Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

1) You're probably thinking of Forestry, the author of which introduced WORLD DESTROYING BEES that would literally corrupt your world if it detected anything to do with Technic. No announcement or anything, or even any requests to REMOVE the mod from the pack. It was pure-strain passive-aggressive douchiness.

I thought they just caused explosions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Squirrelo posted:

There's a coal reef mod included in omp-a that does all that and more. Don't know if it's updated yet though.

Uh, don't add this and Buildcraft in the same pack. Coral Reef will put coral in the underground oil bubbles, and when coral is generated it places water. So, it puts water in your oil bubbles. Also, if you later remove Coral Reef, you'll have tons of air on the ocean floor!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Old Greg posted:

b) Might be explained in Skyden itself, but if I have a Zombie drop an iron bar and have gravel, I'm beelining straight to the Nether. If that's not intended, a note in the starter book would help. (Again, not far enough for gravel, so if Iron comes first or this is stated, nevermind me)

It is in the rules book (one of them anyway) that you're not supposed to use rare zombie drops.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Why the gently caress do those npc's have tits?

I'd like to point out here that the NPC with tits in that screenshot is using a Lara Croft model.

Yyyyyyep.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mutamu posted:

I was thinking about meat earlier. Has anyone created a mystcraft page for a meat block material modifier and/or a liquid meat liquid modifier? :getin:

That would make an interstellar gastronomic delicacy.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I swear this used to work!

I think the max output for liquiducts was lowered to 100mB/t. That accounts for 400. The Boiler itself can only output 80mB/t per face per block, so the Consumer is grabbing the other 80 directly. I believe you can manage 500mB/t by moving the Consumer one block away so that it's taking in steam from 5 liquiduct outputs, but it doesn't matter since you need 720mB/t to handle one boiler's steam production. So you need two consumers per boiler now.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I wonder how much better performance will be.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

Alternatively, just edit the kinetic generator to generate enormous amounts of energy every step.

Is heat generation tied to energy generation, or independent? If it's the former, well...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Guys, let me tell you, a plasma leak is a bad thing. The plasma doesn't just instantly gib you, but it also glitches the gently caress out of any power armor you're wearing. Which wouldn't be so bad if the Toasty Pack weren't also running the OpenBlocks mod which stuffs your inventory in a ghost in a grave block instead of scattering it on the ground for the plasma to vaporize. Me and a friend have taken turns trying to get our inventory back. Any time we get a bad piece of power armor in our inventory we instantly explode as if the armor was as hot as the surface of the sun. It makes our client lock up so we have to force-close it as we sit there in the server with around -2000 health. When we reconnect we then instantly burn to death again before being allowed to move.

So between the fusion generator suddenly glitching out on me, the frustrating resources issue just trying to fuel it, and this latest glitch, I'm not touching Fusion again. Time for something safe, like giant banks of electrolyzers.

That happened to me once too, except the power armor only killed me if I tried to put it back on. Is it automatically being equipped? Perhaps you could wear some iron armor or something so it doesn't throw itself into your empty armor slots.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Fully half of my research theories have been impossible to complete. The problem is, the path is one-way, and the generator does not apparently assume this. So you can have all the little nodes in one line, but the start point is in the middle, so you have no way of making a round trip. I guess there could be more aspects related to the theory than I am activating, but there's no way for me to loving tell! There are no research hints, no description of the item I'm researching, not even "this has x aspects total". Spending research points to find more valid aspects isn't a good option either.

Also even when there IS a valid path, sometimes it will just not go the right way until you fiddle with the runes a bit, wasting ink and research points. The lost research points are ESPECIALLY punishing since you have a very limited amount of them. I am already out of Order points and I have researched like three theories.

I think I really loving hate this new system.

Edit: Why is there a red fish instead of a red checkmark for one of my aspects? This has gone beyond "mystery" and into "lacking explanations for basic mechanics"

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 20, 2013

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ah, I figured something out that really helps. When there is a valid path but the connections aren't cooperating, you can force it into the right path by putting inactive runes in the way of the invalid paths.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Blacktooth posted:

So, I step away from MC for a while. I come back today to check out how things are going. RP2 is dead, and the grate was something I used often, but I discover something call the flood gate. I head over to the BC github to see if it has been released. There near the top of the list is this: https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/commit/f84baecaed049fbf35dc7cad0f0025b312d12ef3 and a bit later this: https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/pull/1286

The drama never really stops does it.

Looks fairly reasonable to me.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Is that just a joke, or can it store containers that have items in them, somehow?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
In my experience, they spawn zombies near them.

Edit: Okay, maybe not. They DO seem to make terrain around them darker, though.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 22, 2013

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So is there an item similar to a Brain in a Jar in Thaumcraft 4? It seems a same to let all the Infernal Furnace's exp go to waste.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Serifina posted:

It exists, but it's now a Lost Research, so you need knowledge fragments.

Dang. Guess I better get exploring!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rutibex posted:

1.2.5 is clearly the superior classic modded Minecraft version. Somnia, EE2, Greestone Wire, RP2, Thaumcraft 2 (liquid Vis!) far fewer nerfs.... I think Somnia is the real clincher; I makes for an entirely different single player base building game.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1938500-164forgesmp-somnia-simulating-the-world-while-you-sleep/
Somnia is in 1.6.4!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Shadowmorn posted:

When you get settled in, read this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561897&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#post420704091

Might help you over any speedbumps with thuamcraft 4

That doesn't go very far into researching. Here are some important tips:
1. The path is one-way. You need to start at the first dot and go to each other one in turn. You can't split the beam.
2. The path cuts corners to connect to symbols rather than dots. To avoid this, put inert symbols in the way of the shortest path.
3. If you count all the unique symbols, you can often tell which ones will activate and which ones are red herrings. Then you can move symbols into position before spending rare research points, and avoid having to spend points toggling them.
4. Don't be afraid to try shoving obviously unrelated aspects in that you have a lot of. Removing red herrings is useful too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Preem Palver posted:

Probably overlooked due to the 1.7 announcement, but does anyone have any ideas? Maybe I'm just too used to Big Dig, but less than half a stack of iron, a stack of redstone, and a single cluster of diamond ore per double chest of branch mining output seems a little low. We still have yet to find a single piece of lapis ore, and at this point I've redone the entire modpack (same mods, but the first time it was essentially a modified Luddite 4 [thanks/sorry fondue!]), adding each mod one at a time, combing over the config, and have started an entirely new map. The largest difference is that my new map is running with world=BIOMEOP type instead of world=default with Biomes'O'Plenty biomes enabled. Mod configs are completely default, except for turning off default millenaire village generation and turning off treecapitator's "take longer to chop down a tree than chopping each block individually" setting. I wouldn't even really care, except that we can't even find enough ore to get tinker's construct started. It seems pretty ridiculous that after several hours of branch mining between 4 players that we don't want to use enough iron to construct a tool forge. Even if we made metal tools through Tinker's Construct, we don't have any lapis or enough redstone to actually make the investment worth it. I don't want it to feel too easy, but surely after several hours of mining you should have enough diamonds/iron to at least craft some armor?

Why are you branch mining? Find some caves, you see new block faces much faster that way, and thus can find ore faster. Granted, that doesn't work as well for diamonds, as at the depth they spawn the caves start to get filled with lava.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Uhhhh... how do I actually make a brain in a jar? I've scanned almost everything in the game and the only things so far that have undead aspect are monster spawners and mobs. I obviously can't melt those down.

I tried using a dark node with undead aspect to fuel my infusion altar but that doesn't work!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

American Dad posted:

I think you can use wither skeleton skulls.

Errrr... I think I will just go break monoliths to get wispy undead essence. I'm not playing with any other mods at the moment, so farming skulls isn't an option. Is there any way to break nodes that are just floating freely? Maybe drain them empty with a wooden/iron wand? Or does that not give wispy essence?

It amazes me that such a simple, useful tool has been turned into one of the most difficult items to make.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 28, 2013

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Shadowmorn posted:

I found out that normal skeleton skulls have Exanimus on too. :argh: All them wither skulls wasted!

I haven't gotten any of those either, so I just wound up killing like four dark nodes to get enough wispy Exanimus. It's actually not TOO bad to get Exanimus that way, but it's still really dumb that you have to do that.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I know about how to unlock and combine more elements. My point was that at some point everything's been scanned (successfully) and unlike TC3 you can't just throw more items into it, but I guess there's later machines and aura node scanning to keep things loaded. Outside of that, the resources are essentially finite, so I was asking if there's a renewable source.
I'll look into the crystal clusters too.

The only truly renewable source is farming stuff and dumping it in the deconstruction table. Eventually, new nodes will become too troublesome to get to. Though, I would like to say that I haven't even filled out half of a fully zoomed out map and I've got like 200 of every primal. Getting a zoomed out map and filling it out while wearing boots of the traveler and goggles of revealing will net you a LOOOOOT of primal research. It is also likely to get you some lore fragments, from the burrows and temples you find here and there.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Is there any easier source of ender pearls in Luddite? I've found like five endermen in the whole time I was playing and only one even dropped a pearl. Once I get to the end they won't be a problem, but to get to the end, I need a whole lot of pearls anyway.

Make a looting sword, then go out in deserts at night to spot endermen easily.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

drat, with all the biomes I'm gonna have trouble finding-

Oh, thank god! I live right next to a magic forest. Witches are my least favorite mob ever.
I'm actually really impressed with how well BoP has integrated with all these other mods.

You can easily make your own Eerie biome by bottling a dark node and putting it near your base. A tainted node works too (to create Tainted Land) but that comes with rather severe drawbacks. You could also generate a tainted biome in some way then put down a Pure node to clean it up, and in the process turn the area into the (Thaumcraft)Magical Forest biome.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

Hello thread, I got tired of waiting for TE3 to play on a server, so I just decided to make a temporary one. The world will most likely reset when TE3 comes out, but if you're dying to play in the meantime, you can come here. Though if the world is really good I may keep it. I'll make a real PGS thread and everything when TE3 comes out. No whitelist currently, so be nice.

TS: bmrf.me
server IP: bmrf.me:25560
Dynmap: bmrf.me:8123

Platform pack: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/progress.12299

Everyone is welcome, but it's not PvP so I will ban anyone who griefs at all.

Mobgriefing is off but Infernal Mobs' ghastly fireballs ignore that setting, apparently.

One more completely broken feature of a poo poo mod.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TwystNeko posted:

But that's for research. I need it in my wand, so I can upgrade my wand/goggles/whatever the hell.

I'm in a forest full of silver/greatwood trees, and have found maybe... 3 nodes? None of them have anything I need anymore. Is there a better way to search for the stupid things other than roam around randomly with the thaumometer?

You can kill creepers and zombie pigmen for ignis, I believe.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Limerick posted:

Right now I'm thinking Weird Science. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Lunar Generator. When exposed to night sky, generates power based on how full the moon is.
Enchantment Engine. Insert enchanted (vanilla, so as to avoid things like meteor armor) items and it strips the enchantments, increases its "fuel" meter, and generates power over time burning it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zebrin posted:

What I would like to see in solar generation something OTHER then photovoltaic. Give me a proper Heliostat tower, where properly aligned mirrors are the key to good production, or even an Updraft Tower. If you make it a proper multiblock structure I can have an awesome tower on the top of my mountain generating power for my base.
Also, proper multiblock windmills that convert rotational mechanical energy into store-able electric energy. I really kinda dislike plonking down a single block and stuffing coal into it to generate power. I like designing stuff. Even if I always end up with function over form.

Factorization has mirror-based solar power.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hagop posted:

BCs gate system is really cool as well, but I have a feeling that like no one knows about it so most people wont miss it.

It is cool, but I wish it worked properly with more things. I tried to use a cobblestone structure pipe+gate to detect if a planter had potatoes in it (to keep the planter from sucking out all the potatoes from my AE system) and it thought it had stuff in it even when it was empty.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Force fields are sort of an alternative to quarries. Set them up with the things that make them break blocks and place them into an attached chest, power it, watch as it beams a hole of your desired size/shape. :science:

You can also use this technique to copy floating islands from mystcraft worlds and then paste them into other dimensions!

Wait what? Could you explain how to do that second thing?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

greententacle posted:

I think the taint in Thaumcraft 4 doesn't go beyond the biome borders (at least for naturally spawning taint biomes?) I've got a taint biome right near my spawn and it doesn't seem to be spreading.

It gets really nasty after a while though, doesn't it? Crusted Taint.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

Tanks, boilers, and engines. There are tank alternatives, but they aren't near as neat or compact. Boilers have no alternative, and RC has the most convenient earlygame engines.

Knowing the modpack you have, I think you could get rid of railcraft. Extra Utilities has fluid barrels which work about as well as tanks. 256 buckets in two blocks! MFR has biofuel generators which you can set up instead of boilers for your endgame fuel. Earlygame engines would have to be the BC engines. Unfortunately this means Fuel has much less use- only Combustion Engines would use it then, right? You could just yank out Buildcraft at that point and get rid of oil in general.

Of course, after Thermal Expansion comes out for 1.6, that throws all this out the window. The TE steam engine is just plain better than the Stirling Engine, and... there are magmatics too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

rhoga posted:

I had this same problem earlier, and couldn't find anything online. It took a little effort and all my precantio, but it seems like the chain can only connect to one thing at a time. Put some inactive runes in there to break up some extra links so that there's just one long chain.

Yeah, you can't split the path, and it needs to be one-way. It miiiight be possible to reuse a symbol, but that seems really fiddly. You'll also find out that the symbols prefer to connect to other symbols rather than dots, so you may need to restrict the path with inactive symbols. TC4 could stand to have better instructions for research in the thaumonomicon.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

dijon du jour posted:

On the other hand, you only ever really need one wand at a time, unlike last time when all the elemental wands were their own separate thing and were constantly breaking so, eh, I consider it a fair trade, honestly. (The wand foci don't break, do they? I haven't made one yet)

Nope, wands and foci don't break. I prefer reed wands, myself, for delicious passively recharging lightning. Though I suppose if you can regularly recharge a silverwood wand you won't NEED passive recharging.

I wish you could dye the caps.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

m2pt5 posted:

No, you only need one of each (but you can make multiples of Thaumic Tinkerer's dislocation focus to carry more than one tile entity at a time.) My real complaint is you need either a greatwood wand with thaum caps (I think, might need a silverwood/gold wand) or a full set of the gear that gives vis discounts to be able to hold enough vis to assemble the silverwood/thaum wand once you have the three parts. (I don't believe that's changed from the last version, it's just more annoying to get there, even using the cheat sheet book.) Also you practically have to jar a bunch of the biggest nodes you can find and bring them back to your base, unless you want to run all over the world whenever your wand needs to get recharged.

Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff Thaumcraft brings, the infusion altar is neat in concept (if a bit picky about how things work), and using foci instead of separate wands to do all the neat functions is awesome, it just feels like a grind to get all the fun stuff.

You can just make one of the elemental wand core types in between greatwood and silverwood, you know. The elemental cores store 50% more than the greatwood core. Also you can make a silverwood wand with gold caps for less vis than with thaumium caps. There aren't just three tiers of wands. Mixing and matching the caps and cores results in greatly varying vis costs.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I've found that after a while, more and more of the aspect types in my research table will be shiny, despite not having put more aspect-related things next to the research table. Any new research tables put down will NOT have all the aspects shiny.

So I think research tables will generate research by themselves.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Guys holy poo poo, a mod that makes oceans worth diving into? Mariculture adds really spiffy looking coral, kelp, and kelp forests, along with a faster, indestructible boat, and deep ocean trenches(ravines). There's a whole ton of other things too, like fish breeding and extra enchants.

https://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2049315-16xforgesmp-mariculture-113a-rf-time-updated-21112013/

dijon du jour posted:

So whenever I get near tainted areas in my Thaumcraft world when not in peaceful mode it always crashes and throws this crash log at me. http://pastebin.com/Zh4GSRq3 Can anyone here make sense of this? I tried asking in the Thaumcraft 4 thread but they seem to be busy right now with some guy who's having a mental breakdown about the new crooked labels.

Looks like something called a Frost Shard got bugged up. Mo' Creatures is in there, perhaps it's incompatible with TC4?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
IGNORE ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Erogenous Beef posted:

Assuming you haven't fiddled with the settings, the base level is 40RF/t per fuel rod block. It should be theoretically possible to get roughly 60-70RF/t per block via fertilization, but I haven't done all the math out. You also get about +1RF/t per 10C or 15C of reactor heat, I forget which. However, Taffer mentioned he'd fiddled with the balance setting, so that may be why it sounds low.

With stock settings, a playtester reported getting 60,000RF/t from a 32x32x48 reactor in a grid pattern. Lots of power, but very, very inefficient.

The efficiency drops off as heat increases, especially above 1000-1500C. That's supposed to give you a design choice: dense, hungry reactor with very high instantaneous output, or sparse, efficient reactor with much lower power output and fuel consumption?

Edit: If you guys have suggestions on how to improve the UI to help people understand this stuff, I'm all ears. :)

Can't you make a bunch of smaller, efficient reactors, to have a high power output while retaining high efficiency?

• Locked thread