Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Been putting time into Spelunky lately; what the hell was this shopkeeper doing holding a helping hand? I thought he was dead but he was just standing there holding him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Last time I played World of Horror you couldn't even hit ghosts anymore, I guess you're supposed to use spells, play the clap bow game, or run? Anyway, I doubt the combat is ever actually going to be fun in this game but the combat music and art is all terrific so it's fine

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I tried out Dead Estate since it kept popping up on my steam queue and had overwhelmingly positive reviews and...I don't feel like I get it. It has some nice pixel art and stuff but the gameplay felt really simple in an unsatisfying way. I only got a couple runs in (didn't make it too far, mostly just to or near the boss of the second floor) and refunded it since Endwalker has been eating all my time.

Has anyone else checked it out, does it get better? Nothing about it seemed particularly unique or interesting but the amount of praise it got has me wondering if I'm missing something.

Nah I'm in the same boat. I like the art style but the perspective is detrimental to a game that wants you to kite/dodge like it's Binding of Isaac. I did a few runs with both of the starting characters and one run with the melee only character and determined I was never going to be interested in playing it again, so I refunded.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

goferchan posted:

edit: Oh have you tried Spirits Abyss? It's a side scroller not top-down, and it's probably got more in common with Spelunky than any of the other games you mentioned, but it's a lot of fun and a steal for the $5 they're charging for it. Another one that may have slipped under your radar is The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, it's seemingly one of those perpetually early access games but what exists now is very much a full package

Picked this up since you mentioned it and I am a Spelunky enjoyer. I like Spirits Abyss a lot. The first few levels can usually kill you real easily but if you get past a few of those and get some damage/life going it feels like it's not hard to go far, though I haven't killed the final (?) boss yet. I've unlocked most of the characters and they're mostly fun. Most of my runs I feel like I have more money than I know what to do with. I think I may have unlocked some kind of endless mode so I'll check that out tomorrow. There's also a card game in there. The game really is a steal for $5 if you like platformers.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed Synthetik a lot but I gave up on playing it since either I or my friend would crash before ending a co-op run. That was over a year ago and since then we've both gotten new PCs and I assume the game has been patched a few times so we should probably give it another go.

I've been plugging away at Rift Wizard lately and I'm getting to rift 20+ consistently but have not been able to clear the last few insanely tough rifts. I'm gonna get u Mordred :mad:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

RoboCicero posted:

I'll have to give it another shot! I played as the binder(?) weaver guy and cleared a couple rooms without really feeling it. Maybe because I never got anything other than my starting three abilities?

Yeah your priorites when selecting which room to go to based on reward should be:

1. Binding (ability) upgrades. These are extremely impactful and can mutate your basic abilities into stomping machines depending on what else you get.
2. Money. You can use this to buy more binding upgrades or trinkets.
3. Trinkets. I forget the in game name for these but these items can let you stack your preferred damage type or crit, or give you utility like +1 action point per turn.

At the start of the run and before each boss fight you can select a new ability, but you can only hold a total of 5. In my experience you never NEED anything other than your base kit, but the Blink ability becomes completely busted with upgrades, giving you a ton of movement, reducing cooldowns when you use it, and resetting cooldown on kill. It feeds into itself when fully upgraded and enables you to use your other abilities way more.

I'm looking forward to playing way more Inkbound once it's open to the public again.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Wasn't interesed in Astronarch based on the art and animations, but tried it since it's only $1. The itemization and positioning mechanics are definitely fun, and an autobattler like this is perfect for when I want to play something but not have to spend a ton of focus on it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Continuing to blur those already blurry lines between Vampire Survivors'ish bullet heavenry and Roguelike-aspected ARPG doings on Perseus: Titan Slayer:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2003050/view/3647390066626944857

I put 90 minutes into this at launch and refunded. Felt like a jankier version of Hades. I tried building offensively and defensively and always felt like I was under tons of pressure from mob and projectile spam, same vibe I get in Soulstone Survivors but I was not nearly as powerful in Perseus. It looks kind of cool but I didn't have fun for most of my playtime.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://store.steampowered.com/app/811320/Jupiter_Hell/

Just got a wishlist notification, -50% off, $12.49 USD.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
My best shroom OD gave me sand -> ambrosia

naturally, i died to polymorph

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Veryslightlymad posted:

:hmmyes:

Are roguelikes the sandwiches of video games?

Truly, rogue likes are the dark soulses of video games

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1835240/Spiritfall/

Just opened Early Access. $16.19 USD. "Platform Fighter...Roguelite" Gonna give it a go later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Kg75DCefs&t=42s

Recent no commentary video.

e: Watching the video I'm wondering why I'd play this over Dead Cells or Skul. The first boss had no platforms at all.

e2: After one run, I think I like what the game is doing enough to keep it. Elites/bosses have stun bars you need to break before you can start juggling them, but you can defintiely smack them around. You can also smack projectiles around, and there's hazards on some stages you can knock enemies into.

Because of the combat and the power up system I think the game feels like Smash Bros + Hades. Not sure if there's going to be a lot of build diversity but in this clip my bolt was mutated into a flamethrower, I got an extra dive kick attack that applied a dot, and my normal attacks and launcher also had god-asocciated power ups. I rebound dodge from RT to B since my Dead Cells muscle memory was loving me up.

https://i.imgur.com/qI0yjJI.mp4

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 3, 2023

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
OK sometimes it's literally just Smash Bros

https://i.imgur.com/6Nuiscr.mp4

I'm having fun though! 3 weapons, Hades style meta progression between runs, unlocking new features that will appear on the map, etc.

Smash Bros should absolutely rip this off for adventure mode.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Looks like it might be pretty good once it's out of early access

It does seem pretty short. First clear took me 20 minutes. Gonna pop back in here and there and look forward to checking it out as more content is released.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

The dev has stated he was inspired by MGS 5 and Spelunky. There's also a bit of X-com base building and culling hordes of rookies with lovely perks until a few stand outs level up.

It's definitely very Spelunky because you WILL die to multiple goofy interactions as you learn what all the various hats do.

Reposting my videos from the Steam thread:

https://i.imgur.com/NNYLOfa.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/UKW8Ekm.mp4

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

Also the (forced) presentation of the story/world is some pretty serious whiplash from Monster Train, which was whimsical and had some kinda cute backstory floating around the margins if you chose to engage with it. Here you're spam clicking through someone's extremely detailed efforts to create a very detailed D&D world for a children's coloring book world. It's just so :psyduck:

I think they were going for a Hades style thing but they forgot to make any of the characters horny interesting or likeable.

I played last beta and I still like the game. The meta shift of constantly taking some sort of chip damage means I have to actually budget for sustain sometimes instead of just making sure I never end my turn in a telegraph.

Playing with randoms is defintiely hit or miss. You have no idea what everyone else is thinking. Personally I prefer to always try to hit 250 gold so I can buy a bonus augment when the node appears but other players only want to open trinket boxes.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 28, 2023

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I had seen OTXO around but wrote it off because of the black and white art style.

Raycevik made one of his usual 40 minute videos about it and I'm sold. I feel bad for sleeping on it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-viUOi9RywE

Game goes pretty hard, here's one level's worth of gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-NVVy1nKis

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I love Achra but I keep rushing into mobs that counter my build instead of stopping to think even a little bit

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
RoRR is fun but it's pretty difficult. Don't feel bad about playing on Drizzle to get some unlocks. I've been having fun both solo and with friends. What I'm most looking forward to is the mod support.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

As someone who has played uh... dunno.. 500 hours? of classic Doom, I prefer much, much more Gunfire Reborn over Roboquest.

Has Doom Infinite been brought up in this thread already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEIDEsTIowA

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-infinite

It's still in its "demo" phase with a lot of rough edges such as me soft locking a 25 map challenge run by blinking out of map bounds and not being able to get back in, but it's a very fun Binding of Isaac + Risk of Rain style take on DOOM. Before every map you go to a hub world where you get a guaranteed passive or active item, and some random map pieces are put behind doors with various traps, challenges, and rewards inside. Eventually you can also unlock a shop here.

When you're done getting whatever advantages (or losing your hp to mobs and traps) you can from the hub world, you enter the central portal to run a randomly picked map from DOOM 1 (DOOM 2 maps to be added are being polled right now in the mod's discord). When you're in the proper DOOM maps you begin scaling your "curse" level over time like in Risk of Rain. You cannot leave the level until you have farmed a scaling amount of souls (points) from the randomly spawning mobs inside the map. After you've farmed enough souls to leave you can farm more to spend in the hub at the shop or to unlock special challenge rooms with a guaranteed reward. Powerups are also randomly spawned while you play the level, letting you get important items like soulspheres to go over your hp cap or backpacks because you will need a lot of ammo. There are also secret switches hidden behind visible cracks in the walls in each map that can get you powerful rewards. In normal difficulty there are waypoints that guide you on how to progress in each map, which is especially helpful in some of the confusing teleport heavy maps. The maps themselves can change lighting, weather effects, and floor hazards to mix things up between runs. At high curse levels the weather effects can start to feel overbearing, which gives the night vision goggles more value but isn't that fun imo.

There's a weapon modding system. When you are going through maps you will occasionally find mod packs, especially in secret switch rooms. Pressing M opens the weapon modding menu where you can add damage, attack speed, shot count, increase or reduce spread, change ammo type, shooting type, and various alternate fire modes. These cost different amounts of mod packs depending on what you're changing. You can find modified weapons as drops spawned in the maps or dropped from mobs.

As an example, here's an atomic rocket launcher I nearly ended my life with in one shot despite having almost 800 hp:

https://i.imgur.com/yCrx4Kv.mp4

The mod also reminds me of Noita in that the power scaling goes from struggling to survive, to a fun level of challenge while my power is ramping up, to I am an untouchable god that nukes entire rooms instantly without regard of what's inside.

https://i.imgur.com/7bLVmsR.mp4

There are lots of passive items, and a decent amount of active items. Some passives feel anti-synergistic, like strontium-90 and keenhead, where taking both could drastically reduce your hp and start draining your hp over time:

As a counter example, I had a great run with Flesh Armor and Lifelink Cathode, allowing me to convert all armor pickups into overhealth and buffing my attack power with the increased hp:

If you do decide to play, make sure you check out the "Config Help" menu, there is a nerdy imp that will tell you what settings you should change for the intended experience. In the options menu you can search by text to make finding all of these settings easier. Also, you can bind a key to jump which I hadn't been doing for the last 15 hours, but probably would have drastically changed some of my runs.

Once you get super powerful the game becomes waiting for monsters to spawn just so you can farm enough poitns to leave the level. There's currently no way to "beat" a run, but there is a sacrifice room in the hub where you can end your run and get a little power up for the next run. Right now these powerups are underwhelming and the mod dev in discord has said they are overhauling that system for the next update. Overall, it's an interesting and fun take on DOOM and what's currently there has been fun enough for me to play for 15 hours thus far. I'll probably keep playing it here and there when I feel like blasting some demons and running really fast.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 6, 2023

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

The beta for Tiny Rogues got a substantial performance-improvement patch earlier today, and now the game actually runs at 144 fps (or your preferred framerate). Dozens of bugs have been discovered and fixed, so now is actually a decent time to try the beta if you want to see it before the official release in a couple weeks.

I installed the Tiny Rogues beta recently, I'm having a great time with it. Getting hit a lot though so my bottleneck is hp/skill. That being said, the vastly increased amount of build options have been a lot of fun to play with. I've been giving dice a high priority as well as selecting them as my gift to make sure I hit some kind of synergy. Seems like the amount of dice you get from any dice related reward was increased as well.

Kinda bummed that I wasn't allowed past Death after pushing my aura radius to cover the entire screen, but I'm sure that'll happen again at some point.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
New Tiny Rogues BETA has all classes unlocked for testing.

That is a lot of classes! Only tried the super hero so far and being able to start with +5 armor makes things a lot easier once you find a real weapon.

Here's some of the other super perks that only this class can roll as their first selection. Not sure if this is all of them because I ran out of dice.

This update is so fun and it doesn't even have metaprog yet, looking forward to seeing the finished product and grinding out all these unlocks on full release.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's less complicated than you'd think. Once you unlock Floor 11 (beat Death 5 times), you'll see 3 gates, each of which will send you to a different version of Floor 11. To get to Floor 12, you need 4 or better in the corresponding alignment, or else your run ends at the end of Floor 11.

You can get alignment from gear, once from the Purging Curse vendor, once from the Dice vendor, and once from the Black Market, and from certain special events. The primary way of getting alignment is buying items at the soul shops that occasionally spawn after boss fights (which unlock once you go to that alignment's version of Floor 11).

This system will likely get expanded in the future but that's for 0.3 or later.

Basically you need to clear all of the post death levels (abyss, heaven, hell) to unlock all of the soul shops to actually get alignment. Once you do that on future runs you should be able to get enough alignment to get to the real final bosses in each of the post death levels.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
If you haven't tried Tiny Rogues on controller, you may be interested to know that it enables aim assist. There's a slider you can crank all the way up. This lets you focus more on dodging but there are some boss fights where locking onto an add instead of the boss might make you take longer to get the kill.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Once you hit the tier 3 cinders you can start taking a bag of dice into each run. I also highly prioritize getting dice rewards. Other than that most of my successful builds focus on attack speed then some other way of scaling like crits, cast on crit, crushing hits, DoTs, etc.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

King of Bleh posted:

I, too, grew tired of being perplexed by all the completely opaque discourse and bewildering screenshots of Achra and bought it. Game good; really scratches the same Rift Wizard "pore over skill trees for 10 minutes and ponder" itch.

The dev posts in r/roguelikes sometimes and it's nice to see their perspective.

(This post was from a thread about Path of Achra being "tactically thin" https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/19e224e/thoughts_on_path_of_achra/kjd7drf/?context=3 )

Knowing the game was born out of "I want to play a DCSS MiBE but like rift wizard" tickles me.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Tarnished Blood

From one trailer view the vibe I get is "Your Only Move is Hustle + Phantom Brigade + Fear & Hunger" which is...worth trying out the demo for I guess.

e: It's definitely interesting but I do not have the patientce for a turn based timeline game right now.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 31, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

Intriguing description but the sexual content combined with the dark fantasy setting is a little concerning. It's rare a game can really pull it off like e.g., Fear & Hunger.

I don't know if I'd even describe this as a roguelite though -- seems to be a hybrid (as you said) of roguelite and RPG, kind of like Darkest Dungeon.

The tutorial/first boss in the one run I started was a giant rat thing with breasts. I didn't even notice the breasts at first FWIW but it's certainly grotesque.

As for the non combat part of the run, the walls of text were so thick I ended up not reading them.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Been a few beyond a decade, but KeeperRL has finally arrived at v1.0 with aims for a good future beyond it:

I haven't finished the tutorial yet but I have already killed a child with a club, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it's probably a good game.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Serephina posted:

I'm a philistine who doesn't buy much if it's not on Steam. So I've heard about this Slice 'n Dice game, but never played it. I hate deckbuilders and the like, but curious expedition's die rolls didn't bother me, so would this be a good fit? Is there more than just combat?

The game is absolutely not a deckbuilder. Slice and Dice is all combat and decision making. Making the best of the dice you're dealt, maybe taking the risk of trying to roll them into something better. Thinking about how you can possibly use all your tools to get through each encounter while trying to keep all your dudes from dying. Deciding which party member to upgrade and which upgrade to give them, which items will synergize with what you've got going on. It is terrific in its simplicity.

Here's a random recording from a streamer that I like who is good at describing his thought processes. The music on stream is not from the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KYVZ2Zeowk

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Exotic slime pet filled the map while I waited for this Troubler to teleport to somewhere I can hit it with fireball.

Doesn't help that I keep stunning it with the Time Pipe trinket.

e: Spent my SP and tried to use Flame Gate to summon Fire Elementals with Boiling Blood, but I guess Fire Elementals can't fly because they wouldn't spawn in the void, and there are no land squares left thanks to the slime. Got impatient and used my Orb of Corruption, and now I'm stuck with 3 Burning Gnomes that take no damage from my slimes because they're immune to fire.

Can't teleport now that slimes have filled the map, not that I would have been able to do anything from the few spaces I could tp too. Softlocked!

RIP exotic Blood Bear Lich run, you were amazing.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

That's nice. What's a trigger type?

My first successful dude was based on things proccing "on step." You might build on attacks, on summons appearing, on summons dying, on standing still, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

I really want to like Ravenswatch but the lack of i-frames on dodge and the HP scaling/amount of mobs makes it feel like it's basically not intended for solo-play.

I got frustrated with a random team not sticking together this morning so I decided to play solo. Now that I know how things work it feels much easier solo since I don't have to worry about team cohesion and focus firing. Things just get stunned and die. Maybe Gepetto is just stupidly good for soloing and this won't hold up in higher difficulties, but I was pretty effortlessly rolling over everything by mid Act 2. I built pretty tanky since I spend a lot of time trying to melee blob with my boys. Fortunately there's an item that gives damage based on your vitality.

Made some clips since I was having fun.

Pulling and blasting a bunch of gargoyles in Act 3:
https://i.imgur.com/gTKz3SP.mp4

Was able to clear two tumors off the map so the final boss only had 60% hp, which I was able to burn down in about 24 seconds:
https://i.imgur.com/Ihp61nH.mp4