Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Never understood why customizers even put front shocks on choppers like that. The rest of the monstrosity is all crazy metal work, why stop at the triple tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

ABCD: Always Be Cart Drifting.

"Powerslide, aisle 3..."

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I don't even...what? Can someone draw me a picture of what he imagines happens when you counter steer?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy you can count me among the people glad you're still posting.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I think I'm a more cautious rider than most, maybe even in CA, but this ride report is totally insane to me. Oil leaking onto the tires? Probably good to ride it from DC to NY. Gets dark and starts raining? Better keep going.

quote:

The good news is, the bike and I made it home, somehow. I’ll probably take it to the dealership soon for the service, and I hope that I haven’t done any terrible damage to the rear drive box after doing such a long trip with it leaking its gear oil.

https://jalopnik.com/somehow-i-didnt-die-on-this-stupid-motorcycle-trip-1839031055

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mirconium posted:

EICMA is a little underwhelming this year. I guess there is a pirate-themed CBR, but it just shows that all liter bikes are approaching the R1 singularity where they look exactly like the R1.

Jensen Beeler was slobbering over the new Husky adv concept. It’s definitely nice looking and I wouldn’t kick it out if my garage but it’s hard to get all that excited about another nerdventure concept. And I’m someone who fully believes we need more adv-ish bikes from more mfgers.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mirconium posted:

I can't get excited about concepts, maybe what, 5% of them actually make it into any kind of production? Lots of cool concepts, but we can never have them. =/

Can’t really ding Husky in that department but in general, yeah. Honda CB4X concept looks amazing but it could never happen

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

M/V Rush looks like cancerous rear end

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mushika posted:

So I'm ashamed of how few miles I could ride this bike in the Missouri mountains before having to stop and get some sleep. Only about 5 hours of riding. I'm sitting in a hotel I shouldn't be taking a rest in. This bike is amazing compared to the one I just laid to rest, but between the wind buffeting and the unfamiliar ride position, I'm working muscles I never knew I needed to. I'm supposed to be enjoying the beautiful scenery and the gorgeous weather, dammit, not white knuckling the grips because I've never ridden in windy mountain roads before on a bike that I actually have to pay attention to because the wind will flop me to and fro. I'm from the wide, flat land of the Mississippi delta valley. I can ride days of flat boring landscape. That's what's I'm used to. This land is tearjerkingly beautiful and I can't enjoy it because I'm just learning these basic skills that I've never had previously. gently caress lovely cruisers. I'm not going to make that mistake ever loving again.

e: sorry if it wasn't clear, previous bike for years was a cruiser, present bike is not

Hey buddy, don’t be so hard on yourself. I remember the first time I tried to ride any serious distance I made it about three hours before I pulled off in a grocery store parking lot and cried because my body hurt and I was scared about what I’d gotten myself into. I napped in the grass, reset my expectations, and finished the trip at a slower pace. Take it easy on yourself and don’t push your body or your brain too hard. There will be a lot of good riding in the future.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Akrapovics for non-Ducati Euro bikes, Termis for Ducs, Yoshis for Japanese bikes, Arrow for British bikes, Screamin' Eagle for Harleys. Why you gotta be weird about it?

Okay but what if it’s a Husky that ducati built?

edit: mine has a ktm branded can so idek where I land on this

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah I think scary New York traffic is less a factor than people going 30 on an unfamiliar vehicle without helmets. A reporter died a few days ago after getting tossed off one, and here’s the latest crash written up

quote:

Two men were rushed to the hospital early Saturday, one with critical injuries, after their Revel scooter crashed into a light pole in upper Manhattan, police said.
Francis Nunez, 30, and his 32-year-old passenger were rolling down Wadsworth Terrace near Fairview Ave. in Fort George about 4:30 a.m. when the younger man lost control of the moped.

But I’m also sure the NY tabloids are giddy to make this into a thing. Not like there aren’t plenty of, say, pedestrian accidents they could write about on any given day.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

To be clear, I’m not saying this scooter thing isn’t stupidly dangerous, because it definitely is. Just that it’s the kind of thing tabloids eat right up.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I also do. Riding in cities in SE Asia is very very fun. But I’m also glad not to be doing it on a daily basis.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

The death scooter company “voluntarily” closed up shop in NYC. They say they’re reassessing safety protocols lol

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

That has to make your eyelid swell and make that eye useless, right?

I’ve probably posted this before, but here’s me the morning after I caught a helmet bee. I’ve never had a reaction like this to a bee sting otherwise. Fortunately by the time we had breakfast and loaded up the fluid had drained down and I could ride fine.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah same thing that happened with my eye too. Thankfully I was close to home when it happened

Now I’m just grateful mine stung me up by my temple and I didn’t have your terrifying near-eyeball experience.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Razzled posted:

if only we could just deny them hospital care

there'd be cheaper used cruisers on the market, win win

This is a terrible idea. Americans are already strapped for cash. The last thing we need is more cheap motorcycles tempting us to spend what we budgeted for food and rent.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Already reported to the hague.

Can you levitate a whiffle ball on it like those science museum exhibits?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I like you a ton, LodeRunner, and I like the stuff you post, and I like schadenfreude, but I propose we stop posting this guy’s delusions. Just now it feels like we’ve hit the point where it’s sad not funny sad. And if anyone has a way to get this guy help maybe do that.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LodeRunner posted:

I was getting that feeling but wasn't sure if I was alone. Agreed, closing this chapter. Back to searching for replacement Brammo Empulse parts...

It's a shame he went fully crazy. Feels like he let us down.

Speaking of crazy, how's your Sacramento(?) cannonball shaping up?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Phone posted:

You guys are thinking about this all wrong: What you do is buy a small fleet of electric bikes and perpetually stagger them by parking them at charging locations and treat every extended ride as a relay race.

This is close but not you're not to galaxy brain yet. Get a goldwing made of batteries and then a series of smaller EVs down to an electric bicycle. Tow the smaller bikes behind you, and leave each depleted bike on the side of the road as you work your way down.

Or you could leave each depleted bike at a charger and then retrace your steps home, re-assembling your EV roadtrain as you go

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

All the bikes are being towed dolly style and working as generators to power Bitcoin mining.

Is that an app? I don’t really know about computers

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Phy posted:

Between fossil fuels, asbestos, and cfcs, I feel like the history of industrial materials in the 19th and 20th century is one of incredibly useful substances that our species was in no way responsible enough to be allowed near.

*looks at the transuranium elements oppenheimerishly*

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

That essay is what every bike review tries and fails to replicate.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Having said that the end of Hell's Angels *definitely* has a TE Lawrence vibe to it, as does Song Of The Sausage Creature:

Some very strong opinions here. Was HST the original Slavvposter(tm)?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Re driving proficiency, I'm literally getting car driving lessons right now (well, 10 minutes ago). I'm on my second lesson.

"don't coast to a junction".
"I wasn't coasting, I had the clutch in and was braking at the same time".
"that counts as coasting".
"it's not coasting, if I am using the brake, I am controlling the car".
"it's coasting as far as the examiner is concerned".
"ok fine, I'll just engine brake and brake, and not clutch to the junction".
"yes".

:psyduck:

Where is this? My test was 20 years ago but the examiner definitely did not care about coasting while braking before an intersection. Not that licensing is particularly rigorous in the US.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

I mean, yeah, that's not inconsistent. Having the clutch in reduces your stopping power by a lot. From a teaching perspective it makes sense they'd tell you the safest way to drive.

Steak's in the UK iirc. Motorcycle instructors here will also tell you not to coast. The technical reason is because it counts as not having full control of the vehicle, the practical reason is because as mentioned it negatively impacts your ability to do an emergency stop.

Yeah it makes sense. But I never heard about it. I would be interested to see some stopping distance comparisons. For the US, even 20 years ago manuals were getting unusual enough that instructors/examiners might have just stopped thinking about it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You can do it with boats so there must be a way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Eagle_(WIX-327)

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Martytoof posted:

The real trials are the e-bike frustrations we encountered along the way.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ulf posted:

Clocks are antithetical to fun rides :colbert:

Just use the sun like croc dundee

My dash shows the time but a loose connection means it constantly resets to 12:00:00 while I ride. Even if I ride forever I’ve only been gone a few minutes at most.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The new ones come with quasi-bottle cap wheels and I like the look for what it is

I’ve been seeing a lot of the new design around and I think they look great. These smaller ones definitely make me rethink my previous distaste for can ams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Phy posted:

I slept in a hotel last night instead of camping a third night. I was kind of disappointed in myself, but I can also justify it to myself - it was getting towards the evening and deer-o'clock by the time I made the decision, it'd be another hour to the next site, and I'd been rained on in the cold all day, so I didn't want to push myself and get fatigued (or start today still fatigued). Because fatigue kills motorcyclists.

You made a good call.