Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So, while I keep looking for a mint copy of Victory Roads, what are the thread's recommendations for full ETO games?

A note here is that chrome/historical cruft, as well as aesthetically pleasing maps and counters are pretty important for the desired group experience: WiF has a plenty of chrome and the rules don't seem impenetrable, but I don't know if I wanted to pay money for a map that ugly. UncSur seems interesting, but I am worried it might skimp on the chrome. Are there any all-ETO games as pretty as VR?

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

tomdidiot posted:

VR is still in print at the publisher.

The idea of a big wargame being in print seemed so outrageous I never checked! This'll be the first time I actually buy one first hand...

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 13, 2016

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Obfuscation posted:

Hexasim actually reprints their stuff whenever they run out. Amazing, isn't it.

Well, I guess I could get both Roads games and just play the ETO that way...

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

As a related question, which size Oregon Lamination tool would people recommend for 0.5 inch counters: 2, 2.5 or 3 mm?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So, my Oregon Lamentations clipper arrived, but after a few trials it seemed like it had a manufacturing error: every once in a while it would clip off a chunk of the side of the counter along with the corner. As I reached for the box to work on my return options, a nut fell out. Apparently it had come off in shipping and without it the torque was misaligned and tearing slippage would occur. With both nuts securely fastened it seems to work perfectly.

So remember to always check your nuts. It only cost me a Distant Plain terror counter, but it could cost you everything.

Edit: does AH's Advanced Civilization count as a wargame? It's got counters and genocide...

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Trynant posted:

It counts as much as Virgin Queen and Here I Stand do. Take that for what you will.

So has anyone tried the Mega Civilization reprint? Not that I'll ever play with 17 other folks, but I wonder how the changes, new map and new techs would play for 5-6.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

Unconditional Surrender looks cool, but I prefer my grand hex-counter games with soul-crushing numbers of counters.

Shame about the map, too.

Some of those impassable hexes seem pretty bizarre. Southern Sweden is a trackless hellscape to rival the Sahara? One half of the Peloponnese? But I CAN butt my way through the Pripet marshes as I please?

I wonder if it would work to play US on the Totaler Krieg map...

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

On a different track, has anyone tried Balance of Powers?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

What's the scope/scale/salient features of SCS compared to the other *CS's?

Is the OCS Blitzkrieg Legend connected to the book of the same name and its thesis (that Germany had no coherent doctrine guiding the 1940 campaign)?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks!

I was reading through the thread and saw the mention of the "TSWW" series ("The Second World War" - no hubris there...) which is apparently supposed to be the Europa System of the 21st century only this series is totally not going to flame out you guys?

So I had a look at a review of TSWW: Blitzkrieg:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/573966/first-look-tsww-blitzkrieg/page/1

And apparently the game designer decided to weigh in, and then stick around to drop some development updates of future series games, over a period of several years, in the comments thread of a random BGG review.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Facebook's gonna be where you want to go for consistent TSWW module updates. He's been pretty active there.

Has anyone here tried any of the games?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Bloom County

Seemed relevant, though I wonder what they would be playing for 1981? The second strip makes it sound like a CDG but that's obviously unpossible??

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Forgot the first strip from a different post!

Randaconda posted:

Bloom County

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So OCS and probably some others do a good job of showcasing the influence of supply on operational pace, but is there a strategy-scale game that tries to showcase the equal importance of planning? I was thinking something where, when launching an offensive you are limited to a number of activations equal to your accrued planning value, which would take several turns/months to collect. A system like that would finally give staff officers their due in mechanical terms as well...

Second question: has any monster hex game tried to solve the issue of interminable counter stacks by using different shapes for, say, units and conditional chits?

Third question...! Has any WW1/WW2 operational/strategic game provided a full and flexible chain of command? I.e. not just one level of "HQ unit", and not just counter-printed fixed allegiances, but made it important which division belongs to which corps to which army, and allowed you to change it?

Thankful for any insights!

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 30, 2017

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Panzeh posted:

As to counter stacks, the better-produced ones will have round markers for certain things, such as OOS or for cadre type units. Thunder in the East has round OOS chits and has different counter sizes for different kinds of organizations to make stacks a bit more readable. TitE even has informational counters with weird shapes like arrow-shaped counters with odds to help track multiple attacks in a turn.

That I will have to check out!

I guess the common thread through my questions is easy to suss out: I was catching up with the thread and passed the discussion about how most WW2 "strategic" games are really operational (or even tactical) games with overblown scales.

That got me thinking about what a WW2 "strategy" wargame should actually entail, and the answer I reached (besides the political/economic aspects) was basically "running the general staff", i.e. setting up the organisation of your forces, appointing commanders, setting up their operational plans and objectives and allocating resources.

I guess with a board game you couldn't really get away from playing out the operational results of your planning, but maybe that could be handled by COIN-style bots...?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone know anything about the new 2020 edition of Axis Empires?

Phi230 posted:

Ugh, Deadly Northern Lights for 1985 is no longer for sale despite me only waiting 2 weeks!

if any goons are selling or know of a copy for sale, hit me up because 1985 is the only series I'm rabidly interested in enough to seek out like this

It's already out of print? Sucks :(

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

blackmongoose posted:

I know lots of things about it, including that it is now going to be the 2021 edition because they needed more development time. What do you want to know specifically?

Ah, thank you! The big question is how much they are changing the base game, beyond adding together the expansions for the old edition?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Decided to take the plunge into weird new napoleon games.

I've always been fascinated by Napoleonic Grand Strategy! How was it?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Not even I'm that crazy. That edition comes with a bunch of extra stuff that's not even compatible with the new edition lol

Is the 600$ version the one where they represent all armies on the divisional level?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Cheeky question perhaps but spring of which year?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Selecta84 posted:

Has anybody played GMTs Absolute War! -The Attack on Russia 1941-44 yet?

It sounds interesting

I could never see the point for a huge game to cover the whole Eastern Front, but end before you get to push into Berlin. That's the best part!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Comstar posted:

Kickstarter for a 2022 reprint of THE THIRD WORLD WAR 1989: THE WORLD STANDS ON THE BRINK OF ARMAGEDDON.

AU$ 46,878 pledged of AU$ 3,454 goal
184 backers
12days to go

Initial goal seems...low. I guess everyone else is just pre-ordering it on their website.

The wargame trope of rendering southern Sweden and Finland as wide open plains remains as strange as ever

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

dammit, I just fended off the need to buy their WiF clone (in the spirit of the game but looks like it's trying to do too much and the board looks like Axis & Allies) and now this.

Which game is that?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Catching up on the thread and reading about the different possibilities grand strategic WW2 games offer in building your force mix put me to mind a kind of combat resolution based on chit pulls, and you can design your chit pool over the course of the game using some kind of doctrine resource. You would add in stuff like Infiltration Tactics or Close Air Support and remove bad chits your pool started with like Command Indecision. The drawn chits would not all be returned after each combat, so you would need to consider the full chit mix, not just adding one of each of the "best" ones. Adding a new chit should probably get cheaper the more of the same type were already in your pool, essentially designing your doctrine chit pool as your army's "default" way of waging war.

Is there any strategic game that represents doctrine that way?

Edit: what a moment to catch up... very sad to hear.

Count Thrashula posted:

Just saw on Facebook that Dean Essig passed away.

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'll get to it after I devise a system like World in Flames (and after I document all the possible docks/ports for an appropriate timeframe)

Don't forget to account for each port's tons/day offloading capacity and the maximum hull size each shipyard can fit!