Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argue posted:

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1 came out today; I thought it was okay, but I wouldn't call it a horror comic. When the main character is a witch, you're kind of primed for supernatural stuff happening--Sacasa compares it to Rosemary's Baby, and I'd say that it's more like what you imagine happens after the end of Rosemary's Baby. In any case, I thought it was solid enough that I'd read more.

Trivia! The being that appears at the end of the comic is Madam Satan, a horror character that Archie comics published back when they were still called MLJ comics, and before Archie even existed. As far as I know, this is her first appearance since MLJ became Archie.

Someone in the chat thread pointed out that pretty much only Betty and Veronica do anything too out of character for a regular Archie book, and even then their motivations are the same as always. The central 'Sabrina uses her magic to make a boy like her' could've come straight from the comics or cartoons or the Melissa Joan Hart version, it's just that instead of a heartwarming moral, this book makes it clear that this is REALLY not okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

onefish posted:

Thank you so much for this! What awesome references/easter eggs--the story works just fine without catching them, but having them pointed out adds an extra layer. Please do post more if you write them up!

Also, oh man, Waid is arguably the best comics writer for reinvigorating classic, archetypal characters with modern storytelling sensibilities without losing their core, and Staples -- well, even for just three issues, that's just cool. I'm... actually excited? At least to check it out, although I assume main-line Archie will still be a kids' comic.

edit: Way more info up in an interview now. Wow. These are bold moves, but seem smart -- they'll always have the digests for young kids to be introduced to Archie in the grocery store... http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57782

The interesting thing is that Archie's been so 'safe' until he took over, that it's actually kinda believable this is a long-term shift, which isn't something you can buy if one of the big two try to reorient themselves. I am a little worried about what happens when Staples moves on. They need to differentiate this from what came before and have something at least striking about the art style that isn't the old house look.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:flashfact: Actually, in the sitcom, Sabrina lived in Westbridge, MA. I believe Greendale was from the cartoon series that came after it. (The Afterlife line's Sabrina book paid homage by having her move from one to the other in the first issue, actually)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zoe posted:

Yeah this is the route I wound up going, I figured I'd already read through the crossover so why not.

The ending of the crossover was super dumb btw but if it really was just a desperate attempt to jettison the last of the garbage then I forgive them. I hope the heroes going all magical and glowy to solve their problems isn't like a common occurrence in this series though, that's just so cheap and lazy.

It's also very true to the source material.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If you like the traditional stuff you're getting literally thousands of pages of that, plus some Mega Man, Afterlife, and Life With... stuff, all of which have been well reviewed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Weird quirk/question based on the recent Humble Bundle: I'm reading the best-of-Sabrina volume that was included, and a bunch of the stories look like they're done in negative style or drawn in white ink on black paper. Is this a screw-up or was there an artist/period on Sabrina where this was in vogue?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

feetnotes posted:

I just looked through the HQ PDF of the collection, and I couldn't find anything like you're talking about here. I'd guess it's a mistake?

Huh. I thought that was less likely, consdering there's still some colour, and am kinda disappointed. It's a neat effect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heck with that, I wanna see Sonic and Mega Man team up with Leon Kennedy and Bayonetta.

I know Bayonetta's a Platinum property and just published by Sega.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I didn't mention it, but I like that the primary Capcom contingent is Rock and X. Sega have Sonic and... the Australian whatever-she-is from Sonic Boom. That's like a Marvel/DC crossover headed by Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man and Shamrock.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It'd be lovely NuDante and he'd have to use a sniper rifle to abort Amy Rose's demon baby or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Um, I just noticed that they're still soliciting Sabrina #4 for May. That's... a bit ambitious at this point, isn't it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd put them on a rotation. Like maybe have them bi- or tri-weekly. So Afterlife is out on the 1st of the month, Sabrina on the 15th/21st, and the third book on the 1st /15th and so on, so there's a built in longer-than-normal buffer. Also maybe get another writer in on things.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nobby posted:

I'm just glad there's going to be another issue of Sabrina. Can't stand zombies so I have no interest in Afterlife, but Sabrina was a drat hoot.

I'm hoping I can make a Josie and the Pussy Riot book happen through pure positive thinking.

Josie as a slasher book might work, actually.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

feetnotes posted:

Who else could it be besides Josie? Ethel? Cheryl Blossom? Katy Keene? :byodame:

Cheryl would be pretty good as the slutty girl the slasher movie killer always murders first.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the flipside, Sabrina #2 finally came out! (Almost just wrote 'Sabrina came out' which would certainly be newsworthy also)

And um... Ann Margaret is apparently a witch and friends with Sabrina?

Otherwise, some solid horror, though a little odd that we're seeing it from the monster's perspective, not the 'heroine'. In fact, that framing device makes a little odd for the few pages where we do switch back to Sabrina and Salem. Aguirre-Sacasa definitely seems to be leaning into the idea of this being a darker take on the usual Sabrina story, though. Her using magic to get a role in the school play so she can make out with Harvey is exactly the sort of thing that would be in the comics or TV shows.
The autumn colour palette is really striking and the art manages to evoke the 60s without really looking like comic art of the era, which is very impressive.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I realized today that I am going to understand literally every reference in the Sonic/Mega Man crossover and I feel like the gooniest gently caress alive.

Also Sabrina is a really good book. I kind of love how Harvey's reaction to seeing his girlfriend covered in blood in front of loving Satan elicits only a "What the hell is going on?" instead of shrieking in terror until your vocal cords bleed. Dude must have balls of steel.

I hope to god that the next issue starts with him yelling that she's cheating on him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Only thing I wasn't entirely sold on was throwing Kevin in as one of the meddling 'gossip' group. Seemed a little cheap, leaning into the 'gay guys are just like typical straight girls!' cliche.

Otherwise it was really, really solid and fun. The Back To The Future meets Ferris Bueller/Saved By The Bell by way of 90s WB vibe is pretty perfect, and Staples is drawing the hell out of it. It's going to be a shame when she leaves and the next artist is going to need to be pretty special to live up to it and probably won't be able to.

EDIT: Y'wanna feel old? Check out a couple of reviews of the issue and count how many use vloggers as a reference for Archie addressing the reader instead of the stuff I just used. Though I also feel my comparisons are more apt because a vlog would be framed as Archie talking to viewers inside the comic, whereas this is him talking to the reader.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 10, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Fair point, I suppose that happened in every school. I know the one out dude in my class basically spent our last year in high school hanging out with the more 'girly' girls and gossiping at lunch.

One of those reviews I mentioned raised a good point though... Is Jughead secretly the main character? I mean, he's the most active character in the narrative. Betty and Archie (It's a testament to how real "Bettchie" feels that I actually shudder at the idea of using it sincerely) basically just have stuff happen TO them. Jughead actually does things.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

It's too bad Jughead's comic is going to be stuck with an incredibly awful artist, Erica Henderson is just hilariously incompetent, almost single handedly making the Squirrel Girl comic over at Marvel unreadable(the writing isn't very good either but my god the art almost makes Land look like a talented artist in comparison)

I'd make some glib 'sorry your eyes don't work' joke here, but I genuinely can't see what people who say this stuff are seeing. I see a poppy, dynamic, cartoony/caricatured style loaded with charm when I look at Henderson. This isn't even a Humberto Ramos kind of thing where mostly it's "I dislike the aesthetic, but I get why people may like it", it's more like I assume their shop is selling out and getting the owner's 3 year to crayon some replacement copies of Squirrel Girl, because otherwise the division of opinion just doesn't make sense to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Vampironica? Really? They literally did that, with Betty as Buffy, in one of the regular books a couple of years back.

That comes off more like another crossover than a real book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm honestly surprised that Betty and Veronica are going to be recurring presences. I thought their appearance in #1 was just a little one-off gag, and now we've literally had Archie and Jughead show up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not really an issue outside the horror line/tie-ins though. Unless you consider learning a lesson about not taking shortcuts or trying to 'fix' your friends by casting a spell turning Jughead into a cat or making Betty fall in love with Ethel 'overpowered'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, this is a hell of a way to find out there's a new Judge Dredd book...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, Tania del Rio is great and all, but Jem cover and it's not the Holograms hanging out backstage with the Pussycats? What is even the point of doing it then?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

So is Afterlife With Archie straight up cancelled or what? The last official word being "um whatever, when it's done or something" in August isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

They said the same thing with Sabrina and then they released like 3 issues in a row. It'll be fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, should've posted about this earlier, but holy gently caress, Waid managed to actually set up a mystery reveal and pay it off after building up that it wasn't the obvious resolution. And still managed to make it make sense that neither Betty nor Archie would HATE the other after it, it's just a big stupid fight, where Archie's mostly in the wrong, but the heightened emotion meant things got made worse. Only issue I have is that the dialogue may have overdone Maria and Sheila steamrolling Betty into the makeover. Particularly the name thing, because it makes it sound a lot like they're doing in spite of what she wants, rather than her gradually getting into it, which I think was the intended response, given the smirk she gets at seeing Archie's reaction to her in the make-up and dress.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

That's a strange, new direction for The New Day, but I think I like it?

Wrong talking animal franchise. They're unicorns, remember?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argue posted:

In other news, the Archie horror imprint is alive after all. Next issue of Sabrina comes out on May 18, while the next issue of Afterlife with Archie comes out June 1. It looks like Sacasa kept his promise that "the next delay wouldn't be this long" by having an even longer delay.

...I don't even remember what happened in Sabrina last issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argue posted:

The bad news: Chip is leaving Jughead after issue 8.

The good news: http://www.dailydot.com/geek/jughead-archie-comics-ryan-north-interview/

Jughead/Sabrina's friendship always been one of my favorite ideas that nobody ever followed through on beyond a single issue.

By issue 14 book will be renamed Sabrina (ft. Jughead). By #20 Jughead will be reduced to a tiny picture in the corner of the cover and a cameo inside.

I'm fine with this. Mostly because, honestly, I haven't been feeling Chip's Jughead. The fantasy sequences feel less like jokes unto themselves but Chip stretching a 2 issue story to 6 and relying on Family Guy reference humour to pad. Except instead of being aimed at 14 year olds, the gags are aimed at 6 year olds.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They have no money, but the Kickstarter backfired on them so bad they had to use what little they did have to do the New Riverdale stuff and make sure it, being the flagship line, actually ships (helped by actually having talent that can turn in pages on time, unlike Sacasse).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't like it at all. It was boring (with a central conflict that was JUST in Jughead), the characters were all seemed weirdly mean to each other (and not just, like, Reggie being a dick), and it wasn't terribly funny or clever. Art was nice, but that's about all I can really compliment it on. I definitely won't be getting any more. (And yes, the swimsuit page was weird and I don't really know who that was for other than Hughes himself.)

It's especially odd as the plot of Pop's was done in Jughead, and the main book is doing a much better job setting up Betty and Veronica disliking each other without one of them being clearly an rear end in a top hat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd put money on her also re-appearing in the new Pussycats book that's out later this month, probably as the small town pal who's afraid of being left behind when the band hits it big.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ryan's take on Betty is actually the best part of the issue. I've got high hopes for Sabrina, though. I suspect he may have pitched a Sabrina book, and Archie said "No, but Chip's finishing on Jughead, and Sabrina & Jughead used to hang out in the old books..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Based on the cover, I assume next issue is Sabrina getting upset that Jughead isn't attracted to her without the costume, and using magic to mess with him, then he finds out she's a witch, they have a heart-to-heart, and boom, we've established the 'Jugs is the only one in Riverdale who knows her secret' thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Archie #12 was pretty great, doing a solid job misdirecting you into assuming the plot was one thing and then going the way the cover implied, while managing to do the love triangle, but without the weird thing where Betty and Veronica are simultaneously clawing each other's eyes out and BFFs.

Also, the reprint in the back was surprising, because I never knew Waid worked for Archie previously and wrote stories for the old house style.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm jazzed about Josie too, though I couldn't care less about the Reggie book that's upcoming.

I'm enjoying the Kevin mini, though. It's interesting mostly because it's an old-school Archie sensibility, but with the characters aged up. So instead of Veronica hiding in a booth at Pop's to avoid ruining Kevin's date, she's hiding under the couch and trying to escape when he brings his boyfriend home for the evening.

Oh, and Archie #13 has the re-debut of my favourite character: Cheryl! I hope Waid goes for broke and just makes her the most unpleasant person imaginable, presumably so bad she makes Ronnie see how people in Riverdale see her and makes her understand them a bit more.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Weirdly, the reboot has kept Betty on tambourine in the recent battle of the bands issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Josie was pretty good, though it hit a lot of the same beats as the first issue of Jem, plus it's thrown any illusion of these New Riverdale books being all in the same world out, because I'm fairly sure Val's shown up in Archie as a teen, not a grown woman with a vet's degree. And this wasn't a negative, but the book was a little racier than I'd have thought Archie was going for with these titles. I mean, no more so than I'd expect from Bennett, but honestly, the sex jokes were more explicit than she's even put in Bombshells, and that book has everyone sleeping with everyone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I really preferred Zdarsky on Jughead. Ryan North has this really big problem with making everyone really wordy and explaining everything with lots of detail and making sure there's no ambiguity and that you understand everything. This is not too say I dislike it, I just think he had a style that slightly clashes with what I like.

This is also an issue I have with Squirrel Girl.

I think the over-explaining is just part of North's comedic sense, as it's basically the whole joke of Dinosaur Comics. I find his tone much more relateable than Chip's "Hey, this is tenuously like Game Of Thrones, the kids like that, right?" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Chip's best issues were the last two for that same reason. It all stayed with Jugs, Archie and the Bee in the woods.

• Locked thread