Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Can't find it on youtube, but there is a video talking about visibility when a car is at an intersection waiting to turn onto a road. They showed that if the background is moving behind the car they will probably see you, but if the background isn't moving (this depends on your angle of approach) the car will have less of a chance seeing you. That is when it makes sense to flick your highbeam or swerve slightly in your lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I really hate when somebody asks about my bike, asks me how fast it goes, all that stuff and then follows up with "Aw, man, I know what it's like, I've got a 350z, thing's fast man." No. No it's not. And no you don't. You're in the bubble of a vehicle designed to protect you from everything: wind, other vehicles, weather cold or hot, wet or baking. Your vehicle doesn't fall on top of you if you lean too far. It doesn't rear up on you if you give it too much throttle. gently caress you you have no loving idea what it's like to ride a fast motorcycle. Or even a slow one. And you don't want to, you soft little pussy. Otherwise you wouldn't say dumb poo poo things like "Oh, man, I could never ride a bike, I'd just go way too fast all the time", the insinuation being you're just way too much of a wild man to own one. Again, no you're not. You can't be the person so prone to risky behaviors that they avoid them all. That person doesn't exist, you're just risk adverse, afraid of your own blood, your own mortality.

Explaining that just makes me a douche though, so I have to eat my words and just nod my head to their stupid bullshit.

And besides, lame guy who just started at my old job, your concept of what a person can do on a bike is so limited all you can think about is going fast on the highway anyway. That's loving EASY son. This always happens with the bullshit excuses too. I don't loving care! I don't try to sell anyone on getting a bike unless they express interest on getting one. I understand they're not for everybody. So why can't a person just say "Yeah, those scare me. You're crazy." That's a nice ego boost they just haaaaave to take away with their "too macho to try" bullshit.

In sum, you have not impressed me, guy who replaced me at my old job and creepily has my first name and initials. Not at all.

Dude
You are a total badass.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

That was probably on the way from a threesome heading to pick up his megamillions winnings.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Get a Shoei Qwest

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy stop dating loser girls that drive your poo poo without insurance.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The guys that own the gen 5 VFRs loved to imagine they were such hardcore riders that they needed to de-link the linked braking system. I found the system pretty much imperceptible unless you just slam the rear brake on you'd feel a little bit of front dive. I thought the system was a bit of a needless complication that made bleeding brakes a little bit of a hassle but otherwise just fine.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Hanging out in the left lane when you aren't passing is great for:
Getting tickets.
Having a pissed off driver who is going faster than you make an unsafe on the right pass.
Having a pissed off driver who is going faster than you when traffic suddenly slows pancake you into the car in front of you.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

In my experience the most dangerous driver is the fast driving aggressive type. Those guys are generally in the left lane driving fast. They love to come up on you fast and tailgate if you aren't out of the way. I prefer to not be tailgated so when I'm not passing I move over. I also believe that cops nail people in the left lane because that's where the fastest drivers are, and generally if they're hiding in the medians they are the easiest to pop.

I don't see how getting undertaken on the right by the most aggressive drivers and opening yourself up to more tickets is preferable to being in the right or middle lane.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Once traffic is heavy and all the lanes are 'full' I think being in the left lane makes a lot of sense. I know in CA splitting between the left and 2nd left lane is sort of the accepted spot. I think most everyone is talking about when traffic is relatively light. Getting run into from behind is a risk in every lane, but you have more risk in the left lane where the chances of a large speed differential are greater.

I think if you're cruising along in the left lane at 80 passing everyone else that is going 75 at a slow rate it's fine to be in the left lane. I think it's a bad idea to not move over for when the dude comes up behind you going 90. Why not get over for 10 seconds and avoid being tailgated and undertaken? Seems a hell of a lot safer than the alternative.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

No you said if they want to pass you on the right then they can do so. Not a smart move in my experience.

Edit: If you're not seeing people coming up behind you, you need to be watching your mirrors more regularly, or just moving over.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 70kg. My 919's front springs are just barely right. The rear shock is hopeless and I can't set rear preload even approximately correctly, even with the preload cranked up to the full. My experiences with cheaper bikes has been even more dismaying.

Japanese bikes are just desperately undersprung in general.

That's odd because racetech's calculator says you're the ideal weight for the front springs. I find it hard to believe that they would mismatch spring weights on that bike. If anything the springs would be too heavy in the rear for you to allow for a passenger. You should probably recheck how you are measuring your preload.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Just barely right = basically correct. The rear is definitely under-sprung though. If I have a 60kg passenger on the back while I'm in the seat it's about 1cm off bottomed even with the preload cranked right up.

Try riding a factory SV650 2-up if you want some real horror.

You're telling me a Honda 919 is sprung well under someone who is ~150lb?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The internet greatly overstates how bad the stock suspension on the SV is and greatly overstates how much benefit the typical fixes are.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Yes. If you think otherwise, you're laughably naïve and/or trust the factories far too much.

I trust that Honda can match spring rates and tune suspensions, it's kinda their deal and stuff. I think most of the suspension work people do based upon model specific forums is total garbage. Making a suspension work properly is usually more than just tossing fork spring in the front and buying a $50 GSXR shock that is probably due for a rebuild.

A simple suspension that is tuned by a motorcycle manufacturer is full of compromises but at least those compromises are engineered to work well. I owned two SV650s back years ago and the best handling version was the stock non hosed with S model. The non S I had was never stock to begin with and it flat out didn't work as well.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I have never ridden a Buell but my understanding of how they were designed and the choices that were made was to build great handling bikes. I know some model got awarded best handling bike made some long time ago by a euro bike mag that probably wasn't aiming for more Buell ad revenue.

I will agree w/ you Slavvy that stock bike suspensions are setup for a middle of the road rider at some rather arbitrary weight. I do not for a minute believe such choices are factored by what weight springs they have laying around. That doesn't for a minute account for all of the costs involved with making a bike then not spending the time to engineer the suspension. They may be engineering the suspension with crude damping rod forks and simple shocks, but they are engineering it to work well.

The makers do sometimes make odd choices though - take a gen1 R6. It is undersprung up front according to racetech but pretty oversprung in the rear for the same weight rider. I believe the explanation I had heard was to make the bike handle 2 up riding better, which is an odd choice for that bike. Personally I couldn't tell, I thought it handled great. You bring up the ZRX which I've a few times and really enjoyed, probably one of the best i4 motors I've ever experienced. I went around a corner that surprised me a bit and the second I touched the front brake the drat thing stood up on my like I couldn't believe. Was it the suspension? gently caress if I know, it could have been something as simple tire pressure issues.

There are so many drat factors into what goes into making a bike feel good that I have a real hard time blaming it on something as simple as being undersprung. I'd guess on a 45,000km SV650 with stock suspension that unless you did something about it the shock was in dire need of a rebuild (which you can't really do on that shock) and the forks probably needed fresh oil. A factory fresh stock SV650 is going to feel a hell of a lot different than one with that amount of use unless you've done something to remedy that.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

adary posted:

You definitely won't be able to read the note since it's in Hebrew.

I did get the right guy since he knocked on my door an hour ago and started raging. Hist first like was: I let your air out as a warning and you slash my loving tires? I didn't do damage to your bike blah blah blah I will call police blah blah blah. I just slammed the door in his face (hopefully it hit him since i have this very nice steel security door).

Maybe you should dig a tunnel into his yard...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Speaking of which, I just discovered this past weekend that I can remove my fizzer's half-fairing and leave the headlights and mirrors still attached to the bike normally. I just need to get a pair of fork-mount front blinkers and I can make my bike fully naked and still have two good headlights, and not spend $600 on an FZ1N conversion kit.

:dance:

Looks lovely FYI.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

I've never seen a group able to get more worked up over a marketing pitch than goons do.

We've been living with your Buell pitch for ages and only a few people in CA can't stand you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Lynza posted:

Super cool dude, though. He told me his son got out of the Marines and, after having an R6 prior to deploying, now wants an R1. The guy and I shook our heads.

R6s are cool and R1s are awesome, why were you shaking your heads? Do you and dude have a shared dislike for things that are awesome?