Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Migration
Found this one and it seems interesting, but I just can't feel the game myself. Apparently it was released on the Game Crafter before coming to Kickstarter and I have no idea if that's a good or bad thing (though everything seems playtested and planned out which is good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yeah, that sounds like Uno with a few "Force the target player to draw up 2 cards" style cards added in. I'm not loving the art either...pass.

It's a more complex Uno with points. If it was more complex like Hearts/Spades which the points system seems to lean towards, it might be a little more interesting and would sit nicely next to Tichu. As it looks now though it's pretty much not worth it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

My friend linked me this and thankfully he already backed it for our group, Drinking Quest.

It looks like a slightly more complex Munchkin. Is this assessment correct?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just dropped money on The Fellowship (Paperback) and pray that I can find a group to run this with.

Gloomhaven looks super tempting as does The 7th Continent and they both cost about the same. I'm super wary about dropping $60+ on either (I'm even more pensive about going for minis over standees). Given that Gloomhaven already looks to have some play via Tabletop Simulator and such, what's the play like and does it seem worth it to drop the money for it as opposed to something like Descent? 7th Continent also looks good and the money seems to be mostly for the 400+ cards that comes with the game. Probably going to look at the rules to see if it is, and possibly how, clunky some of the things on it seem.

For new things, here's Argo which just popped up
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flatlinedgames/argo-by-bruno-faidutti-and-serge-laget?ref=category
It's a semi-cooperative game set on a space ship that's been invaded by aliens. Players control teams of astronauts as well as taking turns playing the enemy aliens. Players gain points by getting their astronauts into escape pods, aliens get points by eating humans. if everyone plays too dickishly, the board wins and everyone loses. The designers are Serge Laget and Bruno Faidutti. The former is also the designer of Ad Astra, Castle, Shadows Over Camelot and Mare Nostrum. The latter also designed Ad Astra and Castle as well as Citadels, Mission: Red Planet, Mascarade, Incan Gold/Diamant, and more. The game clocks in at ~$50 after shipping.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm watching the Rahdo Runs Through for 7th Continent, and it actually looks pretty cool; like a soloable Descent-like crawler game. The only things that are making me leery are the auto-death and lack of replayability.

It also seems like a rather busy game. Lots of icons for utterly specific tasks and a strong possibility of it going off of the table. There definitely looks to be a lack of repeatability in the base game though and may have less replay than Betrayal, even if it's a more solid game mechanically.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I'm picking up on that too.

Man, I just want a Descent-style delver that can be played solo and doesn't require a ton of bookkeeping. Is that too much to ask? :(

e: I think 7th Continent would work better as a sort of tabletop roguelike maybe?

Probably best as a video game so random locations are more guaranteed and modularity is easier

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13415575/the-great-dinosaur-rush-board-game

Saw this up a few days ago. It's been up since the beginning of the month and looks pretty cute and involves making your own stick dinosaurs. It still has 40 days to go, so there's tons of time left.

Innovation Deluxe also only has less than a week left, so it's near time to :getin: or :frogout:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'm absolutely in love with the game's theme and design concepts, but I'm concerned that it being marketed as a 'family' game means that it won't have much staying power with me. It's meeting its goal, though, so no reason for me not just watch out for when it gets a retail release and see its reception.

It's probably just that it's not quite so deep. It reminds be a bit of Hey! That's My Fish with extra bits which isn't a bad thing. The replay value might be a bit of an issue

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord Frisk posted:

I hope the next "in" thing is ray gun gothic. All kinds of giant space ants and 50 foot women attacking cities and poo poo. Maybe some death robots?

The Dieselpunk aesthetic is woefully underutilized

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

So did anyone try the Quick Start adventure?

Curious about this myself. I vaguely remember someone bringing it up in an F&F thread about how the not-Europe settings were fairly terrible and the mechanics were a bit wonky, but I don't remember it myself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JesterOfAmerica posted:

I also like Crawford, I honestly cant decide between Godbound or 7th Sea though.

I'd still like a trip report on the quick play that's available.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Reading through the 7th Sea Quickstart ( I put in $60 because the amount of material seems worth it and I'm tempted to put in $20 more for the deck from the next tier maybe)
Things of note
  • The new die mechanic is a little better than roll-keep, but it involves a bit of math and intuition to resolve it quickly
  • Knowledge (type), Profession (type), Perform (type) and Weapon (type) are all skills
  • "Tempt - Use tempt when you bribe someone to do something for you that they really shouldn’t. Use tempt when you convince someone to give you a little “one on one alone time.”" It's probably less skeevy than I think it is.
  • "The GM and Consequences - The GM has a huge responsibility.The players came to your table to have fun.Your job is to make sure that happens.You could use Consequences to make the Heroes’ lives more interesting and dramatic, or you could use them to simply screw the Heroes over.
    Don’t choose the second option. Ever."
  • Opportunities and Consequences are an interesting dynamic, if a bit tricky to sort of think of Opportunities on the fly beyond the normal success condition, imo. Consequences are relatively easier fwiw but spending Raises to open up opportunities for other players is also interesting
  • Flair is stunting from Exalted. It only adds one die, but counts (RAW) for any description beyond "I roll X" it also counts when using a skill for the first time in a session
  • The Death Spiral is an interesting HP tracker, but it seems a bit confusing without explanation and the name is a bit melodramatic (though appropriate for this sort of game I guess)
  • The Samaratian Commonwealth is supposed to be Poland which I probably missed
  • The new Dueling rules are also interesting in that they generate a bit of back and forth, but it's very much a one-on-one thing so it can potentially drag if the player or GM don't finish in a timely manner
  • There is a Left-Handed Advantage

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

Given that scorpion girl story a few posts up, I bet it is just as skeevy as it sounds. If anything I feel like you're under selling the skeevy.

That's the entire description for that skill and unless there's more in the sample adventure (I don't usually read those except for task resolution examples), it's a little up in the air.

Also, a number of the rules still seem to be up in the air such as bonuses for Ranks 3, 4, and 5 for Skills as well as Dueling as a subsystem in general. One of the skill bonuses, in particular, gives extra Raises by making sets of 15 rather than sets of 10 which can create a bit more of an optimization headache for players. Then there's rerolling of dice and so forth and Raises are meant to be a resolution currency so the GM has to keep track of it for each player since problems seem to be presented to the party as groups rather than as individuals.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, it's my biggest frustration with Cortex+ is that the core of the system seems to be based around making the odds as opaque as possible. The real problem with systems like this is that they don't make metagaming less important, they make it more important, because those who actually can work out the odds will often have a notable advantage over those that don't, as opposed to a system where everybody understands the odds and nobody's left out.

Of course, it's also a way to try and cover over weaknesses in the system itself by making them less obvious. Mind, I don't think designers do that deliberately, but if you're worried about people metagaming the system, that's probably an issue with the system, not the people doing the metagaming.

Additionally, unless the devs know the math behind their own system, balance becomes harder on their end as well and increases the likelihood of over or underpowered advancements being included with no awareness of the degree of over or underpoweredness.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

QuantumNinja posted:

For what it's worth, after more mathematical investigation (i.e., writing code), the system seems pretty resilient to producing plenty of "optimal" answers. For example, the roll 9,7,7,6,5,4,2,2 has 167 unique arrangements that yield 3 Raises and 0 unique arrangements that yield 4 Raises. The arrangement 9,7,7,7,5,4,4,2 actually has a solution that will yield 4 Raises, but it's the obvious one.

In general, a good heuristic seems to be to sort the dice and simply pair off from the inside-out and then "crunch together" smaller results you get from this.

That said, I haven't considered the 15-case, which seems like it will add a lot of complexity. I also haven't considered the minimality restriction of the system, which seems to state that you cannot add arbitrary dice to a roll for the sake of using them. This matters because of the GM buying your orphan dice. For example, in the first sequence above, these will both get you 3 hits:

[4]  ,[5,9],[2,2,6],[7,7]
[2,2],[4,9],[5,6],  [7,7]

The latter, however, gives the GM a chance to trade one Hero Point for two Danger Points, so it's a worse arrangement.

The system isn't impossible, but it's got a lot of serious gotchas for new players and for optimal arrangements. Also, the relative value of adding another die is... hard to compute. It's obviously better, but it's much more difficult now to compute the relative merit of buying up several skills versus buying up the trait you most often use with them.

E: On a more philosophical note, I don't think that making math opaque to push the player out of metagaming is the right approach. Plenty of games manage to be story-first, fun, and always follow the fiction without baroque math and time-consuming roll resolution to get there.

here's another thing that's relevant regarding 7th Sea's current system: There's no defensive rolling. In a typical "Risk," one of the consequences might be taking damage from a source. Raises rolled can be used to mitigate that damage. The way the rules are written in the quickstart, this is not done when facing "Brute Squads" which are a collective enemy mob (a single enemy that's not a major enemy could also fall under this). Brute Squads have only one stat: Strength. That number is both how much damage they deal and how many raises are needed to defeat it. Presumably, it's possible to spend Raises to avoid damage, but the way the resolution system works right now, that'd be a useless action.

Wick has this to say about "I Dodge" as an action:

quote:

“I Dodge”
You may notice there is no “Dodge” skill. This is intentional. We don’t want any player to ever say, “I dodge.” Why?
Because it’s boring. It’s dull. It’s oatmeal. It’s just as boring as a player saying, “I roll to hit.”
Instead of saying, “I don’t want to get hit,” explain how your character acts to avoid getting hit. Don’t just “dodge.” Instead, cut the rope holding the chandelier and swing up to the roof. Jump under your enemy’s blade so you are standing behind him. Kick the candelabra’s hot wax into your enemy’s eyes as he thrusts his sword toward you.
You don’t want to say, “I dodge” because that just maintains the status quo of the scene. A success in that case means that nothing changes. The person who tried to hit you is just going to try to hit you again and you’re just going to say, “I dodge” again. Instead, use your action to change the circumstance of the Scene. Create distance so they can’t stab you or put them in a situation where they don’t want to anymore. Throw a table on them. Make the other people in the room laugh at them for trying to stab you. Demoralize them. Dodge so effortlessly that your opponent thinks it’s futile.
Look at your Skills and figure out creative ways to use them.
Be creative. Don’t be passive. Don’t use your risk to just say “No.” Use your Risk to take action.
Edit: There are some good points wrapped in this, but to penalize the ability to make defensive actions by requiring them to be actively interacting with the opponent is a bit suspect.

What's particularly nasty are Special Brute Squads who have abilities that are activated by spending Danger Points. One of these abilities allows them to deal their damage before being reduced. The book lists Brute Squads of Strength 5, 8 and 10. As there's no general encounter rules or character generation rules, it's not super clear as to how big an appropriate Squad might be or what the typical health of a Character is.

Villains are the other broad enemy type in the game and are generally meant to be Bosses or Sub-Bosses. They have two stats: Influence and Strength. Strength is mostly the same as it is with Brute Squads except instead of it counting how many Wounds the Villain can take, it's how many Wounds are necessary to inflict before the Villain receives a Dramatic Wound to a Villain and how many Dramatic Wounds they can take before being defeated. It's not clear how overflow damage works based on the Quickstart. Also, the more rounds spent in combat with a Villain, the more Dramatic Wounds a villain takes when they take one (i.e. A Strength 5 Villain that takes 6 damage on Round 1 loses 1 DW. That same amount of damage in Round 3 means they take 3 DWs). Influence is the other stat and is far more annoying. It's essentially the Villain's currency for getting more Brute Squads, acquiring more Influence and doing other annoying things (like escaping!). Players can reduce this by basically harming the Villain's networks (and may require explicit notification to the players) or stopping a Villain's Scheme. Schemes are how a Villain acquires more Influence. A successful Scheme doubles the amount of Influence invested in it and an unsuccessful one is a total loss of investment. There's no rules as to how the players are made aware of these Schemes so it's possible for a Villain to engage and profit from a Scheme offscreen and the players are just left unaware of it with no recourse until after the fact. Villains can also make Risk rolls. It's not mentioned what situation causes these rolls or what the effects of them are.

Without extra abilities, Maximum Wounds that can be taken by a player is 32. This is based on a character being able to take 4 Dramatic Wounds and the amount of wounds necessary to be able to deal a Dramatic wound being Resolve+2 (so 4*[Resolve+3]). Dramatic Wounds are basically checkpoints that give players or the GM bonuses.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 29, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think 7th Sea 2e's dice mechanic is very hard? Seems pretty simple, honestly, to sort groups of 10.

It's the consequences of inefficiency as well as combining that with sorting for sets of 15 at the same time that make it tricky.

With almost all die systems, there's only one permutation of output per roll. Regardless of odds calculation, one roll makes one result without the need to hunt for optimal results or avoid unoptimal results.

Edit: given the current state of the mechanics, I dropped my pledge to 40 since at least the setting has promise, even if the system is lacking

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 1, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't think you understood my point. I am in favor of it not being trivial to optimize, because optimization and the gameplay it drives bore me and the attitudes behind it generally detract from my game experience.

It's not even about optimizing a character. It's about optimizing the outcome of a given roll based on what it's results could be. I don't think there's a die system that actually makes this a situation. There are two consequences as of now in the system for poor optimization of a roll outcome: 1. Number of raises (success) in a roll and 2. Number of leftover dice accessible for the GM to trade for Dread Points in exchange for one Hero Point.

As an example (a big edge case), take a roll of 8,5,1,1,1,1,1. There'll only ever be one raise from this roll, but depending on how the dice are grouped is the difference between the GM given a ton of resources to go to town on PCs in exchange for a single point of a more meager one for one trade. The mentioned heuristic of adding smallest+biggest actually fails here.

The best outcome is: 5,1,1,1,1,1 and the 8 left over (a heuristic of packing smaller numbers first is the best method here).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Covok posted:

Also, obfuscating math never lasts. Give nerds long enough after 7th Sea's launch and, just like roll and keep, they'll be a probability calculator for it.

It's a dumb solution to a problem. Optimixation fans aren't a problem that needs solutions, anyway.

The solution to Optimizers is not making it more difficult, but making it more trivial.

Presumably Wick has a table showing the odds on how many raises are possible. I may presume too much though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh, hey, look. A video from the devs pointing out that building raises is a thing that literally takes a couple seconds, because it is first grade math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sSDB_jLSTs

Also, another sourcebook added, this time for the New World's Colonies as the $900k stretch goal. We're already at nine books, so this would round it out for 10 and it's only $60k off with 11 days left.

I'd assume the assistant dev of all people should be able to figure out those sets quickly. Now let's see a y'alls of players of varying experience levels do the same thing and see if it does or does not interrupt the flow of the game. There's also playing online which can make it tricky to make sets without a physical aid.

I'm still backing the game fwiw, but it's basically for the setting pdfs at this point since I'd really only get a physical book if the system was relatively sound.

Actually, I'm curious if the math would change all that much if one just summed all of the dice and divided by 10 to get the total number of raises. There's likely more than a few rolls where this gives a better result than the dice would allow, but would the difference be significant enough to upset the balance of the game? If not, then it might be a much simpler way to run a game (at least over Roll20)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Chinese restaurant supply stores should have lazy susans of various sizes in stock. Even for the "Goliath", just get a regular sized one and put the support board in top to make up the size

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Despite my total disinterest in OSR stuff, Godbound seems to be Actually Good. And mostly freely text-complete.

It's 'OSR' in the sense that it has DnD stats, descending AC, saves, there's HP and HD (but the implementation of these is very different), and there's Fort/Ref/Will saves (but they have different names). Other than that it's pretty much totally it's own thing - the OSR stats are more like a 'compatibility layer' so you can steal a DnD dungeon or monster and shove it into Godbound.

Basically if you're the kind of person who thought that Exalted's setting and ideas sounded cool, and then you actually looked at the rules and how it plays and went "uhhhhh..." then Godbound is worth looking at.

I still have a bit of an issue of when they mean to use straight damage vs. checking the damage table in the text. I may have just not read the distinction close enough though. Also, any system that uses a d20 resolution system tends to trigger the D&D alarms in my head that means to stay away.

That being said, looking at the resolution system and how the god abilities are allocated really does solve a number of quality of life issues that Exalted had as well as paring down some of the more superfluous and tedious abilities and streamlining everything

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's no way we're not getting an anachronistic version of Ching Shih, I imagine.

Her and Zheng He are two of China's most notable mariners so adding them anachronistically would be necessary.

It's also a shame the Mongols were out of power by that time period too since they don't get enough respect.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's not going to stop Wick from throwing them in.

We'll probably get the world's most anachronistic mix of Jin dynasty, Wu Zetian and Mongols invading from the North for China, and then generic 17th century Edo with youkai thrown in for Japan.

It depends on how he modifies the geographies and which dynasty he or whomever he chooses to write the setting picks. It's likely that a number of dynasties and eras will have facets smooshed together to try and maximize the number of figures they can put in. Fwiw, the time period that the game is supposed to take place (~1588 iirc) is during the Japanese invasion of Korea. On the Japanese side, is the Sengoku era, Japan's own Warring States era. On the Chinese side is the Ming Dynasty which one one of the most prosperous and marked with a significant rise in its position through trade including the treasure voyages of Zheng He. The Mongols are basically out of power at this point and fwiw, in a game about piracy and sailing, mounted raiders aren't 100% in theme. There'd likely be a little bit of Edo and Qing Dynasty stuff mixed in, but this period already has enough potential setting seeds.

I have no idea about how India would play out as well as SE Asia and the rest of the East Indies since those histories are a bit out of my sphere of interest.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

John Wick is not renowned for creating accurately-researched fantasy settings.

We might actually get a China split into three different kingdoms so he can showcase different dynasties, though.

Isn't he getting writers for some of the other setting books like the African one and the New World ones?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JesterOfAmerica posted:

I dont know about the New World but yes for the Africa one.

So if he's getting a writer for the Africa book, I'd assume he'd pick up a writer for Asia and parts of the New World at least.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kitelion/dethroned-the-card-game?ref=nav_search

So the president of my university's game development club just (finally) launched his card game on Kickstarter. It kinda plays like fast-paced Mafia with a lot more vigorous card slapping. The profit margins are laughably low (I think he's making like $1 per deck , if even that) so it's more a passion project than anything, but the game is really really solid. Lemme know if you have any questions or feedback you'd like me to ask or give.

Also he has the rules up so you could test it out before you back if you want!

Looks pretty cool. A bit chaotic, but simple enough. Hopefully there are rules to integrate the two sets for 5-8p

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

The two sets integrate pretty seamlessly. We usually mixed and matched between the two sets rather heavily, and our play groups were usually around 5-6 players. It's really the weapon decks that are the limiting factor for how many players there are, as each player needs a deck, and there are only four per set.

I meant like suggested setups for 5+ players to restrain some semblance of balance between the types that want to keep things alive versus the things that want others dead.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cocolo/kadomaru-the-r-line-card-sleeves?ref=nav_search

So this is a thing. Idk if curved corners are something that would be in demand elsewhere, but they do look nicer than similar typical sleeves. As part of their addons, they're also selling their games and an alternate size of sleeves. Yes, it does look like they're using Kickstarter as an alternate storefront.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I find them really uncomfortable.

Same, but less so. If I played tcgs, I might consider it if I saw it in a store since they're priced at $3 or 4 for 100, but because of shipping, it's a little exorbitant. Using the KS as a means to buy their games otoh isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oriongates posted:

I've heard that Japanese TTRPGers often rent out the private party rooms in karaoke clubs, which always struck me as more or less ideal (or at least the best you're going to get). You've got a private place, nice table. food and drink on order. Relatively cheap prices.

That sort of set-up would be basically untenable if the business catered exclusively to gamers, but since the main income is from karaoke you don't have to worry about whether there's enough nerds in your area to keep the business afloat.

Not only that, you can be loud as gently caress and since it's a Karaoke place, no one will give a poo poo since the room next door might be twice as loud because they're actually singing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

So how 'bout that Pirate World? The creator has logged into Kickstarter on the past few days but no update since September, backer comments are going ignored, and the website linked for the creator is now 404. It's only $15 but still, at this point I'd be happy for the goon to reach out to me or anyone on this forum to help, because Jesus.

Same. It's really disappointing, especially since Dungeon World as a whole is on the wane in terms of popularity afaict compared to when it was pitched.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

A simple link with a brief description would probably have sufficed.

A simple post like that wouldn't be as enticing though and it does seem like an interesting concept to build a system around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If you want to play a super hard game, just play Ghost Stories. I imagine the win percentage on that game is in the low single digits.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

The rise of specialized food trucks with truly radical ideas about cuisine has been a great thing.

There is a game in this somewhere.

Edit: Ninja Burger/Twisted Metal mash up. :getin:

Area control with multiple restaurants/trucks under your employ. Each has a specific type of cuisine which affects payout and level of control in an area. Restaurants are fixed where they're built, but can pull in more money than the mobile trucks. Both can have up to two types of cuisines (i.e. Fusion) to try and maximize appeal or adapt to changing tastes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SaviourX posted:

That food truck game sounds like something I am going to be into. Maybe make a design challenge here and over in BGG?

O/T: Canada has donair (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab#Canada) in every mid to large city, which is a kind of greek/leb fusion of things. Along with shawarma; it rules.

Given that the concept took me ~3 minutes to cook up with the prompts: Food Truck and Euro, I'm sure someone with more experience could whip up something better.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

I mean, yeah, I think more people backed for the new fluff than they did new rules. Roll these dice and add up tens? gently caress that poo poo, tell me about the lost Roanoke colony but add weird magic & secret societies.

That's why I backed it.

If the system turns out to be really bad, I'll probably look into how to port the setting into Fellowship, Reign or FantasyCraft (or even Legends of the Wulin for a level of complexity between the latter two)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Plague Inc.
Based on the video game of the same name and designed by the video game's creator comes Plague Inc. This is a first created as both a Kickstarter and board game so those are two big red flags. Game is set at $30 so it's not too bad.
Every player is a different plague and the goal is to infect and kill off as many countries as possible. At the outset, the game looks okay. The rolling to kill off countries is kind of worrisome, even if it's roll-under. I'd prefer a more deterministic mechanic, but that's the only aspect where die rolling comes into play. New countries/regions come up each turn and the deck is random so it may be the case that countries come up that make it difficult for players to spread. Early game this isn't quite an issue as everyone has the ability to take one of their pieces and jump it into another region instead of adding more. It is a lost turn however. The game has a set minimum amount of turns with it likely not extending too far barring random chance. Nothing about it looks too amazing, but it seems decent enough as an entry to medium level game.

Dragon Hoard
A localization of a Japanese game with a reported 19,000 units sold. No info on complete rules and there's only 16 days left without a play video showing how it's played. It has music though! It's not even at 20% funded so it's likely not going to get funded.
Other note: Game costs $50 and they haven't been able to get stateside shipping to anything reasonable so it's currently $35 on top of the price of the game

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I forgot to mention the safety notice about the figures containing trace amounts of lead so I assume the figures it shows the game coming with are made from pewter and not silver plastic or something.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 12, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mojo Jojo posted:

And it's funded. Hopefully they won't make much more or they'll have to provide physical rewards. Because having physical stretches on an all digital campaign is the best idea

Tbf, the goal was $1000 with two people pledging at the $200 goal that gives a spot (and one for a friend!) in a biweekly game by the creator, $150 to name a main character in a forthcoming novel that's part of the setting, and two for $100 for an "architect PDF."

Since this is funded already, I'm sure the creator is ready to spend 20 sessions with at least four random people and running sessions for them in his own game unless he doesn't because he doesn't have to do any of that if he can't or doesn't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

But what IS Outer Edge?

• Locked thread