Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

evobatman posted:

I know exactly what I need to say to get exactly the parts I want replaced, and I know how to cut through bullshit troubleshooting.

Hint: Whatever you want replaced, say that you swapped it with a good one, and it worked, and the broken one didn't work on the computer you swapped it with (such as harddrives, video cards, etc.)

When they ask you to try to do a thing to troubleshoot, say "I already did that, and it didn't work"

Always say "It doesn't work in BIOS either, and it doesn't work when I boot from a Linux live CD"

External things always work when something on a laptop is broken (display, keyboard etc).

Basically, if you have a part of something that you want replaced, leave no doubt in the support monkeys mind about how and why it is broken, even if you yourself just suspect it might be broken. The techs that come out to fix it are glorified mechanics, they are just there to replace the thing, and doesn't care about diagnosis as long as poo poo works when they are done wrenching.

Being a former chat agent, I always find it funny when people did this. If lying about troubleshooting to get a part only for it to not resolve your issue: well, it's your fault. I can't count the number of times that has happened. I remember when someone said it failed their "internal motherboard diagnostics" and when I asked what test within it failed exactly he get POed. We sent a system board because he complained enough. Guess what happened after we replaced the board? Nothing; they had the same issue.

Content:
I am a call-center IT and I got a ticket: the second power supply is showing as having gone down. He is remote from the site by several states. I asked if someone onsite could look to make sure the power cord was plugged in properly and the light on it. He tells me only that the power supply has no light on it. So I send a power supply. Onsite tech gets on site: the power supply was unplugged the whole time. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Apparently one of the office managers in a client we service decided that the server room needed dusting... and removed these blinking drawers in the front of one of these sliding computer box things so that they could be dusted. Too bad that people are calling her saying the server for which her entire business is based on is down... and that something called a Raid Array was broken. Gosh computers are hard.

I've had a co-worker that had something exactly like this happen as one of his cases.

The customer that called in was a doctor and the doctor even said to him he was specifically told not to touch the equipment ever but felt that it was dusty so he would take care of.

I cannot remember or not if he destroyed the array but I think he did.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

TWBalls posted:

What Caged said. It's an option that Dell offers:
PDF Link

Yeah, and they are also designed to be programmed with MAC address such that when they are replaced you don't have to reconfigure any network config with the new MAC addresses. It should auto-populate from the system board (not that everything is 100% free from glitches). It was a pretty neat thing when I first heard about it.

Caged posted:

But yes you should definitely just ask for the Intel ones instead. Unless there's a reason someone would seek out a non-Intel NIC that I'm not aware of.

I'd agree.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 18, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

ghana rheya posted:

As an experiment, I blocked most bandwidth hog/social media sites in an accidentally on-purpose fashion.

I've yet to have this many tickets in one day. "I can't login, nothing works." "Is Facebook broken?" "WIRELESS IS DOWN." It also amuses me I intended to correct this by lunch time today but ended up with food poisoning and called out sick. Good thing I have "cloud" access to my stuff and things.

So mean. I'm also running IT at the group I was an active in in college: reminds me of the time I used IP tables to redirect one person's traffic to meatspin.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

That looks fun; glad I'm not working in KACE.

Content:
In with the pattern for calling IT for everything, I have had received calls with questions that are clearly sales related, such as a status of an order. I even had one guy actually call sales, but then go routed to tech support by that sales rep for us to help him. :psyduck:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

skooky posted:

I work a few rows down from the :australia: KACE team and we are constantly getting team-wide emails about how amazing they are.

I think most of the customers appreciate that they're doing the best they can with the tools they have. If I ever have to start taking KACE overflow it will probably be time to :yotj:

FUN. I've thankfully heard nothing about the KACE team at our site.

Saw this on the Not Always Right site. Fits with this thread to a T:

http://notalwaysright.com/calling-about-his-c-pee-yew/35973

quote:

Me: “Welcome to the [Company] support desk. You’re speaking to [My Name]. How can I help?”

Customer: “My toilet is broken.”

Me: “Sorry, can you repeat that? You called an IT support desk about a toilet?”

Customer: “Yes, my toilet is blocked. Can you fix it remotely?”

Me: “Sorry, sir. I am unable to remote on to your toilet to unblock it. You will need to call a plumber if it is that bad or use a plunger.”

Customer: “You are supposed to be a support desk. You are not being helpful. Don’t you worry. I will call back and get another agent to help.” *click*

(The customer did call back. The manager got on the other agent’s phone, and basically laughed down the phone at the customer, asking if he has turned the toilet off and on again, or reinstalled the cistern.)

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Since I saw in another thread about someone undocking a laptop improperly, it reminded me of a case a co-worker had back when I worked with end user systems.

There was this IT head that contacted in for support on several docks and laptops: apparently they were CATCHING ON FIRE. Literally on fire.

Of course that was taken seriously. After investigation we found out why this was happening: it turns out he was forcing the laptops onto the dock in the way he thought they would dock. This would cause pins either on the dock port or the laptop port to bend together create an arc - which then caused an electrical fire.

Needless to say replaced the systems and docks but he was told that we are not replacing them if this happens again.

Guess who I got a call from about the same issue two months later. :downs:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

President Ark posted:

... Did they fire this man who was causing a serious health and safety hazard due to gross incompetence? :psyduck:

Wait, forgot what thread I was reading. They probably gave him a raise.

I'd like to say we got contacted by him from another company but I can't say for sure.

Thing is: his company heads were in on the call from what I've heard so... :iiam:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I came across a server that appeared to have redundant power supplies, but the cables from each of the PSUs went into some kind of Y-connector so they were both actually plugged into the same outlet.

:psyduck:

Some people just only care about redundancy when it comes to power supply failures; they don't care enough to to invest in redundant power as well.

But then that comes around to people not thinking/caring enough for proper investment such as proper backups.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

From a co-worker:

Customer contacted in with what he belived was a bad display port. He had tried 2 monitors with no video. Co-worker was ready to start working on getting a replacement card when the customer came back and found he had 2 dead monitors instead.

What are the odds of that?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

piratepilates posted:

There's a guy on my team who will whine about not having time and being too busy to work on something whenever you assign him a case.

Which is weird considering we can compare people's case counts and he has the same number as everyone else who aren't constantly whining about being given work.

It's hilarious when he's given something urgent and he'll raise a big hissy fit about not having time to do it, sometimes he'll just blatantly say he won't work on it for a while and get real bitter at the fact that he was assigned it

I'm just waiting for the day when one of these urgent things ends up not being done in time and pissing someone off enough that he has to explain why he's not doing anything about the work he's being given.

In all seriousness: sounds like the guy is stressed out and doesn't know how to handle it properly. I know I act that way when I am, but I'm usually able to catch myself before I start being an rear end like that.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

The only April Fools that I'm aware of that went around our company yesterday was an internal facing site trick.

"We're having issues with connections between our site and the main site. Can you test it on this page? It doesn't seem to work for me. test.COMPANY.com".

Subsequent page is a Rickroll. It's also internal only.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

anthonypants posted:

I've never had to wait this long to get a hard drive RMA'd, I feel bad for those guys. I was surprised this 6410 was even still in warranty, but it expires in like three weeks :v:

If that's Client ProSupport: yeah, they've been knee deep in people in queue for a long while. Unfortunate for some of my friends still in that department. :smith:

Content:
I received a ticket for someone to was told to submit a ticket to us to replace an Fiberchannel card. Didn't know if they needed a tech or not. That was 3 weeks ago. I'm still waiting for scheduled down time so I can even send the part but there's still nothing yet.

On another note: I've had a guy call in three times in the past three months. Every single time he got routed to me just coincidentally.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in.

So account lead sold the client a new spam filter and set it up, according to the ticket setting it up anyways. I got an email from the client saying one of their customers is being blocked by it. So I email the account lead asking him for the info to log into the spam filter and whitelist the client. He came back to me today with "I have no idea how to do anything with the software. You know as much as I do"

And is he saying "You need to get on this?"

I see "I don't need to know a product to sell it" is yet another layer of incompetence there.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

I know my call center has some of it's own issues - like people ripping off the cover of a broken urinal and using it (always seems to be night shift) but dang...

Just wondering: anyone ever boot from a SAN using RHEL, a Dell server with Fiber, through a Cisco SAN switch, to an IBM SAN?

If it's sounds like a clusterfuck: it is.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 29, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

Standalone pop-up blockers still exist? I thought every browser already comes with that feature.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's standard now.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Fabricated posted:

I enjoy really lovely webapps that our business office needs to use that require Java 1.6 to work properly. I enjoy lovely webapps in general. lovely webapps for everything!

How about ones where they're not only Java 1.6 dependent, but IE8 dependent as well. Better than IE6 but still.

At least recently they finally stated they're working to update us to the next version which has multiple browser support and supports newer IE as well.

Of course one of the house-developed apps blocks Firefox with a redirect. User Agent switcher to IE shows it works JUST FINE with Firefox, but obviously they want to refuse to support it. I think they've forgotten about Chrome since it also works just fine without a redirect.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Wasn't my case but I've heard of one where when the sales person was fired they chucked the laptop at the manager's wall. Apparently was still fixable afterwards, just damaged casing.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

... on an open ticket. Ticket owner is in training.

Customer essentially wants us to install just security updates on their RedHat that they don't have a license for currently.

Obviously CentOS updates are an option, albeit not best option. Turns out also not to give him what he wants.

I find out the next day that he has had a RedHat Satellite server. Which they've already registered the maximum amount of systems with.

Yeah, nope. You'll have to pay for the licenses. I can't do anything else for you.

Also: love the "THIS A PRODUCTION SERVER. We can't take the time to Troubleshoot! Replace the parts which the server will have to go down to do anyways."

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

FireSight posted:

I worked at WalMart right out of highschool, for about a month. As a temp night stock person, I had to get a drug test before going in for "training" (aka, here is how to not gently caress up your back when lifting poo poo all night long).

They drug tested EVERY SINGLE PERSON.

Yep. At least I didn't have to pay for it when I last worked at WalMart. And when I had to get workmen's comp for an injury I sustained. (They also put me out in the garden area as a greater during a major heat wave, gently caress them)

I know drug testing was a requirement for starting at my current employer, but I've yet to even have a single test since. It's been almsot 2 1/2 years since.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

A friend of mine had a ticket come in.

Bank has the main branch and several branches spread out across the state. There are 2 DCs at the main office and 4 others, 1 at each branch. They have a weird issue to where if they want to add someone to the domain, the user gets added to a random one of those DCs, not one at the local location.

Problem he found? They have a public B-class net they have. Then they subneted... with C-class subnets overlappting that B-Class. They've had slow network for the past 12 years and it's been working. Apparently it's a fluke due to how they're connected to the T1s. It would send the request up to a switch that then goes up to the primary switch to the T1 - which send it back down to the switch which sees the subnet and ends up going to the correct location.

Thank god I don't have to deal with that mess.

He also has to deal with a customer that is very difficult to work with. His best example is the customer saying: "My cable modem cannot be bad! I pay for it to never go down!"

Oh, MSPs.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I would not trust a bank with multiple branches that didn't have an internal IT department.

I think they were just hired to figure it out since they do that, too, but they do also act as MSPs if they can. I'm glad I didn't end up needing :yotj: and apply to them.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Volmarias posted:

What do they want a computer science degree for? It doesn't follow anything else they listed as making sense.

Because computer science. No really, there are a lot of people who simply assume it's an IT degree.

Content: not my ticket, but wow. Don't you guys love it when clients attack and slight you personally simply because a situation occurred that they aren't getting exactly what they want? I ended up getting the call since they escalated over a delay in service since "they can never be down". (They had previously on the ticket demanded a replacement system due that they don't want to ever be down. This is a server, BTW.)

At this point every email I receive from these people I imaging a crying baby.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Maintenance dude: "How should we handle a keyboard with a used condom on it?"
Me: "As a biohazard"

Maintenance dude removed the old keyboard and I replaced it with the crustiest used keyboard that I could find in my discard pile.

Remind me of a time a co-worker was working with a client to remove the optical drive from a Dell Latitude and the after taking it out the client went "Hey, there's a condom in here." Here being inside the system.

:smith:

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Ticket Severity: :supaburn:
Issue: COMPUTER IS hosed
Resolution: :dukedog:

Well, there is a hole!

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Sirotan posted:

On Monday I posted about the potential SQL injection vulnerability I found within KACE. Well it has taken me since then to actually submit a ticket to them letting them know of the issue, because they first had to clear up a billing issue from over a week ago and then it took their techs AN ENTIRE DAY to reset my password (after they locked out my account). But then I submitted my ticket, and got an actual response!

:downs:

This page says they've known about it for at least a year now so yeah I won't hold my breath on that fix.

:argh: This is what happens when you shake up your engineering team.

Reminds me of when I transitioned my fraternity to a billing group specifically for fraternities. When I forgot my password instead of resting it, they sent it to my email. Which means it's stored in plain text. I think it was at one people even worse: when logging it it submitted the password through the HTML form, so it would show up in the URL as well. :stonk: Yeah, they did eventually fix it, too. But drat...

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Tickets like that annoy me to no end as they cost the company thousands and cause unnecessary downtime and costly ongoing maintenance in attempts to avoid what is clearly user error

I've seen that happen numerous times. When an issue continues on another system, right after you install the software they specifically want to use, then it's not the system dammit.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Some replacement Dells just came in...

We got some Optiplex 380's to replace 780's. The 380's came out in 2012 with Win7 installed. I'm trying to get our 780 ghost image to install on it and guess what, the 380 chipset doesn't support AHCI. Seriously.

Anyway, Google tells me:

Sounds great, and it looked promising because after I changed those reg keys the AHCI pc crashed on boot like it should. But restoring that to the 380 is still crashing on boot as well.

Anyone know if I'm forgetting anything else to get this image working?

Did you change the SATA operation in the BIOS to ATA as well after the change on the 780?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

The first thing you should do is always ask for more info. What are you trying to do? Is it slow to start up as well? How long does it take to open internet explorer? What about files from a network drive? poo poo like that.

Resmon.exe (In windows by default but not advertised that much) is great as it'll break down resource usage in great detail; more-so than task manager.

It might be slow simply because it's a poo poo PC. If it's got a low (2GB) amount of RAM, or a 5400/7200RPM disk that might be the bottleneck. Try to remember that when someone calls in with :frogsiren: THE COMPUTER IS SLOW :frogsiren: that doesn't mean it's suddenly happened out of nowhere. They could just be wise to the ways of the helpdesk you're at and know that screaming about something will warrant a closer look. Whereas in fact, the laptop is 3 or 4 years old and they've put up with it until now.

I get similar issues in my queue, but with servers it's even funner. We don't do performing tuning, but hey we'd at least check hardware issues as well as possibly obvious software issues.

Although the guy who wants to do performance trading on a server with 1 SATA drive, with no RAID card so no cache...of course your system is slower than you want.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

hihifellow posted:

Congratulations co-worker on successfully preventing that remote hacker from running a malwarebytes scan on a laptop possibly infected with spyware :toot:

Jesus, what did they think "I'm going to remote in and take a look" actually meant?

Perhaps they just didn't put 2+2 together, and assumed that they got hacked by the spyware? Wouldn't be surpised.

Of course then again, when I worked client: I had people that would have me work on their systems, then - since the remote tool would always give the user ultimate control of the system - they would go back to working and I couldn't do what they wanted me to do.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Billy the Mountain posted:

So, Dell.

You are a week late in providing 24 hour support Warranty service to replace a CPU fan for an Optiplex.

Because, and let me make sure I have this right, there is a World wide SHORTAGE OF RUBBER GROMLETS?
OK, fine...when is the expected delivery date for Gromlets?

Aug 8.

gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

As a former Client support agent, I feel you because honestly it was frustrating for me as well. From experience, it's usually Dell itself waiting on parts as well as Dell doesn't do any hardware manufacturing (at least to my knowledge).

And by the way: :ssh: if you read your warranty these sort of things are built in :ssh:

EDIT: SALRx decided to stop actually copying quotes for some reason

While we're on Linux chat: oh I knew people that were that way that got me into trying out Linux.
I'm currently at the point of at home Dual booting, although I'm mostly in Linux because most of what I want to do works great in Linux (including Steam).
But working with Linux in a professional environment as well makes it painfully obvious it's not a "replacement" as much as having the right tool. A lot of third party engineering software is designed for Windows only (which I thankfully never have to deal with directly).

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 18, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Coworker had a customer come in on an existing ticket.

"I don't know how to turn on and off sound. I have support." a.k.a I don't have critical thinking, I want you to do everything for me.
Ticket was orginially opened for "I can't find the icon on my desktop I need."

And guess what she called in a month ago for? Don't know how to change sound settings. In that previous case she asked the tech: "can you just fax me the instructions. How to turn the sound on and off and adjust the volumn"

I'm glad I don't have this ticket, since I'm already feeling like :bang:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

So some sysadmin client of the vet posted this on reddit:

It's a vet's office and it's so animals don't pee on it.

I mean, it makes sense, except for the fact a shelf would be so much safer...

(for reference http://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresting/comments/2cam35/the_computers_at_my_vet_are_suspended_with/)

EDIT for ticket content:

I'm working with a client sysadmin to get logs from the chassis itself. I explain him how to do it with mutiple times stating which device to get the logs from. He send me back a log from a different device that of course some of the commands fail. :(
I guess it could be a language barrier (guy is in Argentina supporting a system in the US)

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 1, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

dogstile posted:

I didn't even crack a smile reading that, a lot of it just seems like its poking at people for being stupid or exaggerating like hell :shrug:

It is a parody of Not Always Right, which some submissions have been accused of being exaggerated, and of course some entries have made fun of people being stupid. Kinda hard to tell which is which.

A ticket came in a while back: "I'm having an issue with a single hard drive no longer being detected by a node in the chassis. Let's not waste time and replace the entire 4 node chassis that's over $10K. Thanks." Yeah, no.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

^^^EGAD. How new was that UPS?

orange sky posted:

Ahahahaha what is on these people's minds

Unfortunately for the tech that was working with us this came form his boss. The tech actually wanted to work on the issue but couldn't. They system they have was designed to be sold as 1 of many to be able to lose one server without much hit to production. They instead bought 1 chassis and made each node a non-redundant production server. And since they were in production the boss would not take it down to troubleshoot.

The ticket owner had to do a best guess on parts and guess what? Issue not resolved. Boss is hopping mad since he just assumed we were sending parts like it was a experiment on his system... and while that was happening the actual technician got the chance to troubleshoot and found it was the motherboard on that single node. Through this the boss was being an annoying tough guy on email, and a nice guy on the phone. :argh:

Also towards the end of the case, I learned the original tech that was working with us was :yotj:. :smith: Never knew if it was him leaving or being fired.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 7, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

nitrogen posted:

ok, what is this from? I am stealing this and using it everywhere.

Today's fun conversation:

:eng101: Since this is being built in an environment that normally does not see redhat, we cant use mrepo. That means I need a license for rhn to build it.

:anime: OK I got you a temp license, you can go ahead and build it.

:eng101: Really? Forward it to me so i can activate the entitlement.

:anime: ...I don't haveit WITH me. I'll get it to you in a couple days when I get it back from procurement.

Really? Do you think I'm THAT stupid?

I wasn't aware that RHEL even had temp licenses; but even then isn't the license digital?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I am firstinitiallastname@gmail.com, with a very common last name, and I get shitloads of misdirected email from churches/prep schools/banks/law firms/etc. My own brother managed to accidentally use my email address when he signed up for phone service with a new company (his first name starts with he same letter as mine.)

I have a friend who because someone registered <firstname><lastname>@gmail.com he instead registered <lastname><firstname>@gmail.com. The person at the first email always is mad that they got the email intended for my friend.

Also speaking of Reply All spam... a ticket came in. One of our foreign centers is having a tool issue, so the tool team - for some reason - included all of the front line support agents in the chain. I clicked Ignore immediately after the first "Remove me" email started, and of course my Deleted Items started building.

My favorite so far is

quote:

I’m entertained with this. Please keep me on the list.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

To jump into Torrent chat: the only justification I can see for needing a Torrent client in my line of work is for those Linux install ISOs that are available by torrent. However I can't see that ever being the norm, especially with most of the Linux Distros having the ISO for straight download as well.

Is there any other legitimate reason to use torrents in the work place that aren't one-offs? I cannot for the life of me think of any others.

EDIT ^^^ Jesus, dude. I can't blame you.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

So I've been told of a series of cases over a year that sound as legendary.

Several years ago, a drunk sysadmin had called into us 4 times within a year to support an issue with his server: his junk was stuck in the optical drive slot.

:psyduck:

I don't know why he would call us, but he did. He didn't call the fire department because he would say they couldn't help him. He demanded us to since he paid for support from us...

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

peak debt posted:

As somebody who used to wire up LAN parties: gently caress you :mad:

Hey now. This is a cubicle setup and thus has the power capacity for it. I mean, someone in the building has a mini-fridge in their cubicle. No, seriously. It's sitting on the desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Potato Alley posted:

(Dell support is full of idiots, FYI).

I take offense to that. :colbert: Then again, are you dealing with Basic or ProSupport? Big difference.

• Locked thread