Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

SEKCobra posted:

Well I always assumed it's so that HR can go "THAT GUYS FAT, NOPE" "DON'T LIKE HIS FACE, BYE". Since it's their choice who to hire, you can't really get around it. Also we don't have that many black people to have problems with racism, our foreigners are clearly distinguishable by their name. :downs:

They get around not being allowed a headmugshot where I work by calling in people for interview and after they have proven to be perfectly qualified for the job the CIO comes in and will veto anyone he does not "like the look of" (his words).

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Honestly apart from the dumb stuff him wanting to have things on record is "a good thing". I started my last job taking over from someone who left literally no documentation. He was a ninja coder and made loads of systems with nothing written down about them, all of his code has 0 comments in it.

For the love of God I just wish he had written something down about what he was doing and what some of his systems did. It seems he built up a complex and delicate structure of job and process which while are actually written quite well, and simplified a lot of functions, they now have to be torn down and started from scratch because the retard did not write a single thing down about what he did or made and nobody knows how it works.

For some reason people seem to think their jobs are more secure if only they know how to do something. Don't think that, good documentation skills make you more valuable than anything else you think you can do.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
A call came in..

On my on call mobile, at 3:30am and then 4:30am.

Some south London wideboy asking "is Bry-ony there innit"

I was not happy this morning. I need to remember to put the phone on silent before I go to sleep.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Inspector_666 posted:

There has to be a LAN, otherwise why have a server?

And yeah, the thing has to have at least a NIC.

:downs: The cloud is WIRELESS!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Yeah? Well what if you put an exclamation mark on the end?! What would you do then, huh? Huh?!

OWNED!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Hang on a minute, aren't drive mappings done on the user policy? So him logging on an mapping a drive with a batch file is only going to map it for him, the next person who logs on won't have that mapped drive.

Is this the twilight zone?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

deimos posted:

Well, no, the permissions model is there to prevent people from doing stupid poo poo, if you're using it and can do damage you best be careful. There are a ton of tools that could do the same, you wouldn't say never get a nail gun because you could nail yourself in the eye. I mean you could nail yourself in the eye but why the gently caress would you?

A few days ago I was showing someone our public DNS records and was clicking around and not paying due attention and them whoops, there goes our web forward breaking the public web address for the entire company. A few panicked phone calls later to the hosting company and I got it fixed.

Sometimes too much power is a terrible burden. Luckily I am not generally stupid, just on Monday mornings. :smith:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Well yes, Vostros are pretty much babbys first laptop. They should not be used in any professional environment.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

SEKCobra posted:

I don't know what you'd have to do to break the strands AND pierce the outer seal. It's one thing to break it, but another to rip the cable apart.

So basically don't eat fiber cables

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
It's more a question of responsibility. It's the same with work mobiles. they just get smashed to bit because people know that if they put them in the washing machine/ run them over in their car/ just smash them in anger nothing will happen, they will just get a replacement.

Same if you let them change toner. They know that if they literally break a toner in half and empty the contents on the floor then nothing will happen to them as their direct managers don't give a poo poo.

Make middle management responsible and accountable for your MFDs if you want to see some fun things happen to people.

Unfortunately this is not a reality that most people get to see, as most middle management are children and will stomp their feet unless you have a very strong C level team who agree on things and don't treat the office like their personal fiefdoms.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Fortis posted:

A sales rep filed a ticket this morning to report that he can't make phone calls before around 5:15 am. He gets dead air when he tries, apparently.

We open at 5:30. Our business hours literally do not begin until then. I asked around and found out that the sales manager is coming in at 5:00 and letting people in.

This shouldn't be my problem. This shouldn't be anyone's problem. This shouldn't even be a known issue. People shouldn't be at their desks at 5:00 am. We shouldn't be open until 5:30.

Can't you just tell them that the phone system is in night mode until 5:30am, it's working as intended, and close the ticket?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Migishu posted:

Question for the masses:

I have a whole bunch of accounts that are locking out, and I've been tasked on looking into them. I'm using the available Account Lockout tools from Microsoft, however I face a problem where a lot of the lockouts are happening outside of my support hours. The tools run fine, but are useless to me for a lot of users due to this timing problem.

I'm looking for a tool that i can use to check the domain controllers for lockouts, then if it detects a domain controller that shows a bad password count within a determined period of time, say, 1/2hr, it will scan the domain controller's logs for the lockout information?

Before someone asks "Why can't anyone else do it at that time?", our support desk is the only one that can really investigate these issues due to permissions and bureaucracy, and we've got limited support hours.

Sorry, but shouldn't the focus be on why these account lockouts are occurring in the first place? Then you wouldn't need to worry about what time they happen, as you can fix the root problem?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
A ticket came in... from home.

My wifes backup drive for her photography business failed. Of course the drive that had all of the original data on also failed 6 months ago and she never thought it might be a good idea to keep the backup data mirrored somewhere else since it was now the only surviving copy.

The is, of course, entirely my fault and now my problem.

Does anyone have any experience with Crashplan or any cloud backup solutions? any recommendations?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be looking at. I thought that was the point, not that it's necessarily hooked up incorrectly, more WTF are you saying and the picture is not a substitute for communicating your issue here.

It looks to me like the local IT manager has decided to plug his own VoIP router into the port that the internet is supposed to go into, and then wants to know if he can plug the internet into another port on that router. Except most managed routers like that only have a single port for external traffic.

And a VoIP router shouldn't be plugged into that port anyway...

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

A Ticket came in...on a Sunday...outside of normal business hours and breaking every Change Control Policy we have, not to mention space and time.

"EMERGENCY: SEI deploying update that requires Java 8u31. Please deploy to attached list of computers. Computers need software no later than 6 AM EST Monday."

A few qualms:

1) The ticket arrived 15 minutes ago.
2) I'm sure this will somehow break ADP Payroll.
3) Change Control requires a one-week runtime for all changes, and emergencies require sign-off by our technology leader.

And last but not least:

4) Every machine is a laptop, and none of them are on the network at this time.

Apparently SEI let us know about the update two months ago, but the line of business didn't think it was a big deal until 3.5 hours before the date of the vendor change.

So as usual some middle manager royally hosed up and is trying to push it to IT? Please tell us you have the power to enforce policy and make them wait for your change process?!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
A ticket came in, from my mum:

quote:

Hi blank,
can you check this email for me for authenticity before I respond - thanks, Mum xxx