Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Is the elders' curse still in?
Nope.

For anybody that doesn't know, this version, while adding new graphics, removed a lot of the "interesting" things about the game (I think you can still see it on the experimental page), while ramping up the grinding by a ton. It's no Candy Box or A Dark Room, that's for sure, even the older less boring version. If you are interested at all, I'd wait until the dev re-adds everything; this was probably the worst time to create this thread.

Coach Sport posted:

Protip: tab back in now and then because sometimes a cookie pops up that doubles your cookie production for 3 minutes when you click it.
Are you sure about that? The only thing I know for certain it does is reshuffle the "store".

Edit: There's also a good wikia page in case anybody's curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I only have one last condenser to get (and the Grandmapocolypse upgrades), and then I'll close it until dungeons. Already feeling a little overpowered, and I didn't even game for chips.

I even got black cat's paw legit and didn't notice he added condensers until a few days ago :v:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

No, I had somewhere like between 100-400 before the upgrade, and getting Grandmapocolypse helps a lot because of the Cookie Chain. While I definitely had it open a ton I even consider myself more of a "fringe case" than a "basket case"; it wasn't like I poop-socked or anything, I just have to be in front of monitors all the time (last few weeks especially) :shrug:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

So when did Lucky drop change from 30 min to 20? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Edit: I take that back, the Wiki's been like that.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 4, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Nf3 posted:

I thought this game ran when it wasn't open?
No, but something similar is being planned.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sindai posted:

Well, not infinitely. There's also the fact that the odds of reaching 6+ quadrillion on a chain is less than 30%. It's really annoying to keep getting chains that end in the millions or billions.

Golden cookies have much lower variance, and will still get you every upgrade and achievement pretty quickly.
Yeah, I don't know why people are recommending it, right now it only goes to 25% of your bank and maxes out at 17 cookies (66,666,666,666,666,666). There might be some application for it but it is pretty thin since Orteil stealth-fixed the bug in it. Here's the wiki about it with (mostly-correct?) odds.

Edit: Removed code to be a link, instead.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 6, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sorry, the "bug" of the cookie chain (where it didn't count the last cookie) is different than the "nerf", I misspoke. And, no, the current code is exactly what I stated (for the non-beta game at least, I didn't check the beta version), and it could be stealth-patched without a refresh as along as you're not in offline mode. Here's more info on the change (warning, official forums).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Cstar posted:

Pretty sure Speed Baking III requires getting a click frenzy, so it's not that feasible either, really. Speed Baking I and II should be doable, however, just click a lot. Didn't really use any special strategies myself, just buying things that seemed best for their price.
Yup, Clicking Frenzy, which is really rare. The strategy I used (which I found elsewhere) is to click enough to get the first three finger upgrades at 10 cursor. You buy the first two, and get some CPS to offset the cost (though that doesn't matter much, really, as you'll get most of it through clicks). At 6-7 min a golden cookie will appear, if it's not Clicking Frenzy you reset and start all over again. If it is, click a handful of times, getting enough to quickly buy the 3rd finger upgrade (estimate it out before hand, but go a little over), and then spam click on the cookie. Be ready for this part, you'll want to be fast and not overshoot going back and forth!

I got about half a million (which apparently is slow), and then what you do is figure out the math on how much CPS you'll need to get the rest on your next golden cookie which will more than likely appear at the 12-14 mark.

Figure out this before for Lucky!; if it's a Frenzy then just throw all your cookies into what'll give you the most CPS in the time limit (no use wasting the Frenzy trying to figure out the maximum amount, it's not worth it). You'll want to find a good medium between those two outcomes happening because if you don't have enough bank Lucky! won't give you enough, and holding onto bank to not increase your CPS means you could've got more cookies/buildings during those 6-8 minutes. If against all odds you get a Clicking Frenzy again, you probably will have enough just clicking before you worry about how much time you have left (maybe get "Plastic Mouse", though it'd probably be better just to get a higher CPS beforehand anyway).

It stinks to do, though, I'd just wait until he changes it again :D It only took me once, and I was pretty sloppy, but it was right under the wire, and I had a bad run of getting Clicking Frenzy over the amount of time, too, so it took forever.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I forgot to mention another lovely little pothole; because of how the first Heavenly Chip unlocker upgrade costs so little, it'll be the first icon or something. Buy it accidentally and kiss that run goodbye.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

I can't believe how many cookie clicker gamers are on Ipad now, is there actually an official one?
He's been particularly working on it recently (that and a Halloween update).

Merijn posted:

Took another stab at Speed Baking III, got two Lucky! cookies, hit 1 million cookies after 21 minutes. :argh:
I wrote a guide in an old post (click the ?), you gotta get Click Frenzy.

I don't idle after updates, so I'll just finish getting the 2000 Heavenly Chip upgrade in time for this!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

At least the main strategy wasn't as tedious as the first one.
That's what I thought. I kinda don't like it as much as the first one (some things, like getting enough for the Witch's Hat, or even finding the Pogo Stick seem pretty broken and not thought out), but it does seem more satisfying when you solve an area's "puzzle" because not everything is use seed, teleport, hope you're lucky.

Also, the official wiki is pretty good and the game is rather small, so there's really no need for much discussion I think? Then again, I think everyone here is just waiting for an update anyway or asking the same questions...

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Heads up, Orteil recommends you use a save editor to reduce it back to normal if you got one of those crazy cookie chains as they were a bug:lol: Newer updates also reduced the building achievements, how chains work (faster, but give less max by like /6), fixed it for Opera. Here's the full update list as of now:

Cookie Clicker Forum posted:

v1.0414 - main update with the following features:
> new achievements for making xxx cookies with a building
> "tiny cookie" and "you win a cookie" achievements
> modding in achievements/upgrades will not break saves
> other bugfixes
> saving of wrinklers
> cookie chains don't start with 6 (or 7) cookies, but can pay out insane rewards

v1.0415 - cookie chains no longer give ridiculous amounts of cookies

v1.0416 - session time bug fixed and the stat works again

v1.0417 - two fixes:
> altered "bake x cookies with y" achievements so that they are possible (now they take months instead of millennia)
> the game can now run in Opera again

Edit: Oh right, there's also a new Focus option enabled by default that uses less resources if the window isn't focused, if you noticed some lagging.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The way the game determines the "Cheated cookies taste awful" achievement is incredibly simplistic, too, so even if the reality was you had to fix something (and could only use the console or equivalent) it'd still be easy.

Edit: Oh neat, Orteil just showed a peek at the Easter update and he's working on adding buying/selling multiples at a time and some more helpful CPS UI.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 6, 2014

• Locked thread