Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Gungeon is pretty fun but the early game inconsistency can be a massive drag. There's a few runs where poor luck means you're using a starter gun well into the 2nd floor as all your drops are items or other useless things.

My real pet peeve is the max life bonus. Often I feel like if I take a hit from the 1st boss you may as well start over as it can be a massive difference, especially when max life drops are so rare. Dunno what a better alternative to it would be though, rewarding perfect runs is good but it feels bad when you don't get it.

Black August posted:

I’m doin’ ok. Ditched into the background noise from TG once SA started to decline. Just keeping on and loafing in my treehouse in irc with Muk and Aeo. Them, me, No Control and Fraction have been running ADOM 3 for the last 5 years, and it’s about to end in a year. Finally caught the big one. :)

oh man is this the same ADOM game I read years back and bought an account to PM you about? Always hoped it'd actually have an ending one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Insane is definitely winnable the majority of the time with the caveat that your class/race selection has an enormous impact. My last win was Insane Roguelike with 3 deaths, and all 3 were avoidable - 2 from not bothering with buffing before a fight due to laziness, and 1 from refusing to flee from a dangerous situation. That was a Mindslayer though, if you tried it on an Alchemist or something you'd be relying heavily on sheer luck to avoid nasty random bosses. Normal mode is pretty much winnable 100% of the time on any class/race, it's just very tedious. Removing tedium is a big priority at the moment but there's some serious fundamental flaws in the game, like how there's no attrition/resources but 95% of singular fights have no risk, so on normal difficulty anything outside of a boss or particularly dangerous base type like horrors might as well not even exist. Even on Insane it's the same, except there's a lot more mobs that matter thanks to randboss spawns.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

LawfulWaffle posted:

I lost my first "serious" run of ToME a few hours ago. I spent 3 lives in rapid succession while I was surrounded in the Dreadkeep(sp?) after breaking into the vault and lost my last life on the next floor to some bad positioning a burn damage. I kept thinking I was close enough to the boss but the tower kept on going. As frustrating as it was to lose my level 17 Bulwark, seeing the list of classes I had unlocked laid out for me was nice.

Too bad I never got a chance to send any one to the anti-magic town. I ran into three while in the keep but they couldn't stay out of danger long enough to escape.

You made 2 errors: 1 is opening Dreadfell vaults, and 2 is playing a Bulwark. Bulwarks are a problem as they're decent vs melee damage but very poor vs magic, and so you can easily get lured into a false sense of security and then get deleted by a lightning bolt. However they have quite simple talents and are basically impossible to build badly so they're good as a newbie class, compared to something like Rogue which is powerful but very difficult to play and build early.

If you want an easy win I'd recommend an Archer. I developed them for the last patch but screwed up the balancing so they're hilariously overtuned. Once you get core talents up and running you have:

- About a flat 30% chance to ignore melee hits and counterattack with a bow shot
- A 5 turn silence/disarm that disables any mob that doesn't use mental or nature attacks
- Multiple escapes, status immunities and passive defenses
- Sentinel, a unique talent that straight up cancels the next talent the mob uses and puts a bunch of it's talents on cooldown
- Range/sight of 13, so you can snipe mobs from offscreen
- Tons of utility shots like a flare that blinds and removes stealth/invis, poison shots, stunning shots, knockback shots, pinning shots, dispelling shots...
- The highest ranged damage of any class, and probably the highest damage period behind a few melee classes

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I spent my $10 solely because I was mad as hell about Black August' s ADOM game dying and had to know how it would have ended via PMs.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

StrixNebulosa posted:

What is Black August's ADOM game?

Captain Foo linked it above, the 2.0 thread. A fascinating read until one of the players threw a tantrum and brought things to an untimely end. Which is when I registered so I could find out what the intended plot and ending would have been.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Cryptark advice - get those rapid fire rocket launchers. They absolutely annihilate anything although they're pretty ammo hungry. The repair systems are really dangerous without explosive weapons as their little drones will swarm you, but lobbing missiles at them usually sorts it. I usually like getting an energy weapon too - the pulse rifle is nice, and there's a lightning cannon that can pierce through walls so exploiting terrain lets you slowly kill anything except those giant robots.

Black August posted:

The fact that ADOM 3 is going to be ending this coming summer, after 10 years of work, almost brings me a sense of dread in having to achieve the absolute best in its finale. Discovering Traditional Games here in 2004 after such a horrible roleplaying career before with awful people was unbelievable ambrosia. I mean, I also got into ADOM because of SA, so. This drat site has done a lot for me and to me on this corner of my life.

And thank you for spending that money for them and me.

I wasn't even involved in the game beyond badgering you with PMs and even I feel amazed someone has had the patience to keep a game like that going for a whole decade. Shame it's not on these forums for us all to read, but I hope it all works out well.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Imo Tangledeep is pretty easy if you play a summoner build. I died right at the end with like 50 healing potions because I was so used to autopiloting through I got caught off guard by an actual damaging mob.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Card Quest is a really good game. It seriously nails the class fantasy part of a RPG which is impressive considering it's a card/puzzle game.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
If I could change one thing about ToME it'd be replacing a lot of status effects as well as haste/speed with the Tangledeep extra turn bar. No more 'so I've got 130% global speed, 150% attack speed but I'm slowed by 30%, is this going to result in that randboss getting 2 turns and killing me??'. Having a turn bar that goes from -100 to 100, where at either extreme you lose/gain a turn can replace a ton of the small, miscellaneous debuffs and effects.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
This thread has been discussing games like Card Quest which might not be 'true' roguelikes but seems like a good a place to ask my question as any.

Is there any other games like Card Quest on Android that fit that same niche? By that I don't mean only card based ones, but a tactical, crunch-heavy RPG. I've had a look around and nothing I can find seems to quite fit, but if it wasn't for this thread I'd have discounted CQ immediately.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen lots of people recommend Dream Quest but I'm not sure I can get past the art :(

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Night of the Full Moon is exactly what I was after, thanks for the suggestion.

FYI for new players - when out of combat, the bottom left of your screen has a special ability usable once every X combats. Took me a while to notice that, and its absolutely vital for some classes like Apothecary.

Speaking of Apothecary, it's definitely my favourite class. Not sure if I'm just insanely unlucky but it does seem like you never get an Amnesia Tavern so have to rely on your ability to remove cards - and you start with a ton of rubbish 1 damage attacks so it's a bit slow. But later you can stack enough buffs so that a mere 3 damage/burn potion inflicts like 6x that and casts multiple times thanks to Potency, Concentrate etc. I think the key thing is probably to get enough draw and action that you can draw your entire deck turn 1, play all your buffs, then just apply 50 stacks of burn/chill.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

tradjik posted:

How does Meteorfall: Legends stack up against Night of the Full Moon?

Are there any other good deck building roguelikes on android?

I really wasn't a fan of Meteorfall. The way the game works is that you have 1 card at a time, and your only choice is to play it or pass to regain stamina. There's no way to manipulate draws or retain cards, so it felt incredibly random. There's not a lot of variety in cards or enemies either.

Card Quest isn't really a deckbuilder as your deck is determined by the equipment you choose at the start of a run, but it fits a similar niche. Huge amount of content and very fun to play.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Up to max difficulty on Witch now. The Frozen Solid blessing is insanely good. For reference it consumes 5 Chill stacks at end of turn to give you a bonus turn, then increases the requirement by 5. I had a deck with 1 Blizzard, 1 Frost Nova and some doublecast/copy. Could easily apply enough to get 5 turns in a row consistently.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I had a stalemate vs Werewolf on Witch as well. In my case I could only do a max of about 100 damage per turn, and he'd regen more than that. The lesson I've learned is to make sure I'm capable of doing way more damage than that in 1 turn, or can manipulate Frozen Solid/Mana Storm. Or just use poison - I had a single copy of Wither that I managed to stack to 200+ damage in my Frozen Solid deck, that'll handily bypass any regen given enough time.

e: Just beat the Cursed Werewolf first try with Witch. It didn't even get to take a single turn aside from it's self buff routine, which gave it a resurrect. If the resurrect came with a 1 turn immunity like regular Werewolf I might have been in trouble. But as it was first round I drew my entire deck with the 0 cost draw 2 + Spell Crystal + multiple mana draw cards, replicated Frost Nova to stack 80 Chill, then just nuked it down over the next few free turns with Pyroblast/Thunderstorm. Frozen Solid is kinda busted.

Razakai fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 28, 2019

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Witch has really spoilt me when playing other classes. Werewolf with Call of the Wild can trigger 20 attacks in 1 go dealing 100+ damage and a bunch of armour with 1 card, but that doesn't compare to the infinite combos you can do with Frozen Solid/Mana Storm or just replicating loads of high tier spells.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I'd recommend Witch myself. It feels a lot more straightforward than anything except Knight - the others are great but can be a bit weird. Despite that it's still extremely fun. Great take in the archtypical mage class.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Seeing that post prompted me to return to ToME development because at least 3 major things on the list are things I'm supposed to be doing!

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I hope your work ends up featured in the upcoming undead expansion, I'm still really looking forward to an updated Necromancer or (especially) Deathknight.

Well, the gif of the new Embers class is one I did the development for. Still got to go through a balancing pass on that though. And the 2 listed classes for the DLC are mine as well. Currently I'm finishing up a new Necromancer addon that I'll use as a testbed for DLC ideas:

Victory Position posted:

wait a second, weren't you supposed to update Skirmishers? :thunk:

I'm supposed to update like, every class. I do have a 3/4 finished Skirmisher rework addon sitting on my drive! Turns them into a sling/dagger hybrid rather than sling/shield - still a ranged class, but builds up charges to expend for throwing knife attacks and powerful melee hits. I'll probably include it in my reworks addon at some point, atm I only have new-Berserker released.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
So we don't seem to have a ToME thread here anymore, but for the people that were playing my Necromancer addon there's now a brand new version:
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49548

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Ragnar34 posted:

Cool, what do you do with the little witch on higher difficulties? I do fine on hard difficulty 5 of 7 with the other characters, but I die like five times per run even on witch 4/7.

I cleared Witch mostly via cold decks. Look for the Deep Freeze(?) blessing, that gives a bonus turn if you apply X stacks of freeze. Then grab Waving Staff, that equipment that auto-casts an attack each turn (Silver...) and then Frost Nova/Blizzard/Deadly Frost/Super Hex. Can easily get 10 turns in a row. Or try to go infinite with Mana Storm and lots of mana generation cards.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Unfortunately no. If you have the patience you could look at the git merges at https://git.net-core.org/tome/t-engine4 but that's a lot of effort. I'd type them up but no proper internet for a couple weeks.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=50083
More detailed patch notes for TOME 1.6.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Annihilator is a bit undertuned at the moment in some aspects. So will be improving them this week pending approval.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The Annihilator feedback is pretty accurate (albeit amusing when one of the top feedback posts on the forum atm is complaining they deal no damage). I've got a bunch of bugfixes for them coming up that also buff turrets just by making them less dumb, but will do balancing after that. In thanks, have a picture of the Annihilator pet because the I can't stop giggling at the angry face and tailgun.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I think I'll make a new thread for ToME seeing as it's getting a bit more interest post 1.6. Any good title suggestions? As much as I'd like to title it "Tales of Maj'eyal: I assume this is a Razakai class?" that's a bit self indulgent.

(p.s. I have a bunch of anni fixes ready to merge now, but nerfs and buffs will come later. turrets are certainly stronger now though just by being less dumb!)

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Prides are better now. More unique features, and smaller map iirc

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Unimpressed posted:

So is there a new ToME thread?

I'm putting one together at the moment, mostly just copied from Magres's old thread. Will be up tomorrow I think.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Regarding the new ToME thread I've been inundated with bug reports for my new class so unfortunately that's been taking priority. Maybe in a couple of days?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, part of the issue is that there are so many things to look through, and you often aren't 100% aware that this particular set of modifiers and skills will gently caress you up, while the nearly identical one you fought a few minutes ago went down like a chump.

In theory, giving monsters player skills is neat and gives them cool combinations to overcome. In practice it makes the monster difficulty swing wildly and makes it difficult to evaluate their threat level at a glance. A player can stop and evaluate every single monster they come across, but that quickly leads to player fatigue when the vast majority of the time that effort is wasted. It's why I prefer games where monsters are more clearly signposted as a threat, and where they have well defined abilities that they always have. That way if I know that I'm weak to monster type B, then I know to be on alert when I see monster type B, instead of mousing over and closely inspecting any and all minibosses to see if any of their abilities synergize well enough to exploit my weakness to type B attacks.

This is something that really bothers me about ToME, despite being a developer on it.
In almost any other RPG, you can get across the threat level of an enemy via visuals or naming. If you see a dragon, it's probably a major threat, and you know it's threat is going to come from breath attacks and be a fairly powerful melee attacker. If you see an Apprentice Mage next to a Grand High Arch Cyromancer, you know they're both going to cast spells, but one is reasonably weak and one is going to have dangerous cold spells.
But in ToME? There's only a minor relation between what the mob is and how threatening it is, with a few good exceptions like horrors. And this also leads to base types that are usually a total nonissue like swarms suddenly becoming game ending threats if they spawn with the right class.
This causes a lot of gameplay and theme issues. Snakes with bows are kinda funny, but it contributes to making the game feel far more samey. Someone once half-joked that ToME is a game that only has 27 monsters total, which isn't far off from reality. It doesn't matter that much if you're in a forest fighting wildlife or a ruin fighting skeletons - 95% of the enemies you encounter are going to be trash you mow down, and the 5% that threaten you are pulling from the class list and so end up being identical. It's not like, let's say, DCSS and branches where you know roughly what threats to expect and what gear to bring - it's totally random what you're going to fight. Plus the aforementioned issue of forcing players to expect each and every mob to figure out if that shiny randboss is going to be no problem at all or one to flee immediately from.
Unfortunately this isn't something that could easily be fixed, even if there was will for it (and I think I'm alone in my viewpoint compared to the other devs and most of the current playerbase). You'd have to entirely remove the rare system and come up with a replacement. You could accomplish it by then making a ton of new "rare" enemies and unique bosses that have themed skillsets to fill in the gaps, adding themed templates onto enemies, and reworking a bunch of the currently pointless enemies to fill some sort of combat niche. But that's a colossal amount of design work.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The big v1.7 update for Tales of Maj'Eyal, whenever it actually happens(MAYBE not several months from now given the info dump), seems well stocked with a thorough Necromancer overhaul at the least:

https://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2020/05/necromancer/patch-17-big-feature-preview-new-necromancers

You can practically see the handful or so of newly wrought hyperfocused Cormac gimmick runs manifest before you.

Newcromancer is basically all coded, although balance and testing work has barely begun. So not "immediate", but not "in 2 years time" either.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can you tell us anything about Gravelord?

Not without DG slapping me for leaks! All I can say is that if you liked Deathknight you should also like this.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that was in fact my main question

Though just so people don't get the wrong idea, it's nowhere near a 1:1 port - you might see a few familiar bits, but I'm keeping Deathknight as it's own addon thing. This should hopefully evoke similar themes, but with a more modern design.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I picked Griftlands up the other day.

In terms of art, music, polish etc this is fantastic. Lots of nice animations, cool character designs and so on, by far the best in it's genre.

For gameplay, it's hard to figure out yet. I've only played the first character, and it kinda feels like there's not enough cards/interesting builds, but I also have hardly unlocked or played anything so maybe this is intentional, so you're eased in. I really like it so far though, hoping that it has plenty of content.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
It does feel a bit lacking in card/build variety. Only really played a lot of Sal so far, but the archetypes seem to be bleed, combo, discard and improvise. Discard/improvise seem really hard to successfully build so it's generally just come down to stacking a ton of bleed, or stacking a ton of combo points+finishers.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Monolith is real good, although the music and color scheme can be an acquired taste. I think I'd actually rate it higher than some of the bigger ones in the genre like EtG - it doesn't have quite the same level of polish, but it's fast paced and tightly designed.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
One thing with Nowhere Prophet Vs Hearthstone is that value trading constantly is going to result in a ton of wounded units. The wound system isn't quite as bad as it looks though.
I won my first try by going 'aggro' - normal mobs have low enough life that i could often kill things on the 2nd by minion attack + 2 direct nukes. Later I had a bunch of 4 cost deal 8, so even the final boss got burnt down.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Vault of the Void seemed neat at first, but it hasn't grabbed me like StS did. It does a lot of cool stuff, but the classes feel a bit 'overengineered'. It was ok with the first class, but the second was a bit ridiculous when you'd have cards reading like 'Inflict 2 Future Strike thrice and 3 Shii twice, Opener: Echo Wall 1, Zen: Draw 1, Chain'. Shame as the deck builder aspect is a nice twist, plus mechanics like purge, but not a fan of the class design at all.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Card Quest is a good example of inferring lore/flavor through mechanics. The classes feel incredibly distinct and fit the 'fantasy', despite it being a card game. Shame apparently the dev has 0 interest in ever doing a sequel, a bigger version of it would basically be my perfect game.
Regarding the above post, agreed with VotV not quite nailing it - the rogue works ok, but not in a particularly original manner, as it's pretty much StS Silent + a combo meter. The other two really don't gel with me at all. Like comparing StS/VotV's 'monk' classes, the Watcher fits the theme with how you flow between stances, build up for a big combo via retain etc, make rapid attacks through recurring 0 cost cards etc, and the retain/scry keywords fit her theme of a meditative martial artist. VotV's one just feels kinda... off? Like I can't picture why most of the cards do what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
StS does have some cute bits of lore. Like the set of +hp artifacts that are all fruit, with reference to how the spire has caused some sort of plant killing blight and so basic fruit items are rare artifacts. Or the alternative dialogue when you encounter Time Eater as Watcher. These are all very minor, but they're enough to hint at a wider, cohesive world.