Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Hey guys. Lets talk about Leveling a bit. Specifically Experience Mods.

Skyrim is perhaps the first Elderscrolls game that can claim to have a perfectly fine default leveling system. Sure its flawed but its not particularly broken or counter-intuitive. Unless you stick a lot of effort into leveling up skills with minimal actual in-game power gain you won't screw yourself over by making the monsters too hard like in Oblivion. Best of all you don't need to plan out exactly what skills to train to get good levelup bonuses.

Some complexity was lost along the way, there are less skills and attributes are gone. In return we've got Perks now. A fair trade in my mind. And we've seen many mods that change the Perk system. Some just rebalanced them, some completely overhaul. Mods like SkyRe and Requiem don't simply change Perks but also tie those changes into many other game wide changes. Over the years people have invented quite a few ways to improve leveling systems. In Morrowind those all still took the shape of the original idea behind TES leveling. Doing A thing made you better at Doing That Thing. In Oblivion we saw the same efforts, in fact a few of the popular Morrowind mods simply had their basic ideas behind how leveling should work ported over.

However there was also another approach, ye olde venerable XP system. Oblivion XP. There is nothing wrong with the TES idea, in fact I quite enjoy it. But I also like the XP system, mostly because it rewards Accomplishment more than it rewards Repetition. Obllvion XP was fairly popular, its still 44th on the Nexus Most Endorsed files of all time for Oblivion. It spawned quite a few plugins for many of the bigger overhauls and quest mods.

The basic idea behind Oblivion XP was that as you did things like finish quests, closing Oblivion gates, getting Deadric Artifacts and naturally killing people. Doing so gave you XP, get enough XP and you can level up, as you levelup you can increase skill and attributes. This should be very familiar, it works like this in basically any game with an XP system ever.

There was an early attempt to add an XP system to Skyrim, SkyXP by weimer. It works well enough but suffers a few issues, it was made before SkyUI created the ability for mods to have their own UI panels. In an attempt to work around that it used a special inventory where taking out a specific item increased up a corresponding skill. Its not been updated and this clumsiness makes it rather user unfriendly.

A second attempt was DFB - XP Mod Redone by Darkfirebird. This mod tries to support both users with SKSE and SkyUI and those without. By default it uses an inventory system similar to SkyXP but it has optional support for a SkyUI menu. Which certainly makes it a loss let awkward to use when installed with that.

However XP Mod Redone's XP mechanics leave something to be desired. Skyrim and its level system add some complexity to leveling up that you did not encounter in Morrowind or Oblivion. Selecting Perks, Selecting which one of Health, Stamina and Magicka and most importantly Adding Perk points to the player require going through the default levelup menu. Especially when working without SKSE.

SkyXP fixed this by turning its experience into a point buy system. Everything you did got you XP, and you bought skill increases directly with that XP, the higher a skill the more XP it would cost. Leveling up a skill counted towards a normal character level just as normal in Skyrim. Which took care of the actual character leveling neatly.

XP Mod Redone doesn't do this exactly. It chooses to have its own internal level system, and leveling up gives you a number of points to spend on skills, skill that still have a scaling cost. Ultimately this to me is its greatest weak point, its too convoluted. I used it for about a day but quickly gave up on it for that reason.

About a week ago I spotted SXP - Skyrim Experience Mod by eins on the nexus. SXP is a "Modern" mod, it works purely through a nice SkyUI mod interface and its experience system works like SkyXP in that you buy skill increases directly from your earned xp leaving the actual Level completely up to Skyrim.

Using it is probably about as simple as you can make this sort of mod. Its Nexus description page is full of awkward English from an obviously Japanese author but don't let that fool you, it is perfectly clear in game. It also has the ability to turn some of your XP into Perk points and I'm hoping it will add something that lets me buy Health, Magicka and Stamina with XP so I can try it without using the normal skyrim levelup process. Its going to be tricky to convert what you've bought to an actual level though. I've been using it these past few days and I really enjoy it. So if you want to try an XP mod for Skyrim I recommend this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Scyantific posted:

I like this. If you don't mind, I'd like to stick this in the OP.

Might want to edit out the non Skyrim related bits, but sure. I really wish there was more mods that actually changed the way Skyrim leveling worked but there really isn't. There are a few that adjust the curve and you can fiddle with settings in the Uncapper but that is about it. I suppose people do not feel a need to go down that road since it works fine by default ? Especially if you throw in Perk mods since those seem more exciting to make then adjusting a whole bunch of leveling math.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I'm currently using RLO, ELFX is perfectly fine too but had issues for me where suddenly rooms would completely change their lighting if I walked around large light sources like fires or looked at them from the wrong angle, it was way to jarring.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Phetz posted:

Morrowloot 4.0 is up, and even on the Nexus as well! Running it with SPERG, Immersive Creatures, Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases has really revitalized the game for me.

Changelog:
-Fixed the vampiric ring, and some artifact improvement

Thank god for the Vampiric ring fix, that thing turned you practically immortal the way it was before. I shouldn't feel like I should stop using my fancy loot because its breaking the game.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Phetz posted:

It's one of my must-haves. The additional variety is awesome, and I love that it's configurable with the MCM so you can raise/lower the difficulty and stick to lore-friendly creatures if you want (it even has a preset just for this). Combined with OBIS it really makes running around Skyrim and Solstheim a lot fresher.

OBIS'd up bandit camps, especially with increased spawns either from OBIS or ASIS are hardcore. Especially those puppet summoning bastards.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Scyantific posted:

If I'm right (and I probably am) about the DB quest mod you mentioned with the guy named Stabby, then you totally missed the part where you literally have to hunt down female NPCs labeled as virgins, and you actually get a spell to make it easier to detect them. Yeah, poo poo is creepy as gently caress.

The Dark Brotherhood is a Death Cult, an offshoot from another group of assassins that worships a god/concept of nothingness instead of one of murder and deceit. Why would you make a quest for that that requires you to kill virgins. From the religion direction it makes no sense, from the murdering people business direction it makes even less sense. I suppose part of the DB is just killing for the sake of it but even then, why make killing virgins a thing, sigh.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

EDIT.

Okay, running into another problem with MO. At least no crashes so far. Anyhow, a number of mods are showing up as greyed out, with the words "no valid game data" and "Mo". How do I get these mods to work?

Mods that are greyed out with the "overwritten files" message have had all of their files overwritten by mods with larger priority numbers in the leftside panel. Now, when MO launches it creates a virtual Data folder for Skyrim copying first the files with the lowest priority into it and then going up the priority order overwriting as newer files have the same name as older ones. Effectively they are not loading because none of their files are making it into the game, I can't judge for you why that is but generally if you want to fix that you have to move the related mods around to make the files you want to actually stay in the game have the highest priority.

Mods with "no valid game data" can be caused by a few things. MO checks if a mod is actually providing any files that Skyrim would load up as its configured right now, and it thinks the mod isn't. Right-click the mod and select open in explorer. So the folder you are looking at right now should look exactly like this is the data you want to copy into Skyrims Data directory if you were installing manually. That means that .esp files and directories called stuff like meshes, textures, scripts should also be in this level. If you have any of those in a subfolder, move them to the mods main folder instead.

This is an example of what a properly configured mod looks like (that happens to have a lot of directories, most don't have all of these:

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

So if a mod with the no valid game data error shows up, and all it's texture and meshes folders are inside a Data subfolder, I just take them out of Data and keep them in the main mod directory?

Yes, that pretty much exactly what you would do in that situation.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Found something that could possibly be a cool new mod on todays nexus recent activity: skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/46548, for those of you who played Oblivion it ( somewhat akwardly ) re-implements the Sigil stones from Oblivion and the runeskulls from the Exnem Runeskulls mod. I love the idea because it gives you access to limited enchanting even when you really don't care about leveling enchanting up.

I'm not touching it for now though since it seems from the description that there might still be some bugs in it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

LtSmash posted:

The memory limit is part of how the program is written. To the computer all your RAM is basically just a really long list of 1's and 0's. A program reads and stores stuff in memory by using an address of how far into that list their info is, usually in bytes. So if I want to keep track of your character level I would do something like declare the memory at byte 4096 to be your level and when I need your level I read byte 4096 and when I want to change it I put the new value there instead. How much memory a program can use is based on how big the address number can be. Old versions of windows only allowed memory addresses large enough to use 2gb of RAM. In like XP they added a feature to use up to 4gb of ram on 32bit processors. You may recall that when Skyrim came out it could only use 2gb of ram, its because they forgot to check the box telling windows to let it use more. The 3.2gb limit is probably because windows has special meanings for memory locations above that.

"But my computer was made after 2006 and has a 64bit processor, why can't Skyrim use all 8tb of ram I have" I hear you say. Well Skyrim was built out of the reanimated corpse of every previous beth game and those all are designed for 32bit processors. And the 360 and ps3 don't have that much ram so why bother updating the engine? Changing it would mean a lot of work for a small payoff (for them, when you crash you already paid them). tes6 will probably be designed for the xbone/ps4 so they will actually want to use more memory so pc users will get to too.

I'm really hoping that the new generation will finally push Bethseda into a genuine new engine instead of another laying of upgrades on top of upgrades on top of upgrades. That will probably be the death of esp/esm data files and so possibly the death of modding as a whole but man the games would be much better on resources.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Inverness posted:

SPERG question. The level 75 magic school perks say new spell tomes may be found on appropriate merchants. How is this different from what happens normally at certain levels?

Not at all its just a clarification that it happens.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

So I know plenty of mods to make more combat happen while traveling through skyrim. But is there any mods that let more of the little random roadside events happen that are not combat ?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

SKYUI is letting you know another mod has overwritten its favourite menu component. Which you did, that expected to happen. You can disable it in the skyui menu.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

LtSmash posted:

Yeah body cleanup is handled by a papyrus script not an engine function like cell resets. The USKP adds the script to a bunch of npcs so if you are looking for it browse the ones it modifies and you should find it pretty quickly. IIRC its a straight in game time passed that starts when the npc dies and then marks them for delete when able (so they don't vanish while you look at them). If you wanted to stockpile bodies in your home you could always modify the script to check the current cell and not delete them if its your home.

Papyrus doesn't allow the creation of new objects so I don't think you would be able to do it entirely in game. Skyproc could do the setup just fine though. The biggest hurdle is many mods name their readme readme.txt and put it right in the data folder so it gets overwritten by the next mod that does that. Once you got all of them renamed skyproc could take the contents and put them into book objects and add the books to the bookshelf. Other mods already have summonable furniture so I expect that would be trivial to steal.

In my modding adventures I've been working on fixing up ASIS. One of the guys who worked out the basics has decided to add MCM support so you can tweak spawn settings in game and I hooked that up. And discovered that in my barebones testing setup the old asis was making ~4k global variables so you could individually set the max number of each npc that could spawn and the odds that npc would have increased spawns. So if you felt DLC2EncBandit06Melee1HDarkElf03M needed more spawns you can just set the global ASISMaxNumSpawnsDLC2EncBandit06Melee1HDarkElf03M.

If you are fixing up ASIS I have one request. Asis adds spells to mages but its indiscriminate about it, I'd like it if you could scan an npc and see what types of damage spells npc's already have and stick with the themes for those. So only add fire spells to npcs with only fire spells, add shock and ice spells to mages with shock and ice spells.

[edit]

Second suggestion. NPC's with potions are great, having 400 health potions as a player is a bit insane, could you make potions added through skyproc non lootable ?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Rather Dashing posted:

This mod will lengthen the amount of time you can wait as well. Useful for if you want to speed up certain quest requirements or wait for cells to repopulate or if you just want to age to death.

I remember there being a mod that livened up the shaders on enchanted weapons in the OP of a previous Skyrim modding thread but can't seem to find one on the nexus that doesn't also add dumb features that I don't want. Anyone have any pointers?

I use Enchantments Upgraded by Aetherius. Its pretty good IMHO. Only downside is that it adds 5 disenchantable items with somewhat OP enhancements at low levels to the witches shack close to riverwood, easy enough to ignore though.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Yep, it's the fence and the gate on the other side of the yard, but not every time I'm there.

Edit: I should note that it's present over multiple characters. Heres my mod list. Maybe something will leap out at somebody.

That fence break for me from time to time too. Reloading fixes it though.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I think they are getting a regular set of armor and then LLI's Matched Outfits feature is giving them another set. Not sure how to fix that aside form just disabeling that part of LLI.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Immersive Armors updated to version 7, I'll just leave this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTZNu7c5_9s

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Ularg posted:

What does this fix mean for people with only a few mods?

Very little though it won't hurt if you want to try it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

Works. Steam is now out of program files, uninstalled BOSS/MO again. Reinstalled both, just used the Alternate Starting mod as a test and it worked beautifully.

One small strange problem. I cannot install the Hearthfire Patch as it says "None of the available installer plugins were able to handle that archive". I've installed the hearthfire patch on previous attempts to get MO to work and never had a problem.

This normally happens when you're feeding a filetype it cannot handle. But since we know this is perfectly functional mod i suspect a corrupted download. Redownload it from nexus ?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Micr0chiP posted:

Is the Nexus messed up ?
Im trying to download a mod from them but the files page just shows an E, but some other mods have the files.

The awnser to that question is virtually always yes. But more specifically, yes, recently its been terminating download early, or presenting html error pages as the actual files you want to download.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

epitasis posted:

Is Revenge of the Enemies any good or would I be better served to try and figure out ASIS?
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40491/
Just saw it as an option for compatibility while installing Immersive Creatures.

Revenge of the enemies is great. But only if you want what its advertising, it will make enemies harder, it will make some bosses REALY HARD. Some of the bosses have thousands of HP.

If that sounds cool to you, go ahead.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

It took a few years, and there has been some previous iterations that were not nearly as good, but finally This Mod exists now.

This Mod ? Alternative Crafting System - I dont want to be a blacksmith

A Mod that lets you pay a smith to make (also temper ) items for you at a cost if you have the materials, and that recognizes stuff from other mods.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

SXP works fine with SPERG if you turn off any of the additional xp gains SPERG has.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

nuzak posted:

Aren't planets and moons in the sky the bodies of gods or alternative dimensions which are inconcievable to mortal perception so they seem like they are just circles... or something?

That would be the Sun and the Stars which are the holes in reality that were left by Magnus and a number of lesser Spirits when they left Mundus upon the realisation that to continue working on Mundus would mean their end/absorption into the creation of it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Its even worse thatn that because there is a perfect way to integrate all your new armor/weapons into the game that does not rely on hand placing, learning how to do leveled lists or adding it as a reward for a (new) dungeon/quest. Just make it craftable!

Ideally use two or more of the above approaches but if you can't/don't want to just add it to the forge under the appropriate categories. .

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Yes but by the time they have it in a stable and playable state, it'll be time to port Morrowind into the Elder Scrolls VI engine.

I don't know it feels like Skywind is going substantially faster than Morrowblivion ever did. Not to mention that Skyrims game experience in general hold up much better now than Oblivion did 2 years after its release.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Just try reading the descriptions of his mods. That should clarify the surprise.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I dislike SkyRe because it takes the wrong way to solve the perk problem. Instead of making individual perks choices more significant and interesting it just adds tons and tons of perks that increase a number or improve a % for something cool to happen.

Even its author has said that it probably wasn't the best idea and if that new perk overhaul of him actually ever sees the light of day I'll give that an honest look since it sounds like he knows what he did to SkyRe wasn't great.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

Am I missing anything by not using autoperks with SPERG? I've had them shut off the whole time because I can't stand the thought of the game assigning something to my character without me having any control over it.

Missing, not really, you'll just need to invest perk points into things you'd otherwise get for free for getting your skills higher. I guess you'll be behind the expected power curve a little but if it doesn't feel like an issue then it really isn't.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Lets talk a bit more about the generally popular spell mods, just mods that focus on adding more spells to the game and not complete magic overhauls

Apocalypse Spells is a solid mod, it adds spells, this is all it does. Importantly the spells are interesting, fairly balanced as far as that goes and on the whole its solid work. If you just want to add some spells to your game without further complications then Apocalypse Spells is for you.

As described by Sensenmann Forgotten Magic adds less spells but they are customizable with their own set up upgrades, in addition there is also rings that can improve your favorite spells. Also has a few powers that might be of interest to non casters like a charge ability to close with enemies. If that sounds like a cool thing to you go right ahead.

The two mods are fully compatible with each other and since they both make an effort to produce interesting and more complex mechanics behind spells there isn't a major amount of overlap, which is good. And I consider them the best two available.

Next up Midas Magic (Redone). Midas might be the most well known Oblivion spell mod, also known as that mod where you have to fiddle about with gems and nuggest to make spells. In Skyrim it is not nearly as good, or interesting. The problem being that the Midas Skyrim mods tend to just add a whole bunch of variations on a theme. Fire beam, Lightning beam, Frost Beam, Arcane Beam, Poison Beam. Summon 15 different kind of weapon. Etc. There is some gems in there but for the most part its not interesting or very innovative.

Phendererixes stuff, echoes a lot of complaints I have with Midas, there is some good stuff in there but also a lot of x but this time like y. Not just X but Y and Z at the same time. And while filling in the rune list and the beam list and the bolt list with more elements and options isn't Bad id rather have something new and interesting to play with rather than a cloak of all 3 elements as the same time.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Kraven Moorhed posted:

That one's for Enchanted, Equipped, and Stolen I believe. If you click the "Type" header in your Armor or Weapons tab in SkyUI, it'll sort them by type without fuss. Really nice for Barbie-ing up mannequins.

Speaking of which, I ended up abandoning Druid's Den as I couldn't find a fix that didn't involve editing the mod itself. Instead I picked up Legacy of the Dragonborn aka The Dragonborn Gallery. Though I usually go for more reasonable accommodations (no subtly here: it's a tremendous museum plopped into Solitude) it quickly won me over with its slick displays and over-all presentation. And in addition to the absurd amount of content it provides through the addition of artifacts from previous games, Dragonborn Gallery acts as a tangible checklist that can clue you into items/quests from the vanilla game you never knew were there. And it's filled with secret rooms and passages, including the player home portion itself with smart storage/crafting and room for followers. Well, I think that room is supposed to display house your orphans, but my followers tend to hit things harder so any kids that may crop up can make do with the taxidermy exhibit. Kids like stuffed animals, right?

I'd recommend anyone trying for Oblivion Walker or searching out Skyrim's artifacts to give this mod a shot. Hell, the armory alone makes this mod worth it, 'specially if your girlfriend is deathly afraid of mannequins and you love putting the fear of god into her. :v:

If you think and armoury and collectibles storage is cool but don't want something on the scale of The Dragonborn Gallery check out Jaggarsfeld. The home itself if fairly low key and simple but features auto sorting storage and all the amenities you probably wish for.

The completly ignorable cave in the back is a massive armory and features special places to put stuff like elder scrolls, masks, deadric artifacts and the like.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

FadedReality posted:

The mod creator confirmed the vampire stuff is WIP. Yeah lemme make sure to emphasize a point about this mod:

It adds Boots of Blinding Speed, Trueflame, Sixth House Bell Hammer, pretty much all your favorite poo poo from Morrowind. Placed through the world for you to go collect. AND it adds cards to find that you can combine into a deck that gives buffs. AND paintings to hang in your museum. GET IN ALREADY :pcgaming:

I think i prefer something slightly less.... extensive.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

LtSmash posted:

If wintermyst adds its new enchantments to vanilla items, like Iron waraxe of myst, and adds those to leveled lists Lootification will pick those up automatically. If it only adds enchantments to new items Lootification won't see them.

SkyProc patchers should try and use up to 1024mb of ram automatically which is about the limit for a 32bit program. Last I heard MO didn't support running 64bit programs so you can't use 64bit java through it. But I've heard that setting javaw.exe (32bit version that is in the launch path in MO) to be large address aware with something like this will let patchers use up to 3gb (though you will need to set them with SUM or on their command line). In theory that change could break things but I haven't heard reports of it actually happening. People politely requesting support for 64bit programs from MO might get him to add it, maybe.

This advice helped me manage to run my all my weapon and armor mods including Tamriel Armoury through Lootification. Sadly it seems that Wintermyst simply doesn't have the ability to chew through all the new sets of enchantable gear lootification spits out, its been running for three hours now. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Crank up the ram available to lootification, see my and LtSmash's recent posts. :)

Running through MO, I've applied the large adress awareness patch but even so SUM will not successfully launch with more than 1700 MB or ram. And it seems like this 120 odd MB lootification patch is just to big for wintermysts patcher to swallow. I might have to live with only having wintermyst stuff on vanilla gear and enchant it on stuff myself.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Actually, lootification seems to have applied Wintermyst enchantments along with the vanilla - open the LLI.esp with TES5Edit and check.

Your right it has populated it with Wintermyst enchantments. Well, problem solved. Someone should probably have a talk with EnaiSiaion about that since his mod instructions say:

quote:

Lootification: Run Lootification first to generate item variants with vanilla enchantments, then run the Wintermyst Skyproc Patcher on the output to generate item variants with Wintermyst enchantments.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Burns posted:

Any impressions of Wintermyst? Is it going to work ok with ASIS?

I'm putting off a proper play through skyrim waiting for an Immersive Creatures update. However I tested a few randomly selected enchantments this afternoon and those I played with worked just fine. Only comments I had on them was that the blink distance on the blink enchant was a little short.

I have observed nothing to indicate problems with ASIS. Though I struggle to imagine what those problems could even be provided you exclude Wintermyst from the extra spawns as instructed. If you are using the ASIS Improved INI files I know those have also been updated to account for that (Thanks Agents are GO!).

I've made a post on the nexus about the Lootification skyproc patcher including Wintermyst enchants but so far no response from T3ndo or EnaiSiaion.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Hey, the SIC guys know how to make monsters. So at least the monsters will be solid ?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Somethings... different in Blackreach today. :shepface:

Looks like all those mushrooms have decided to release theirs spores. Bio luminescent spores. Yeah, make total sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Most spell mods should work if they've been coded properly and use the same keywords that SPERG looks for.

Specifically speaking, SPERG and Apocalypse should work just fine.

Specificly Apocalypse even has a compatibility patch for SPERG.

• Locked thread