Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just got in on Magnum Opus, which is a pretty neat-seeming deckbuilder. It's got about a day and a half left and I thought there may be some interest. It's from GameSalute, so I know there's some non-US folks that makes this an automatic non-starter, sadly.

The idea is that you're an alchemist trying to create the Philosopher's Stone through research and making money through using simpler alchemy and selling reagents. You try to build up the tools you need on the table in front of you, then making reactions. It reminds me a little of how Briefcase works. The discoveries are randomized, so you don't know what's in a given spot on the research grid until you react the two reagents that make it up. Looks a little convoluted to set up, but the randomness of setup could lead to some interesting strategies.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

dwarf74 posted:

My Fate Dice came in the mail today! Very nice. Very, very nice.

Yeah, I got mine too, I'm very impressed. The iridescent ones are really attractive. I don't know if I like them better than my Chessex Borealis dice, but they're really pretty.

King's Forge has a few hours left and I think they're out of stuff to upgrade. They just reached tuckboxes for all of the dice and cards, so now they have all of the dice being different styles, an optional gameboard, an expansion of new items and gather cards, and tons of other quality-of-life improvements. It IS still Game Salute, which I know sucks for a lot of folks, but this game looks pretty fun from the review videos I've seen and the art is shaping up to be pretty slick.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

berzerkmonkey posted:

Why would this be?

It was mostly a heads up for non-US posters. Like Sefer said, they either don't ship internationally or it costs an arm and a leg. This one's 35 (almost the cost of the game) bucks to ship to Europe. I just wanted to flag it out since I've seen a few folks saying they don't even look if they see Game Salute.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
In my tradition of shilling for Artipia, they have a new Kickstarter up for a game called Shadows Over the Empire. It's set in the world Archon uses, so the art is that really cool clockwork style from that game. The rules are up, but it seems like a pretty straightforward influence-control game with different factions trying to get control of a population of people.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jimbozig posted:

I don't consider art when I think of buying a PDF. If I buy a PDF I just want to check out the game, skim it, and see if it looks good. If I want to run it, I'll buy the book. If I think the art is great and the game is great, I'll buy the book to have on my shelf. But really, I care so little about art in a PDF that I'm certainly not going to pay $40 for a pdf (or a pair of pdfs) even if you reanimate Leonardo Da Vinci and get him to sketch you some cool airships.

For me, art is all about the physical copies.

Yeah, this is basically my approach. It's why I went in for hardbacks of stuff like Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok and New Fire. Those are GORGEOUS books and I'm really glad I picked them up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

inklesspen posted:

I've backed it, but I find it very weird that for a property based so extensively around magical books, they don't have any mockups of the book hardcopy. I mean this is probably one of the few properties where you could get people to shell out $100 or so to an unproven company for a leatherbound "pre-distressed" edition, or special fountain pens to fill out your character sheet, or whatnot. And they're not going there. Why?

Hell, it'd work on me. Apparently there's a leather slipcover for one of the crazy-high tiers, but I want a 'loving fancy hardcover' Myst RPG book, but think several hundred dollars is a bit silly.

The thing with dice is that they'd probably cost less if they got a lot of people to buy in for them. Having to order a handful is likely going to be more hassle than ordering a few dozen.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
November's stickied thread, obviously. Centerpiece - An off-the-board-roll-fine of five feathers has been applied.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I actually hopped on Pandante for a deluxe the other day, looks really fun.

I also threw in for one of these for my Bag of Holding. They're pretty cute metal d20 pins in a bunch of colors, and they'll ship by Christmas.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 29, 2013

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I got my copy of Hegemonic and (most of) my coins. They really over-packed the box (to save on shipping, I assume), so the inner box has a shattered edge. I sent a message about the coins, since I'm missing some sleeves, too. They did split out larger coin orders, so I'm expecting the rest to kind of show up. I'm not expecting much about the box, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if they had any ideas. Game has really nice components.

I probably won't be backing anything from Minion that isn't the most barebones thing possible. The coins are nice, but the whole thing was a complete clusterfuck, transparency or no.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

InShaneee posted:

This is looking like it's going to be my first kickstarter failure. It's seven months late (after claiming to be able to do a 3-month turnaround), and his current excuse for not releasing the game is, I poo poo you not, that he is on the run from bandits. I couldn't make this up if I tried.

I backed two games from Machine Age (Flatpack and the micro-games collection) and have gotten the PDFs for the first one and the second's effectively cancelled. I think my books got lost in the mail or something, but I got pushed off because apparently shipping me a new book was too much money. I was pretty surprised at the positive response to Apotheosis Drive X when they barely shipped one Kickstarter and basically called the second stillborn. It looked cool, but I wasn't confident enough to give them even more money.

Overall I've only had a few Kickstarters fall apart on me. Always/Never/Now is done, I'm just waiting on physical stuff a year and a half later. Machine Age has had actual real life issues, so I can't be too bent about that, but I was one of the folks that gave Mike Nystul money and we all know how that went. David Hill got robbed at a convention, Mike Nystul became a travelling wizard. I feel like there's a difference there.

On the other hand, I think I'm finally done dealing with Minion Games, just ended up paying the shipping for a replacement box for Hegemonic after they overpacked a box and shattered the bottom of the one they shipped me first. I could see buying another game from them, I think.

I have to say, though, it's really cool seeing guys like the designer of Xia: Legends of a Drift system see his dream come to life. He's really engaged with his backers and didn't bite off more than he could chew with stretch goals. He's gone from a game prototype to being in production in a really short period of time.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

A kickstarter for Coup: Reformation has been launched.

(with a bunch of typos and no actual description of the contents of the expansion)

We've played with the rules from the original's version of the expansion and it adds some really interesting strategy to the game. The basic premise is that you have a loyalty card that you or other players can pay into a pool to change. That money can be claimed by saying you don't have the Duke. You can only target offensive actions on players of the other faction. Once you're down to one faction, that rule disappears.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GrandpaPants posted:

Among The Stars is being reprinted. I'll repeat this question in the board games thread, but does the expansion make this worth playing over 7 Wonders? I also like how there's exactly one backer for one the tiers, and it's not a giant vanity tier either.

I haven't done it with more than 4 players yet, but the new buildings and the ambassador mechanic make the game really interesting. I honestly don't think I'd like it with more than 4. I much prefer 7 Wonders at 3 or 4 players more, too, so take that for what it's worth. I like having hands come back instead of just vanishing, since it makes you think about what other people are going to take out of the hand.

The tile-placement part is what really makes it shine for me. It really encourages you to leave spaces for killer placements later. You don't really get that strategic crunch in 7 Wonders since you're mostly just trying to get the card you need for your overall strategy.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mehuyael posted:

After backing out from Catacombs I decided to look into other projects that might be interesting, and ran into 2 games.

Among the Stars is a quick (or so they say) card-drafting game where each player plays a race in a galaxy that's currently at peace. The races are building spacestations all around the galaxy, and whichever race builds the most successful station wins. The game has already been printed once, but now they're trying to get a reprint with some higher quality components it sounds like. You can get the base game, the ambassadors expanion (which adds the titular ambassadors), and a pack of all the promos they've had before for $100, plus 20 shipping for outside the EU/US/Canada, or you can get the base game or the expansions separately. The game mechanics sound good, except that I'm not too sure I like that it ends in 4 rounds. But I guess they really want games to be short.

AtS takes about as long as a game of 7 Wonders, really, maybe a little longer. The setup and cleanup are a little more involved, though, if you add the expansion locations. It's one of my favorites in my collection and I've posted a lot about it in this thread and the board gaming thread, if you want some more details on how it works.

I don't think any of the add-ons are really essential. I got sleeves, but that's about it. I was thinking about the tuck boxes, it just sounds like a hassle.

They also added an add-on based on a request I made (the promos rulebook), apparently. So take my opinion with a grain of salt, of you like.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 16, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mehuyael posted:

I dunno, if they're putting up these tuckboxes for sale then I'm a bit doubtful of how organized the game boxes will be. I'm still interested in the game, but I think I'll wait for a printing where I can see the insides of a box first.

If it's anything like the existing stuff, then there's no internal box organization. I found it kind of a pain in the rear end. The initial game had a LOT of empty space in the box, the expansions helped that quite a bit. I can post some pictures of my setup, if anyone wants.

I ended up with some 4x6" bags and sorted the cards by type. One bag for each color, one for the setup stuff, and two for the special locations. Those bags are fantastic for board games, though, I use them for everything and they do a good job. I ended up with a set of the Minion games CAP coins for my copy, though. The ones Artpia's doing are new.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just hopped onto a deductive card game called Antidote. Premise is that you're researchers in a lab exposed to a toxin and you're trying to figure out the antidote out of a set by trading for info with other players and deducing which cards are the antidote. Plus, for 16 bucks including shipping, it's kind of hard to go wrong with.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I didn't catch this until the other day, but Artipia's new game, New Dawn is up on Kickstarter.

Looks to be a bit of a mini-4x, you're exploring, building bases, scuffling over turf, and producing resources to generate victory points with. The rules are available and the game seems pretty straightforward.

As usual, Antonis Papantoniou is doing the art and it's really impressive. There's a bunch of preview stuff, but if you've seen Among the Stars or Archon, you'll know what you're getting into on this one.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'll admit I've been giving Metamorphosis Alpha more leeway since Jim hasn't been a jerk about the whole thing, but yeah after a certain point you do have to start saying "okay, it's been 2+ years, what the hell."

At least nobody from the project became a travelling wizard.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just got got my copy of Magnum Opus, a sort of research-based deckbuilder. Just played a quick solo game to get the rules down and I think it's going to be interesting. Setup's about on-par for a deckbuilder. Less work than Legendary, though. Plus it game with some really nice tuckboxes for the cards that look like alchemical texts.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

senrath posted:

I got my copy yesterday and it was missing the rulebook and the dice, so I haven't been able to actually play it yet. Other people in the comments are missing the majority of their cards. I'm wondering how exactly Game Salute is going to respond to this tomorrow.

Wow, that's impressively bad. My copy seemed fine, actually got to try out a full 2p game today, actually.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My hardcover Guide to Glorantha books just showed up today. Holy gently caress are they heavy. I'll see what I can do about getting some pictures on Friday.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've only really been burned by Always/Never/Now, Axes and Anvils, the Machine Age projects, and the Kittens in a Blender expansion. Not too bad out of 93 projects. I'm also still waiting on my physical stuff for Inverse World, but I had a copy with notes and such, so that's still being worked on.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Scyther posted:

People actually wanted an expansion to Kittens in a Blender? :psyduck:

I don't anymore! I didn't realize exactly how bad the game actually was until recently and the KS was in 2012. They STILL haven't shipped. Least it wasn't a lot of money.

inklesspen posted:

The Machine Age people basically got their entire lives upended by breakins and theft, as well as existing publishers declining to honor their contracts, IIRC. I'm sad, but not surprised that this has turned into delays.

Yeah, I don't hold it against them. I had some contact with David last summer since my Flatpack book got lost in the mail and I still haven't gotten since. I guess they were waiting on the money for another run. I just gave up on it, honestly.

On that topic, whatever happened with Apotheosis Drive X?

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 9, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

Same deal, really. Delayed from thefts, printers, and moving to Japan.

Man, David Hill must have pissed off some sort of elder god or something. That is some seriously poo poo luck.

At least he's not Mike Nystul, I guess.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I got the Cairn pdf which surprised the hell out of me.

You mean the one that Nystul let someone else finish because he was a 'travelling wizard' at the time.

I still think that's hysterical. If I ever need to couch-surf, I'm totally calling it that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

neongrey posted:

Yes, but isn't this the man who refuses to release his products in PDF?

Everything for Torchbearer and Mouse Guard is out in PDF. It's just Burning Wheel that's not, I think. I could be wrong, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which, apparently Sean K. Reynolds is apparently going to be doing a Kickstarter for a new RPG. It'll be interesting to see how much of it is 3.Path.

I wonder if there'll be an MMO stretch goal.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just from my list of stuff since 2011 that I haven't seen Edit: posted in someone elses list: Posthuman Pathways, Grim World, Motobushido, Fate of the Norns, and Our Last Best Hope.

I'd argue with Always/Never/Now being done. I still haven't gotten my physical copy. I don't think anyone has.

Edit: Clarified things.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 24, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

malkav11 posted:

Our Last Best Hope is on sale on Drive Thru RPG, has been in a Bundle of Holding and has an expansion, so I would hope you've at least gotten a PDF. Same with Motobushido, minus the expansion. I never go for physical books so I don't have any idea if any of those have shipped. (Especially since the only one of those I actually Kickstarted was Grim World.)

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know Grim World and Motobushido shipped, because I got my physical copies a while back.

I meant seen posted in people's lists, I'll clarify that post.

A/N/N is still a no-show and no-news for like 8 months.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The guys behind the Root Dice are doing an expansion, archetypes. Color-coded woods for various adventuring archetypes, with matching dyed leather pouches. I'm pretty sure I've never had a Kickstarter fulfilled more rapidly. They had stuff out within a few weeks. The dice are really nice and look really cool.

They have a few days left on this one, so I thought I'd give them some promotion since they're cool dudes and have a good track record.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got my copy of Xia: Legends of a Drift System today! I'll work on getting some pictures soon, because the game is really pretty and game out looking awesome.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm still waiting on my written-in copy of the base book. :argh:

Yeah, same here.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just hopped on Riders: A Game About Cheating Doomsday. I just got in for the PDFs, but I like the premise, at least. Working against both heaven and hell to stave off doomsday sounds like it could be fun. It's got about 2 days left, might be worth checking out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Plague of Hats posted:

Rulebook and I are "ringleaders" because he saw us both talking about it once or twice I guess.

What's it like to be the leader of a internet bullying ring?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like how it moves the BACK THIS PROJECT button halfway up if you aren't fully scrolled past the upper frame.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
In an actual game, that yellow thing is just a pillar, painted yellow and covered in stickers, used as an insurance policy. In the new edition? I dunno, is there a card for it?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

You always post such useful stuff, it's like a superpower or something.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd just like to point out that Far West is supposed to be "released" a week from today. That's GMS's self-imposed release date.

Carry on.

You really need to watch this libelous slander, EM. This gangstalking, bullying behavior is unacceptable.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am gaming history's greatest monster.

Better than literal Hitler, but worse than figurative Hitler, at least.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I still don't have my hard copies of Inverse World, it's pretty silly. It's no Axes and Anvils, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Bad Munki posted:

Huh, I've had mine for ages, it's sitting on my nightstand.

I'm still waiting on my customized one (which is apparently including my other clean hardcopy), specifically. The last update was back in November that they were 80% done with that stuff.

• Locked thread