Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, now that we are talking about the next updates, it seems the next path will be soon but it won't have the Caelum update as it will be moved to the next one (he may do it on Easter week). The good news is that he may do a "flier update", and together Caelum, laso add 1 or 2 new flying races, he has the research done.
Source: Illwinter in desura forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

4.05 update

quote:

GAME

2 magic items will now accelerate aging
A map could appear twice in load maps, fixed
Added a few names for Marverni females
Aging remade so magic items can protect from magic aging effects
Alt+home = select prophet
Banfire bow no longer armor piercing
Battle music did not stop when pressing 'q' during zoom in.
Battle orders weren't ignored during manifestation
Better era sorting in View Pretenders screen
Blood feast affliction wasn't permanent.
Boots of the Messenger reinvigoration 2 -> 3
Bunch of maps didn't support wrapping properly
Button to change province name color in map editor
Can click on flags on network screen, right click gives info
Celestial Chastisement didn't enslave
Choose item from magic item treasury screen when sending message
Dark skies had -1 penalty in non dominion too, fixed
Dementia could not be healed, fixed
Description fixed for Oceania and more
Disabling animated background removes nebulas too
Don't get an arena prize you already have
Draw size fix for retinue
Ethereal didn't help vs maggots spell
Fire and death bless arrows now requires a hit to take effect
Fix scrollbar when choosing nation to play
Fixed bug in random numbers
Fixed darkvision for water queens.
Fixed heightfield clipping bug (visible on the lower planes)
Fixed starting age for Golem and some other constructs
Flags and timer shown during network play
Forest Troll Tribe summons 15 trolls and cheaper
Gave a lot of maps black province names
Green highlight on allies when choosing receiver for message
Grey out all spells that cannot be cast due to terrain requirements.
HP capped at 10000.
Hidden in snow can now be cast in border mountains too
Hill Giant got 'grab and swallow' attack
Ice weapons are not affected by fire bless
Improve event message for curses
Improved detection of dead prophets
Improved information for targets of Wrath of God and some other powerful spells
Improved victory screen
Improved weapon info
It was possible to start underwater with overwater nation on Talis map.
Item levels were incorrectly added regarding random event magic boost.
Items in forge that are too high level are shown, but greyed out
Krakens got recuperation.
Lifeless weren't immune to Bloodletting
Made two magic raising sites unique
Make sure old arena prizes don't get put in the lab
Many stat fixes
Many typos fixed
Map fixes (wrong terrains and incorrect connections)
Message when God is recalled
More restricitive showing of the map raid symbol.
Need not eat canceled gluttony and supply bonuses, fixed
Never create provinces with no exits
New look for elf shot
New pretenders: Maharishi, Raksharani and the Celestial Carp
New province names
New tips
New weapon effect: Lesser swallow (can only be used on human size or smaller)
No seperate messages for items found after battle
Population cap to prevent overflow
Press 'i' for province info and history
Press 9 to show province names on map in map editor
Pretenders and some unique monsters knows more spells when independent
Print actual worth of thrones from when game was started
Print heal effect in site info.
Red numbers for Vortex of Unlife too
Robe of Caelium the Druid resistances 5 -> 10
Sanitize filenames before saving maps
Scale Walls ability for some assassins
Sea Trolls and Sea Dragon got darkvision
Sea province size didn't work for Bunch of random maps.
Seasonal mages
Shift+click to reverse AI difficulty selection
Shift+tab to go backwards in graphs
Shrinked affliction was not properly permanent
Speed up particle effects too when fast forwarding
Sprites from summon sprites shoots instead of doing a flying charge
Starting client with --ipadr cleared old connections.
Story events
Support for fancy 4K resolutions
Swallowed units are killed hard at end of battle.
T'ien Chi also gets indep commander at PD 20.
T'ien Chi will no longer get land troops in underwater PD.
The Iron and Silver throne spreads 2 dominion
The hero Sialuk got his proper name now
Thrones are now sorted by dominion spread
Transformation ritual could result in a shapeshifter eagle
Umbral summons corrected
Vafur flames improved
Very easy research setting
Victims of random event assassins didn't disregard orders
Volume setting no affects 'new turn ready' sound too
Whip of command commands more but gives morale penalty
Wraith Lord commander for ghost riders is back

MAC
Changed OSX priority for finding data directory
Mac version no longer default to multiple cpus for AI processing

MODDING

#defector should work now
#iceprot always had 2 as value
Commands #onlygeosrc, #onlygeodest, #likesterr, #hatesterr didn't work
Different maxages for shape changer forms now only prints a warning
New commands: #deathpower and #deathrec
possible to combine e.g. #nodemon and #noundead

OTHER
AI AI improved item distribution
AI AI improved research item creation
AI AI improved thug creation
AI forge improvements

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MrBims posted:

We talked about it in the irc, but for anyone still ooh-ing and awe-ing over the Carp, it is actually a pretty big trap. Gentleman is playing a modded game where the pretender is slightly better, but the stock values are simply unfeasible without some heavy gearing - 5 defense skill means regular 10 attack skill dudes have an 82% chance of hitting you, and length 0 weapons means your attacks will constantly be repelled. The low astral requires you pump points into it so you don't die to magic duel, increasing the cost of the pretender immensely. I'm all for trail blazing new strategies or using less-than-optimal units, but the Carp is pretty near the bottom of the pretender list where cost efficiency and benefits are concerned.

What if someone had the idea of using a Pretender with high Astral score in the first place? I don't think it can be said then that "increases thes cost of the pretender inmensely", you would spend the points in Astral in any case! But it's true that Pretenders with lots of hp and low defense are kind of a trap for new players. They seem a tank at first with 300 hp, then die against a mid sized normal army.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BTW, I was starting reading the Dom 3 AAR from the let's play archive, and in the unit assessment, I think the author totally misjudged the Agema companions.

quote:

Backing up a notch, the Agema Companion is a unit that I'm not quite sure I know how to use properly. It's an expensive unit with a huge, huge movement and a lance. Lances are a bit special - you get a large damage bonus on the first attack, but not after that. If I have a situation where I need to soften up a front line I might get these guys, but they'll probably die shortly after and I'm just not excited by that. I'm probably underestimating them, however.

I think that somehow, he read the hp, attack, protections, strength stats, but somehow his eyes glossed over defense 18? Because a lance+shield cavalry with defense 18, prot 14, morale 14 seems very decent to me. I never played Late Arco, but you could make the classical anvil + hammer tactic together with the Hoplites.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 14, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

Huh, the new Caelum archers have magic bows that do armor negating stun damage.
Source: Type 2547 into the Dom4 mod inspector. 2548 are the Iron Hail archers.
If you keep going sequentially, you can see the new Ahura gods which seems to be the new pretenders for Caelum.

2547 Blizzard Archer
2548 Iron Hail Archer
2552 Ahura of Wisdom
2553 Ahura of the Oath
2554 Ahura of the Waters
2555 Spenta Mainyu

For people that doesn't know how the inspector works, you simply can click on unit tab, click advanced, and then click in "id" to order the list by id. Now just look at the highest numbers.
Right now, both archers are sacred, but wingless and... commanders, not normal units. I wonder if it's something just temporal.
edit: hahah, the Frost Bow, being a frost bow, isn't compatible with fire bless.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 15, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Even more easy:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Microcline posted:

It looks like some weapons now have a listed material (for instance, short swords are "ferrous" and short bows are "flammable"). It seems we're going to get things like magnet spells and fire burning wooden items.

That's great, it goes very well with the Dominions style of spells and effects and units interacting in improvised, interesting combinations and logical cause and effects.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

It is an autocalc cost, see the #basecost at 10013, and the Mod Inspector is examining them as a commander. That actually adds 30 gold to their cost, not 20 (I misremembered earlier), so they look like they'll probably be 25/30 as units.

That would make more sense, a fair price for a sacred per12 archer with a magical bow with a special effect. Hard to amass like other archers, but with the appropriate bless I suppose it can be worth it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I Love You! posted:

Reposting from the other thread, but new players: watch your candles. Even if it's prior to turn 10.

People tanking their Dominion for ther a super tri-Bless?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

So, what are the things you, yes you, the reader, would nerf/buff if you wanted a balance patch?

Well, if all the veterans seems to agree that Order+3 is almost essential, maybe then Order is too good and it needs a nerf. There shouldn't be a scale that is clearly better than the others.
It gives +5% god, -2%events, -1 unrest reduction. Maybe the gold should be reduced to +4%?? That would be a nerf to Order3 of 3% less gold (+12 instead of +15).
I think that even then, lots of players would take it, but at least it should open up other scales combos a bit.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Something more polemic: lower the research costs of level 8-9 magic a bit. Don't reach the levels of Dom 3, but in Dom4 unless you play a super big map or the players don't know what they are doing (like not going to the enemy's jugular when they should), the winner is decided (>65% of the map in hands of a player) when you reach level 6 in a few paths, maybe level 7 in only a few games. Unless it's turtle player vs turtle player, you won't ever see level 9 spells/summons.
I understand it was too much in Dom3 and that's why it was nerfed, to make national armies matter. But... maybe they went a bit too far?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

Won't save you from spiders; spiders are assassinations and the target of an assassination is always unscripted.

That event has a fairly rare chance of happening, surely?

The lesson here is to give your non-combat Pretender a cheap chaff army just in case, even when moving in friendly territory. It won't solve all the dangerous situations, but it may help in 80% of them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-04-27 22:41:17 +0200
Ragha units and nationdata
Temple gemgen
Heatrecruit
Coldrecruit
Climateresist

quote:

can say with certainty that there is a new nation in the works. In the late era. Also, there are going to be some changes to certain existing nations that will shake up the lore and the lineups by quite a bit.

quote:

The entire nation is less affected by the extremes of the heat/cold scale than others.

New stuff: nations/units less affected by heat scale, exclusive recruit to heat or cold provinces and temples that generate gems. And changes to existing nations. I suppose Illwinter will apply some of the new stuff to existing nations, instead of just the new one.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That was my exact reaction! This morning I read the log, I thought "is it already done?!" and checked on Steam. Nothing, so I went to Desura and say the clarification. :( :(

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have Some Flowers! posted:

The problem with BoT is it's world-wide rather than only within the caster's dominion. You have to spend so much to mitigate even a small portion of its effect.

It has made me consider more gem-centric strategies though rather than focusing as much on raw income.

Exactly, how many turns accelerate BoT the aging of, for example, your average national mage? A normal one, not one that starts old already as some nations have.
How many turns need until they start receiving afflictions?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

It increases age by 5 a turn. Most mid-tier human mages start off in their 30s or 40s, so they will be old in 3-4 turns. High-tier human mages nearly always tend to be old, so that will make their existing condition worse. Abysians get it even worse since they're nearly all old, and start getting old at 35. The giant, elf nations (both viking and irish), Pangaea, Atlantis, and R'lyeh don't really care about Burden though.

Maybe, instead of increasing the gems needed for the ritual or increasing the level needed for it (Thaum5), they should nerf the effect a bit. A turn is a season, so BoT is increasing the aging by a factor of 20, maybe it should be a factor of 8.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

A turn is a month actually, it's increasing it by 60. You get a birthday every 6 days :yotj:

Uhh... right. What I was thinking. Other game.

I haven't played Dom4 in a while. Waiting now for the Caelum patch.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-05-14 16:00:11 +0200
Event update
Events can yield horror marks
Select unit shows more of the more interesting targets and at least 2

You are horror marked! He is horror marked! Horror marks for everyone!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it makes more sense to balance those ~150 spells that no one uses than introduce new one.

Also, the different schools of magic are supposed to be different. If each one (Earth, Fire, Air, etc) would have the equivlent set of anti thug, AoE damage, battlefield, summons, etc... yeah it would be balanced but the game would be more plain.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The patch should be out next week (from Illwinter in Desura forums)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Probably part of my problem: I was alternating between Niefel Jarls and 2 x Gygjas. I'm on 300% gold, 300% resources, and slowest possible research: I think I should have just gone all armies for the first few years.

That's some weird as poo poo settings. I suppose you wanted huge armies battling out without pesky mages messing the battle?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Big Sean posted:

Emboldened, I am now going to go complain about bloodhunting micro on Desura...

I always compared the blood micro with having little tax collectors in the game that go to every province and give little sacks of gold to couriers that travel to the nearest castle. In other words, totally stupid. What province to blood hunt is an interesting choice, but having to transfer and transport the slaves by hand is silly, it could been fully abstracted.

edit:

2014-06-21 20:25:34 +0200
Azi got his third head
Ahurani summon
All descriptions for Ragha finished
Air Bless gives range bonus
Range bug fix
AI can now upgrade forts
Spell AI less likely to target immobilized units
Gelatinous Cube now got an Acid Splash defensive ability
Swallow on trample no longer swallows those who evade the trample
Event bug fixes
Slave Markets and some other sites are less common

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, so that's the Guardian Spirit thing! I was curious about it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

The A1S1 Fravashi btw is spawned by Caelum's Prophet; their Prophet makes an A1S1 Fravashi at the start of every combat. He is of course always unscripted so good luck getting him to do anything useful.

jBrereton posted:

Free Awed 35hp ethereal monster with a magic attack, 15 shock/fire resist and its own spell table, pfft, basically worthless.

I said good luck my good sir! And good day!

I'm sure he will do something useful. Like attacking the enemy. So what if his actions won't be super efficient and maybe he will die in the process. He a free battle-only spawn, you can't keep it even if he survives at the end!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dev says:

quote:

0 on the Ahuras seems rather low =)
Consider it a gift to those who bravely start MP games with Ragha before there are opinions on them.
And the forgebonus on the icecrafters is not intended IIRC.
And the gryphon should be armored. EDIT: ah, it's just the sprite that is missing.

The balancing on Ragha in regards to the heat/cold recruitment is probably a bit whacky. Since the nation is quite different from earlier nations I do not expect it to be balanced yet, so any input is good.
I'm not sure about the Zhayedan cost. I used the Hunter spider as input, and Niefel Giant as something that likely should be more expensive and ended up at 125.

I have been a bit short on testing time and JK is always eager to release stuff (if it was up to me it would probably take a couple of weeks more before the patch was released :) ), so some balancing is probably needed.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How are u posted:

Hmmm I'm seeing a lot of people bitching about a perceived overpowered nation that hasn't been playtested at all and most importantly who are forgetting about the single most important strategy in Dominions: diplomacy.

Ehhh that's a bit too close to say that it doesn't matter if they release a OP nation because it will be solved through diplomacy. I.e. producing a MA Ermor-like situation where all players gang up on him because they knew it's OP, which counters the unbalance naturally.

But, following that line of thought, balance doesn't matter at all in the game!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

Moral of the story: STOP USING ONLY LEVEL ONE THRONES.

The problem was the setting of winning with 4 of 9. A setting of 6 of 9 would have been different (and more if people would have prepared for it!)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gilok posted:

This thread was started in September of last year, most of the OP seems to talk about Dominions 3 rather than Dominions 4, thread discussion starts at what's different from Dominions 3 and doesn't get to "here's what a new player should do and how all the nations play" within the first few pages. There are no Dominions 4 LPs in the LP forum or lparchive.org, and I'm pretty intimidated trying to learn this game, or even figure out where to start. Any pointers?

Have you read the manual already?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-07-09 21:24:07 +0200
Crown of Overmight autocasts its spell
Coast & cave income bonus for forts printed
No coast fort income bonus during storms or ice
Disciples have half the prison time of pretenders
New modding commands: #uwok, #nouw
Some pretender cost changes
Caelum can no longer have the Virtue
Berytos coast income bonus 25 -> 10
Flails extra bad underwater
Spenta and Gannag lose invulnerability
Ahura of water has reduced retinue

Balance time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

What the hell is with all these sudden UI improvements; have the devs decided that it's actually a good idea if the players understand how the game works?

The game has a looong way to come to have a decent UI, this part
"Coast & cave income bonus for forts printed" is barely a drop in the ocean.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

This looks cool, but i can't really commit to multiplayer games. Is this like civ, paradox games or total war where you can play singleplayer against the AI without missing any content or the true experience of the game?

But it when the game is in offer (50%-75%), that's cheap enough to have it and have some fun playing against the AI (even if after the first 5 games, the AI is truly lacking). They game is cool as poo poo in the themes and the variety it has, so it can be enjoyable just playing it against some AI punching bags.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Libluini posted:

Does the AI in Dom at least remember to dispel foreign globals? Or can you do something silly like casting BOT and win unopposed?

(I do remember making several AIs completely helpless just by plaing Lemuria with something like a death 10 pretender with death 3 scales. Every province I took was effectively lost forever. AI armies trying to take them back just evaporated in the empty wastelands I created.)

I don't think so. Undead nations break the game against AI in particular.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

With Def4 and Prot20 he will be a good meat wall, but with expiration date.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-07-28 23:17:42 +0200
Rain of Toads research 4->5, cost 10->20, unrest 40->30
Forest Dome research 7->6
Gift of Health research 6->7, nature 5->6
Some eventfixes
Nephilim sprite cleanups
Summon Se'ir -> Scapegoats (summons 2 se'ir)

But he won't tweak Burden of Time!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Samog posted:

Hey everybody check out the new let's play thread

Over/under of how many days until it's left unfinished? :P

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

One AI game is enough to get the basics of controlling, recruiting, etc.

If we are talking of just bare basics: how to recruit soldiers, how to move people around, how to research a magic school, how to build a fort or a temple, yeah you need just one game. While it's true that's 75% of the game, it isn't all even if we limit ourselves to basics, that's just the stuff shown in the tutorial including in the manual.

garth ferengi posted:

It took me like 10 games to get a hold of basic concepts, and I still have no idea how to approach most situations that I find myself in. I'm like, incredibly bad though

LordLeckie posted:

Yeah it took me about 10 dom3 games before i go to any point where i considered myself having a hang of the game and even then all my dom4 games have been huge learning experiences.

I would say 5 AI games to get basic proficiency, including scouting, supplies, the most common unit special effects, some basic synergies in armies/spells, how many temples to build and how to counter strong dominions, what pace of research is a good one, what pace of expansion in the first year you should aim for, making your first thug (and seeing how much they suck :P), magic path boosting, maybe a basic communion, playing one time a bless nation, playing one blood nation (so learning basic blood hunting), learning how to invade an underwater nation, the two variants of magic site searching, learning the importance of strategic movement, etc.

Stevefin posted:

Even I know its a lie. I have yet to really win against my nearby AI spawns, let alone an AI game and even further so a human MP game. I have yet to really find a play I can push past finding the AI and making pretty borders

Now, you are just bad :).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stevefin posted:

Funny enough this maybe the most useful post on a newbie level I have ever seen. Most of the time its this answer

And all of this comes down to time I don't have and experience I am lacking

The big secret you have to know about Dominions is that your odds of winning are 50% decided before you even start your first turn. It's a very front-loaded strategy game, we could say. I'm talking of what you choose before: nation, pretender, scales, bless, etc. Yep, 50%.
Take a nation that sounds "cool", pick a pretender that strikes you fancy, and distribute the points more or less even without a real plan in mind (as a first-time player surely do), and you will barely survive.

In the other hand, examine carefully the nation you are going to play, its strong and weak points, the possible synergies between units and spells, the possibilities of blesses, what magic in your Pretender could synergize with the national mages and what magic could complement the areas they lack, what scales are appropriate to maximize the strong points of the army and the economy, what magic path you need to bootstrap a magic booster production, what key spells you should research first, what troops are going to be your expansion army in the first year, if you should take an awake or dormant Pretender taken in account the previous point, etc, and your odds of winning will increase heavily.
It's all about synergizing Nation, Pretender, magic and scales.

Now, that's the general point, that's why people say IRC, because the possible synergy/strategy will be different in each nation and there are different options each.
After that, it's all about snowballing in the first years, take lots of territories, that means more riches, that means more troops and mages, that means more forces to take even more territories, etc.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Libluini posted:

I forgot to add, pick a pretender that strikes your fancy, distribute the points like you want and lead your cool nation to certain doom. Just have fun with it, winning is for losers anyway. Experience comes automatically after a couple dozen games. No need to rush to it without having fun, you know?

Of course the point is having fun :D, but the discussion was about how to win and hints for new players or people playing AI. My point is that new players can miss the importance of the "prior choices" the game have. I don't feel it's as important in other fantasy strategy games.

I'm the first in believe that Dominions is cool because it has cool nations, lots of units, spells and weird poo poo happening. In fact I still think AI games are "enjoyable", because it's about that.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 14, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What's the best Pretender to try a SC strategy in the mid game with him? What chassis and items to go for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stevefin posted:

And that is kind of what I find the problem is, what should be simple questions to get a hang of basic mechanics ends up with 'its complicated. spend half a day on IRC to find out' as I don't have the time for in between work and other daily things, and that IRC does not keep a record to help with a 'goto' while I learn these mechanics.

Stuff like that picture modifiers under units and what some actually do, some are straight forward(flying,injured,Strong against attack type) and than some like Ethereal. which means they are a ghost. but what does that mean on a mechanical point of view in the game? Does it not take damage from normal weapons? or less damage from normal weapon? This one I did try and got very confusing results with no real answer as to why. And research magic, I keep reading this is the most important factor in the game, but with no real explanation as to why.

And than there is the Nations and Pretender Gods. Again for a simple answer of 'what should I focus as XX nation' tends to end up with 'its complicated' as the answer, And than the Pretenders, such as what is really the difference between the different type of Gods? Such as how does Humanoid Archmages, Dragons, Titans and Statues differ besides the obvious like dragons are dragons and statues can't move. I don't even know where to begin with assigning points to my God and realm and how much do they really impact overall.

Have you read the entire manual? It has an example of the writer looking at Bogarus, seeing what units are worth and what aren't, in what the mages are good, and choosing then his plan of action.
Basically, you have to look:

-Army, what units are good, and what units are bad? Is there any obvious synergy in between them? For example, you are supposed to use Salamanders and Beast trainers together with EA Abysia. If you have a good mage with battle spells (say Thunderstrike) and cheap and tough spearmen, the answer is obvious, lots of mages to attack with a wall of spearmean to hold the line.
-Is there any unit with some special ability or just being plain weird? Can you think how it should be used?
-Holy units, can you build a lot, or only in the capital? are they good? If the answer is yes, maybe you should think doing a heavy bless strategy for the game.
-Mages, what will you have? What high spells can they cast, eventually? What good spells can they "almost cast", and they can with a little help in the form of gems or empowerment? In between all the spells, any good synergy with your army? If you have lots of archers maybe you want Fire Arrows or Wind Guide.
-Magic path boosting. There is a reason they made a chart in the manual. Use it. Sometimes with it you can see how you level 2 Nature mages can be level 4 with them. You may want to spend a few points of your Pretender for some key magic that will later allow boost all your mage abilities in that way.
-Try the nation in a fast test game. Have their troops problems to expand fast in indie provinces, or is the other way? If they have problems, maybe you want to go with a combat awake pretender to compensate and he will help with the expansion.
-Scales. Is your army gold heavy or resource heavy? What's the constraint factor when you recruit your troops? You want to pick order and productivity scales to compensate and maximize the number of troops you can recruit in any given turn. Magic scale: can you recruit lots of cheap researcher, or a few expensive but very good ones? If it's the first case a positive magic scale will benefit you the most, if the latter a negative scale won't be as bad as for others.
-And lots more. Communion uses, special abilities of your nation (like cheaper temples or being a roman ghost), national spells and summons etc

• Locked thread