Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The only people I see in Sweden who don't ride in full gear are the cafe racer riders, and they spend most of their time parked outside a coffee shop anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phy posted:

Questions: The Wee is FI, the Rex is carbureted. Anything else I should check structurally/mechanically before I get them back on the road?

Rex tank, what to do?

Rex exhaust, leave the dents? Is there any way to pull dents out of a tube when it's down in the middle of a bend?
Check the oil and coolant level, but apart from that if they still start and run fine there's probably nothing wrong with the engine.

Tank dent can be fixed by any half competent mechanic, but unless it's really bad I probably wouldn't bother.

Exhaust is fine apart from the aesthetic. Motortrend's Engine Masters did a test where they dynoed an engine before and after they beat the exhaust headers to poo poo and the difference in power was negligible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coydog posted:

Look at all these fools that don't know what a pelican box is. Nobody is saying get a givi. We have standards.
I swapped out all my travel luggage for pelican cases. It's great, even if it looks a bit tacticlol.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coydog posted:

Nissan Altima.
If I had to drive an Altima all the time I'd be angry too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Vespa with a tiny disc and pads made of pencil eraser: the endless forever-squeal that can't be fixed and is just One Of Those Things.
You just need to oil the pads, duh.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I use the kill switch too, but I also never leave the bike without making sure the steering lock is engaged.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've never crashed my own bike in 6 years of ownership. *knocks on wood*

I almost tipped over once when I kicked it into gear by mistake but managed to catch it. And gave myself a nutshot when I did the same thing while holding the front brake.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not good. They've made a number of complete cockups and have all been doxxed by very low-tech methods, and despite literally having their full names and addresses for over a month Avon and Somerset Police haven't touched them. Two were nicked for unrelated offences and released on bail without even having their phones examined (they were boasting about it on IG, under their own accounts, all of which have also been tracked).
Sounds like it's time for a surprise vigilante visit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Damnit, I picked up a nail in my rear tire again. That's the third tire in a row that makes it less than a year before picking up some garbage. At least this one is through the tread and not the sidewall, so it should be fixable with a plug.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's just now occurred to me that if the Loud Pipes Save Lives bunch really believed their bullshit (as opposed to it just being a transparently lame justification for an aesthetic choice), then they'd all fit their bikes with denali soundbombs and wire the horn switch permanently closed.
Don't give them ideas.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This should be standard on vehicles instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv8wqnk_TsA

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I'm walking bicyclists are assholes because they never stop at pedestrian crossings.

When I'm on the motorcycle pedestrians are assholes because they step out into the road without looking.

When I'm in the car other cars are assholes because they hog the left lane and I don't have a rocket launcher on my car to deal with them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slide Hammer posted:

Adjustable wrench for all bolts or bust.
"Why are all my bolt heads round?"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bike fell over while parked on gravel because I'm an idiot in a hurry. :argh:

Broke the mirror stem, dented the tank, scratched all the fairings. No mechanical damage, so I could ride it home at least.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

That was about a week after I had nearly piled up into the back of a Range Rover when the lady driving it decided to come to a dead stop in the middle of the highway onramp.
People who don't know how to onramp are the worst.

A while ago I came around a sharp, blind bend leading to an onramp and there's someone literally stopped right at the start of the onramp, turned 45 degrees towards traffic with their right hand turn signal on waiting for traffic to clear. :psyduck:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also today I learned Husqvarna make sewing machines
Husqvarna started out as a weapons manufacturer in the 17th century, and over the years they've produced tons of different products, from cast iron stoves to robotic lawnmowers. :eng101:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I feel like in 2020 I should be able to go on the manufacturer's website and click a buy now button and then choose a pickup location or whatever during checkout.
Isn't that what Tesla was originally doing and car dealers threw a collective tantrum about and pointed to some archaic law making it illegal for car manufacturers to sell directly to the end user?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I did something maybe not so bright
Yeah, you have nothing to gain from confronting shitheads. Someone acting irrationally on the road isn't going to act rational if stopped either.

If someone drives like an idiot, just keep your distance so you don't end up a victim of their idiocy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm starting to see a lot more of those Lambo SUV monstrosities too and they seem to behave the same.
From a few pages back, but make sure you remind anyone you see driving one of these that they paid $200k+ for a tarted up VW Touareg.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Unironically nationalize and outlaw private landlords for residential property. :colbert:

If you want to be a landlord, go buy some office buildings.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 27, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I suspect if it were possible to remove no gear idiots and no skill idiots from the stats, they'd look safer than cars. People who know what they're doing crash very rarely in my totally anecdotal experience even if they speed everywhere, people who suck crash constantly even if they always ride really slow.
When getting any kind of license over here in Glorious People's Republic of Europe, part of the theory education is accident statistics, and it shows pretty clearly that something like 85-90% of fatal or near-fatal incidents involve people who are either drunk, drugged, riding without a license, riding way over the speed limit, riding without protective gear or a combination thereof. Basically don't be an idiot and you've magically made riding much safer than the news makes it appear.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

So if the KLIM/I-M server is down for maintenance, and the vest tries to do its check and it 404s, the vest won't work, even if you have paid your subscriptions.

This is the dumbest loving thing, Internet-Of-making GBS threads safety equipment. gently caress Klim, gently caress I-M. I had been considering some Klim gear, but no loving way now.
When it comes to IoT, always assume it's the dumbest possible solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's also of all the "Yeah you're loving dead" failures afflicting components planes don't even have, like tail rotors and their driveshafts, swash plates or whatever other linkages they have to the rotors, and of course individual choppers have their own extremely fun things, from the early one I can't remember the name of where fatigue failures could rip the entire engine, rotors still attached, out of the frame, to the Chinook, the only aircraft that can have a mid-air collision with itself (certain maneuvers can flex the rotors sufficiently that they touch, with fun consequences).
Helicopter (n.): Four thousand parts rotating rapidly around an oil leak waiting for metal fatigue to set in.