Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Georgie Best doc premieres this Wednesday in Canada

And boy loving howdy did that thing ruin my Saturday when I watched it. Watched it first thing when I woke up and was miserable the rest of the weekend as a result. It was fantastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I guess this is technically broadcasting but Last Chance U (the JucO Netflix show) is switching schools to some 5-4 program in Kansas. Some think it's down to Buddy Stephens rubbing people the wrong way but as someone who remembers coaches like that in HS, I thought it was par for the course (not saying it's right or wrong). I actually wonder if Brittany Wagner (the schools academic adviser for the players) leaving the school had a lot to do with them switching it up. So yeah, new school is Independence Community College.

http://thecomeback.com/streaming/potential-third-season-last-chance-u-appears-changing-location.html

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So AA had a post discussing how the networks discussed the protests and why the gently caress is Charles Barkley on the NFL Today pregame show? Cowherd on Fox I can see because even if his takes are bad, he at least discusses football daily.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

NBC Live Extra has gotten so awful with all the ads and overlays that I'm actually not that upset over F1 moving.

Actually upon immediate reflection, this could blow. NBC shows all the lower level races which are usually entertaining and, if nothing else, hilarious.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

iospace posted:

NBC Live Extra's ad problem is easily bypassed by turning on the ad blocker after it's loaded.

WatchESPN is a much, much larger garbage fire.

That's also not getting into the fact that ESPN decided to basically kill off its motorsports division earlier this year.

It's not the video ads that bug me. It's all the side clutter. No matter how I run it, I get a tremendous amount of stuttering and latency. I use the xbox app for F1, but they don't show any premier league on there. It wasn't this bad last year but since the new PL season started I've been having fits getting that thing to even function.

I've personally never had issues with Watchespn from the web but oddly enough, Fox Sports Go seems to work the best as far as stability and a lack of crashing.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

NBCSN has replaced the loss of F1 by picking up Six Nations rugby.

I wonder if they're gonna make a play for Super League as well.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

It's been pretty obvious that the group that bought UFC was kind of counting on massive rights fees once the Fox deal expires as a way to help subsidize their purchase. Let's see how that's working out for them!

quote:

The UFC’s seven-year deal with Fox ends next year. The current Fox deal is worth an average of $120 million per year, with the fee jumping to $160 million in the final year of the deal, sources said.

Fox allowed its exclusive negotiating window to lapse early last month without submitting a formal bid. Sources say the two sides would like to continue their deal, but as of now are far apart in price. Fox Sports President Eric Shanks told Endeavor CEO Ari Emanuel and co-President Mark Shapiro that Fox was prepared to make an offer worth around $200 million per year, less than half of the $450 million per year average the UFC wants.

Talks between the two are ongoing. Shanks has remained in steady contact with Emanuel and Shapiro, sources said.

Executives with CBS, ESPN, NBC Sports and Turner Sports took the UFC’s meetings over the past month, during which UFC executives presented a deck outlining the growth of the UFC and justifying why its media rights should increase.

Turner Sports executives showed the most interest in a potential deal, sources said. But uncertainty over the pending AT&T-Time Warner merger, which currently is experiencing trouble as it moves through the Justice Department, has dampened enthusiasm for a UFC deal. A merged AT&T-Time Warner could let DirecTV handle the UFC’s pay-per-view, AT&T oversee UFC’s mobile apps and Turner use UFC content on its channels and OTT platform.

They'll come out with more than they got from Fox the first go round, but I don't think they'll get anywhere near what they're asking for. Kinda hope the rights fee bubble is about to burst but I won't pretend to be optimistic about it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Other than "we're the live programming you crave", how can UFC justify asking that much? MMA is nowhere near the same level it was when Fox first picked them up.

It's literally just live programming. I mean, you can look at their numbers over the years and the drop in viewership is staggering. It doesn't help that their biggest stars never see Fox and stick to PPV and nothing else. People know they're not going to get mega stars on broadcast TV and the ratings reflect that. I posted all their numbers up to 24 (couldn't find 25) but 26 is a genuinely big name in Robbie Lawler so if the ratings are poo poo for that as well they've got an issue.

quote:

UFC on Fox 1: Velasquez (c) vs. dos Santos 2011 - 5,700,000
UFC on Fox 2: Evans vs. Davis 2012 - 4,570,000
UFC on Fox 5: Henderson (c) vs. Diaz 2012 - 4,400,000
UFC on Fox 6: Johnson (c) vs. Dodson 2013 - 4,220,000
UFC on Fox 7: Henderson (c) vs. Melendez 2013 - 3,700,000
UFC on Fox 10: Henderson (c) vs. Thomson 2014 - 3,220,000
UFC on Fox 22: VanZant vs. Waterson 2016 - 3,178,000
UFC on Fox 14: Gustafsson vs. Rumble 2015 - 3,049,000
UFC on Fox 20: Holm vs. Shevchenko 2016 - 2,975,000
UFC on Fox 9: Johnson (c) vs. Benavidez II 2013 - 2,800,000 (tied for 10th)
UFC on Fox 16: Dillashaw (c) vs. Barao II 2015 - 2,800,000 (tied for 10th)
UFC on Fox 13: dos Santos vs. Miocic 2014 - 2,800,000 (tied for 10th)
UFC on Fox 17: dos Anjos (c) vs. Cerrone II 2015 - 2,781,000
UFC on Fox 15: Machida vs. Rockhold 2015 - 2,745,000
UFC on Fox 18: Rumble vs. Bader 2016 - 2,685,000
UFC on Fox 19: Evans vs. Texeira 2016 - 2,500,000 (tied for 16th)
UFC on Fox 12: Lawler vs. Brown 2014 - 2,500,000 (tied for 16th)
UFC on Fox 11: Werdum vs. Browne 2014 2,500,000 (tied for 16th)
UFC on Fox 4: Shogun vs. Vera 2012 - 2,400,000 (tied for 19th)
UFC on Fox 3: Diaz vs. Miller 2012 - 2,400,000 (tied for 19th)
UFC on Fox 8: Johnson (c) vs. Moraga 2013 - 2,380,000
UFC on Fox 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena - 2017 2,189,000
UFC on Fox 24: Johnson (c) vs. Reis 2017 - 1,996,000
UFC on Fox 21: Condit vs. Maia 2016 - 1,983,000

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Also if it's over the Jemele Hill thing, it wouldn't be so abrupt. We' get a "Skipper will be stepping down on February 1".

Maybe it's all legit and he's really got a problem and is seeking help for it. But with everything going on, you wonder if that's the excuse that'll be used if we find out a bunch of women came forward with some stories.

Either what we're getting is the whole story, or he's making a cover for something worst like sexual harassment. Like others have said though, if there was another shoe to drop, the company wouldn't have put out the statement they did.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Well gee it didn't take long for these idiots to turn on Bill Belichick did it? Nevermind that he built five super bowl winning teams in a period of near unrivaled parity. The Pats won 5 of the last 17 Super Bowls. The other 12 were won by 9 separate teams with the Giants and Steelers each winning two in that period. But sure, gently caress the guy responsible for building those teams.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Formula 1 is launching their own OTT streaming service called F1 TV. It'll be $8-12 a month and contain a non-live stream version which will cost slightly less. It'll have on board cameras for all 20 drivers and the ability to watch multiple views at once. I'm sold. Link below.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/formula-1-to-launch-f1-tv-a-live-grand-prix-subscription-service.html

e: The F1 thread believes there is some ambiguity with regards to pricing due to phrasing on the words F1 TV Pro vs F1 TV so who knows about that.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 28, 2018

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I think the highlights accounts for 20% of their fee. They could drop MNF and just buy the highlights next time negotiation are up.

If they drop MNF the NFL almost certainly won't give them the highlights.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Guess why they don’t care? Their 2019 movie lineup:
Captain Marvel
Avengers Endgame
Dumbo
The Lion King
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Frozen II
Star Wars Episode IX

And all of those will be hitting Disney+ next year.

So what's the deal with Dumbo? I've never seen a trailer or TV Spot since Captain Marvel and that trailer informed me it comes out this month? That seems really weird.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I was so confused because 1) UFC has their own streaming platform so what the hell and 2) Aren't they selling themselves short on pricing?

Then I realized they're basically charging you a door fee to buy their PPVs and I laughed.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dedication to the craft right there.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Dan's spitting fire at the culture of complicity at ESPN

https://twitter.com/ErickFernandez/status/1151943048101814273

loving well said. ESPN will most likely do nothing because if they suspend him he'll just go full blown scorched earth.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Trast posted:

I'm going to go with ESPN doing something stupid.

Same. It's in their blood to do the dumbest thing.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

Fox networks are back on Dish and Sling.

I watch so little Fox I didn't even notice it was off sling until last night when I was scrolling. I guess it makes sense that this would get resolved before NFL time.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Timby posted:

I'm almost positive he's had sex monster allegations hanging around him for years.

I remember reading about this as well a few years back.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Basticle posted:

so uh why is Australian Football the one sport not being shut down, idgi

Rugby League is running is running as well (or at least it was as of last weekend). Australia seems to be in direct competition with the US and UK in who can handle a pandemic the worse. From what my friends there tell me, Australia is winning that one handily.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

NRL has just postponed.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I wonder if Comcast just cuts out the middle man and buys WWE eventually. It would be cheaper than constantly having to pay rights fees in the long run.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

These contracts seem ridiculously long compared to the last batch right? I thought the last set was like 5-6 years?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Most people believe the three unnamed "founders" left to announce are PSG, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

Bayern and Dortmund announced they're not going.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Was curious how this compared to the World Cup and was kinda shocked at how high the WC final numbers are. 18m for 2018, 27m for 2014 and 25m for 2010. Interesting to note that before 2018, the broadcast was on Univision + ABC/ESPN and in 2018 it was Fox/Telemundo.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

haha I have to leave my job because I don't have the freedom to show people how loving stupid I am if I stay

Whenever I willingly leave a job, I make absolutely certain to say it was my choice no less than 70 times in two paragraphs.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dexo posted:

Bomani Jones new show aired.

It was alright.

The Monologue stuff doesn't feel like natural at all for how Bomani talk on the Podcast or ESPN. But man. And some of the jokes from the writers room were not delivered well, but man that Coach K/Duke segment
was So loving good.

The SAS interview was also fun enough.

I really hope the delivery gets way more natural as the show airs.

He was by far at his best and funniest when doing interviews and interacting with people on the street and in the interview with SAS.

The monologue is definitely a miss and the delivery felt real weird but everything else was pretty good. Bomani Jones is great so I'm sure the show will find its footing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

That is somewhere in the range of a 1400 to 1700 percent rate increase which is.......staggering, even in the current market.