Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Prince Reggie K posted:

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, but the characters seem much less... real? The huge eyes and lip gloss. The transformation scene was crap, it didn't have any flow, just a series of weird first person noodly limbs.

I’ve been watching the original show for the first time, and I share your frustrations. The animators seemed to place a big emphasis on keeping the characters' pretty faces pretty, so they never pull the goofy cartoony faces from the old show, which is a drat shame since it sucks a lot of the personality out of the show.

There are still things about the old show that bother me, like how the voiceacting and lip flaps don’t sync up half the time and the hilariously long reused animation scenes, especially for the attacks; the long pauses make me very uncomfortable. At least Moon Tiara Boomerang in Crystal is looking decently paced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

CherryCat posted:

I've still not been able to find a version that doesn't translate "Youma" to Evil, slightly frustrating.

Aren't there only like two versions that do that though? Unless you're talking about the official nico-nico subs, which yeah.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can only find the official subs, whatever airs on Crunchyroll. I've been trying to find a fansub group fixing the subtitles to actually be decent but I haven't had any luck so far, I figure because it's on a lot more shaky ground than other fansubs would be.

The script comparisons here might be of use.

The site does have external links to fansub sites, so if it's not kosher, I'll remove it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrPaper posted:

So is the new Sailor Moon good or does everyone hate it?

Easily the worst part of the show is the subtitles.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

More importantly, what's the Japanese Twitter/Pixiv watch got so far? I'd imagine more than a few prominent artists are watching themselves some Crystal right now.

You can get a pretty good pulse in the Sailor Moon tags' home page on Pixiv with the weekly top three. Note that latest illustrations are placed further down the page and will probably have some slight :nws: content, which it currently does at the moment.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Command Ant posted:

This picture fills me with so much pure-hearted glee that my cheeks hurt from smiling. I can't wait until we get a Cardcaptor Sakura reboot in about 7 years or so! :swoon:

I kind of hope it doesn't happen, because even though I'd like an adaptation that doesn't drop a huge neat plot point from the manga, they'd probably pull a Chrono Trigger DS and feel obligated to throw in references to what happens in the backstory of Tsubasa and xxxHolic.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 2, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The subtitles are still pretty bad, but now I find that they're kind of charming in how awful they are. Rascal, Sailor Mars! is my new favorite line. :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dove from Above posted:

They're totally looking in different directions. Some things about this show are super pretty but other times I just feel like someone at a key stage doesn't care.
Or it could be because it's an Original Net Animation and thus has a bargain-basement budget. Blah, Toei couldn't throw some of their Pretty Cure money Sailor Moon's way?

(Reigniting the previous page's controversy, Sailor Jupiter is totally the best.)

I for one praise Toei for making a bold move in bringing people like me with irregular strabismus to the forefront of established and beloved franchises. :colbert:

Joking aside, even if you shift the left eye all the way to the left (please pardon the quick photoshop job), it's clear that the pupils still aren't looking the same way.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 2, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SereneCrimson posted:

Anyone willing to make an avatar sized version of this?
Thinking it over, I've had my current avatar for like 6 years, so it's time for a change. And Laptop Cat will be a good fit.

I just need to think of a good custom title to go with it.

Here ya go:

The original image looks kind of dim, so here are two other color variations:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 4, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dove from Above posted:

But does that picture express a criticism of the Crystal art and animation? I mean, it's a gorgeous picture full of personality and charm and I love the little touches like Ami holding her skirt down. Bear in mind I can't read Japanese, so if the artist's comment with it says something critical I can't tell.

Well, the artist's description for that picture on pixiv is literally blank, so.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think that fanart really says anything about Japanese fans' views of Crystal anyway, since the artist is, if not Chinese, someone who lives in mainland China.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hulu seems to be using the video from the original R2 DVDs, which do have higher contrast and less detail than the R1 DVDs.

I'd expect R2 would be the norm for Italy, but :shrug:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Michiru rocking out on the violin for an attack is real good.

I meant to watch S sorta concurrently but ended up finishing binging through all of it today, haha. How is Supers? Everything I've heard about the Pegasus gives me pause.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ALFbrot posted:

Having just gone through the entire series for the first time, Super S is clearly the lowlight, but it's still entertaining. The first three villains are pretty fun, and the finale is pretty cool. Hope you like Chibi-Usa, though, because hot drat is her stink all over that season. The interaction with Pegasus basically requires that she be present and involved in ending every battle.

I thought Chibiusa was pretty fun in S, but then she was also mostly comic relief in fights, so. Guess I'll try out a few episodes sometime.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Actually, I'm going to revise that both up and down. A fantastic episode and terrible subs.

Everyone goes down.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

a cartoon duck posted:

the one flaw in this sub

The subs were kinda funny when I thought they were by a native Japanese speaker trying to use English slang they don't know very well, but this episode is making me doubt the "knowing Japanese" angle.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ALFbrot posted:

It was dubbed. Kind of the whole reason for this limited release is Viz's acquisition of the rights and their new dub.

It's not a bad dub, really. But the voices are far too loud compared to the rest of the soundtrack (maybe they didn't have audio masters and only had a pre-mixed dialogue-free track?) and there are some parts that just really don't sound quite right in English, but that's subjective.

edit: Though they ARE showing it subbed in some locations as well. The closest theater showing the sub was over 3 hours away, instead of 15 minutes, so

The "It's all over. He threw a flower at me..." line was comedic gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

That's villain being crushed that his friend (coughs) Mamoru as Tuxedo Mask threw a flower at him.

• Locked thread