Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
A couple of KS highlights (I think I'm starting to get addicted):

Lanterns, a tile game where all the players receive a specific color lantern card based on what color lantern is facing on the tile side played towards them, then try and make sets of lanterns. Bonus cards are awarded for matching the colors when you play the tiles and you can get tokens to trade cards when you play certain tiles. There are also limited numbers of each color, so there is a strategy to not only trying to award yourself colors, but to avoid giving out colors or to deplete or trade away the stock of colors. It sounds pretty good, it has already met its initial goal, looks nice, and the creator has had a successful project already. There are also like a dozen reviews linked on the page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/foxtrotgames/lanterns-the-harvest-festival

Also, a while back the Grimoire Series Playing Cards (necromancy-themed playing cards, second deck with elemental-themed art) were linked, they restarted their KS to just do the first deck and add the second as a stretch goal, if anyone was waffling on that one (I was the first time around):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/213168680/the-grimoire-series-pt-1-playing-cards-by-edgy-bro

And another one that I thought was very worthy and not so nerdy, LAteria, a Los Angeles-themed Loteria set with some charming art and they look to have some great enthusiasm for their project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/685853494/lateria-a-chicano-loteria-game-celebrating-los-ang

All three are pretty cheap buy-ins, and the Grimoire and LAteria still need to be funded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

dr_ether posted:

Had a look back to see if anything was posted. Guess not.

Anyway, Scale Games have Fallen Frontiers up, with 9 days left.

Since funding, they have altered pledge levels, meaning you can now have a choice of boxed game contents.

The Alpha rules are up, and worth looking at, as they are also doing some different, and not just another 40k.

Plus a review of the resin figures is up, and they do look great quality.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/298260359/fallen-frontiers-reboot

I think the problem with this one is they offer too much. I keep thinking about pledging, but then I can't figure out any levels I'm happy at. Add-ons are too expensive to dollop here and there and just jumping at commander seems a bit psycho. I'd be happier if they had started off with just what came in the box, plus the equivalent 2 extra forces. Then add a stretch here and there. Or if they had the level box + 2 battle starters turned into box + everything for those two factions. That might be workable. But what I'd really have liked would have been for them to start smaller and add the extras as stretch goals.

I've been going back and forth on this one a lot since the last time it was posted, you see.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
So with Final Attack!, the difference between INFINITY VIPER! and HUGE KICK! is just turning one set of tokens wooden and a few other sets plastic? I was originally thinking about going for HUGE KICK! but that doesn't really seem like enough to justify $50. Making sure I'm not missing anything. Yes, I realize there is also a certificate so I can be officially smug.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
I don't know if The Titan Series has been posted somewhere yet and I missed it, but it seems like such a potentially cool thing until you look at it further and... there's like nothing there.

"Hey we've got lots of famous game designers designing games. Eventually. About some vague topics. Look, here are some interviews! Not really about the games though. Can we have some money?"

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Kwyndig posted:

I kind of like Crysis, but a 100 dollar boardgame is not what I'd spend on the franchise.

I've never played it the video game, but looking at it, the figures look nifty, the terrain looks nice, and ooh, there are some aliens in the... collector's edition... hmm... wait a second... 8 minis and some terrain... 4 more in collector's... 75 or 150 euros... stretch goal for those 8 minis to even have individual poses... oh look, previous publisher's license expired... miniatures boardgame not even half-funded yet... oh, and they outright admit there won't be a retail version.

Yeah, just cancel your Kickstarter, guys.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Evil Mastermind posted:

A week or two ago someone posted a link to a KS that was a fantasy card game that could be played solo. Does anyone remember which game I'm talking about?

Probably not the game you meant but Dragon's Ransom has shipped and is solo/co-op.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tony-go/dragons-ransom-a-reverse-dungeon-crawl-card-game

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Evil Mastermind posted:

I managed to find it; it was Assault on Doomrock. I will check out those other games, though; I've heard a lot of good stuff about Thunderstone Advanced.

Funnily enough I have that open in a tab and a reminder set. My excuse is when I replied I was on my phone, that's the ticket!

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Peas and Rice posted:

Except that he's got a 20+ year history of making and delivering games. The only problem is, he's never funded one before now through crowdfunding, he's always been able to dick around as long as he wants and no one's the wiser (which frankly is how most of the games industry worked, unless someone did something stupid and listed their game in Alliance before pushing it back ad infinitum).

Aside from a history of being an rear end in a top hat, GMS had a history of producing work too. Admittedly, I didn't back either Far West or Alas, Vegas, but from my perspective, they both look like excessively postponed vaporware with a lot of excuses. We love to trash GMS but when Wallis screws up, you can't call him out?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Since everyone always seems to go over the moon whenever the Burning Wheel is mentioned, does a signed first edition go for much? I don't think I'd actually sell them at this point (I regret selling so many things!). I picked them up when Luke was going around promoting the system and he seemed pretty enthusiastic and the local gaming store owner was as well, so I was all "heck, why not, it's only $15." I've never got in a game, though.

I just backed the KS for four times that, although there's a second book. Inflation!

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Kai Tave posted:

Digital tier is $55 and gets you everything plus stretch goals and the entire Unknown Armies back catalog in pdf. If people are going gaga over 7th Sea for shoveling tons of lovely sourcebooks for a not-that-great game at them and considering that value for money, $55 for every UA book ever made plus the new edition ought to be the deal of the century.

Yeah, but 7th Sea was $60 for all the pdfs and the print. This is $125. Slightly harder to swallow.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks! We really appreciate the support. It's actually west of the Mississippi river, but the setting is pretty malleable. We just posted a new podcast about structuring the Kickstarter's stretch goals and whatnot: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/05/game-designer-workshop/game-designer-workshop-episode-12-dream-just-the-right-amount/ -

Keep in mind Caleb and I have been talking about Red Markets since 2013 - we have a whole series on the RPPR podcast about its design and many iterations: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/category/game-designer-workshop/

After the Brutalists campaign, I will post a campaign for Red Markets that I ran earlier this year. It's a great hybrid between a traditional RPG and a storytelling game because it adds in work/life balance (role play scenes with loved ones/dependents to regain humanity/sanity back), team social combat/negotiation (every player, even non-social focused characters can help the negotiator get bonuses when haggling for the price of their next job), and pure survival horror (multiple types of zombies - slow Romero ones, fast running 28 days laters murder machines, and monstrous aberrants with unique abilities).

Isn't a $15/35 premium for a print copy a little ridiculous if we're paying print costs on top of that from DTRPG? I can understand some token differentiation like $15 pdf / $20 sc / $25 hc, but $15/30/50 plus printing plus shipping? That just doused my enthusiasm. (note, I did not listen to the podcast if addressed in there, sorry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

clockworkjoe posted:

You will also be getting a lot of bonus digital rewards, like all the PDF supplements unlocked by stretch goals, an ebook/audiobook novella, actual play podcasts, and the playtest drafts. People who buy at MSRP later on won't be getting those bonuses.

So, basically what other KS who do the same thing do, but for more money.

See below for three projects I backed with levels with plenty of goodies and only moderate price jumps. I wonder how many backers aren't realizing they're going to have to pay again when they actually order the book?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/silent-legions-a-sandbox-horror-rpg/description
($10 from plain pdf to print, $5 from pdf with name mentioned to print (name is mentioned automatically with print), choice of sc or hc)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/fellowship-a-tabletop-adventure-game/description
($4 from pdf to sc, $8 from pdf to hc)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/godbound-a-game-of-divine-heroes/description
($6 from pdf to print, either choice)

Ah, I see they are talking about it now in the comments. I have to say from the bit I scanned in the comments that it sounds like the KS is set up like an RPG now style product KS, but with the desire to have an on-hand print run, which is like having your cake and eating it too.

• Locked thread