Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I've been eagerly waiting for Amazon to update their shipment day for the S.H. Figuarts Sailor Moon. It's already out in Japan but Amazon seems to be confused as to when they'll actually get it. Amazon.jp already has it available for order though. Too bad they don't ship to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Smoking Crow posted:

Does anyone actually know if it'll come out this winter? I know winter's been promised to us, but I keep expecting the rug to be pulled out. :smith:

I'm still wary about this actually coming out this year. If I had to wager I'd say that this may get pushed back to Spring or even Fall quarter of next year. All their merchandise out so far have been for the original anime and I'm sure that it'll start to cause confusion having both new and old lines running merch at the same time. I'd like for it to come out this year but I'm still worried that it'll end up being terrible and rushed.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Endorph posted:

Sailor moon anime confirmed for January 2014, with subtitles in 10 languages, including, presumably, English.

This post confirmed for the right thread!

I'm waiting to see some sort of physical proof. A character sketch, cast list or promo poster. It feels like every announcement they make is another shovel of dirt flung out from the whole Toei is digging.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
The new larger Sailor Moon mangas are really pretty and have a good quality paper. But I kind of wish that it was hardback instead of paperback. I don't see a reason for it not to be.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I was pretty sure the new show wasn't coming out in the Winter. With all the new toys and merchandise that is being released for the older series I figure they want to move those first and then concentrate on pumping out new toys for the new series come Summer time. The staff list looks interesting and could be good. But I'm going to wait until I see some character designs and a PV trailer before I decide fully. The whole only streaming on NicoNico is the most worrying part though. If they want to mass stream it across the world they should just do what Bandai did with Gundam Build Fighters and use Youtube.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The best change is Dark Mercury, "ice" sword and all.

That was my favorite part of the live action. The new costume design was also a nice touch.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aers posted:

Fansubs only, but yeah. For the love of god don't get TV-N's version though.

Are there other fansubs? At the time of it's release I could only ever find TV-Nihons.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aers posted:

http://sailormoon-official.com/animation/

Countdown ends on Day 1 of Anime Japan. Expecting news there.

Site launch is probably key visual.

Maybe then we'll finally get some sort of art for the new series.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Huh, so the new anime title is with Crystal. The art looks pretty if that is how the anime art will be. I'm optimistic now.

Revolver Bunker fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 14, 2014

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
If the live action was any indication I hope we get to see the weapons and accessories that were in the manga. The promo still mentions nico nico but I somehow hope that crunchy roll picks it up or something.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Gearhead posted:

Well, at least one person outright retired since then. I'm kinda interested to see who's new.

Quite a few current voice actresses in the business now grew up watching this show.

It'll be interesting to see if they want to keep the same vocal tones from the original anime or change up how each of them will sound.

I'm most interested in the new art designs. I wonder how girls who have been watching pretty cure will accept it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
They also mentioned something called Sailor Moon DNA but I wasn't able to understand what it is. New art looks a bit rushed as far as full body designs. I'll assume that they'll clean it up as time goes on. Excited that Mitsune is back as Moon though. I guess they were saying how Naoko wanted a new cast but at the same time felt like Moon's voice was iconic? Hope they'll announce who plays Tuxedo Mask and Luna next.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I'm fine if the quality of the blurays are that of the Japanese re-release. Considering that some of that stuff was originally stored on VHS. I'm just happy that we'll get good quality US releases of all the seasons and Stars. The movies and oavs would be nice but one step at a time. Toei actively working with them can really only mean good as Viz can't cut corners or do anything if it doesn't meet Toei's approval.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

LegionAreI posted:

Wait she's calling censorship on the *original* works? :psyduck: Are we talking about the same DiC subs here? The ones who turned Uranus and Neptune into cousins and left in all the innuendo? The one who turned Zoisite into a girl because again, "ew gays?"

Sometimes nostalgia is a terrible thing.

I was joking with my wife about how in any fandom you will never please everyone, especially the ones that take their fandom to insane levels. Like clinging to the DiC dub and original US release like its the holy grail. It's funny and sad at the same time but not surprising. For all their complaining they'll be spending that hard cash on the disc releases when they come out because their collection must be complete.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aers posted:

nangbaby is pretty insane (past experience) and also seems to hate THE GAYS among other things.

But she's okay with kissing cousins? :stare:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Well, if they're going to be officially representing the Sailor Moon franchise then I can understand the scrutiny. I look at it as bragging rights that Naoko approved of your cosplay.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Ugh.

Can't wait to be a week or two late to every new episode because gently caress paying for streaming. I bet they show ads too.

Actually Crunchyroll doesn't have ads even if you're watching for free. Just that you can't watch it in 1080p and you can't stream it on consoles/tablets/phones unless you have a subscribed account, but PC streaming is still okay.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

This guy has some wild theory crafting there and I'm wondering if he even bothered to do research into each of the fandoms before putting all those words down. My wife is a huge Sailor Moon fan and from what I've seen there is still a very large community that supports everything Sailor Moon in the US. From his writings it sounds like he stopped following the anime trend around 2004. I actually think there are more content for the female audience then there has been before. Not sure why he feels like CSS and SM will both flop and launch though, maybe the price is too steep for his blood. I plan on getting both when they come out. It would be funny to hear his reasoning as to why none of the Pretty Cure series have come out in the US but aired in Canada.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Well, Luna's new voice sounds pretty okay. Kotono can still pull off Usagi voice so that's a plus. I think the biggest thing for me will be getting use to the new art style for the anime since the 90s one is so ingrained in my head. If that song in the trailer is the opening then it's not bad though I'll want to hear the whole thing. All the characters look more mature as far as height and posture though I guess it just really more inline with the manga art style. Still really hyped about this. :dance:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I'm pretty okay with the new character designs. I do agree that the facial expressions seemed stiff and granite like in the trailer but I think that's something that can be fixed. The art style is much different from the 90s anime and I think that's throwing a lot of people off. I don't actually like that fan edit that was posted on the previous page. It just feels like they're trying too hard to convert Usagi to match her 90s rendition.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aers posted:

Naotoshi Shida and Yuki Hayashi have both tweeted that they're working on Crystal so now there's only a few more animators to steal from other lesser Toei projects...

That has me more hopefully for a lively show. Wonder who else they'll bring in.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Gotta say that the more I see of the animation the more I'm growing to like it. Looking forward to the full episode at 2am on the 5th of July.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
That was a great first episode. My wife tells me that there are a lot of references from the manga. It's too bad about the fact that it only airs twice a month but I'm really looking forward to next episode. Can't believe I waited all night for the first episode to air.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So the Cutie Moon Rod appearing in one of the eyecatches is just there for shits and giggles then? Why even show a piece of weaponry from a later part of the series if they aren't going to use it at all?

And by single OP and ED, do they mean songwise or animation wise as well?

Might see that in a flash back dream sequence if Usgai is having those visions of the Moon Kingdom.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Silver2195 posted:

As someone mostly unfamiliar with the franchise, the lack of toast actually surprised me; it would have been such an obvious cliche to include there. It's interesting to see that the first anime did indeed have toast.

I think they're being more attentive to detail this time around. Like the book bag being present in the new series but missing in the 90s one. I think Usagi would be in a lot more trouble then just being late if she left all her books at home too. Also with the change in time in the new version. Doing spoilers since this is a new series. After Usagi gets her test back and she goes with Naru to the jewelry shop and then the arcade she gets home and its actually getting dark. Which makes sense given that school would get out in the afternoon and spending time at the jewelry shop and then bumming around the arcade would eat up a good few hours easy. Thus leading up to her meeting Luna in her room at night. In the 90s version its still full daylight when she gets home.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

DrPaper posted:

Is Tuxedo Mask in this one too?

Yes, but this series draws heavily from the manga so there will be difference between this and the 90s version. Less filler and so far it's following the manga almost to the letter.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
The manga it's definitely less monster of the week and more key fights to move the story up. I like that it is following three manga but it might be too break neck speeds for some.

I really hope they fix some of their art. The eyes are just one of the mistakes. There are shots of Usagi with the Luna pen where it appears and then vanished from her pocket.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

That 3DS case is awfully tempting now. Also it would be really funny if Naoko got her wish for Ami in the new anime.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Snow Halation posted:

I order most of my merch from amazon.co.jp and AmiAmi (AmiAmi is best for pre-orders.) They charge in yen and have good discounts.

How are you able to order from amazon.co.jp or AmiAmi? Every time I check Amazon Japan keeps telling me it won't ship to the states and AmiAmi English page flat out doesn't list them but their Japanese page does.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

ConanThe3rd posted:

Tomorrow is the clincher. If Zoicite dies, we're in for Nemisis at least (Making for a JJBA situation). If not, this is another go around for the Dark Kingdom arc.

I'm assuming you mean if Jadeite bites the dust. I think we'll be in for some fine immolation tomorrow.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Dove from Above posted:

But does that picture express a criticism of the Crystal art and animation? I mean, it's a gorgeous picture full of personality and charm and I love the little touches like Ami holding her skirt down. Bear in mind I can't read Japanese, so if the artist's comment with it says something critical I can't tell.

I think its reflected in the quality of said drawing. Example is Ami's eyes are quite far apart and uneven which was very apparent in episode two. I think the artist is intentionally drawing her that way to "follow" the it looks on the anime.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Crystal right now fellas like watching the Star Trek movies. Every other episode's animation looks good. One was good, two looked terrible, three was better, four was lazy, so five should be great. I wouldn't give Toei as much flack if this was a weekly show but the have a minimum of two weeks to get this done. In the case of episode five three weeks. I still find it really odd that the only Sailor Moon Crystal goods are the bluray preorders. All the other figures, stationary, and clothing are of the classic anime.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Aside from the dodgy animation at times I still like the new series. Just that certain scenes have a lot of bad facial animations and some scenes have flat coloring or shading. I don't think it's a train wreck in any sense of the word. It's certainly no Mahouka.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Yeah, well Saturn being unpopular is completely untrue it seems. A lot of people seem to love her despite her lack of presence as Sailor Saturn in the anime and she's looking to be the last senshi to get a wide release for her Figuarts (Which I just got by the way, she's pretty. :swoon:) while Uranus and Neptune (Who I thought were really popular) are relegated to exclusive hell.

Are you sure Saturn is the last one to get a wide release? Amazon has Uranus and Neptune for preorders though they're not sure out till next year. Though they actually cost more to get them any of the previous Senshi. I assume Pluto will be next and then the Starlights.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
That's how I interpreted that conversation. That she's not outright telling Tuxedo Mask that she's a Sailor Scout but that she's in a situation where she has been called to lead people. I'm actually more curious about the Jupiter episode where he just appears in her window and she runs off with him no questions asked.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I've got the box preordered so it will ship to me next Tuesday. I guess I'll see if the quality is crap or not then.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aers posted:

Thats that then

Producers are the worst

Am I missing something or is it just Chibi Usa hate?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
My favorite thing from the musicals are their costumes. They're all so pretty, shiny and well made.

Though deep down I also have a soft spot for the PGSM live action.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I really liked that game when I played a fan translation of it. The different senshi combination attacks were really fun to discover and use. I actually found the famicon cartridge in Japan but sadly didn't have the $200+ of cash that they wanted for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I do really like the new dub. A few of the voices take some getting use to but overall I like the new voices. Second box for the Blurays comes out soon so we'll see if any of the ghosting or over saturation goes away.

• Locked thread