Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Judging from what COOL CORN, others, and the internet's suggestions, I plan on getting really comfortable with SK1 before moving on the SK3 and then full ASL.

Unfortunately for me, Canada has a bit of a drought when it comes to ASL and Beyond Valor and SK2 are both out of print. If SK2 was available id grab that and work my work from 1 to 3. So far its really easy to learn and play, even solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INinja132 posted:

If you can find SK2 probably that, although I think it might be out of print a lot. If you're interested in campaign Advanced Squad Leader (aka Historical Advanced Squad Leader) you could try Decision at Elst, which is a starter kit campaign. Otherwise 2nd edition rulebook and 3rd edition Beyond Valor is for if you want to get into full Advanced Squad Leader.

What's the rundown on Decision at Elst? Is it possible to run campaigns solo (I assume you can)?

Edit: Are campaigns fun?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 15, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Illegal Username posted:

Oh my god campaign games this is sounding better and better i'm having a nerdgasm here

Do they work with linked scenarios? Are there battles that continue on the same map? Persistent units?

From what I know, linked scenarios is yes and persistent units is yes. Battles occur on different maps but may occur on the same, I think.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A clipper arrived
The corners await their turn
Will this be the last?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Seriously. Reading that is what made me want to buy AWAW.

That said, I just posted a turn 1 AAR of the North Africa scenario, mostly to make sure I'm playing the rules right. If anyone wants to see it, I'll post here as well. But... it's pretty dry and boring.

:justpost:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

4outof5 posted:

This is what happens when you let sex criminals make wargames

wrong nationality, wrong name, wrong paint surely this counter is for this unit!

It's technically the exact same plane, just a export/lend-lease version.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Played my first 2 ASL games (against a human opponent) over the weekend and all I can say is drat you COOL CORN for getting me so addicted to this :argh:

Edit: Played a Franc Tireur and a Rat Pack(?) scenario, now I need to get every scenario ever... and play them all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INinja132 posted:

Ooh, which scenarios did you play? I'm also curious, had either of you played before or were you both new to the game? It seems like I'm in the vast minority as I learnt the game myself, I wasn't taught it by someone else.

Technically, I've taught myself but will definitely cite COOL CORN and the people I played with and against yesterday as helping me understand or delve further into the rules. I was even gifted a sniper dice, where he promptly got a kill against an infantry crew!

The first scenario played was RPT-11 Butchers and Bakers, low unit count British vs Germans. I was doing pretty well, thanks to some bad rolls from my opponent but I got too cautious and didn't start moving men off-map until too late (I also might have forgotten that I needed to do that, whoops!) and when I stormed out to try and kill all his guys in CC, he got a super good string of rolls and basically broke all my squads.

The second scenario was FT-12 On the top of Europe, another low-ish unit count with only HS, LMGs and Leaders. Free French vs Germans, where the Germans need to storm and capture a hill. Came down to the final die roll on the last turn in CC, but my stock MMP dice betrayed my men and caused a loss. Great for introducing someone to ski, hill and some terrain rules.

My opponent was a different person for each scenario, the first guy was more of a rookie of ASL and we consulted the rulebook quite a bit, but that didn't stop 4 hours from vanishing. My second adversary was a way more experienced guy who preferred playing "fast and loose", in his terms. But enjoyable games and I'm anxious to play more.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

unicr0n posted:

Perspex using Wargamers, what thickness should I be looking for in a perspex or acrylic sheet?

Thickness? I'd say between 2 and 3 millimeters should be fine judging by what I've seen with regards to real-life Advanced Squad Leader games I've watched.

Perspex sheets available online seem to hover around 2mm, and it really should be more than enough. Edit: I've just spotted some up to 5mm, but obviously cost and weight goes up a fair amount.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lord Frisk posted:

I started looking at ASL... Why. I already have enough games I don't play.

Starter kit 1 is basically like free crack, right? Just enough to get you hooked?

Basically. Starter Kit #1 is a way to try ASL without spending a ton of money initially.

COOL CORN had an ASL LP thread going if you wanna see how some of it works. Alternatively, check out VASSAL's module and go from there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lord Frisk posted:

Could I jump in at sk3? It has infantry, field guns and vehicles, and sounds like a better way for me to cut my teeth. Or should I stick to sk1 and follow the progression?

You don't have to start with SK#1, its mainly just a way to ease into the rules without dropping a ton of ordnance, vehicles, squad weapons, etc, etc, etc - onto a new player and reduce to overwhelming feeling they might get. I've yet to use my SK#3, but it looks pretty straightforward for a guy like myself who has played 2 games against other people, neither including vehicles.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

A3R may or may not be the reason I'm building the table... :X

Are you working off a template or are you're designing it yourself?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just Pre-ordered Yanks 2, and hopefully will be getting another module for X-Mas. Is it possible to love wargames too much?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The hell is that supposed to be?

Aside from an abomination, ofc

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

I think the hard-on this thread has for punching counters is half real and half taking the piss out of those grognard that do actually get angry at unclipped counters.

SA posters are always serious, especially when it comes to grognardy wargames.

Seriously though, I just like how much better they look, and that I won't have them fray or catch on other counters easily.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bullbar posted:

I've wanted OCS: Korea and The Tide at Sunrise for a while now so it's perfect for me. Although how does it work if an item is currently listed as being out of stock?

SOL as far as I understand it. If the stock runs out, then it runs out and you have to wait, without getting a discount.

From the email:

quote:

Although we do not anticipate any issues with stock the usual caveats still apply - if we should run out of something you will be contacted and credited for the item(s) which ran out. Sorry, we cannot combine any preorder items with sale items. Sale prices are not available to vendors or retailers. Sale prices apply to WEBSITE SALES ONLY!

Edit:

Are the ASL Journals worth getting? I'm curious at what they might offer, and if anyone here has any.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bullbar posted:

Unless I guess they're planning on it not being out of stock by the time of the sale

That would be my assumption, but MMP seems to be terrible at letting people know when stuff will re-stock. :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

taser rates posted:

Alternately, make it a cookie clicker clone except with counter clipping.

You need to take breaks every so often or else you'll get carpal tunnel syndrome and/or your arthritis kicks in.

But you can pay $0.99 for some bengay and keep clipping.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fat Samurai posted:

Do you guys want me to keep on doing this?

This is rhetorical, right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The General posted:

How these clippers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G08PEXO/

Compared to

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CG7D1S/

Thinking of taking the OCD route for wargames.

Get the big one. It doubles as a club.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The General posted:

They dont ship to Canada so it's a no go. The same things go for about $170CDN on amazon.ca and I'm not doing that. That's ridiculous.

Edit: I also went to four or five IRL stores to find some trays for counters, and almost came up empty handed. I dunno what the gently caress, but some of my best options might have been at the dollar store. Only I would felt bad about throwing out all those screws and bolts and poo poo to use the trays they came in.

Can confirm that Oregon Laminations won't deliver to Canada. I had to ask a guy who was visiting during the summer to deliver one. You can try BGG if you don't mind trusting someone with $60.

As for storage, I go with Hozan stuff. They ship to Canada, but you'll want to get as many as possible to cut down on shipping. Occasionally, some of those find their way on Ebay and can be cheaper in total cost to get it to your doorstep.

http://www.ikaswebshop.com/hobpacadostn.html

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Finster Dexter posted:

$40?? That seems a bit spendy, maybe.

Well, 40$ is their largest storage unit, if I remember correctly. Its fully modular so its pretty easy to sort an OOB. For ASL it works perfectly for me, gets me an entire nation per box.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Anyone tried Wing Leader: Victories 1940-1942?

Looks interesting, and at least one P500 review says its capable of more Solitaire action than the box suggests.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The General posted:

Got my clippers today. They work great. A++ would sperg again. 30 counters down, I have no loving idea how many more. :smithicide:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Got some ASL stuff in the mail, including ASL Journal #2. I'm so hyped for Kakazu Ridge... I knew I should've got SASL rules. That or I'll try to play both sides like I usually do.

And speaking of cool ASL stuff, does anyone know a website that has scenario printouts? I don't want to ruin my journal/magazines to get the scenarios :ohdear:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INinja132 posted:

Maybe just scan them in then print them off?

I'm thinking I might do that, but I want to keep them in colour. That and cardstock. Maybe I'll just go to a staples or something...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MikeCrotch posted:

I found a copy of one of the (new?) starter kits in a games shop in Glasgow, my girlfriend literally had to talk me down from buying it. Something along the lines of "You already have enough obscure grognard games that no-one wants to play with you, you don't need another one for £60 and you already have enough games you play by yourself."

She did buy me Airborne Alert for Christmas though so :kimchi:

If you're really interested in ASL, see if there are any groups that play in your area. I already had several starter kits by the time I played my first game against another human, but they were very welcoming and had all the necessary pieces for several games in a day.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
In true grognard circles, we call that joke a Seventy P

:smuggo:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Obfuscation posted:

"ASL is not a difficult game, a normal person who studies the manual can learn it in a month or two" - a completely serious post that I once saw on CSW

The more fun way to learn ASL is just playing with someone else. Make sure you have time to check the manual constantly, ask questions, and keep playing if you make errors.

Edit: What's the learning time on something like World in Flames?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

It's coming together!

All I have left is to sand, stain, and put down some microsuede on the gaming surface.

:yeah:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Whats the verdict on OCS compared to other games like ASL? I've heard so little about it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Oldstench posted:

All you need to know about OCS:

Would, if I had room.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tomdidiot posted:

Honestly, it gets a bad rap for being too big to enjoy. GBII/CB is supposed to be an absolute monster game and is insane even for OCS players. While there are some really big ones, most recent ones have been one/two mappers which should fit on most dining room tables. Sure, it's not a game you'll finish in one sitting, but that shouldn't be a huge knock against it.

The only problem with games you can't finish in one sitting is that you're taking up space for something else while you're not playing. Maybe its just the ridiculous size and the growing grognard in me, but something so huge that I need a bridge I would use in pool to move oversized (or not) counters seems fun even if I only ever do it once.

Edit: Imagine playing that with a dozen or so people on each side, each commanding a certain group of units? You could get so much replayability with that; allies bickering and screwing up just like in real life!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Luck of the draw, I guess :shrug: The people I've met and played with were super chill with me asking questions about really obscure stuff or taking time to check the rulebook multiple times.

I think I'd do a pretty good job at teaching, if/when I get better, because of how much ASL is a thinking game. I should try to do another solo game again...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlyFrog posted:

I really don't want this to get lost in the shuffle - these were all good people. None of them were assholes, or snippy, or anything. They just kept trying to start slow, but got notably impatient and sped everything up much to fast. The sorts that think if they explain 1/50th of a complex subject slowly for the first 5 minutes, that you will then be able to pick up the remaining 49/50ths in the next five minutes after that.

Again, it's not their fault, and they're not being bad people. But honestly, ASL is something where, if you're learning it from other people, is going to be learned over a number of games. Starting someone off in a scenario that involves the Japanese and trucks, and kind of popping through vehicle overrun rules inside of a couple of minutes really means you're more interested in trying to play a game than teaching someone. Which is fine, but you probably should not expect the person to learn much (or not get frustrated with the result, as the game becomes a meaningless jumble of quickly stated unknown terms, as opposed to an actual enjoyable learning experience).

(I'm also not saying I would do much better at teaching it. But I did find, contrary to common wisdom, that I it was much easier for me to learn ASL by simply sitting down and reading the rulebook and several of the very good examples of play that are out there than trying to learn it live with other actual humans.)

No doubt, bad teachers or fast players can ruin the experience for newcomers.

I started on the starter kits, playing solo and using COOL CORN's LP OP as a guide. The first vs scenario I played was... RPT-11 Butchers and Bakers, 5.5 turns with less than 10 squads total. Really great suggestion from my gaming group to start me with it. Spent probably 4 or so hours playing it, asking questions, strategizing. After we finished we had some spare time, so we did a really quick game on FT-12 Sur le Toit de l'Europe at 4.5 turns and 5.5 squads (lots of half-squads in this one).

I've got an ASL Journal I plan to sit down with to see how much I can glean from the huge AAR in it, without having a map or counters in front of me to work with.

Anyone that starts you off with scenarios that aren't infantry-only (or with very little else) is setting up a newcomer to a bad time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlyFrog posted:

Spot on. I actually just decided to play with my (then) wife, who said she was willing and interested. As mentioned, I learned the rules by reading the rulebook, and closely following through some detailed examples of play available on the internet. We then started with things like Guards Counterattack and Fighting Withdrawal, and I had a grand time. From there, we did a few scenarios just involving a tank or two, a gun, etc.

Of course, I'm now divorced, and no longer have the dream of a built-in ASL playing partner. Such is life. (I do not believe ASL caused the divorce, but who the hell knows these things.)

I now have a shitload of ASL stuff, because I'm retarded, and overbuy for nearly anything I'm interested in. I have pretty much all of the "official" things (other than Hakke Palle), including all the Annuals, Journals, and Campaign games, as well as a bunch of third party stuff. I'm tempted to get Hakke Palle just to keep everything "complete."

But of course, I now have no idea what to do with all of the stuff, and it will probably in reality end up being a few thousand dollars worth of cardboard mouldering in my basement crawlspace. Yay.

Bummer, sorry to hear about your divorce :(

I had to search quite a bit to find my ASL group, but living in a major city helps with that. You could always try VASL on VASSAL?

I have the same buying tendency too, for better or for worse, haha.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I always move in stacks :getin:

I am a good player, I promise.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Id have to learn/brush up on my VASSAL but I wouldnt mind once ive got some free time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

I've seen vassal interface and now I'm scared.

There's an LP thread using Tabletop Sim if you want to see what the interface is and how the physics interact.

You can "lock" certain things so that they don't cause chaos with the counters and their physics so its not terrible... unless its stacks of counters which would probably go crazy and never stay in one pile. I can't imagine moving/selecting stacks or stacks within stacks would be fun.

The "game" as a whole is really only worth it if its on sale and you have some friends to play whatever's on the workshop.