Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

thelightguy posted:

And what do I do but whip out my phone and scan it just to see what it says.

You keep it at your desk and point at it when people ask stupid questions. Then you let them scan it themselves.

I still keep mine right beside my monitor. :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

redstormpopcorn posted:

So 5:45PM yesterday after gorging myself on food truck chow, a (forwarded-forwarded) ticket came in.

Initial reaction: :stonklol: :suicide:

Why the gently caress did you even see that before 9am on Monday?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

incoherent posted:

Put the virtual memory in the real memory :getin:

Waay back in the dark ages of IT one of my friends did Novell installs for a living, and got an order to set up an insane server with a whopping 128 MB RAM. Of course we installed Windows 3.11 on it just to try it out.
It wasn't fast at all.
Then we got the bright idea to make a RAMdrive for the (required) swap space. Then windows got pretty fast.
Then we got another bright idea, and put the entire Windows-folder on the RAMdrive. That made it seriously fast!
Then Windows crashed, took the machine down with it, and we had to reboot. Then we shrugged and went back to making Doom II mods.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
It's mah birfday!

I brought rolls, sourdough rye bread, homemade honey, homemade blueberry jam, and butter for everyone in the building (~40 people today). Then I sneakily hung around the table when the crowd moved in and cornered the two biggest storage consumers. I almost didn't have to press them into accepting that I move 20 TB worth of random project files onto the slower, less expensive storage.

I also got the Fjällräven laptop bag I've been ogling for a while from my wife, and the kids made me drawings of colorful princess' houses and a four-armed monster fighting people in tanks. I could get used to days like this.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

You can't post the bag and not the kids' pictures.

Left the drawings at home and took the bag to work so I could get paid while migrating crap between bags. I'll snap a few pictures when I get home.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Every time I see the acronym I think "Motherfucking Printer". :shobon:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Kidney Stone posted:

Not to turn this into a beer chat, but here we pay around $6 for a pint of beer :(

We should all just shut up before evobatman shows up and start wringing his hands over how much they pay in Norway. (Cheapest I've seen is ~€6 for a pint, good brew runs about €9)

fatman1683 posted:

You can't post the bag and not the kids' pictures.

As promised.

Princess' houses

An army truck carrying more troops to fight the monster

A tank about to fight the monster

The horrible 4-armed monster (that's going to eat all the soldiers)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
What a wonderful way to start the day.

One of the nodes on the X9720 went down overnight. As luck would have it it didn't just go down down, it just stopped doing anything.. except react to heartbeat requests and pings. That meant that when I came in this morning the entire storage array seemed offline, and would time out for anything that looked like actual work. Couldn't mount the shares, couldn't load the management interface, couldn't SSH into the Fusion Manager, but you could ping it.
Since the heartbeat was A-OK the other nodes didn't think anything was wrong so they didn't do anything except serve up files (that couldn't be requested) and wait for the heartbeat to stop so they could swap the FM to a different node. :argh:

It turned out that the OS had borked itself somehow, and after I tried rebooting the node it crashed during boot and refused to come up again in anything but single-user mode. At least the other nodes finally figured out something was wrong and took over the FM, so now we have a working storage again - minus one node.

To top it all off I got a snarky reply from HP that they couldn't open a case without information about serial numbers and service contract number - when I told them in the initial mail that I had attached the entire service contract (with everything they could possibly wish to know about the hardware) in the initial support request. At least they shut up and opened the case when I made a "look at the attachment mentioned in the original mail" reply.

Oh well, at least we're going to the summer cabin tonight, and then off to car-shopping with my parents tomorrow. They need a new car, and I could use a replacement for my aging 1996 Fiesta. We've shopped cars together before, and it's amazing how big a discount dealers will offer you on a small car when you're buying a luxury car too. :v:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Anyone remember the name of that goon-made suite of tools that could be used to fix the most common problems in windows?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

^^^^ Dial-a-Fix?

That's the one. Thanks. :)

:(

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's called a throbber. I would think goons would be all over using that term.

I've never heard it called anything but "beachball".

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

This is an IT thread. You can do better than PBF!

http://xkcd.com/961/

Caged posted:

They are both terrible. Raised floors should just be a thing by now.

Our new multi-million dollar news-desk offices has raised floors. :cool:

..that creak when you walk on certain tiles. :eng99:

Crowley fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 27, 2013

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

tehloki posted:

On behalf of all the webcomics thread posters a great big hearty :frog: to you and your Ha Ha I Get Reference comic

I can't tell if you're applauding or scorning me.. :raise:

..so I'll take it as praise.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Oh hey people. Calm down now, ok? Let's all just group hug and hate on printers instead.

Also: Windows 8's Start menu sort of makes sense now that I'm fooling around with a Lenovo Yoga laptop/fliptop. Unfortunately there are poo poo-all apps available for it. Example: There isn't even a Facebook or Reddit app, and those seem to be everywhere.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

Try the People App, and I really don't think you even tried searching:

WinKey + C, click search icon. Or I guess on a touch interface swipe from the left side of the edge in, and it should bring up the charms

Of course I tried searching. :confused:

Edit: This is seriously odd. I was wondering if all 133 reddit apps was somehow not available in the Danish store, so I picked on at random "Reddit To Go!" and googled for it. That led me to the apps.microsoft.com-page for the app, I clicked the "View in Windows Store" button, and the Store opened right up with the app available. I downloaded it and everything seems to work. Same thing with facebook. What the hell is going on?

Edit2: I found the solution to the, eh.. feature(?) of not showing me any apps at all. Per default the store is set to only show apps that supports the same language as set in the profile. In my case it meant that the store would hide any non-Danish apps. That's some top notch thinking there, guys. :downs:
(Link to the solution)

Crowley fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 28, 2013

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

UAC, isn't disabled or anything, is it?

Nope. I just unpacked the unit (Lenovo Yoga 13), let it finish the Win8 install, and started farting around with the touch interface. I think I'll make a recovery disk tomorrow, and then restore it to English Windows instead of Danish. We use English at work anyway, and the translated menus are more confusing than helping.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

incoherent posted:

A decision that could of only been made in a Microsoft manager committee. See: shutdown button in vista.

Vista doesn't hold a candle to Windows 8 when it comes to obtuse shutdown buttons.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Motronic posted:

I just don't get it. Literally everything you could need in an engine, ladder or rescue is better served by what we've had for decades, with the addition of a GPS for out of district calls where your driver might not be familiar. And even then, the officer can just read a paper map and navigate like we've been doing for decades. Hell, out dispatch still gives us a map page and grid location for every call.

I'm mostly with you, but back in the early 90s when I was in da navy we took a distress call from a German MTB coming into our port with an unspecified fire under deck. We had plans for all the Danish warships in the truck, but nothing of German design. Any kind of data (other than a distressed Captain with a horrible accent on the radio) would have made the whole situation slightly less hair raising.

Luckily the Germans keep their munitions and fuel in similar locations to the Danish MTBs, and the fire was small and easily contained.

Plus, does a FLIR count as high-tech? Superman-like see-through-walls-vision is the poo poo. Don't even need enter and sweep, just close the hatch and move on. :clint:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
We make any cable over 20m ourselves, but that's mostly because we already have the in-house tools and skills to do it, and we're making our own power, Coax and SLR cables too. Anything less than 20m get's a pre-made cable because they are just plain cheaper.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

captkirk posted:

Do most people actually use pre-made ethernet cables when wiring up your racks?

Of course.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Off to a bad start today. I slept ~3 hours because my runny nose turned into a slight fever. Woke shivering around 3am and grabbed a woolen blanket to throw on top of the duvet. Got up at 6 and didn't feel like going to work at all.

A cup of joe made the world a little bit better, and after a trip to the gent's room the day is saved. We upgraded to 3 ply.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
You have a rack at home? I've been out-nerded. (not that it took a whole lot to do that)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Now the enormous stack of Cisco's my GF has in the spare room is a different story.

I cheat and virtualize all my servers. :v:

..and keep my shoes/boots/wellingtons in a closet (along with Mrs. Crowley's and the kids')

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

SubjectVerbObject posted:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD YOU KEEP YOUR WIFE AND KIDS IN THE. Oh never mind. Sorry read that wrong. Haven't had coffee yet. Carry on.

Girlfriend, please. The only one in the closet is me. ;-*

pixaal posted:

I love getting an email: EMAIL IS NOT WORKING!!!!!! HEEELLLP!!!! Oh really? Well yes it is working because I got this. The best is when email actually isn't working so you get 300 emails all saying email is down when you finally get it running again.
Everyone here who won't admit to thinking "I'll just email everyone that the Exchange server is down." is a lying git.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 2, 2013

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah it's been posted before, but if I saw that in a job application it would go right into the "Definitely interview!" stack.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

I love this. There's so much beautiful design going on in all sorts of hidden places. It's wonderful when it's finally exposed.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I have an iPhone for a user that discharges completely with nothing running in < 1h. Is the Apple Store going to give me grief if I try and take a corporate device in that has someone else's name on it for service?

Uninstall every single app on the phone. Then test again.

:10bux: says it's an app that keeps something stupid running in the background.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

The Expensive Hi-Fi skin is where it's at you guys.

:smuggo:

Such blasphemy.

evobatman: Did you figure out what was wrong with your SAN? you never responded to my reply on Skype. :ohdear:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Migishu posted:

ICQ number rememberation station: 27556444

2681xxx signing in.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

gently caress Tapes...

That is all.

My boss loves tapes soo much.

gently caress tapes.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Veeam 7 backs up directly to tape as of earlier this month? Whoo! Or something!

Holy loving shitballs! I'm so exited about this I'll probably be extremely disappointed when I get to test it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
To log off in Windows 8, click start, then the user name/icon on the top right, then "sign out".

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Ghost Mutt posted:

Looking through some DNS entries and uh...what

Go on, ping it. :v:

I've been trying to wrangle a ZendTo server into working, and I feel like running in molasses. Anyone know of another solution to sending large files and/or folders in and out of the company? Preferably Windows-based, but beggars can't be choosers.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

less than three posted:

Renew the domain, suspend the site with a message that is correct but makes them look bad. "Your business account has been suspended for delinquency. Please contact your provider to make billing arrangements."

The worse it looks on them, the quicker they'll want to sort it out. If you can make e-mail to them bounce back with a message of suspended for non payment, that's a bonus.

This is the correct answer.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
It's a wonderful day.

First printers (as usual)
then Adobe
and now Google wants me to make a goddamn Google account to assign a company CC to Google Wallet to pay for a renewal of Google Earth Pro. What the gently caress, Google?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

TWBalls posted:

What? Where do you work that allows allowed alcohol consumption while working? I've never worked anywhere where that was allowed. I always thought it was some Hollywood cliché, where they show an exec that has scotch in those fancy decanters in their office.

We have beer in the vending machines and a bottle of not-too-shabby scotch in the cupboard above the coffee maker. I can't recall the last time anyone had a beer with their lunch though, although there's usually some sort of get-together around 19:00 after the last shoot of a feature or film or something.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
No, you won't get an iPhone 5S if you break your iPhone 5. We have plenty of iPhone 4s in stock, and a few boxes of old HTC Desires that will do the job just fine if we run out of iPhones.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
X-Keys is the industry standard for broadcasting equipment.

The latest iteration of their drives are actually pretty good, but the springs on the keys tend to wear out after a few years.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm sort of new to IT, but at some point doesn't it become more cost effective to transfer everything to a physical medium and mail or even personally deliver the data?

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."
Andrew S. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks"

It was true when I read it first around 1995, it's still true now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

giant purple dildo of doom

So... Day of the Tentacle?

• Locked thread