Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Oh man, I was obsessed with Sailor Moon when I was a kid. I first got internet in 1998, and spent the summer afterward pretty much exclusively downloading as much Sailor Moon stuff as I could - grainy 180x120 .mpg videos, .mp3s that took my 56k modem an hour to download, so many pictures I started running out of hard drive space. My mom drat near beat me after I got a hold of a Sailor Moon desktop theme, complete with sounds and cursors, and Solitaire with Sailor Moon pictures on all the cards.

What's the consensus on the dub? I remember being absolutely incensed at the time that they'd cut and changed so much, and I remember a couple different sites that went through every single episode and listed every cut, change or alteration of any sort; nowadays, I think it while it wasn't a great dub, it was probably as good a dub as could be expected for a children's show in 1995, especially when it could've gotten the Robotech treatment or become that hideous Saban thing.

Also, someone said the new manga releases have a better translation. Does the Stars arc make any sense now? I was never sure if I was confused because the translation was bad or if it just makes no sense in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

StrangersInTheNight posted:

My recommendation to anyone watching for the first time ever/in years is to watch Classic and S, and skip the rest. You'll have a really solid experience that wraps itself up nicely. Mmmmmmaybe do R, but skip the beginning arc with the aliens, and skip the filler episodes with the 4 sisters, and go straight to the Time Gate and Crystal Tokyo. SuperS is only worth a watch because it looks nice and has a decent finale (which leads into the beginning of Stars, which has always confused/annoyed me). Stars - I pretend it doesn't exist.

Agreed on everything but StarS, I will fight you over this :mad:

But really, the first season had a really great plot, but a ton of filler and really weird pacing. It takes like 10 episodes to introduce Sailor Mercury, then 2 to introduce Sailor Mars, then two major bad guys die before they get to Sailor Jupiter and the rainbow crystal arc. They could have cut it down to half the size and had a much better result. R had a lot of good stuff - more in depth characterization, parts of the plot that laid the groundwork for the entire rest of the series, by far the best movie- but had even worse pacing than the first season. S is loving amazing, with great characters, relatively good pacing, and more depth than the previous seasons. SuperS is awful and full of little girl on horse erotica. StarS is probably my favorite, because it really feels like Sailor Moon finally grew up into a real anime.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

First post is still the most correct post

I'm pretty sure I don't have any old journals detailing why I liked Jupiter the most but it probably had something to do with her using attacks like shooting lightning dragons out of her forehead.

you misspelled Venus and Love Chain pretty badly :colbert:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Edit: ^^^ That's a dude

To be honest, I just tend to root for the least popular/featured character in any given show, so for me it was Venus, then Neptune, then Star Maker (his/her power is Star Gentle Uterus, no one gonna get behind that poo poo)

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Zoisite was definitely a girl in the English dub. It worked pretty well, though, and it wasn't nearly as hilarious as "Amara and Michelle are just cousins who play with each other's hands while gazing longingly into each other's eyes, guys!"

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Pimpmust posted:

(e2: SUPREME SUNDAE or FIRE BOMBER, which is your favourite attack? :v:)
Dey all call me... FRAME SNIPER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQkAn6OBix4

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Pimpmust posted:

I found his brief stint as Evil Tuxedo Kamen to be pretty entertaining, sadly he only pulled out the DEMOTIVATOR once :saddowns:

Now I'm at ep 61 and god drat I can't stand him as lovey-doey perfect husbando alter ego. Did he get brainwashed by the silver crystal when I weren't looking? Dude's been knocked over his head one too many times.

I don't remember that happening until well into S. First he was a jerk to Usagi because she's loving 14 and he's in college, then he's a jerk because he's brainwashed, then he's a jerk because he doesn't remember who she is and she and An are fighting over him, then (spoiler? maybe you just haven't gotten that far) he's a jerk because he ~had a dream~ and Usagi and Chibi-Usa are fighting over him.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Out of curiosity, why does the English speaking fnadom call it Precure? "Pretty Cure" is freaking 2 letters longer, it doesn't make sense.

Edit: Although, come to think of it, it's only like 3 characters longer in Japanese :shrug:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
To be fair, my experience with Pretty Cure begins and ends 5 years ago with the names of fansubs which all had "pretty cure" on them. I didn't reaize that "precure" was pretty much official at this point.

Anyway, Sailor Moon :colbert:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

aers posted:

Q: There is some controversy over the character Haruka. Was she a man who transformed into a woman when she became Sailor Uranus?
TN: Haruka has always been a girl. Always will be. As for the Starlights, in the manga they were always girls. In the anime, however, they got turned into guys, and I wasn't very happy about it.

Back then, there was a not-usubstantial group of fans who were absolutely horrified that there could be lesbians in their animes, so they insisted that Haruka was actually Prince Uranus back in the Moon Kingdom, but she had been reincarnated as a woman, so her relationship with Michiru totally wasn't gay. That question was more about fans being dumb as plot differences between anime and manga.

XboxPants posted:

It's not how it's written, it's how it sounds. "Pu-ri" and "kyu-a" are both two syllables, so they fit better in a song, like in the first opening. Additionally:

Fu/Ta/Ri/Wa
Pu/Ri/Kyu/A

is a perfect rhyme, making it much catchier and, again, better suited for a jingle in the opening. It was used like that from the first line of the first theme. Take a listen and you should see what I'm saying right away.

I know what the kana are. That's not what I was asking. I was asking why, if it was romanized as Pretty Cure (which it officialy was, as of Futari Wa, which is the last one I ever watched) English-speaking fans were calling it PreCure. Somebody beat you to the answer like 5 posts above yours!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

A Big Dark Yak posted:

(Worst being Minako's Actual Idol Singer character with her mysterious and kinda nonsensical but totally serious and super-dramatic illness.)

Really? I kinda liked that part. It was melodramatic, but so was the whole drat series, and it did a lot to differentiate Minako from the anime's "Usagi but more so" characterization.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

deadly claris posted:

I really don't like the art in the promo image. I guess it's pretty, but really reminiscent of run-of-the-mill Takeuchi-inspired fanart that pops up allover the place and it doesn't strike me as memorable, or as a style that would work well in animation. There is so much going wrong from the chest down that it kind of boggles my mind. I can ignore the problems with her chest, but below the waist is impossible. She literally has no rear end, and her poor legs. I just have no idea what even.

I've been so excited for this, but the anniversary CD was really underwhelming for me and this image makes the artist in me want to wring some necks and scribble all over the place.

e: After looking at this more I am totally positive this is Takeuchi's work and I'm feeling more optimistic about the anime.

You are reading an awful lot into one promo image.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

neongrey posted:

Yeah, I guess. It still feels weird to me. But I do have very vivid memories of twelve year old me's first forays onto the internet being to sites that were either based on the original version outright or not being keen on the dub at all. You'd get murdered using a phrase like 'sailor scout' back then.

Literally my first days on the internet. I was convinced Chibi Usa was somebody's lovely fan character for a while.

I guess I can understand why people would be nostalgic for the dub, but if I had to choose between an only dubbed set or an only subbed set, welp, subs it is!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

a cartoon duck posted:

Germany had the best anime openings back in the day.

The German dub also used the Japanese names with the exception of calling Usagi Bunny and pronouncing Ami like it was Amy, so there's never been any localization drama here. Plus we also got the last season over here for what it's worth.

Out of curiosity, how did they handle the starlights? I know there was one dub (Italian?) where they were "replaced by their identical twin sisters" when they transformed.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Dexie posted:

She's Got The Power is the best Sailor Moon dub song, nerds. :colbert:

Personally, I like more then both of the songs that Stan Bush did for the Transformers movie.

You seem to have misspelled "My Only Love" there.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
The only things that really bug me are 1. the weird lighting effect, like everything is too bright and reflective and 2. the way her arms bend when the gloves appear just looks really wrong somehow, like they're being bent in the middle of the forearm.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Violet_Sky posted:

I loved Moon Pride more than I expected. The subs...yeesh. I thought that I watching some godawful fansub at first.

They were just going for the authentic English manga translation experience :v:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
A compelling argument I had not considered before:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Wh... Why does Luna sound like Twilight Sparkle? :gonk:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Silly Voodoo posted:

Trap sprung?

Bronies have been a thing for like 4 years now. If you've gone that long without hearing a pony talk, I commend you.

Actual contribution: Luna's previous English voice was completely unsuited for the character, but this new one sounds too normal. The Japanese voice still had a little bit of "not human" quality to it, even if it was way younger than the English one; this new one sounds like any one of the girls, and there's nothing that stands out about it. But maybe that's just my weird retarded ears.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nobody in this thread realizes Saturn is the actual best? How disappointing.

This is the correct answer.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Isn't Fish Eye the one they made a girl in the English dub, then showed in the shower, topless and boobless?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Is there any good way to watch the musicals in the US?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Why are they making Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff faces?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Rodyle posted:

It's the eyes. If you're going to try for a more realistic style you can't gently caress up the eyes, but they did.

The eyes are fine, it's the mouths. It's like they're blowing on hot food while grinning.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Man, that was so much better than the last few episodes it's like a whole different show. Maybe they should take 3 weeks between every episode if it helps so much.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Aku posted:

I feel like the animation's gotten a lot more consistent this time around. There were some bad drops here and there, but it didn't detract from the story at all, which was also really cute(to be expected anyway, it's Jupiter's debut). I also feel like Ami Koshimizu was perfect for this role; she pretty much voiced Makoto like Ryuko from Kill la Kill with a little more femininity and no rough accent.

That's what I meant. There was at least nothing on the level of "Melting Face Ami" in this ep, and nothing stood out to me (except the henshins which might as well have come from another show).

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

a cartoon duck posted:

For a second I thought you were talking about that being-burned-alive face that Takeuchi loves drawing. Shame that whoever's directing the anime seems to be avoiding it. It's also a shame they didn't include Usagi crossdressing for like five seconds to deliver a one-liner for some reason.

Edit: I want them to animate Usagi having a nightmare about Mamoru's face melting off is what I am saying.

If anyone else was wondering I was referring to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

Even though I've been loving Crystal despite its flaws, episode 10 was really lackluster and the first episode where I just kinda felt like "Eh..." Hopefully episode 11 will fix that.

I looked up that thing in your av. That's, uh, something all right...

• Locked thread