Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rich Eisen and Brian Kenny are the face of their respective league networks. I'd say Robin Roberts hosting Good Morning America is a step up from Sportscenter anchor, but it's also a part of the same corporate family so probably doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

If Millen winds up calling any Lions games :argh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zakharov posted:

I don't know how people say poo poo like that when Vin Scully is the most respected broadcaster in baseball history and he never played an inning.

Well sure, but Vin is also more of a PBP guy, and that's never required a background in playing the game.

I will admit, I was thrown for a bit of a loop the first time I saw Mendoza on BBTN talking authoritatively about some sort of mechanics of playing the game thing, not in a "she can't do that" sort of way just "huh, that's not something I've seen before."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Orsillo got canned simply because the NESN and Red Sox upper management like Dave O'Brien more, and honestly, that's a perfectly reasonable stance. Everything else has been bungled completely of course, but going from Orsillo to O'Brien is at worst a lateral move.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, the last person to have a hit piece written about them was AJ Piersynki, which let's be honest was probably earned. Lester didn't sign and the general consensus was that it was the FO's fault for lowballing him, nor can I recall any dirt being thrown Ellsbury's way when he signed with the MFY.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

"We're going to talk baseball playoffs with Jack-O" :barf:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Marklar posted:

Yeah - I honestly like his podcasts with Cousin Sal, but Jack-O I just don't find entertaining, and he gets real snippy about the Yankees.

My two least favorite regular guests on the BS Report were Cousin Sal (because I'm not a degenerate gambler and don't care about the betting lines), and Jack-O, and who are two thirds of his announced regular guests? Cousin Sal and Jack-O!

What's Mike Lombardi up to these days?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

MourningView posted:

She is such a weird fit for that network with the way they're going but that show has to cost like 20 bucks to produce so hopefully no one notices and she gets to just keep being her.

I'm fairly certain the only reason she has that show is because Simmons tried to poach her from FS1. It forced them to do something with he beyond her YouTube channel. And good for Nolan, I think she's great and deserves all the success in the world.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Niwrad posted:

I wonder if she would have been better off taking less money and going to Grantland. Short term financial hit but long term she'd have gotten much more exposure. Does FS1 even advertise her show?

Considering her big champion, Simmons, got bounced from ESPN not long after; I think she made the right call to stay put.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

soggybagel posted:

To me it's ridiculous that Fox Sports doesn't do a hockey show. Like, once a week 30 minutes. Hockey fans like hockey content. They hired Jay And Dan...hockey guys. Might as well use the talent rather than relegating hockey highlights on FSLive to the last half of the show.

Basically if you're going to be second banana to ESPN anyways, might as well own the 2nd tier people.
That's what NBCSN is for.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the FBS championship isn't even an NCAA championship I don't think. The NCAA would have to wrest control away from the conferences and good luck with that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

davecrazy posted:

Jonah Keri went from Grantland to....Nerdist. Go figure.

http://nerdist.com/podcasts/jonah-keri-podcast/

Assuming you can stand Keith Olbermann, the first part of Keri's two part interview with him is really good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, on one of Michaels' earlier appearances on the BS Report they spent a lot of time talking about OJ, and how Michaels got caught up in the whole story, including having to explain live on the air to some news person that they got trolled by a Howard Stern fan.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

Why does the NFL keep doing Hard Knocks if everyone hates it? There's a report now that the Rams drafted Michael Sam in exchange for not being the featured team.

The teams might hate it, but the league loves it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Benne posted:

Honestly I'm surprised ESPN hasn't courted Katie Nolan yet, or vice versa. Even a random ESPNEWS show at midnight would probably do better ratings than what she's getting at FS1.

Right before he got fired Simmons tried to do that, Garbage Time was the result.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and come Jan 2017, I imagine 538 will be shutting down

538 might live on because don't they share the cost of that with ABC News?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/730228081781293057

Katie Nolan is the best.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I thought the Barkley interview was okay, but it felt heavily edited down. And then Affleck's deflategate rant was just funny for how lengthy and vociferous it was. Oh and considering all the ways in which this year has sucked giving it the "belt" felt off.

All in all, it was perfectly fine, but not something I'll tune in for week to week.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

Who the hell honestly cares about deflate gate?

Ben Affleck apparently, a whole lot.

I think Will Leitch has it right, Simmons getting mega-huge celebrities like Affleck to talk about sports like that is a great bit of "celebrities, they're just like us!" and could be his version of Car Karaoke, Mean Tweets, or whichever dumb gimmick Fallon is doing that day.

https://twitter.com/BenAffleck/status/746051945446670337
Lol

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 23, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The better question is what kind of numbers do Real Sports or that boxing show draw?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Robnoxious posted:

Did Gary Thorne die or something? :ohdear:

I hope Gary Thorne didn't die.

I'm one of those weird people who can't stand Gary Thorne. He's just so smarmy. Dave Strader was the superior ESPN hockey pbp guy, but that could also be my PASS Sports bias showing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Off the top of my head I think the Pistons owner is the only one that has died since he bought the Mavs.

Jerry Buss too. Maybe others, but I don't follow nba ownership all that closely.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

MourningView posted:

I'm still so mad at him for ruining a whole season of Justified

Ava is the New Black did not do that season any favors either. Season Five was just too transparently making time before Raylan could directly go after Boyd.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

poo poo, that's terrible news :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Comcast (or at least Comcast where I live) tends to throw networks wily-nily across the dial as they add them. My channel listings are a complete mess.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Drone racing feels like a throwback to early years ESPN when they showed whatever random crap they could get the rights to in order to fill time, I dig it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Stephen A also made a really good point about NFL players and the anthem today
https://twitter.com/TerryLee__/status/776091711147679744

We've suddenly travelled into some bizarro world.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

That's not even some like, mind-blowing secret, didn't John McCain shame the NFL into giving that money back?

I knew about the payments, I didn't realize that included requiring the players to line up for the anthem.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Strader and Redmond on PASS calling the Red Wings is one of my all time favorite play by play teams.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Whoever has Al Michaels gets the best matchups, isn't that the law or something?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Verne calling basketball this year or is he officially retired after this Army-Navy game?

During his goodbye speech after the game, Verne said he will be doing March Madness and the Masters.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

DJExile posted:

Pop is a loving national treasure :unsmith:

relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psUA7aGBQio

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Around the Horn's theme is currently performed by my favorite band, so for that reason alone it's cool in my book.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

A reminder that Mike Goldberg was the Red Wings announcer for one year, then was fired for being dull and overwhelmed when calling fights.

One of the grave injustices of the 90's Red Wings dynasty is that neither Dave Strader or Ken Daniels had the call for the Brawl in Hockeytown.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

Goldberg's terrible call of that was the thing that led to him getting fired.

I didn't get to see many games that season because I attended college out of state, so I always assumed they got rid of him because he didn't get along with Mickey.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

DJExile posted:

hahahahaha what caused this?

Here's the full thread
https://twitter.com/JasonKander/status/836577860055871489

Kander took exception to Trump saying "our soldiers don't fight to win" and Schilling didn't have the good sense to keep quiet, of course.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I was thinking about this some more, and she really should've been the host of Any Given Wednesday not Simmons. But I'm not sure that style of show works on ESPN, certainly didn't on FS1 considering they've cancelled Garbage Time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

chunkles posted:

I don't pay much mind to ESPN commentary but they both seem kinda bland and inoffensive?

Michelle Beadle got into it with Stephen A over dumb things he said about domestic violence. She's cool in my book.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

You'd think I would know this, but ABC isn't in the mix for the Super Bowl because MNF is on ESPN, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Those aren't counted by Nielsen though.

Not knowing anything about the technology that underpins them, I'm honestly surprised that cable and satellite boxes don't report back what they're tuned to.