Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ashenai posted:

I'm still bitter about the one time I got awesome limbs and then Ischaldirh showed up on level 2 of the dungeon.
Unlike most roguelikes, this might actually be a direct cause:effect relationship. Having better stats/gear/etc will make more difficult things spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commercial roguelike? Why would I want to-

Alehkhs posted:

Kornel Kisielewicz (DoomRL, DiabloRL, AliensRL):

"the spiritual successor to Doom, the Roguelike."
:getin:
:getin:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I like the one "Lilli the neutral giant mushroom" in there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

So I like RogueLikes but I hate fantasy and slashy magicky things. I love DoomRL and AliensRL and Trascendance, but is there anything else out there that I would enjoy?
Caves of Qud is post-apocalyptic, but it has wacky mutations like shooting fire and switching bodies. Does that count?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

They get better stats and gear, so they're stronger if you're not using mutations much, I guess?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vincent Valentine posted:

DOTE is super empty at the moment but it has everything there already to magive it a great deal of potential. The only thing that really bugs me about it is the fact that it's only planned to have 12 levels, which seems..short for "endless"
It's because it's a spinoff of Endless Space.

Which seems to refer to the vanished precursor race named the "Endless" instead of any actual feature of the Space in question, if my memory isn't lying to me again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

These are not good tiles. I hope there's a grid overlay, because I have no idea what squares are being occupied by what in this screenshot.
Especially the grizzly bear.

You know something you'd want to know EXACTLY how far away from you are.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nephilm posted:

One Way Heroics is out on steam, for anyone who hadn't heard of it.
I do not seem to have a key in the Indie Royale bundle I got it in yet though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

IVAN doesn't really count. You're not being screwed by the RNG, you're being screwed by the game being designed to screw you at every turn.
Literally: There was a period where the original developer considered somebody winning the game a bug, as I recall.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How well does the autoexplore do things efficiently since ADOM has a hunger system?

Or do things like open doors diagonally because of the trap which hits directly in front of the door?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The golem in TOME is mostly good for being a "meat"shield to hide behind while you chuck alchemical bombs at everything in sight, though.

You'll also either need to cheat a little or play something else to unlock the classes that aren't Alchemist, since TOME has an unlock system going on.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Glidergun posted:

Moving over to the link that describes Extended's new roles, there's a lot of typical "lol pop culter!" characters (Jedi, Pokemon, Death Eaters), and then there's...

:shepicide:
... um. ok then.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Glidergun posted:

Yeah, Nethack always had a "lol pup culter!" element, it's just one of the things nerds do. I was mostly trying to distinguish "hey guys, let's be a Navi" from "hey guys, this dude has to wear high heels lol"
SLASH'EM put in a lot more of that, though, and apparently Super Lotsa Added Stuff Hack, Extended Magic, Extended Edition thought that wasn't enough.

Also "model class that has to wear high heels" poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I like the idea of a game that has lots of hidden nooks and crannies. It'd keep the players guessing and help make the world feel bigger than it actually is. But I'd personally have trouble justifying expending the energy on them as opposed to the more readily-accessible content. Plus most players would probably just end up reading spoilers anyway. :arghfist::(
In the case of ADOM I don't think you're realistically able to find out about it without spoilers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Ultra endings specifically would involve enormous amounts of trial and error and trying random poo poo to figure out purely from in-game stuff. I think it requires you to do some incredibly unintuitive stuff to get all the bits you need, and what few hints there are about how to use them properly are cryptic as gently caress.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure that involved a lot of collaborating and creaking open the game code to look at text strings and such, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

I have absolutely nothing to do this coming weekend, and I figured it would be a good time to try TOME. What's the easiest class to start with that isn't a run-of-the-mill warrior? Monsters are gooey and I don't want to facehug them constantly.

Alchemist is unlocked from the start, right? Those are ranged and pretty powerful.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doesn't the overworld not corrupt you until time gets really far in?

It still advances the clock quite a bit without seven league boots so when you do go somewhere corruptive it hits you harder, of course.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haven't tried a Bard yet, but given how rare recruitable NPCs are,
I think you can recruit one of the guards in the starting castle.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

alansmithee posted:

Also, does anyone remember an old roguelike named "Ragnarok"? I believe it only had a tile system, and took a bunch of stuff from Norse myths. Was the first I played before I knew what they really were. I'd love an updated version just because there was all sorts of cool stuff in there.
Yep. Nothing like using a scroll of switch bodies to jack the body of the most powerful normal monster type in the game and then go on a murder-rampage.

Or genociding all the undead you can except wraiths before setting foot in the undead-filled zone. Because for some reason eating them increased your toughness. Or was it level? One of the two.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Some of the undead enemies were really annoying, though, so why not just write yourself up a pile of genocide scrolls and erase them all?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I was talking about the crypt specifically there. But yeah, Archmages are something you need to get rid of.

It would be nice if there was something to do other than "hand over artifacts, sit down and twiddle your thumbs until everything resolves" for the final battle.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RickVoid posted:

So, Ragnarok. Decided to try the whole alchemist mixing potions thing.

I don't have legs anymore.

And therefore I can't walk or otherwise move, apparently.
Yeah, don't go trying to mix potions you don't know the recipe for.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh. Oh, yeah, if it's literally the first thing you do, nothing lost.

And "left"? You can get more of each in various ways. (Handy if you want to wear more rings, for one thing.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Edwhirl posted:

A blessed potion of curing will regrow lost legs.
Blessed potions of curing fix a lot of thigns in Ragnarok/Valhalla.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kavros posted:

My favorite roguelike is Dungeon Crawl and the only thing I don't like about it is the handling of hunger levels (so much so that I usually play mummy now just to be done with eating).

I recently found Dungeons of Dredmor and though it is a real generally simple offering I really enjoy the "class" creation system of mix and match seven skill trees.

What other things should I be trying?

TOME.

Less because it's like Dreadmor (although there is an option to just grab whatever skill trees you want from any class once you've beaten the game once) and more because it doesn't have a hunger system.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm not familiar with DoomRL's level messages these days, but that doesn't sound good. :staredog:

What's that all mean?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

(Re: autoexplore, it would be utterly lethal in Angband, which requires you to take active, not-realistically-automatable steps to ensure you aren't walking into an ambush)
Aren't levels in Angband also huge? Sounds like it's kind of a chore to play.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How many roguelikes do in fact have the "never go back" thing? I don't think most of the old descendants of Rogue actually have the "always down until it's time to escape with the quest item". In Nethack, you can always retrace your steps back to the entrance (barring monsters in the way or obstacles you can't pass that appeared somehow after you traversed the area the first time) and just walk out or whatever. ADOM has a couple of timers ticking, but barring the same issues you can still go back to the entrance to the Draklor Chain any time you want (if you have enough food).

That criteria eliminates an enormous amount of roguelikes, really.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

A 32bit Windows running in a virtual machine is the only way as far as I know. In theory Windows 3.1 can run in DosBox but I can't comment on how well.
I remember trying the 3.1 in Dosbox way a while back and it worked pretty well. Once I jumped through hoops to gt it set up, anyway.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

It sounds like I'm doing something at least somewhat unique then.

Now I just need to think of a theme. :negative:
Robots.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

And ADOM has a spell which you can easily cast out of a book so you never run out that massively increases your weight capacity to the point you can basically carry everything you care about even the slightest forever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hand of luke posted:

Yeah, I thought about splitting it into something like "Time clones" and "Alternate dimension clones," but that seemed less cool.
I suggest calling the friendly faction just "You". You're you, and so is that guy you summoned with time powers over there.

EDIT: And possibly other means if you introduce them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Goodchild posted:

I've gotten my first ToME character to the end game but something is throwing a spanner into my progress. My Heal Mod is dropping lower and lower for seemingly no reason. I've already gotten rid of the Unearthly black stone, I thought that'd be the end of it. It fixed it for a couple dungeons but now its plummetted to 61% and I can strip naked and tell it's not any of my worn gear. Can anyone shed light on this?

I'm a Cursed
Crank your Hate up to max and then check it again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Edwhirl posted:

Subverting the game and not playing by its rules was a giant part of it.

I remember getting a bunch of I think either glass shards or banana peals, and then deploying food for the sumo wrestler to eat, until one of his legs fell off.

then I challenged him to a match and easily won. easy belt of levitation.
Probably broken bottles, I think the banana peels would have him damage random body parts and might kill him.

Also I will have to remember that the next time I feel like playing the game, I could never figure out how to reliably beat him.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I'm pretty sure One Way Heroics has been cheaper and the summer sale isn't far off. But it's not like cheaper than a buck 18 is going to affect your wallet much.
Enhanced Steam says it's been down to 87 cents.

Apparently there's a "Plus" version now too? (But it's not on steam yet) Whoops I wasn't done reading the thread.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 24, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

It's really a shame that screenshots of the game make it look like some crappy rpg maker bullshit.
I thought it was made with an RPG Maker competitor?

Which apparently is much better at making unusual gameplay so I kinda wish it was available in english.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i liked diablo 2

i do not like universal / non-class-restricted skills, or skills dropping as loot, or no common currency, or always-online authentication, or how zoomed in the camera is with no way to pull it back, or how grey it is

i guess in theory i might like a skill tree you need a PHD to understand because complex optimization sperging is my jam, but the fact that it's all passives makes it a lot less interesting than it otherwise would have been
I recall some of them being pretty game-changing passives but you needed toe wade through a goddamn sea of "+10 health" and "+2 to dexterity" and "+4 to Purple resistance" to get there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

victrix posted:

This is one reason I'm a fan of horizontal power over vertical - more choices, more abilities, vs 'bigger numbers lol'.

You can see the endgame of the latter with WoWs stat crunch - the numbers got so big they had to shrink them down to something readable, and the hilarious thing is there's no difference in the way any of your abilities function, it's an entirely psychological thing.
:eng101: Actually, the numbers were getting so big they had to have the final boss of Pandaria heal himself to full partway through because giving him enough health to make the fight last as long as they wanted would've outstripped the maximum health allocated for monsters and all the really, really big numbers were adding up and causing a signifigant amount of load just through combat math.

Them being unreadably big was also a concern but it was also a technical issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wow, really? I wonder if they also imported the big boss-ending bugs in the old Final Fantasies that pulled this trick when bosses couldn't have more than 65535 health, viz. being able to bring them to near-death by overhealing them, or having script glitches that allowed you to skip the healing trigger and thus beat the boss in half the time.

C'mon, guys, in this day and age you should not be running into the limits of your numerical precision.
Google gives me an estimate of about 4398.1 million HP for Garrosh, counting healing multiple times.

A bit over four billion hitpoints.