Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

The Supreme Court posted:

Here's my kickstarter: Pirate World! It's an hour in, but has had an awesome response so far!

It's a sourcebook for Dungeon World/ Fate Core where you steal a ship, sail an ocean filled with lovecraftian monsters and flee from the law. It's filled to the brim with pretty unique content and should look beautiful too!

If only I was running a pirate-themed Dungeon World game.. oh, wait, I am! This looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Am I missing something on Iron Edda? It's $35 for the hardcopy+shipping in the US, but only $25 to ship the book outside the US? That seems backwards to me.

It looked like the shipping will be paid later for the non-US backers, through DTRPG. I haven't seen a kickstarter do that before.

Slabtown Games and Robin Laws are getting in on the tablet gaming scene with StoryScape. It sounds pretty interesting: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/829385949/storyscape-digital-roleplaying-system

It sounds very ambitious, but a nicely integrated tablet/rules system does sound pretty appealing. I would like to see a bit more of the system they have in mind before committing to it, though.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Just as one more person, I don't much like early-bird reward tiers. As mentioned above, it's really hard to shake that feeling that "I could have got this for cheaper and that cheap price must be closer to what it's worth." That was one of the things that really turned me off to Cthulhu Wars; it had a whole sliding scale of early bird rewards. It's not rational but customer psychology usually isn't.

I am okay with how Luke Crane has done some of his, where there's a limited selection of signed books or whatever and more unlock over the course of the kickstarter. That lets the people who are obsessively interested get something special without making everyone else feeling cheated.

Also, for goon-run kickstarters, any word on the Deck of Legends? It's been pretty quiet for a while.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/metalweavedesigns/the-baby-bestiary This is a cute idea (a calendar of baby fantasy monsters) and the samples look great, but a two sentence "Risks and Challenges" section doesn't actually fill me with confidence.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

malkav11 posted:

I've had both Sentinels-related projects (Shattered Timelines and Tactics) ship -early-, but generally speaking I completely ignore the estimates on the KS page, yeah.

I'll be interested to see if the later waves of kickstarters have more realistic release estimates. At a Feng Shui panel at GenCon, Robin Laws mentioned that they have a definite ship date in mind and are going to be avoiding stretch goals that push out the release of the final product. But those kinds of headaches have plagued a lot of actual publishing companies in addition to the much smaller scale indy products.

I remember how surprised I was to get the Delta Green fiction collection within a couple months of the KS wrapping up; the stretch goal volume still isn't out, but I'm not too concerned because I already got to read one book and those stories had to be written after the KS finished.

In general, backing at digital levels seems like a way to minimize frustration - basically every project I'm still waiting on is because of hold-ups with the physical production and distribution.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I haven't listened to that episode yet, but they've played it on One Shot Podcast, so it's at least in a playable state and not complete vaporware.

Well, they played Night's Black Agents (which was released a while ago) with Ken Hite doing a Dracula Dossier intro adventure. Since Dracula Dossier is more of a campaign guide plus the "unredacted" version of the novel Dracula, there's two separate parts to it. It sounded like from the last update that they're moving towards completion on the writing of both and were trying to leave plenty of time for editing, layout, and printing.

So I don't know that it's running late so far, but if you are curious about what you'll be getting, there was a fairly lengthy preview of the Dracula Dossier portion as part of the kickstarter itself.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

General Ironicus posted:

I'm in that! I don't remember how much of the adventure was working from Ken's notes, and how much was off the top of his head, but like people have mentioned the book is coming along pretty well according to all recent information.

It was a lot of fun to listen to! It did kind of leave off on a cliffhanger (right before counter-attacking Dracula after the mess on the party boat) with a mention of the rest being posted later. As far as I know, it hasn't been posted so far.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

General Ironicus posted:

We never did schedule a second session. I choose to believe Uncle Stoyan ate us all in our sleep.

Oh, that's a shame. I figured it had been recorded but just not posted yet. At least Uncle Stoyan gets a happy ending this way.

(Besides so many things going wrong on the boat, I think my favorite moment was when you guys were talking about putting your base in the zoo and Kenneth Hite was trying to conceal his glee at what a terrible idea that would be.)

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

GrandpaPants posted:

Did anyone who requested a refund for Deck of Legends actually receive their refund? It's been a few weeks now...

No. I sent my paypal email the day it was mentioned and got a response, but I don't see any refund on my Paypal account.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 9, 2015

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
It's been a good couple weeks for kickstarter fulfillment for me - first I got the pdfs for No Soul Left Behind and it's just as sharp and funny as I had hoped. While "supervillains trying to save a school" is not exactly a saturated genre, it's just fun to read and has some very nice nods to the Actual Play on RPPR that went with it.

And this morning the pdfs went out for the Dracula Dossier, both the Director's Handbook and the Dracula Unredacted, complete with the footnotes. Just looking at the table of contents and the index for the Director's Handbook - this thing is an absolute monster. It is like a huge vampire and weird history buffet.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
If you want a thematic match for Delta Green, look no further than season 1 of True Detective. It's always had some of that feel of being about the people (and what it means to live your life dealing with sanity blasting monsters) but the new version has really emphasized that with bonds.

I have run the beta rules (linked on the KS) and found them to be a smoother version of BRP CoC.

I am really excited for it. If you have an allergy to anything Lovecraftian, it's not necessarily going to change your mind - but it's a fantastic implementation of modern Lovecraftian investigations.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Peas and Rice posted:

This right here. There's also a fair few collections of fiction out there, including Extraordinary Renditions which just came out (full disclosure: I'm one of the authors) that will give you a great sense of what the setting is about.

Nice. I'm about 4 stories in but really enjoying it so far. Can't wait to read more. In general, I'd say that the DG fiction is very strong - both in quality and in terms of establishing some of the terrible things your investigators might find. "Last Things Last" by Scott Glancy is a great example. Tales From Failed Anatomies is strong throughout. I also really like John Tynes' Rules of Engagement.

On the tone, during the Delta Green panel at GenCon, one of my favorite quotes was:

Scott Glancy (I think) Well, if you borrow about equally from Breaking Bad and True Detective for your campaign, you're doing it right.
Greg Stolze: ... so, "Breaking Detectives."

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Jimbozig posted:

This. If there is one complaint I have about Ken and Robin talk about stuff, it's that they talk about too much cthulu stuff. I like all the history and other stuff but get bored and tune out whenever they start in on how to add cthulu to perfectly good and interesting material.

It's still the best podcast of its type, though.

Saying that Kenneth Hite should talk less about how to make the Mythos interesting is pretty close to saying that he should knock it off with all this history or secret society stuff. That's a significant part of what he's built his career on. Robin Laws is no slouch in that department either; his collection "New Tales of the Yellow Sign" is a great example of interesting things to do with the themes associated with Hastur/the King in Yellow.

It's totally fine if that isn't your particular thing, but judging from other kickstarters, a lot of people are still interested in either Cthulhu (as a marketing force) or in the story ideas of cosmic horror.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Peas and Rice posted:

This is what they shuld have done in the beginning.

Is the $300 tier equal to what you get if you buy them all 1:1, value-wise? I'm so loving confused by what's an add on, what isn't, etc. now. I hate Kickstarters like this.

$300 tier gets you:
Agent's Handbook ($50)
Case Officer's Handbook ($70)
The Fall of Delta Green ($50)
The Handler's Screen ($25)
Impossible Landscapes ($50)

Those total $275 by my count. You'd get the pdfs as well, of course.

Plus all the pdfs made available to backers, pdfs of those items, and some pdf only stuff like the Viscid adventure.
The PDFs that cost money are:
Viscid $5
Observer Effect $5
Operational History $15
Archint $5
Iconoclasts $5
The Star Chamber $5

These total an additional $40.

With, as I understand it but have not seen explicitly confirmed, the potential for adding Control Group ($50) and Deep State ($50) if those stretch goals fund.

It is a slight savings at the current funding level and will get better if the additional stuff funds.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

PST posted:

For huge numbers of people it's clearly made it far simpler rather than more complicated. Instead of 'pick tier then add ons' it's just become 'pick this and get everything'. Given how the day's numbers spiked, it was clearly the right thing to do.

A number of kickstarters have been trying to fund lines of books. Some such as Modiphius are pretty clearly offsetting but not covering costs, so those books would just be coming out anyways (15k to unlock a book is nowhere near covering its costs) so they had the same sort of 'base book, base book+pdfs, adds ons, all the add ons etc.). I think they managed a better layout for their 'how to do it'. Same with Reaper's miniatures where they've had a spreadhseet for each of their kickstarters.

Control Group's now unlocked, so the 'everything' tier is now $340 for $300. If Deep State unlocks, which is looking more likely based on yesterday and today, it'll hit $390 for $300 including shipping in the US, and then maybe another $20 for shipping to the UK (Australians are screwed on the shipping though).

Throughout the kickstarter they've had people asking for more and more custom tiers (I want A+B+E, can you do a tier just for that). It's definitely not been the smoothest and clearest, but the number of people who can't do basic maths is astounding.

Yeah. Some of the execution of the Kickstarter could have been smoother, but I am still in based on a number of factors. I really like that they put the rules up ahead of time and have them as a free download for anyone looking at the project. And according to the creators in numerous places, they are working hard to avoid Chaosium-ing themselves by making promises they can't possibly match.

The truth, too, is that skill at running a kickstarter and skill at delivering the product are not necessarily the same. (It is Delta Green and a Kickstarter though, so I'll be surprised if they hit all the release dates. But I know that going in, too.)

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Kenlon posted:

Jesus goddamn Christ, I hate whoever it was who mentioned True Detective as being a good template for Delta Green.

. . . because it's not 6 AM and I'm on the last episode of season one and I may never sleep again.

(Also I would totally back Delta Green if I could figure out what level gets me physical copies of both the Case Officer's Handbook and Fall of Delta Green without paying for a bunch of other poo poo.)

I think in this thread that was me. The authors jumped on the comparison immediately, though - True Detective was the sort of tone they'd been shooting for, for years. You're welcome.

Other helpful people have covered the Pledge options.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 23, 2015

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

malkav11 posted:

Arc Dream's done several Kickstarters at this point and delivered consistently, if not always by the estimated ship date. This is the largest scope but I'm not too worried.

Oh, absolutely. I didn't mean to cast any doubt on that - I have backed DG: Tales from Failed Anatomies, No Soul Left Behind, and Puppetland. Only Puppetland has yet to deliver and I am confident that it will. I was extremely happy with with Tales from Failed Anatomies and No Soul Left Behind.

Delta Green products have taken a long time in the past, but they always come out eventually.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Otisburg posted:

*Drills a hole in ur head, just to be sure*

I'd honestly like a little more on GRU-8, too. With what Russia has been up to lately it could be really interesting to see how their counterpart paranormal squashing division is doing.

I wonder how obsoleted Targets of Opportunity and the rest are by the "new edition" and new status quo. I'm tempted to up my pledge to 350 to get all the old PDFs. But I already have a print copy of the original core book and Countdown.

http://www.delta-green.com/2015/10/directives-from-a-cell-110-the-bear-is-back/ Here is an article rather than a whole book on the Russian side of things.

While I think it would have been cool to see another Countdown type book, with shorter write-ups of many organizations, I think they're trying pretty hard to avoid making one book that's just 15 years of gameworld updates. Most of those changes and transitions are described in the novels instead.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
For other big-name examples: isn't there still some ongoing drama with the Robotech kickstarter? And Mark Rein-Hagen's I am Zombie apparently hasn't shipped, still.

I've been burned once on an RPG (Pirate World supplement for Dungeon World, which I don't think will ever come out and raised over 8,000 pounds) and an additional card deck besides the Deck of Legends.

For a podcast talking about failed kcickstarters, maybe it'd be helpful to talk about some of the warning signs - Call of Cthulhu 7 is basically a poster child for those. It had everything from way too much unrelated merchandise to unreasonably low costs for shipping that - at best - seemed to assume no further increases in shipping rates.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 5, 2015

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Demon_Corsair posted:

For the new fate Kickstarter it's kind of lovely that I have to back content a second time to get new content I actually want.

Especially since I didn't care about about venture or do the first time around...

You could just buy it after it's released? I's a Fate kickstarter, I doubt they're going to be hurting for funding.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Of the KS stuff I've backed that has just flaked out, several are "goon projects".

Deck of Legends was already mentioned.

Pirate World (a pirate-themed Dungeon World hack) is both a goon-written project and way overdue. It looks like even a pdf will not be released at this point.

It's fine to say, "I enjoy helping out goon projects" but the success rate isn't actually any better than KS as a whole, I think.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

bongwizzard posted:

Ok now this all sounds awesome.

So there is a chance I will one day walk into a used book store and stumble into a lifetime supply of disposable bathroom reading? I could get into that.

I'd guess that any game store that still has their D20 stuff now is trying to get too much for it. Back in 2005-06 I picked up a whole box full of old White Wolf books (with some D20 mixed in) for $10. The store had about 25 more boxes in that sale... most of which was D20 crap.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Fenarisk posted:

So how 'bout that Pirate World? The creator has logged into Kickstarter on the past few days but no update since September, backer comments are going ignored, and the website linked for the creator is now 404. It's only $15 but still, at this point I'd be happy for the goon to reach out to me or anyone on this forum to help, because Jesus.

I will be super surprised if anything at all further comes out of PW. The author used to post a fair bit in the DW thread, but vanished a long time ago.

Plus the update that claimed printing was going forward without having released a full pdf was just bizarre.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

neaden posted:

Yeah, the Delta Green quickstart they released is pretty decent for instance, and the Exalted 2E quickstart was good enough that some people prefer to play with it's rules than the full Exalted 2E ruleset.

These were the exact two examples I was thinking of. The adventure in DG has a pretty good chance of badly damaging or killing one of the PCs, but that's exactly what you expect from DG. I've run it twice and it's gone pretty well both times.

The 2e one, while I modified it a little, was the only time I ran Exalted 2e.

The Vampire: the Requiem one (while I didn't run it) seemed pretty solid on a read-through as an introduction the game both mechanically and thematically.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 1, 2016

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Reap the Whirlwind was the post-God Machine update one, right?

I was thinking of the one from the initial release of VtR, with new vampires being embraced in New Orleans and having to figure out who did it and why. I forget the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I see it either being an insightful, powerful game that explores the nature of crime, greed, poverty, and the economic gap that has enough of a fantastical setting to allow a respectful distance, or the most heavy handed, shallow, "greed is bad, guys" product ever. I'm pledging, because the first would be worth the risk of the second.

One of the interesting things about it (to me at least) it that the game focuses on the contradictions of the first idea. Greed is absolutely necessary - not just to get yourself out of a zombie infested hell, but to get the people you care about out as well. But everyone else is trying to do the same to you.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

That looks great, but I'm a little hesitant - Dec 2017 feels like a long way away and in my experience with RPG KS projects the further away the due date (i.e. the less ready-to-release it is) the lower the chance it'll come out on time (or at all). Any particular reason the timeline is so far out?

I ran a couple games of the beta that ran last year. The game was definitely playable then and it's been further playtested since.

Some aspects of the system were initially a bit intimidating, like keeping track of charges for gear. (Charges are the way to abstract battery life, bullets, etc without counting every single one.) But in practice it flowed very well and was worth the book-keeping. I say this as someone who doesn't much enjoy keeping track of the backpackful of items in D&D.

My players (who are mostly used to Dungeon World) picked it up really quickly and enjoyed it. And managing those charges - the fact that everything has a cost - reinforces the theme crazy well and can make for very tense scenes.

Overall, you have resource management and things potentially going really wrong, like a traditional horror game, but character development tools more like a storygame. I was really pleased by how well the elements meshed together.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 24, 2016

• Locked thread