Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Giraffe posted:

Holy moly, I didn't even know such things existed. Those look awesome. I don't know if I can do it, though. I had thought my budget was obscene already, not sure I could sell these to the wife. Tempting, though. I'll have to ponder this one.

You will technically get the best isolation from foam tips inserted properly, but a well fit silicone custom will be dang good and extremely comfortable. Acrylic can also be great, its what I have and isolation and comfort are out of this world good (just a notch below in isolation, and silicone is flexible so some people prefer that).

You can totally find a custom option in your price range. As a veteran traveler, I can't imaging using anything else now.

If you go for a universal iem, get something that works with the Shure 'Black Olive' tips. Those have by far the best comfort and isolation in anything I ever used, and I have an extensive tip collection (which now just collects dust).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

arbybaconator posted:

I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs to replace my SE530's which were tragically lost a year ago.

I was looking at the SE53's on Amazon, and I see that there is a regular version and a "Japan Import" version, which is about $100 cheaper.

Does anyone know the difference between these two models outside of the price?

If you liked your 530s think about replacing them with what is current. I had the original E500s, loved them, and have since found that there is a lot more out there. Might be a good chance to see what else you might want to try.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Unfortunately, I think I need a slight fit adjustment due to a little pain in one ear, but that's the deal with customs.

My customs had to be entirely rebuilt because the acrylic on one side pooled in a spot while curing.

froward posted:

Can we talk about 3d surround headphones? Six (or more) channels pumping multiple drivers (usually) on (bulky,expensive) headphones. I only know these exist from having tried them at a show. I think with the Occulus Rift (and other 3d goggles) becoming a Thing, 3d sound might become not lovely again.

I don't know any of the right terms to google and I'm getting steadily more confused. Could someone more knowledgeable please point me in the right direction? :coolfish:

Viscous lies, all of them. You can get perfect 3D sound from binaural recordings, or software encoded real time binaural positioning. Two drivers is all you need. For headphones, even if you have more than one driver in each earphone, the sound hits the left and right ear independently and the phase difference between each channel turns into your brain telling you where the sound is coming from.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Good as new :(

My ears are cringing in pain looking at this

*checks iems to make sure they are in one piece*

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Beautiful Princess posted:

So I recently got a pair of Sennheiser PC 350 for gaming and started using them for music/movies etc late at night as I am in an apartment. I couldn't believe how good they sound, and I am just using on board audio. I am considering getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 or better though for longer listening as the PC 350's get really warm really quick. I also picked up a set of Audioengine A5+'s and they sound great.

So what I would the improvement be if I were to get a DAC for the Sennheisers and Audioengines and would looking at getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 or better be a large imporvment over vs my PC 350's for the cost of the investment?

You are the perfect customer for the AudioEngine D1. I have a pair of their A5+s and love them, and the D1 works well as a DAC (for speakers and headphones) and Headphone amp.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

Best deal I've ever seen on them. Get it!

Any IEM deals today? I need to replace my aging SE215s.

I am a fan of Noble's products, and they are doing 15% Black Friday discount across the line.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

DaFuente posted:

Budget -$200ish
Source - iPhone, iPad
Isolation Requirements - Noise-cancelling would be preferable, but something with good isolation might suffice. Lots of airplanes and non-driving car situations.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Flat as gently caress.
Past Headphones - Back in the day I used some of the original Bose Triports and loved them until they broke. Currently using iE2s for general going ons, but I need something that will block or isolate better.
Preferred Music - Legitimately anything. Varied enough that I definitely need a flat response so as to not throw any one genre out of whack.
Notes- I'm a musician and I travel a lot. I need to block airplane sounds and road/bandmate noises while maintaining good sound. Foldability is a major plus.

Can you handle iems? For travel isolation you will be better with IEMs with foam tips like Shure black olives or comply foams.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

PittPanther posted:

I'm thinking about getting custom IEMs. Specifically, I'm looking at ACS Customs T1. List price is $1000, but they have a 40% deal for Cyber Monday, so $600 for custom IEMs, including fitting. Seems like a good deal; anyone have experience with this company?

I do not have experience with that company, but the $600 custom IEM market has a ton of great options in either silicone or acrylic.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

PittPanther posted:

The ACS Customs are silicone. What are good options in the $600 range?

|joker| is pretty much the definitive reviewer of all things iem, can be found here: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/ and on head-fi, some innerfidelity reviews as well.

I think Noble's silicone stuff even with their Black Friday discount is a little over your price range. I am a big fan of Wizard's work though.

Maybe the ACS are great, they just aren't widely reviewed.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

me your dad posted:

I'd like to avoid getting an amp at the time of the headphone purchase, in order to keep it within the $300 mark.

Edit: I've heard primarily positive things about the Mad Dogs, but would they justify a $300 purchase paired with the money necessary to buy an amp which could drive them (which is how much money?).

Overall I just want something different but still fun, compared to the M50.

Seems like you want the M100. Very fun and the bass is there. The Mad Dogs are more neutral and you may feel the bass is missing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

I mean $1,200 will get you an Oppo HA-1, but I dunno how it compares to other top end amps with the HD800 since I've never heard the HD800. The WA7 is pretty great too. I've only tested it with the HD650 thus far though.

I can't wait until you get your hands on a geek pulse.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

thats not candy posted:

Recommendations for 17 hour flights < $125? Any style, mostly care about jet drone and price.

Any IEM that can use the Shure 'black olive' style foam tips.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

Requoting

Selfishly, I fell into their trap and gave them a bunch of money.

Unselfishly, it has been interesting to watch these guys go from wanting to make a desktop dac/amp to making all manner of audiophile grade stuff with all of the requisite pricing and buzzwords. I think they are starting to ship units now.

I actually paid to upgrade it to balanced and plan to use it with my LCD-XCs. Maybe I just need to realize that I am a sucker and move on.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

I've got a few long flights coming up so I'm looking for some headphones to take along. The Quiet Comforts are awfully alluring, but in the name of something better...

Budget: $200, could be convinced a little higher if it's really worth it
Source: phone, computer
Isolation Requirements: Airplane-fighters
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over ear. My ears can be picky, so cushy is good
Preferred Tonal Balance/Music: Don't know any better, but my playlist is pretty wide, so probably neutral, maybe a little bass-leaning.
Past Headphones - $50 Plantronics-something-or-another at work that do me well enough

A mic for gaming would be nice, but is purely optional.

Last year I got a pair of refurbished audio technica noise canceling headphones from Amazon for like $40, specifically for a few long flights. These were awesome, and we also had a set of the Bose QC15 with us. Pretty much the same for 15% of the price. Spend the extra $160 on a seat upgrade.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

Do you know which model?

ATH-ANC27. They were both discontinued and refurbished. They have been great for pretty much what you want. There are deals to be had on them for sure.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

grack posted:

Run the cable up behind and over your ears

And if that doesn't work and the cables are replaceable, try a different cable. Don't fall for the stupid audiophile crap but you can get cables with less microphonics for sure.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

clq posted:

Hi! I have a pair of Ultimate Ears Triple fi 10s which I have had since 2011, and which I am actually quite happy with. I got them for 220 pounds (about 340 USD) at the time.
While I still like them, my needs have changed a little. I increasingly need to use them when travelling, and the UEs stick too far out of my ear to be practical for resting in airplane seats, etc.

Looking at the past few pages of this thread, the InEar StageDiver SD-2s look very interesting. I've also been incredibly tempted by custom fit IEMs in the past, and the 1964 Ears V3s look very nice...

I'm still not completely sold on whether I want to buy new headphones at all, but I'd be extremely grateful for comments on the above, as well as any other suggestions anyone might have,

Budget - 350 - 400 USD (unless I convince myself otherwise)
Source - Various portable music players, possibly the odd USB DAC/Computer, maybe a phone.
Isolation Requirements - As much as possible.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like bass, but I'm more picky about the mid-range. I'm not a fan of bass-heavy, and it annoys me when the treble feels like it is being drowned out.
Past Headphones - I've been through Shure E2C, E3C, SE210, and now have a pair of UE Triple fi 10.
Preferred Music - Mostly old rock: Pink Floyd, Genesis, Queen, Dire Straits and so on, and some classical. Though I listen to other stuff as well, so I would prefer "general purpose" to something with a bias toward a style.

Also note, for the sake of shipping, that I live in Norway. As far as I can see this complicates my possibility of getting custom molds a little.

I realise "SD-2 vs. V3" is a little all over the map, but I'm still at a point where I'm trying to figure out what I want.

Also, ear molds: Are these universal? The next time I go to the US or the UK (or even here in Oslo), can I go somewhere and pay to get my ears molded, and get a model I can send off to someone like 1964 in the future? Or do manufacturers require me to go to certain places they work with and get the mold done?

I'm leaning towards the SD-2s at the moment, but since I'm hoping to use whatever I buy now for many years, I'm also entertaining the idea of splashing out and getting a pair of 1964 V3s. However, I have just started looking into this, and would really appreciate any input anyone might have. Thanks!

I haven't heard either of those iems (look up joker's extensive review work) but can speak to the custom molds for iems. The material used to make these tends to shrink over time, so don't plan on keeping them. Some manufacturers will keep the negatives or something on file if you want to re order and at least the ones with which I am familiar charge for that storage. I think a few places are moving to digital impressions and manufacturing, which makes all that moot.

If isolation is important, consider getting a pair of silicone customs instead of acrylic. I have acrylic customs and they isolate well, but I believe silicone does an even better job of isolation but can get hot or sweaty over long periods of time.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Nerobro posted:

What's the cheapest way to get multi driver IEMs?

Why do you need multiple drivers? I know the driver count war was a thing for a while, but a lot of newer drivers have come out and sound great with fewer actual drivers than a few years ago.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Laserface posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but seems like the best place.

Im after a bluetooth bridge, I guess. I want to transmit audio from one device via aux out to another with aux in. Does such a pair of devices exist?

I have found transceivers but I cant fid any documentation that they will pair with each other and work back and forth.

AudioEngine at least used to have exactly that. See if you can find one.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Laserface posted:

The thing is, its gotta transmit and receive.

its for a microphone/earpiece setup I am playing with.

Interesting, I missed that. Haven't heard of anything like that but I would have no reason to.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sent from my iPad posted:

Has anyone used any better IEM under $500 than the ER4-PTs?

'Better' is tough. I am not a fan of the ER4s, or at least I wasn't years ago when I last tried them. If you like the flat, analytical nature of them, then in the price range you would have a hard time doing better. I think I like a little more fun and musicality in my iems.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The O2 is definitely nice. I have an LCD-XC and an AudioEngine D1. I don't like it with the LCD so I did the crowd funding thing for a Geek Pulse, which I hope doesn't kill them.
I should have just gotten some Schiit.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

Yeah HiFi man knows how to make a great looking and sounding product but they always shoot themselves in the foot with build quality.

Looking forward to the 1000 after your comment....

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

Tri-flanged are excellent, but I would imagine that customs provide better isolation. Someone else will likely chime in with more knowledge though.

I am pretty sure Wizard (Dr. John Moulton) has posted charts on head fi from his audiologist books that acrylic customs actually have less isolation than certain types of tips, specifically I think tri flange and foam. Not sure if silicone customs have more isolation than acrylic.

Not everyone likes tri flange though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tactical Lesbian posted:

The feeling of being tentacle raped in your ears... probably. It's just a comfort/preference thing.

I couldn't not quote this perfect username post combo, and I agree.

I have traveled a long time with IEMs and before I got my customs I swore up and down by the Shure Black Olive foam tips for both comfort and isolation.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ochowie posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of wireless headphones. Right now I have a pair of wired Bang and Olufson around the ear. Head fi recommends the Beats but I'm hesitant to jump into that pool. I've heard good things about the Jabra Revos but those got only mediocre reviews on head-fi which I've used in the past for my headphone buying with good results. Don't really have a budget but would be better to stay under one thousand.

Is there a reason why you need wireless, or at least need wireless in the headphone itself? I know of at least one Bluetooth dongle that is intended to power low impedance headphones (IEMs) which aren't themselves natively Bluetooth. Something like that would give you a lot more choice in headphone than needing Bluetooth in the phones directly.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I tried the Bose on-ear Bluetooth headphones in a store and I liked them but they're a bit pricey. Is there anything similar but less expensive that's reasonably good?

Do you really need Bluetooth?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

With Tyll, as well as any other reviewer, you need to understand their sonic preferences. Tyll doesn't like bright leaning headphones at all and prefers a warmer tonality, so if he likes something but you don't like warm headphones you may not agree with his reviews, but he's consistent so you have a base to go from.

I can't wait until Tyll posts nothing but measurement graphs and performance charts from his mystical review machine. He just wants to measure things.

Maybe one day someone will design the perfect headphone that reproduces sound perfectly, and this madness will be done.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

evobatman posted:

Is the stuff that comes up on Massdrop any good?

Some good stuff some stuff that is polarizing or people have opinions about and some crap.
More importantly sometimes things are a good deal on Massdrop and other times things can be found cheaper on Amazon or elsewhere. Buyer beware, especially with shipping charges on Massdrop stuff.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ochowie posted:

So as an update, I decided to get custom fit IEMs. I went with the Ultimate Ears 5 pro as they seemed near a sweet spot for what I wanted to pay. I really wanted to order a pair of Nobles but I don't want to wait for 2 months for them to be built.

That's why Noble offers rush orders...

The UE 5 pro should be real nice, though. Congrats.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

so I did a thing.

Am I doing this right?

I haven't even heard of the M70. Are they like an upgraded M50?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am a complete sucker and jumped on the Massdrop X Fostex thing. $399 for something between the Fostex 600 and 900?

Hopefully they will be an upgrade for my ATH M50 for everyday use since the LCD-XC is pretty heavy.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone else here do the Massdrop Fostex X00s?

I am really enjoying mine. A step up indeed from the ATH-M50.

Also much, much lighter than the LCD-XC, which I love but are heavy.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

WanderingKid posted:

You've had Shure IEMs that worked for 7 years? I haven't owned a pair that lasted more than 15 months and I've replaced alot of them: SE310, SE420, SE215 and SE425 x2.

I had Shure E500s that lasted maybe a decade? I think one of the channels finally started cutting out. Those little guys did hundreds of thousands of miles of travel with me.

I think there is an older pair of 210s that are on their third owner and still going strong.

I love love love the Shure black olive tips. If I didn't have custom IEMs I would still be using those tips.

Anyone here have the new Shure electrostatic in ears? Those look verry interesting indeed.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

what

the hell

are these

The truly amazing thing is that your head-fi post is the only relevant Google search result.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Monday_ posted:

Budget - Up to about US$400, willing to buy used.
Source - iPhone 6 with a FiiO E6.
Isolation Requirements - Gotta be closed, I mostly use them on the train.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Looking for as much bass as possible, but not muddy, prefer a V-shaped sound in general.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50s, quite happy with the sound quality/clarity but just want some louder bass.
Preferred Music - Mostly rock, a little bit of folk, hip hop, spoken word.

Was looking at a used pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s, but then heard about the Audio Technica ATH-Pro700MK2s. If those are just similar to the M50s but more bass heavy they'd be perfect for me, and my wallet.

Find a pair of the Massdrop Fostex X00 that someone got and doesn't like. Should be exactly what you are looking for.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Melp posted:

I'm thinking of venturing into the baller high-end $1k-2k headphone realm, but I'm not sure if I should do CIEMs (K10, UE18, etc) or full size open headphones (HD800, LCDX, etc). I work from home but travel quite a bit, so they'd both get roughly equal listening time. Here's some more info:

Budget - $2,000
Source (CIEM) - iPhone to a FiiO E12A, maybe also my computer (see below)
Source (Open) - Computer (digital out) to stereo receiver to headphone amp (probably Bottlehead Crack)
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - CIEM or Open
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral to warm
Current Headphones - V-Sonic GR-07 (IEM) & HD595 (Open)
Preferred Music - Pretty much everything, I'd also use them for movies and video games

I've seen a lot of people claim that CIEMs are the holy grail and full size open headphones can't touch them, and then there's a lot of other people claiming the exact opposite. I've got a place where I can try out some of the full size headphones, but I guess you can't really do that with CIEMs.

Obviously, at this level, personal preference plays a huge role, but I'm curious to get some other opinions.

I have a pair of K10 customs as well as the LCD-XC. While I don't have a full size open, I can tell you that my K10 gets way more use than the LCD. I don't need an amp for the K10 and I travel quite a lot, and that makes a big difference. You can't really do international air travel with a full size, and the K10 are so comfortable I can sleep in them even on a plane.

There are ways to demo a universal K10 (and some other CIEM shops also have universal demo pairs), and Noble even makes and sells the K10 universal so you could at least hear what they sound like.

I would say think about your use case and course and go from there. I love both my high end sets, but the K10 goes with me literally everywhere and the LCD is more a rare, sit down and listen to music treat.

If you go Noble I can probably give you a little more advice as well, since I have gotten to know them having the K10.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Melp posted:

The K10s are actually my top choice right now. How does the sound stage compare between them and the Audeze offerings? Have you tried the K10s with an amp before? I'm curious just how much of an impact it would make.

I have used a K10 with a good number of amps, and they take well to a good amp. Traveling I use the K10 either out of my iPad or from the iPad or iPod to an ALO Audio Rx. When the Cavalli Audio portable drops I will be buying that immediately (I tried a beta of the portable Cavalli for a while, and while it was missing the battery pack and circuit it sounded better than anything else I have heard with the K10). Before the Rx I used several other amps, the TCG U-Skin being particularly nice. For movies and such I use the iPods headphone jack and it sounds like I am in a full blown movie theater. Really, even the bass impact is palpable.

I honestly have not done much A/B comparison between the LCD and K10. The K10 are comfortable for long times at a stretch (18 hour plane flight comfortable). The LCD I can't wear more than an hour or two at a time. Soundstage on both are good. The K10 have such incredible detail retrieval that you can really get in and listen to every nuance of every instrument or part of what you are listening to. LCD is wider because they aren't shoved in your ears, and the micro detail (god I sound like a douchebag right now) isn't quite as pronounced. It isn't meant as a slam against the excellent LCD-XC, it's just a different flavor if that makes sense. Most people who I have had listen to the LCDXC say its the best they ever heard, including an audio producer/mixer with decades of experience who has ears I personally trust.

The LCD give you a sound stage that makes you feel like you are there, where the K10 feels like you are inside the music.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shankel Magnus posted:

Really interesting post. I didn't know that Audeeze had problems like that with their quality control. I have always wanted to upgrade my HifiMan He-400s to the LCD2 (or someday the LCD3). You think that the difference wouldn't be noticeable? I'm currently running the He-400s into an Objective 2 Amp/DAC.

There is a very good reason why you can email Audeze with your serial number and ask for their frequency response measurements (left and right) for your headphones. They test them at the factory but won't show you if they are mismatched unless you ask...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I have an old pair of Bose over-ear, noise-cancelling headphones that I plug into my iPhone at night to listen to white noise

They go through batteries like crazy, and yesterday I found out rechargeable Bluetooth headphones exist

What is the cheapest pair of over-ear, noise-cancelling, rechargeable Bluetooth headphones worth getting?

If you need noise cancelling can you handle IEMs? Would block out sounds and with white noise playing would be very isolating.