Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Prism posted:

So, new Roguelike question: Cogmind.

Cogmind looks interesting but it's still in alpha. For anyone who's played it here: How feature-complete is it at the moment, and is it actually as good as it looks? I realize that second part's a bit subjective of course but I'd like to get other people's ideas on it. $30 is a lot to drop on an unfinished game; I don't mind beta testing in general but I'd like to know where it's going beyond the official articles on the web site (which are interesting, and I've read most of them).

I bought it, it seems very feature-complete with the main thing missing right now being certain side-branches to the ascent that aren't in yet. The UI is probably the most polished I've seen in a non-graphical roguelike. It's a lot of fun. It's REALLY hard, maybe a little unfairly so at time right now, but it's still in balancing and the side branches should help a little with the difficulty scaling, from what I understand.

With that said, $30 is a lot for a roguelike and if you do buy into it, it's certainly with the thought that you're funding development. It's clearly a passion project for this guy and he put a lot of work into it and it shows.

There's a pretty decent Youtube LP of it here if you want to see a bit about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMhPC_hVxk4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kyzrati posted:

"This guy" here. Thanks and yes about this:

The dynamics of the game will change significantly once the world is complete--you'll be able to take those mid/late-game exits to alternative routes, and there will be more choices for how you want to tackle the end-game.

That said, it's hard, but once you are familiar with all the mechanics, you can win a lot of runs, as I think it should be in any good roguelike. This is what I'll want to balance the final game for, once the branches are all in there to balance. The top player right now can win pretty much every run using the stealth+speed+hacking approach. :ninja: To my knowledge no one has yet won going the blow everything away route (some have come close), but that is intended to be hard mode, and is probably too difficult as is for the last few floors, because it's more balanced against some of the later content you don't have access to yet (in the branches).

A Dune novel, no less!

Oh I didn't know you posted here! Very cool game and it's quickly rising among my favorite roguelikes. And yes, the more I play of it the better I get, although I haven't won one yet. The attachment mechanic certainly leads to some fun stories. Like jettisoning nearly everything during a firefight that I was going to lose and zipping away as nearly core-only at double fast speed -- I was laughing at the thought of this massive combat bot suddenly crumbling to pieces and its brain flying away. Or the opposite: I managed to kill a pretty hefty mid-game jerk with me down to nothing but a chainsword. Rolling out the door after that armed with double Penetrators and high-end attachments from my enemies' scrap was a cool "WHATS UP NOW" moment.

I do need to get better at stealth running. I probably need to use fabricators a little more to be sure I have that gear in place before I get too high. But yeah, I'd agree with the contention that going heavy should be viable, even if it is hard mode - but as you say, I understand that branching should help.

A question (and feel free to answer this as specifically or as vaguely as you like, since I understand you may want to preserve some mystery on this mechanic): what raises alert level? I assume it's killing stuff, failing hacks, and wanton destruction, but I never feel quite clear on whether I'm making a big dumb mistake that is screwing me. For example, is blowing away a few green guys here and there for parts/matter okay, or am I doing the equivalent of murdering civilians and bringing the world down on me?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Does terminal familiarity increase just by accessing them, or do you need a successful command sent? And if the latter, does each success increase it more?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RoboCicero posted:

I played like four or five games of Cogmind, but definitely got pasted around the third floor each time. If I don't die to those drat Pests I die to letting a scout / engineer get away and alert half the level to my position.

One thing that would be great would be a 2x scaled UI. I have pretty crappy eyes and I would gladly trade off having to scroll around map if I could see the UI more clearly. The color difference between basic parts and neutral green civilians was also pretty close, but I was pretty tired at the time too. e: I just installed the OSX version and it looks fine -- looks like the issues I had with this was more that Bootcamp does funny things to resolutions.

That being said, I like it a lot -- rocket or grenade launchers are my absolute favorite at the moment just because they let me deal with Pests without eating a lot of durability damage. I've been trying to make a early melee build with Maces or Heavy Maces but I might need targeting computers to get my accuracy high enough to make it effective.

Also does anyone know what the special weapons like Welding Torches or Mining Lasers do? Are they intended for environment damage?

I believe you can dig through a wall with the mining laser. I haven't figured out if there's a special use for the welder.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Errybody getting their minds cogged

Cogmind has become my go-to loving around at work option. Plays great off a USB stick and looks just UI fancy and tech enough that I COULD have been doing something productive during the brief glimpse a co-worker gets before I switch to a real work window. And if I have to put it down for awhile, I can generally tell what I was up to just by looking at my current gear layout.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

dis astranagant posted:

That's why you shoot the scavenger. Assuming it's not yet another round where you got forced into rocket last stand that you barely limped out of and need to leg it before a goddamn ARC drops. That's how every run ends for me. I build myself to go fast and then 4 or 5 floors down either I round the corner into a commando team or I stop to swat some pests which apparently raised the alert enough to drop a loving ARC around the next corner. Since ARC apparently stands for rear end Rape Clowncar the run either ends there or fizzles out after they shoot half my parts off.

rear end Rape Clowncar is the best description of those boxes of hell.

Shooting at the scavengers works but there's been plenty of times when it manages to swoop in and get the one thing I care about while my line of sight at it is blocked by some other rear end in a top hat and then he's Zoidberging around the corner and down the hall before I can kill him. I think the scavengers are a fun addition to the game and thematically appropriate but man they can make you tear your hair out sometimes.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 10, 2015

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kyzrati posted:

The forums are the preferred place--the Ideas board naturally being one of the most popular over there...

Note that a number of important changes have already been planned for near-term versions and/or already implemented for Alpha 2 (coming soon!), many of which have been discussed over there. Examples being warning before ramming collisions, click anywhere to close a modal window, dozens of new fonts, stat comparisons between items, map labels stay open as long as you want, ESC working in more instances to exit modes, improved running, repair even attached parts, and more.

did you ever know that you're my herooooooooooooooo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Can the Caves of Qud Steam version be purchased elsewhere (Humble Bundle, GoG), or if I buy it through Steam can I play it without running Steam?

I don't have anything against Steam, I use it at home, but I play most of my roguelikes during downtime at work and I can't install Steam there.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Unormal posted:

Steam version works without running steam, you can just copy them to a USB stick or whatever and run them there. I'll have humble links up today at some point as well, but honestly even if you buy through humble I'd suggest just getting Steam keys from them, since I don't plan on locking it down via DRM and it's the easiest to keep updated, humble builds always lag way behind.

e: ^ Hey if you're dead set on giving us money, just gift a copy to a friend in need of sci-fi roguelikes!

Perfect! Gonna buy it off Steam and toss it on a USB to check out the new version at work. Thanks for the responses.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you bought into the Cogmind early access, make sure you grab the new version. Lots of great usability changes, like comparing equipment and not accidentally ramming into poo poo.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RoboCicero posted:

Just completed my first ascension of Cogmind :toot:

Can't say it's a reliable strategy, but my run was mostly finding a four-pack of Experimental Cesium Ion thrusters, then slotting in enough utility / power to offset the power drain and heat buildup while providing a modicum of protection. I had a Heavy Disruptor Cannon that I pulled out whenever I wanted to go one-on-one, but any item with a high penetration / critical would probably do just as well.

Most of my run was going around overloaded (but still at 200% move), then immediately activating all my thrusters to shoot to 500% - 1000% speed and jetting through enemies as soon as possible. Finally got lucky on -1 by opening the doors first try, then puttered around the shell before I realized I should probably put my hypervelocity railgun to good use and blew it open

I do wish higher rating weapons had more unique abilities though. We do get very high disruption / critical weapons, but most of the other ones were pretty hard to parse, even if they sounded :black101: as hell.

How much exploration were you doing versus just blasting for the stairs as quickly as possible?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Happylisk posted:

I seem to recall the dev saying that the perk wheels have over legs or flight units is abundance. They're just easier to find generally.

Speaking of cogmind propulsion systems, I'm pleased with the buff to treads with regard to recoil. One day I'll get to the surface with a pure blaster build... one day.

I got to -4 today going mostly heavy blasting but a squad of those nasty late game soldier types with penetrators herded me screaming off of -5 with literally all my gear destroyed. Couldn't recoup enough before I got trapped between a group of Viruses and a Beast.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kyzrati posted:

This is why going gung-ho is the equivalent of hard mode--it's intentionally more challenging. You're further handicapping yourself though because treads are not nearly as good as legs for fighting, which is why I think they need a boost of some kind.

I do like the idea of them affording even better protection than they already do, something that can possibly be given innately purely via stat tweaks--higher integrity, higher coverage and bam, you have big ol' shields.

One problem with that is that due to propulsion mechanics, treads can already be taken advantage of by fliers who carry them purely as high-integrity shields (in fact, even now as a ballistics-oriented flier you can carry a single spare tread and when you feel confident and want to engage, turn off your flight units and drop to the ground on your single tread to enjoy zero recoil).

It takes experience, but I can do a full combat build and lose almost no parts (that I care about) through -4. After that the odds starts to stack against you due to the missing branches and special parts, so it becomes increasingly difficult to get away unscathed. So far other players who've been learning since the beginning have successfully been fighting up to around -2 with combat builds.

I believe most parts are still optional, the only non-negotiable utilities being armor and targeting computers, which leaves you with a lot of room for other gear depending on your strategy, which will generally have to evolve over time. You can get around heat by just using ballistic weapons and launchers to reduce the number of must-have utilities at a given time. (Or go hybrid and one really good heat sink will usually be enough.) I rarely bother with EM-resistance--if you can find exits fast enough it won't matter much--or you can get lucky and double up when you find the right armor.

In my opinion the optimal tank build propulsion is legs, not treads. I always go for legs, unless I'm low on legs and there'll be a big fight, in which case treads have higher integrity so I like to attach them as shields, then run away on legs when it's over. Legs can hold plenty (and are still fast when overweight), and you'll move at least as fast as everything except Programmers and Swarmers. Try using legs more than treads, which are also harder to come by.

I do believe that higher coverage and integrity for treads is probably the way to go, but I wonder if I'd have to add a new mechanic to keep fliers from abusing them... Maybe not, since fliers really need to max out on their own propulsion to be effective, and end up spending every spare slot they can on support utilities to not get caught or hit. I'll look at tweaking all tread stats and we'll see what you can do :D

I've really had trouble trying to rely on ballistic weapons to any large extent. The return of matter versus use might need a little tweaking. It's real easy to drain yourself (even carrying around matter storage units) and you're in super desperate times once you do, very much more so than running low on energy. Any successful combat run I've had has been heavily beam centric with a lot of cooling. Although like I said earlier, my best heavy run has only been to -4.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
everything is a roguelike if you just wish hard enough

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

BurningBeard posted:

Based on a very limited time just watching someone else play it, I was put off by how fiddly the cards appeared to be. STS is quite simple, really. Where this, to me, looked a lot like complexity for complexity’s sake.

I have about 12 hours into it (enough to unlock all the classes) and I've been enjoying it so far. There's nine classes but it's basically three major classes with subvariants: kind of a warrior class that uses block and direct attacks, a summoner class, and an archer type that relies on barrier for defense and drawing a bunch of zero cost arrow cards.

I haven't found it fiddly at all, definitely not more so than STS. There are some card combos, but you kind of need that in a game like this. The max fiddliness seems to be on the level of, like, most Silent decks I ran in STS. The necromancer here is probably the most complex thing, but it's one of the last classes you unlock and builds on the mechanics of the basic summoner.

To give an example of the variants, the three warrior decks are:
Wyrdhunter: starting class (kind of sucks). Has block cards to negate damage, direct attacks, and charges up an ultimate that does a big hit.
Pathfinder: Relies more on block cards and has additional stance cards to create more block. Has a passive that makes him do more damage for every round he is entirely unhurt in combat. So you're really trying to turtle with him and keep that damage multiplier up.
Berserker: As you'd expect, kind of the opposite of the Pathfinder. Gets more energy (and so more attacks) when under 50% health. Charges up an ultimate based on getting hit, and the ultimate gives him lifesteal for a turn. So relies on keeping health low for higher damage until the ultimate is charged up and then healing via attacks.

I like the overworld stuff quite a bit, especially that there are quests that you can complete over the course of several runs that give additional NPCs in the town or other bonuses. You start in the town and return to it in between the bosses, and you can buy upgrades and stuff like more candles or health potions.

Kchama posted:

From my impression, there's really no point in empowering monoliths since that only clears the area around it and candles are more useful. Of course, you can just go without candles since the penalties aren't that big a deal and you get currency for fighting in the Wyrdness.

If I'm flush on candles (which isn't too tough post getting the Candlemaker in town) and the map is mostly unexplored, I'll empower the monolith. Having a bigger visual range can help a lot in spotting whether something is just a monster encounter or if it has a NPC or other reward behind it, especially if it's something on a path behind something else. The monolith range is pretty big.

Some of the candle penalty cards do really suck, so I try to keep it lit. I think the candle mechanic is mostly just there to put a soft timer on the level so at some point it's like "I have one candle left, better go after the boss" rather than feeling the need to hit every encounter on every path. And to thematically match the board game.

I don't know, I've been enjoying it. It's not some change the genre game, but I think it's fun if you like deckbuilders and unlocking stuff. Of course, my opinion may be helped since I got it for free after backing the board game, but to me it seems reasonably priced at $20 (and it was $18 on sale and I imagine it will be again)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, the theme and setting of Approaching Infinity really appeals to me but I got turned off by a review in this thread a while ago, so I'd love to hear more advocates for it if it's a lot better now.

Yeah, I've had this thing on my wishlist since last year sometime and the variance I see in reviews on it is wild. It's like people are playing two totally different games.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Any thoughts on/experience with Tangledeep (currently on a pretty good Steam sale price)?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Thanks! I'll definitely pick it up then, seems like a steal at this price.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Type o to autocomplain

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes? Don't ever move your mouse with your wrist, that's a rapidfire way to generate carpal tunnel. Manipulate fine movements with fingers, use elbow/shoulder for broad movements, same as you do when you're drawing. Keep your wrist as immobile as possible.

boy is this ever exactly how I don't use a mouse, I am all wrist all the time

reminds me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeTLWEOW7_Q

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jack Trades posted:

Fair enough.

Dungeonmans, Sproggiwood, Tangledeep?
Jupiter Hell is a classic roguelike that's easy to get into but not fantasy themed.

I might throw in Tales of Maj'Eyal, too. It has a lot of variety in the character classes and stuff but I always found the mechanics and UI pretty easy to navigate.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Turin Turambar posted:

*cough* (if you want a small class guide)

One thing I really liked about Streets of Rogue was being able to build my own class. I made a shapeshifter that didn't have the "everyone hates you" downside so I could basically walk right up to anyone and possess them as long as no one else saw me do it. I think I also made him Law aligned for the later levels. I had to take like every other negative perk to do it, but who cares if you're half sized or can't use a gun if you're never using your own body anyway? I should go back to that game someday.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

FishMcCool posted:

Hadn't played ToME in ages, like, since when ME stood for Middle Earth. Picked up ToME 4 in the sale (along with Rift Wizard and 868-Hack), and lol, there's some straight up noob-trap bullshit out the gates. My Bulwark dwarf was ez-moding the noob dungeon, then the lumberjack village with the cursed dude, and got handed over a quest in the first town to the graveyard 2 squares away on the map. Thought it was more beginner stuff, got one-shot by Celia the undead witch thingie, with something like 200 darkness damage. Was in default limited rez mode, but that didn't help: each rez had me one-shotted one turn later.

I must have missed a warning message somewhere telling me that I was out of my depth, but I guess you die and learn.

Yeah, Celia's one of those bosses that you learn not to attempt until you're pretty far along, despite getting the quest early.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does undermine have any type of cosmetic items or do you have to be bobs burgers for the entire game?

There's a mirror in the room to the left, and you can stand in front of it and re-randomize your appearance as many time as you like, so you can always be the lady or whatever. Aside from that there's not many cosmetics, there's a few things that will stick to you and there's crowns if you do the challenge mode runs.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Can be argued, but here's a guide: https://te4.org/wiki/Recommended_Zone_Order_Progression

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Samopsa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ6Gdd-pSPA
this is looking sick as gently caress

poo poo, I have to finish like three games before October 26 when this hits EA and consumes my life again

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Samopsa posted:

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1453029406528577538?s=20

Darkest Dungeon 2 Early Access is out on the epic store. You can sign up for a newsletter (and directly cancel it) for a 10 bucks off coupon if you want to grab it.

Thanks for the heads up on the newsletter coupon! I was going to pick it up regardless, so I will definitely take ten bucks off.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How are the wagon controls? Really don't want to hook up a controller , but I loved the forst Darkest Dungeon, even if I never beat it.

The wagon controls are just WASD, you don't need a controller. It steers terribly, like a boat, but I think it's supposed to so that you miss some of the road debris you could be picking up.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Urtuk: The Desolation - i think this one might already be kind of a hit in the thread but I wanted to write about it in case people don't know.

Urtuk is a roguelike tactical squad based game, like if battle brothers was more fun and not made by racists. Or Xcom if everyone was hideous. Or Dark Messiah of Might & Magic if it was a hex based game.

I wasn't aware of this one and it sounds like extremely my poo poo, so thanks for the review!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

goferchan posted:

Rogue Legacy 2 is getting like 9s and 10s from big press outlets. Wonder if this is just a case of a disconnect between more mainstream tastes and the enthusiasts in this thread, or if it really is a massive improvement on the original formula. Nobody's impressions they've posted here so far sound totally glowing, even if they aren't bad

It's overall Very Positive reviews on Steam with recent reviews being Overwhelmingly Positive, so the general public who are playing it seem to like it.

I didn't get very far in the first one because I kind of suck at platform combat but I'll probably grab it whenever it goes on sale.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 28, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kawabata posted:

I can't quite grasp how impossibly loving stupid True Enoch is in Rogue Legacy 2.

Like I've got plat in Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring but this trainwreck of a boss has so much unavoidable damage that it makes me want to throw my joypad at the wall. Is it supposed to be this hard? Should I stop playing roguelikes right after work? :( Though overall RL2 feels like an excellent roguelite so far, one of the best in ages.

I had a lot more trouble with his first phase than with True Enoch. Like the main issue for me was getting there with at least some health left cause I know I'm not going to dodge every explosion. The big thing to figure out for me was riding on top of him with dashes and downstrikes when he does the big run back and forth move. The part where he's just jumping back and forth over the player opens him up to take a lot of damage.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jack Trades posted:

I played the demo for
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1888430/10_Minutes_Till_Dawn/
and one thing I really enjoyed about it and games like Vampire Survivors is the ability to make varied and absolutely ridiculously strong builds.

Are there any other roguelites that allow you to do the same thing that aren't card games (played practically all of them to death already) or Binding of Isaac (cause gently caress that game)?
The part where I get rewarded for figuring out good synergies tickles my brain good like.

Noita lets you make absolutely sick filthy combo wands once you get a handle on the wandmaking stuff

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

precision posted:

yeah and also i think the main thing to realize is that, if you can quickly clear zone 1 for example, then the rewards for doing so as opposed to just starting on zone 2 are legitimately minimal

like, i know that OCD demands picking up All The Things, and that it doesn't feel like you're doing a "full run" if you leave items on the table, but i think what i want to get across is that, for real, if you're not having fun clearing the easy zones you definitely don't have to

i don't think i'm especially good at the game in general (i mean, i'm good at the platforming, so i'm good with the Bard, but in general i'm not amazing at video game) but right now i'm on Zone 4 and having tried runs where i clear 1 and 2 and runs where i just start with zone 3 or 4, there is actually not much appreciable difference. certainly not enough difference that you would do zone 1 and 2 even if doing so is not fun

best thing IMO is to do as suggested and use old zones as ways to heal up

Yeah I beat the game and NG+1 and pretty much all I ever did was fight my way in whatever current zone I was in to the throne (if I didn't die to something dumb on the way), and then if I needed healing or wanted to grab a relic, I'd warp back to the first area, grab one of the guaranteed relic rooms there, kill stuff until I got enough wall chicken to be mostly healed, and then go fight the boss. And if I felt I really didn't need to grind anymore and just wanted to learn boss patterns, lock it and just keep teleporting to the boss until I got a handle on it. I sure as hell wasn't clearing the first area every time, that seems like an enormous waste of time to me, no matter how many extra fruit rooms you happen to find. I dunno, maybe on like NG+8 or something you need to squeak out every scrap of advantage you can find, but I'm not going that high.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

IronicDongz posted:

They would have the exact same value that they currently do, which is "you get X more relic spawns to try and put together your build".

Relics really aren't as significant of a factor as fruit. It's an advantage but somewhat mitigated by resolve, where fruit rooms just give you a substantial amount of extra HP in exchange for full clearing earlier content.

Yes, that's a good thing.
If the alternative is just as easy but you need to waste a bunch of your time, it should be skipped.

Like, do you think that just "spending time ingame" is something that should be rewarded, regardless of whether the player is doing content that is challenging or fun? Do you think boring strategies should be mechanically rewarded?

Here's the problem in my eyes:

The game is currently not balanced for you to have every bonus from the previous zones. Most people beating it are not doing what you are doing (at least judging from my own play and people I see streaming online). If they do what you suggest -- which is effectively just giving you a permanent bonus -- then they'd likely have made the later zones/bosses harder to compensate. And so they might as well not give you the bonus at all, keep the current difficulty level, and just lock out a zone once you beat it to eliminate the temptation to go back and collect earlier heirlooms. But that seems even less fun.

What you've got right now is player choice. If you want to be overpowered, yes, you can go back and clear the earlier zones during a run. If you want to save your time and think you are good enough at the game, you don't have to do that. This kind of seems like a you problem in that you feel compelled to do it, where most people can either take it or leave it depending on how hard they are finding the subsequent zones. I like the ability to do it if I want, but I never felt like I had to.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kaddish posted:

Ok, so I am genuinely curious here. How many people in this thread feel compelled to go back and get all the previous fruits/whatever from previous levels for each run?

It never even occurred to me to try and do this. I think I said it earlier, but my method was to run whatever current zone I was in up to the boss, and then if I needed to heal or hadn't found any relics at all, I'd might pop back to the early areas to heal up and maybe pick up a relic from the one room I know would always be there in zone 1. Going fruit collecting was never even a strat I thought of. If I was too weak for a boss, I might do some gold farming runs, but I'd never go back to the first area for that because the gold there is a pittance.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Interested in thoughts if anyone tries out My Master's a Moron.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

IronicDongz posted:

I haven't really heard anyone say that RL2 is bad

There's a couple of obsessed people who keep screaming "ITS BAD AND YOU HAVE TO BE A MASOCHIST TO LIKE IT" in the Steam thread, but aside from that it's been pretty well received.

I liked it a lot although I haven't really felt the need to try and go past NG+2

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://ithiro.itch.io/devil-spire/devlog/396163/the-immersive-update Devil Spire surging back in a first of apparently Some Updates yet to come for hopefully greater impact, also on Steam as it buckles under Sales Weight.

Have you tried this and is it any good? Kinda looks like something that would be up my alley.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

icantfindaname posted:

Just beat Nethack for the first time, *checks alt.org logs* 14 years after playing an online game first. Well, I didn’t play at all for 10 of those years, but dang

First ascension as a tourist, that's good stuff. I think my first was a Valk. I need to pick up Nethack again, I still think it's one of my favorites and I haven't tried a run in a long time.

I know people complain about Nethack since you pretty much need a few spoilers in order to figure out how to win, but there's something I find rewarding in the basic structure of it and how you know certain unique things are going to come up at certain times in your run that you need to be prepared for in one way or another.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

verbal enema posted:

play more Caves of Qud

all of you

it's very good