactly. I was getting something around 50 faith a turn at that point.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fryhtaning posted:

There have been like 3 explanation in the last couple of pages - just read back and all shall be answered. Starting with this one.

Well that's a link to the quote you responded to.

E: here's a good explanation

Triskelli posted:

Looks like Bazookas still have a 1-tile ranged attack like gatling guns and machine guns. Was kinda hoping they would be bumped back up to two tiles in the face of how fast units are moving at the end of the game.

Also! Some modders got a look at the XML code, and here's a handy guide to curating Great Works for fun and profit!

Museum
Museum requirements are picked at random! Try experimenting!

Hermitage
Only holds Great Works
Each Work should be from a different Era
Each Work should be from a different Player
Gives +3 bonus Culture and Tourism if properly curated

Oxford University
Holds Great Works and Artifacts
Each Exhibit should be from a foreign Civ
Gives +2 bonus Culture and Tourism if properly curated

Sistine Chapel
Only holds Great Works
Each Work should be from the same Era
Each Work should be from the same Player

Lourve
Should contain an equal number of Artifacts and Great Works of Art
Each Exhibit should be from a different Era
Each Exhibit should be from a different Player
Gives +4 bonus Culture and Tourism if properly curated

Great Library
Each Exhibit should be from a different Player

Sydney Opera House
Each Exhibit should be from the same Player

Uffizi
Only holds Great Works
Each Work should be from the same Era
Each Work should be from the same Player

Globe Theater
Each Exhibit should be from the same Era

Broadway
Each Exhibit should be from the same Era

But also just hover your mouse over the [+0] thing and it will tell you what to do to get the theme bonus.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

God drat. This game is more intense and I was a bit thrown as to how to approach it but I was definitely hosed by my starting location. Within the bounds of my empire and the two nearest city states to me there is one source of horses, but 0 iron and 0 coal. Denmark was just to the south of me and was plotting against me the whole game but didn't declare until I was just about to hit Modern Era. I had a tiny military and had left much of the bottom tech tree to the wayside in favour of gunning the top so he invaded me with ski infantry and cannons vs pikemen and crossbows with a few Gatling guns. He also had far more units in total. I don't know if I'll be able to win the game but I'll be pleased if I can at least lose with dignity, with Alexander being elected leader of the world or something.

I've got 10 turns left until I can get the freedom benefit that gives 6 free foreign legions. If I get that I'm probably good.

E: also on the other continent Attila wiped out Pachacuti and Washington before I met them, I rarely see that happen.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 11, 2013

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Poizen Jam posted:

Just so no-one thinks I'm nuts- this is kind of annoying as all hell.

Great writer in city, city has a free spot, no option to create great work of writing. I'm thinking it has to be related to a gameplay feature, like no more works to create, since the icon is flat out missing rather than greyed out.

Send this as part of a bug report or something.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You have to have 3 factories.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:allears: Dong Island

Hey if you capture a Great Work and you don't have any slots for it, or if you burn a city that has a great work in it, do you lose the great work?

Yes you do lose the Great Work

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 16, 2013

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Another good use for religion in multiplayer is making fun jokes with your friends by naming your religion silly things. If you don't get the first religion, name your religion something similar to theirs but better. [Eg. If they name their religion "A big dick", name yours "A bigger dick"]

You can also irritate your opponents by spreading your stupid "Loud Farts" religion to all their cities

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JVNO posted:

-Vanilla lancers? As opposed to a unique lancer...?

militaristic city states all have a unique unit from a civ not in the game that they'll give to you if you ally with them. If you hover over militaristic you'll see "Luxemburg has unlocked the secrets of the Samurai" or something like that, meaning that it will give you Samurai when you Ally with it. I haven't played with the mod pack yet but it sounds like the issue is something along the lines of "Luxemburg has unlocked the secrets of the Lancer" which would be less useful

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That's an ok time to do a quick 50 coin pop for a resource imo.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I'm relatively new to Civ 5, but I love this game. It's a lot of fun!

RyokoTK posted:

These are pretty bad games, aren't they.

:xcom:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

In fairness, I've been playing Civ games for about 20 years (I skipped 4, though), so I already knew they were bad, they're just also fun despite being bad.

I would agree

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:shrug: I prefer tall play. I don't usually feel super expansionist. Maybe I'll go back and try out cIV sometime and see if that changes but I just like getting my 4 cities being happy.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In your opinion, what is the best tile for a city?

Relevant information: I am playing as the Incas on a small continents map.

My analysis:

I feel like the best spot is the plains hill to the northwest of the wheats but I don't know if that's worth the city not being coastal.

E: here's where i plan on putting my other two cities, just to the north

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 14, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

It's hardly a great city, but I'm assuming that's your best option since you aren't really showing us anywhere else.

Eh?

I was pretty excited about this, I figured wheat floodplains, deer and fish give me a lot of food and a good number of hills for production. What's it lacking?

The White Dragon posted:

I would move your right-side plan to be adjacent to Mt. Fuji.

Oh, yeah, not sure why I didn't already put the dot there.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Luxury resources imo. Which ones are in your capital? It's really close and there's a ton of it nearby so I'm just kinda assuming that one of your spawns was Gold.

Yeah, nothing but gold and whales (and that one buffalo) on this island. 7 gold in total actually, so looks like the plan will be to trade my way through.

I find city placement discussions pretty interesting, I'm happy enough with my own city placing abilities but it's nifty to see what different people take into account when placing cities.

As a broader question, not focused on my particular map, how much do you value settling on a coast?

Also, how often do you settle on resources?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Here's how that city ended up:

It was pretty good imo.

If I were to do this over again (And I just might as an experiment) I'd put it on the tile northeast of that. The main reason I didn't do that was to give myself a little room to squeeze another city in, which I didn't end up having. IDK if it's always been at least 4 tiles between cities and I just forgot because I've been playing more Civ IV lately or if that's a CBP change.

This was my first game with the CBP as well. I didn't notice a huge difference to the point that I was worried I didn't install it properly before I remembered the UI is very different. from what I understand it's somewhat modular and I may need to do some stuff to activate most of it? I normally go with emperor so I played on Prince because CBP is supposed to be much tougher, but I think I undershot it by about two levels because it wasn't a challenge.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Big cities generate a lot of beakers and Pachacuti generally gets a lot of production from his hills so science and military are strong routes as well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IMO go desert faith+holy warriors and then crank out that poo poo. A fun deviation from the standard stuff.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I used to do no settler runs as the huns and one time I had an lp all ready to go but then BNW came out and screwed up my saves and strategies. I should look into doing that again.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What happens when barbarians capture a capital city?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I can't not be excited for a civ game. The new design choice is interesting, guess they're leaning into stylized art and hard lines than the realism and smooth borders the last game was going for?

Combined arms sounds like a good development on 1UPT, I feel like 1UPT was a positive change over deathstacks but there were still flaws to work around.

Active research sounds like a cool way to make science victories less boring.

The expansive cities thing sounds interesting, I wonder if that works like Endless Legend?

Jump King fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 11, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

This is good news but not surprising because he designed the two expansions for Civ5.

In keeping with tradition he's most likely to gently caress this one up and then they'll bring some other developer to fix it across 2 expansions

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I like the art, but it definitely does have a bit of mobile game feeling.

Rakthar posted:

For those that are digging it, what about it appeals?

I like when games lean into style over realism myself. I think it's easier to get things to look good stylistically than realistically but that's just my opinion.

I'm not sure if it works for this game based on three sceenshots, but I'm optimistic.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Did Soren Johnson not do the Civ 4 xpacs?

I know Jon Shafer was at least highly involved in their development, and then went on to make Civ V. IDK if he was the head designer for them or just a designer.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have to say that my initial reaction to that art style was negative. It's much more cartoony, which isn't inherently a bad thing but majorly informs the tone of the game, and I'm not sure I want a cartoony Civ game.

The Human Crouton posted:

Art style turns me off immediately. In a small part because I don't like it, but mostly because I fear they will make my favorite game cutesy, simple game.

These are fair concerns but so far everything I've read seems to be saying the right stuff to indicate that it won't happen?

I do like when the games diverge a little bit though, if it's different enough from Civ V they won't be directly competing with a game that has been developed longer. That turned a lot of people off of Civ V early on, since they could just play Civ IV.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean, every civ game has lofty promises with diplomacy so I'll wait on the specifics of that but hoo boy I'm an optimist

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

What I'm hoping: active research will help with the "science wins everything" by keeping civs that are less than 100% science competitive in their own domains, so science civs can't just out-culture culture civs and out-military military civs by getting to all the good techs first.

What will actually happen: there will be several hilariously broken science acceleration research bonuses and the post-release metagame revolves around whatever arbitrary activity contributes active research for Writing and Education etc.

:agreed:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I thought the wonder screens from civ v were good.

What they need to bring back are these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPC08cPGJw

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

DOOMocrat posted:

Can't wait for somebody to pull a Diablo 3 by loading this thing into paint.net and turning the brightness down, with posts of "THERE, FIXED!"

Found it:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

DOOMocrat posted:

Bright does not equal low poly or badly lit. I spent entirely too much on a nice IPS monitor, bring on the technicolor triremes.

I'm really surprised people are calling them low poly given how detailed they are.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Has anyone complaining this looks like Clash of Clans actually ever seen what Clash of Clans looks like? They're not even close to similar.

Bright colours = Farmville and Clash of Clans.

I get the comparison on some level though, the palette is a bit reminiscent of that, not any real knock on the art style, just an unfortunate connection a lot of people make.

The exciting thing about the art is that you should be able to tell what's going on without switching into strategic view.

IDK if this is a joke or not but I'd legitimately be happy with that. (Not that I often play with animations on)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I really like Civ V but didn't like EL that much. Some people love it though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The description of the AIs and diplo stuff makes it sound like they're going to go into the simulation AI theory rather than the play like players playing to win AI theory

Whether that's good enough or bad is up to you.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It is good. With a game like Civ, making a competent plays-to-win AI is the kind of thing that would require multiple people with Ph.Ds in expert systems and so on to implement. There's no way that Firaxis is going to devote that kind of effort; they'd get much better returns by just making the PvP systems more robust (which they probably won't do either, of course). Simulationist AIs are hard enough as it is, but they're still much, much easier than "fellow board game player" AIs.

I agree, when they try to implement the latter system it just results in frustrating stuff like somebody you've been buds with since the dawn of time getting angry at you because you're building the space shuttle

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

they always gotta start with the most zoomed in shots so as to be a massive tease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Civilization VI: Clash of Khans

• Locked thread