Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I just downloaded Minecraft yesterday and am hooked. I installed the resource pack Sphax and then added Forge, but haven't done anything else.

Is there a set of mods that would be considered beginner or does it really matter? Just not sure if Minecraft is better played and learned Vanilla first before adding all the modifications.

Also, I'm considering trying the servers in the OP but was interested to hear if you could actually get stuff done on those servers or if people just terrorize everything so to speak. Really just looking for a cool group of folks to shoot the poo poo and build some cool stuff with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Serf posted:

I'm playing around in the Toast pack, and I'm trying to mess with Mystcraft stuff, but I can't seem to make linking books. Putting a book down in the crafting grid does nothing. Same with descriptive books. I can cheat them in and they work fine, but I can't seem to make them legitimately. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

I had the same problem the other day. You need to make a Writing Desk and something else...Ink something or other. (Sorry, can't remember right now at work.)

Then from there you need to create pages as well as a linking page, I believe. Basically, the typical formulas all are no longer accurate with the new version of Mystcraft. No more easy crafting recipes.

Also, does anyone know if linking books are one time use? Mine are always disappearing when I transport back. Would be a huge pain to have to make a new one every time I want to travel to a specific age.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I'm still trying to learn the basics of some of the more popular and well-made mods, but wanted to get a feel for the state that they're in. I have a feeling that things have changed recently but no way to validate if that's the case. For instance, I get the impression that Thermal Expansion and RF power is becoming more of a standard, but can't really tell if that's just because of the modpacks I choose to play. It just seems to me that mods like AE and Mekanism are gravitating towards RF power. Is that a valid conclusion to be drawn?

What other paradigm shifts or large changes might be taking place in the Minecraft community?

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

mechaet posted:

You should come join us.

Has the Maxx server been posted yet? I haven't seen a thread in PGS yet. I'm still ~1 week into the Diet server so debating whether to stay on it or move to Maxx and start fresh with everyone else.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

In terms of storage, I'm definitely a stickler for organization. I haven't used AE that much, but from what I have seen it can certainly store all materials very easily if you have enough drive space. To me though, it doesn't seem like that is very organized. It's just one window that has everything under the sun. Do Deep Storage Units help with that? What is the benefit of using those in addition or conjunction with AE?

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I just need to mess around with it more.

Carados posted:

You can actually organize what goes on an ME drive, which will fix your organization issues.

Looking through documentation, I may need to mess with the Partition Editor a bit.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

mechanicalFactory posted:

You could have an export bus to an autocrafter block like the cyclic assembler from TE, and then have the results feed back into the network. The problem with that would be you need to have an assembler for each type of dust you have in the network. Once you have the assembled dust block, have another export bus feed the blocks into your furnace/smelting setup.

Blocks like the Autopackager and something similar from Factorization may help. They take items and try to combine them into a 2x2 or 3x3 pattern and output the result. That may cover all different types of dusts.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I started a YCC server through AWS recently for my own personal use. Something that would be persistent to allow chunk loading, raw materials hoarding, shenanigans, etc...So far, I like the pack quite a bit. It very much leaves it open for you to do whatever you want...less directed if you will than AS, in my opinion.

I also like that there aren't a million different types of copper, tin or other ores in the world gen. Lot of packs don't take the time to make that happen and it's so drat nice not to have to deal with that.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I typically go for an igneous extruder first which makes everything else come easy...free cobble!

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

djw175 posted:

So all this talk about Agrarian Skies got me interested enough to try it out. But I can't turn in the QDS quest. Looking around, people say it has to consume the hopper, but my quest book doesn't say anything like that and even if it did, I have no button to submit it.

If I recall correctly, you set the QDS to have the Task at hand. Then you take the hopper in your inventory, open the book and manually detect the hopper and submit the quest. It should remove it from your inventory and give you credit.

Edit: Beaten.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

How does Cauldron fit into all of this? The Yogscast Complete/Resonant Rise pack I'm using just upgraded to Cauldron, which used to be MCPC+. How does that fit in with all of this? As I understand it, it kind of marries the two, correct? I can run Bukkit plugins and all the Forge mods...

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

yegods posted:

Maybe I'm just internet-dumb, but I've tried to find Yogscast Complete server for download, and failed miserably. Can some kind soul point out the proper place to pick up this server pack? tyia.

You can download the server from the AT Launcher. It will download it into the AT Launcher folder and then you can move it wherever your server is hosted.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Anyone holding out that they may be a positive thing for Minecraft? Sure, they'll clean up all the legal mumbo jumbo going on in the community, but if they devote even a small helping hand to this project they could provide tools and resources to take the platform to the next level. Mojang will constantly remind you they are a small team and can't afford to implement x, y and z. Maybe with Microsoft, they'll embrace the modding community and help with some of the technology issues -- server performance, updates, etc.

Too much to ask for?

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Anyone have any facts on the way in which the game is played? How is the user base distributed over the many platforms? What % of users play modded Minecraft? Where has all the recent growth been? That to me will be a big indication of why Microsoft may want Mojang.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm playing on a server using the latest version of the Yogscast Complete pack, and I'm a bit confused as to how exactly to do research in Thaumcraft. The scribing tools are in the desk and it's a proper research station and all that, but it won't take my paper. Am I missing something?

Scribing tools and paper in your inventory...then go to Thauminomicon and click research on something. It will create a note that you then place in the table along with the scribing tools. Rinse and repeat. You don't actually place the vanilla paper in the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

AceClown posted:

Did someone mention way back a mod or mod item that would take 4 of an item and attempt to craft them together?

Would make my life so much easier right now...

There's an autopackager that attempts to take items from an inventory on its left and combine them in either a 2x2 or a 3x3 crafting grid to an item it puts in the inventory on its left. I know it's in AgSkies.

• Locked thread