Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
:siren: I've updated the Goon Game Service to be compatible with Dominions 4 :siren: for anyone crazy enough to try multiplayer on the beta. I haven't tested the implementation very thoroughly, so it will probably have some bugs. One aspect that could be particularly bug-prone is nation IDs, since I didn't have a list to look at. I managed to make a decent preliminary list from looking at a few nation ID's from .2h files, but there could definitely be some incorrect ones.

Let me know if you find any bugs/feature requests! Either shoot me a PM or message me on IRC. I can provide my preliminary nation IDs and protocol details on request too.

Oh, I added some new colors too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

TheDemon posted:

The preliminary draft of the modding manual has been released.

Hooray, nation number lists!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It's rather unlikely anyone will be playing Dominions 3 online after the release of Dominions 4. That's the main reason to get 4.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Alternatively, forge some items for your commanders that let your troops breathe underwater and hoof it over there. Should be some in Air and Water paths around Const 4 or 6.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The most difficult part of playing Dominions 3/4 is getting motivated to do your turns when you're losing. Playing bad nations because you like their flavor makes this happen more often.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
You can just put a link to your Desura profile showing that you bought the game too!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Can any Dominions modding experts tell me if it is possible to make an All Agartha mod (where every nation is Agartha)? Because I will totally put an All Agartha game up if that is feasible.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I don't really use Gamersgate. Is there like a profile page you could link showing the games you own? Or take a screenshot of that page if you can't link it.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Microcline posted:

I just had something really weird happen. I had a battle replay that didn't match up to the battle results at all. On the world map and the results screen, a few units retreated but I won the battle handily. However, in the battle replay my force got slaughtered. Anyone have an idea what happened here?

This can happen sometimes. I think it happens because the random number generator differs between operating systems. The server is most likely running Linux, while the clients are usually Windows or OS X. Each action in the battle isn't recorded in the turn, just a random seed and the results. Your OS gives different results for that seed, resulting in a different battle than the official results from the server when you replay it.

It's fairly rare though. Just be happy it worked in your favor this time!

Jabarto posted:

Do provinces that have their population reduced to 0 from Ermor's dominion ever grow again? Last night I spent a full year and a half sending 500+ units to starve to death in Ermor's capital, so I could find and kill the mage that had cast Burden of Time, and now I'm stuck with a worthless wasteland that I'm not quite sure what to do with.

On that note, someone a few pages back was saying how awesome Pythium was, and now I have to agree. Being able to summon angels was a big part of my winning that war with ermor, and I got off to a good start just by spamming principes because their defense and parry skills are so high (they even stopped a heavy cavalry charge in its tracks). It also taught me the wonders of communion magic, though I did cripple a few communicants because I didn't pay attention to how quickly they were losing fatigue.

No, they don't ever recover. Ermor blows

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Since there seems to be decent demand for it, I'll host a public version of the GGS. Should be up at dominionsturntracker.com sometime soonish. Of course the current GGS will remain as it is at brainwrinkle.net.

If someone wants to write a good guide on hosting games for pubbies, I'll throw it up there too.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
There are some Dominions players who will attack anyone who doesn't use IRC because it makes diplo too difficult. Use IRC!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Use the arrow keys! I thought the clicking was annoying too until I discovered that.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
murtidash had me run some statistics on the Dominions 4 GGS games so far. Here's a list of how common each nation is:

pre:
+------------------+--------------------+
| count(nation_id) | nation_id          |
|                1 |                 115|
|                1 |                 117|
|                1 |                 114|
|                1 |                 112|
|                1 |                 113|
|                1 |                   2|
|                1 |                 116|
|                2 |           LA Caelum|
|                2 |          MA Oceania|
|                3 |                 103|
|                3 |                 104|
|                3 |             MA Eriu|
|                3 |                 106|
|                3 |                 108|
|                3 |                 110|
|                3 |                 102|
|                4 |                 100|
|                4 |                 109|
|                4 |                 105|
|                4 |        MA Shinuyama|
|                4 |                 107|
|                4 |                 111|
|                5 |                 101|
|                5 |         MA Atlantis|
|                5 |       MA T'ien Ch'i|
|                5 |          LA Lemuria|
|                5 |           LA Patala|
|                5 |          LA Pangaea|
|                5 |          MA Agartha|
|                5 |       LA T'ien Ch'i|
|                6 |     LA Arcoscephale|
|                6 |          LA Mictlan|
|                6 |          LA Pythium|
|                6 |          LA Agartha|
|                6 |          EA Oceania|
|                6 |          MA Pelagia|
|                6 |           MA Ashdod|
|                6 |           LA R'lyeh|
|                6 |           LA Utgard|
|                7 |          EA Pelagia|
|                7 |          MA Vanheim|
|                7 |           MA Caelum|
|                7 |            LA Jomon|
|                7 |        MA Jotunheim|
|                7 |           MA Abysia|
|                7 |       MA Bandar Log|
|                7 |         LA Marignon|
|                8 |            MA Ermor|
|                8 |         MA Sceleria|
|                8 |          MA Pangaea|
|                9 |            LA C'tis|
|                9 |         EA Atlantis|
|                9 |           EA Abysia|
|                9 |           MA R'lyeh|
|                9 |             LA Gath|
|                9 |           LA Abysia|
|                9 |          EA Kailasa|
|                9 |          MA Machaka|
|               10 |          MA Pythium|
|               10 |         MA Marignon|
|               10 |           EA R'lyeh|
|               10 |              MA Man|
|               10 |          MA Mictlan|
|               10 |          LA Midgard|
|               10 |           EA Caelum|
|               10 |              LA Man|
|               10 |       EA T'ien Ch'i|
|               10 |     MA Arcoscephale|
|               10 |          LA Bogarus|
|               11 |          MA Vanarus|
|               11 |            EA Ermor|
|               11 |          EA Pangaea|
|               11 |          EA Vanheim|
|               11 |          EA Mictlan|
|               12 |            MA C'tis|
|               12 |              LA Ulm|
|               12 |            EA C'tis|
|               12 |           EA Hinnom|
|               12 |              MA Ulm|
|               12 |     EA Arcoscephale|
|               13 |          EA Helheim|
|               13 |             EA Yomi|
|               13 |         MA Asphodel|
|               13 |         LA Atlantis|
|               13 |          EA Machaka|
|               13 |            EA Lanka|
|               14 |         EA Marverni|
|               14 |          EA Fomoria|
|               14 |          EA Agartha|
|               14 |      EA Tir na n'Og|
|               15 |          EA Berytos|
|               15 |               EA Ur|
|               17 |       EA Sauromatia|
|               18 |       EA Niefelheim|
|               19 |              EA Ulm|
I still refuse to believe that EA Ulm is good or fun, despite Incy's efforts to convince me otherwise on IRC.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
For the people looking to host a Dom4 server on Linux, here's a script that Tenjou uses:

Pastebin

If you're decent with Linux and have a VPS or something, it's pretty easy to host.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

MrBims posted:

You really wouldn't want afflictions on troops that the enemy player puts regen on in the specific hope of them staying alive? I'm not talking about HP 10s. Chest wounds, arm loss, and crippling absolutely demolish thug armies. In my championA game I had an SC pretender that went from killing N9D9 steel warriors by the dozens to dying instantly to plain devils just because of the afflictions it racked up. Unless you have N5 and a lot of gems or healers, your chainsaws can be turned into arrow fodder even when they win.

Hmm yes, an SC pretender certainly is a recruitable troop that is in no way one of a kind...

Of course curses and afflictions matter on commanders, but by Alt 7 there are roughly 1 million better uses for your mages than cursing some troops. Sure, it may make the opponent's big sacred army less effective after some attrition, but there is pretty much zero reason for them to act differently once their troops are cursed. They will continue to use those troops until they die and then recruit some more replacements.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Jabarto posted:

What "totally and completely necessary" function do they have, and why can't you use a less-frustrating and gamey mechanic to do the same thing? Also, I want you to really think about Magic Duel for a second. You aren't going to use it against weak mages because they aren't worth the cost and risk. You're only going to use it on powerful astral mages (aka make them way too easy to kill) or on stronger enemies (not just pretenders) that just happen to have a little astral magic, which probably weren't that dangerous to begin with and didn't need to be taken down a peg. Nothing about it is balanced at all.

I'm currently in a game as Bandar Log fighting Pythium. I've mostly used Magic Duel on my 60G S1 Yogis to take out Pythium's 215G A1W1S2 Theurgs. Even at a 2:1 loss ratio (it's not quite that bad actually, iirc), I'm making strong gains on an attrition strategy this way.

Magic Duel is a good spell. If you're going to take a pretender with S, you just have to take really high S. With the Ring of Sorcery being S7 now, that's what you want anyway.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

The Gentleman posted:

Perhaps just removing magic duel would be better, I see no real reason for that spell to exist except to gently caress with S<7 pretenders.

Except it's a well-balanced spell that creates a good weakness for an otherwise great self-buff path? Astral shield and body ethereal are really effective. Throwing away 10 S1 mages for a good chance to kill an S5 pretender is a pretty fair trade. That's nearly a year's worth of mage recruitment.

It's not like there's a shortage of good titan-type pretender chassis. If you're not willing to take S7 on an SC pretender chassis, take a different one. Why even take a titan pretender with low magic? The whole point is that you get two strong magic paths cheaply and still have good combat potential with gear. Even an S5 pretender gets killed by less than 10% of magic duel attempts by an S1. Bring more S mages to back up your pretender if he is that valuable.

Magic duel is cool, unique, and useful spell, and I don't think removing valid tactics is a good way to "balance" the game. I think the thug/SC counter spells create interesting research goals and allow creative players to find a counter to any SC. The days of strong SCs are gone with the Dom4 changes anyway - you can barely gear well enough to be resistant to a single elemental damage type. Even with all "resist or die" spells were removed from the game, you can still easily kill SCs with creative applications of Leech or duskdaggers.

If someone can list cool pretenders that no one takes simply because they come with S1 I will agree that magic duel deserves to be slightly higher in the research tree, but I see no reason to remove it entirely.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Best reference site - you can look almost anything important up here once you understand the game mechanics
http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inspector/index.html

These are the most useful articles for noobs from the old wiki in my opinion.

Some important spells - a pretty incomplete list, but an okay starting point.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130109095223/http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Key_spell

Dom3 style thug equipment - more advanced, don't worry about this at first. Written by Lilli! Also unfortunately pretty outdated with Dom4 mechanics changes.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130201130958/http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Gearing_Thugs_and_SC%27s

I think it can be useful to read nation write-ups on Dom4Mods to learn about overall strategies and neat tactics. Or just ask about a nation in here or on IRC.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
JonJoe asked for the latest list of signups by nation:

pre:
3: MA Oceania
4: LA Caelum
6: MA Pelagia
6: MA Atlantis
6: MA Eriu
6: EA Oceania
7: MA Agartha
7: LA Lemuria
7: MA Shinuyama
7: LA Pangaea
7: EA Pelagia
8: MA T'ien Ch'i
8: LA Arcoscephale
9: MA R'lyeh
9: LA T'ien Ch'i
9: MA Ashdod
10: LA Utgard
10: MA Machaka
10: LA Patala
10: MA Ermor
10: EA Kailasa
10: LA Pythium
10: MA Bandar Log
10: MA Abysia
11: MA Vanheim
11: MA Caelum
11: LA Mictlan
11: LA Abysia
11: MA Jotunheim
11: LA R'lyeh
11: LA Gath
11: EA R'lyeh
11: LA Agartha
11: EA Atlantis
12: MA Sceleria
12: MA Mictlan
12: MA Pythium
12: MA Pangaea
12: MA Man
12: EA Caelum
12: EA Abysia
13: EA Pangaea
13: EA T'ien Ch'i
13: LA Marignon
13: MA Arcoscephale
13: MA Marignon
13: MA Vanarus
14: EA Hinnom
14: EA Helheim
14: LA C'tis
15: EA Ermor
15: LA Jomon
15: EA Marverni
15: EA C'tis
15: EA Vanheim
15: EA Mictlan
16: MA Ulm
16: EA Tir na n'Og
16: EA Machaka
17: EA Fomoria
17: LA Midgard
17: LA Man
17: LA Atlantis
17: LA Bogarus
18: EA Ur
18: EA Agartha
18: EA Arcoscephale
18: MA C'tis
18: EA Yomi
19: MA Asphodel
19: EA Lanka
21: LA Ulm
21: EA Berytos
21: EA Sauromatia
21: EA Niefelheim
24: EA Ulm

86 unknown (assuming these are mostly NationGen)

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If someone tells me the nation number for Ragha I'll add it to the GGS.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Usually within 24 hours. Try signing up again, I probably didn't get the email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I don't plan on updating my code to support Dom5. Hope it already works or someone submits a patch!

• Locked thread