Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raerlynn posted:

I feel like I already know the answer to this, but why did you not test your update statement in development?

Real IT pros test in prod. :colbert:

(which I'm pretty sure one of my old companies did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DigitalRaven posted:

Everyone has a test environment. Some poor fucks work in places that call it "production".

Well yeah. My old job had a fuckload of problems though that wasn't limited to a very close connection between prod and test though to the point where it was a tad blurry.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder that BCBS has been really, really bad with protecting its data and has paid out millions for HIPAA violations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ticket time!
Guy changed his password. Then got locked out because he failed at typing too many times. I unlocked his account. Locked again. Changed his password. Locked again.
He starts getting irate with me on the phone. In a very calm voice I say, "Sir, it's going to be okay. We're gonna get through this together."
Meanwhile I'm thinking, "MOTHERFUCKER IF YOU CAN'T TYPE YOUR PASSWORD THEN I CAN'T loving HELP YOU!"

Then it came to me. I asked if there was anyone else around that I could test with. "You know, to make sure that it's not your computer."
He calls some secretary/assistant/whatever in, gives her the phone, I tell her to type in his username and password. Boom! Logged in just fine.

I whisper to her softly and deliberately, "he's your problem now, hon. Godspeed" ...and hangup.
I didn't even wait for him to figure out that she logged in with his creds. I'll let them hash that out.

How high up on the totem pole is this guy? This is important info.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Deputy Director of another organization that happens to need access to our ERP system.
He's important, but he can go gently caress himself.

if there isn't a law/idiom/whatever that says "The higher someone is in a company, the less they understand about tech", there should be. Something to that effect.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't know exactly whose bright idea that was. I still can't loving fathom why though.

Let me guess, your idea?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Deuce posted:

Now, I'm not a professional IT guy like most of you, so I don't know how it's done in "the biz," but my personal rule is that if a device was ever on fire you should just replace it. This goes double for devices that carry enough current to kill you.

Never underestimate how cheap some people are.

Or "I CAN FIX THIS, I SWEAR" types.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spog posted:

Are you going to turn away a grieving widow, you heartless bastards?

Yes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the issue is people see a problem, ignore it until it either A. gets too annoying, or B. gets to the point where no work is getting done.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

uPen posted:

A ticket came in:
:eng101: I need the wifi card removed from my PC.
:) Not possible, it's built in. We could turn it off if you need but why?
:eng101:There's bad wifi getting in.
:) ???
:eng101: I've got some minerals on my desk that stop some of it. [Points to rock salt lamp and a shiny rock on the monitor stand.]
:) I'll uh see what we can do. [Walks away.]

please tell me the end result was :yikes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DizzyBum posted:

An AWS outage came in. :suicide:

As long as AWS has been around, I've been very... skeptical about it. Mostly because it's a MASSIVE single point of failure.

Cheap sure, but given how much of the internet relies on it? Yeah...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eschatos posted:

Be careful, the hunger for more monitors only grows. I've been wondering about mounting two more monitors above the three I've already got.

I have two monitors, and sometimes I wish I had three at home.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bigass Moth posted:

Anyone ever actually used a Kensington Lock?

Sort of? At my old job my laptop had to be either A. physically secured or B. on my person at all times. Then again, health insurance and HIPAA.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As someone who is more on the programmer side of things, how long would setting up SCCM take in an average case (if such a thing exists).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The grossest stuff is the inside of a smoker's computer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mewse posted:

I usually end up screaming gently caress after getting off the phone with an imbecile. While the line is open I am impeccably polite

that is me with my customers at my current job

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Knormal posted:

You mean... A cricket came in?

:dadjoke:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

I have come to accept that most of my humor would now be categorized as Dad Jokes. :geno:

I came to that conclusion years ago and have fully embraced it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mo_Steel posted:

Cricket closed: Cold boot solved the issue.

:perfect:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, there's a clear lie here.

"nothing" was not selected for breakfast.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tactlessbastard posted:

Cross posting from PYF:

I originally posted that in AI :mad:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's ok :)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ConfusedUs posted:

To be fair, unless it has an internal combustion engine, smoke should not be coming out of any device. Even if there's not an open flame, smoke is the result of something burning!

What about external combustion engines?

Snark aside, I think possibly a surge on one of the wires caused it to fry? I don't know, weird that that happened.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

But enough about Honda's F1 efforts

:hfive:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chunjee posted:

I'm the size 72 font in a workplace e-mail.

Let me guess, "EXTREMELY URGENT"?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You could have also posted a Ferrari you know.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We enacted a new password policy today and expired everyone's passwords for everything.

How many phone calls have you received so far?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/zfmYMiq.gifv

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Renegret posted:

So because of this post:

I decided to DVR something at work so I don't forget. (Kind reminder I work for the ISP)

While doing that, I found a minor issue with our website that prevented me from setting the recording, so I asked one of our engineers to take a look thinking it was just my computer having an issue.

It's been 4 hours now and I'm in the middle of a giant conference call and multiple e-mail threads with angry C levels over why this thing hasn't been fixed yet. All because I decided to DVR some stupid video game TV show on Disney channel about a goon who plays video games with one hand.

So everything is on fire isn't it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm unqualified for all sorts of things and people keep giving me jobs!

Maybe you should run for president then.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Unfortunately. It's rebranded as VB.net now but it's still the same VB we all know and hate.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Potato Salad posted:

Why didn't we just increase the size of v4 address, anyway?

Probably to address (pun not intended) any other shortcomings in IPv4.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What are ports 389 and 636 usually used for?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proteus Jones posted:

LDAP and LDAP over SSL/TLS

So in other words, the response should be "hahahah no. You moron."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fishmech posted:

The proper response to unwarranted photoshop requests is to say "sure here's a sample of my work" and give em the ol:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fortis posted:

The COO has asked us to report on the industry best practices for "evaluating the fitness of backup tapes." When presented with evidence that no such best practice exists, he insulted my team and demanded a "more competently done" report. He also clarified that he wants to know the industry best practices for evaluating the fitness of individual backup tapes.

You throw them away when they start having too many errors, you loving lunatic. They cost like twenty bucks.

That's 20 bucks too much, don't you know?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Staff at my organization are constantly vying to be at the end of the tech support line. They know I'm busy and are so loving cool and laid back about it, nearly 80% of requests come in with a note of "This is absolutely not important please don't interrupt anything you're doing, we're cool if you want to address this in a week or two whenever you have time."

I had to struggle when I first started to get people to tell me that stuff was broken, because they were so worried about burdening IT with low-priority problems.

It's not a 'cool' or 'hip' environment for sure (government) but this is by far the best staff I've ever worked with.

I'm a server. One of my biggest pet peeves is people complaining about drinks being low when I'm running around like mad.

I'd love to have customers regularly who were "When you have a moment" when I'm running around because I'm the only server and the place is packed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This has a totally different context in this thread.

I do have 100% uptime! Haven't missed a day yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

freeedr posted:

Hot or knot

Fixed that for you.

• Locked thread