Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Does anyone know anything about how the reincarnation trait works? I've been throwing white ones into random fights for 20 minutes and I haven't noticed anything happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

uPen posted:

It's really rare. I blew up a communion with over a hundred white ones and I got like 3-4 back.
Guess I wasn't throwing enough white ones around then - or throwing them hard enough. I suppose it has to be a low chance to activate, since its on some pretty good units.

amuayse posted:

When a guru/yogi dies of old age it has a chance of +1 for your dominion. But most of the time, their death is violent so they become other units.
What have they reincarnated as? I'm really curious about the trait, especially for the higher ranking monkeys.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Dirk the Average posted:

You could also consider Pangaea - their mages summon maenads for free just by existing. Modifying commanders to either actively summon or passively summon is generally easier to balance and modify compared to Ermor's freespawn. The other problem is that Ermor's freespawn are balanced around the idea that Ermor has no real monetary income to speak of. This means that they don't hire mages, can't really afford units with upkeep, and have to pay death gems out the wazoo to get any decent research done.

Or Asphodel - they have some interesting mechanics, even if I'm having a hard time figuring out how to exploit them.

What do people feel about Asphodel in general? I can't help feeling like I need to sacrifice too much to actually use their free-spawn, and take scales I don't necessarily feel like taking. At the same time, without that free-spawn Asphodel is just a nation with two magic paths and Pangaea's expensive troops - not exactly enticing. It honestly feels like I need to put points into everything but a bless, to make Asphodel do anything.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

amuayse posted:

Well less instances of SHAMERFUR DISPRAY with the crabs and sharks having high morale and being able to hit pretty hard. The fact most ocean dwellers are naked helps too.

Hey, just a friendly piece of advice here: Your racial jokes don't play so well, so maybe cut them out in the future? And no, before you even say it, the fact that it is an internet meme doesn't help.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Is MA Ermor even more powerful in Dominions 4 than LA Ermor was in Dominions 3? StR means nothing to them, major death bless is now fantastic on Knights of the Unholy Sepulchre, most of their units can do formations for free morale-wise, their high map-move is even stronger now that everyone is slowed down - it just seems like a straight up buff on a lot of fronts, for an already very powerful nation.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

builds character posted:

In dom3 at least dual major tigers were serious business for expansion.

Tigers have one more protection and cost 30 gold less in Dom4, so I'd say they're even more serious business expanders now.

Speaking of blesses, does anyone have some experience with new EA Agartha, particularly their sacred olm units? I'm always tempted to go for a major fire bless, because it means that at least most of my sacreds are capable of killing a thing (and the olms become extra capable of killing a thing), even if the rest of my recruitables can't hit poo poo.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

amuayse posted:

and flaming weapons don't apply to magic attacks so it probably won't do a lot.

Ahh, I thought flaming weapons applied to everything now - I missed the part where magic attacks weren't included. That sort of ruins my idea then, especially with boulder throwers being so bad.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Pangea is so fun to play when casting Transformation turns into Bizzaro Niefel Jarl roulette:

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Neruz posted:

Well I guess sometimes Pan is a Niefel Jarl.

What happens if you transform him again?

He can use his Change Shape ability all he wants, between Great Eagle and Niefel Jarl:

Transformation is probably my favorite Dominions spell.

Azram Legion fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 11, 2013

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Neruz, here's some more criticism from a few hours of playing around with your mod:

In a nutshell, I think you have to ask yourself if you really want it to be balanced. Your nation is stronger than all vanilla nations by far. It doesn't really matter which aspect of it you consider - every single part is superior to almost everything else in the game. That's fine for a purely thematic nation meant for playing around in single player - and for that purpose it is very fun. But there is such a long way down the power-scale, to anything resembling balance, since every unit - except for the two "experimental weapon" commanders - is highly specialized, highly elite, incredibly inexpensive and (for most of them) widely available.

The best example is probably the Ursa Lord, which is recruitable from all mountain provinces with a lab. Ursa Lords have awe 3, fear 8, 28 protection, 67 hp, 3 high-damage attacks, 16 morale and a mapmove of 3 (with forest and mountain survival). Basically, if you start on a mountain province or can take one early, you can switch all of your expansion duties to Ursa Lords, because they are essentially mini super-combatants out of the box, easily able to rout every alive indie with very low risk of afflictions. That's for 70 gold 25 resources out of every mountain province with an 800 gold lab. Labs being expensive doesn't really mean much to this nation, since it has more gold and resources by default and is likely to go with a strong scales build pretender, so the extra cost of labs doesn't really slow down the nation at all. Compare it to Hinnom's Melqart, which gets fear 5, prot 19, 69 hp, 2 high-damage attacks, 15 morale, mapmove 3 (with wasteland survival) for 485 gold and 121 resources. Sure, you can bless the Melqart or have him self-buff later in the game or forge equipment, but it won't be until mid-game - and a significant gem investment - that a Melquart gets close to the performance of one Ursa Lord, let alone 485 gold in Ursa Lords. I haven't even tried giving Ursa Lords forged gear - or using the regular Ursa Knights - because Awe is really really really good when mixed with fear 8.

Gryphon Lords and Knights aren't as bad, but are still really, really far from balanced. You could remove all of the special abilities except for trample (like the A1E1 paths, the master smith ability, the siege bonus and so on) and they would still be incredibly powerful. Let's look at the regular troop version to show this: A flying, size 5, 22 AP, 27 protection, 15 MR and morale, 44 HP trampling unit for 65 gold 30 resources, from all mountain provinces (no lab necessary) is very far from the power-curves of other nations. An elephant costs the nation of Bandar Log 100g, 20 resources, for which they get a size 6, 18 AP, 11 protection, 6 MR (!) and 9 morale (!), 64 HP trampler. That can't fly and is an animal. Even just comparing these stats makes the gulf between them clear, but the Gryphon Lords/Knights have a lot more than just that going for them. They also have 2 high-attack okay-damage attacks when their trample isn't enough, but the real winner is their magic, range 16, 14 prec, 25 damage, AoE 1 weapon. They can basically fight any other recruited vanilla unit in the game gold for gold and come out far ahead. And they fly with a mapmove of 4.

Even if you up the prices of units like the above with a factor of 5, they'd still be worthwhile. Awe 3 on a gigantic unit with high fear and 28 protection, that can expand on its own, is something I could see a use for at 350 gold and maybe even at 700 gold. The same goes for their basic units, their national summons, their unique site-searching spell (which covers both earth and fire for 1 earth gem), the crazy ranged units - they are all superb units, that all other nations would call their best units if they had access to them - and still among their best even if the cost was much higher. If you want to get anywhere close to balancing this nation against vanilla nations, you will have to make pretty much everything weaker and more fragile as well as a lot more expensive. I haven't even touched on mages yet, but everything I've said about other units goes double for them! The cap-only mages are flat out impossible to balance, with everything you want them to have - Deep Consuls can potentially have S8 out of the box, even if the odds are low, for instance. Artificers have 27 research for 275 gold (StR) and are mundane researchers. Once they're done researching, they are mages with F1A1W1E1 + 350% picks in those same paths and astral. In other words, the odds of getting fantastic combat casters that can utilize cross-path spells are very good.

What I'm trying to point out is that I'm not sure you can keep the flavor of your nation if you want to balance it. Right now the nation plays like god-mode Dom4 - you can pick from a long list of really cool, excellent looking units and pretty much be guaranteed that they will flatten the AI in a fun way. There's a lot to discover in your mod - and some of it is really interesting, like the nation specific construction summons or the Earthshaker Cannon. The way I see it, you either keep the nation balanced roughly as it is now, as a fun, play-around-in-single-player mod, or you'll have to tone down everything, up the cost of everything and remove a lot of special abilities, to the point making it a lot less thematic.

Either way, I really enjoyed playing around with it as is and you've obviously put a lot of work into it. I hope you can use the feedback.

Edit: Mixed up temples and labs in the above, since they are both 800 gold. All the forestrec/mountainrec units require labs, including the non-sacred but H1 wilder shaman.

Azram Legion fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 2, 2014

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Neruz posted:

Castle Crushers being batshit insane is entirely intentional. Almost all the ritual costs are too low though due to me failing to understand how fatigue translated into gem cost on rituals.

There's also a real issue with the scaling summons scaling waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast that I need to consider.

The question I was trying to bring up, is what is your end goal in balancing? Do you want the nation to be fair in a competitive game? If that's the case, you are going to have to give up/heavily tone down most of the unique aspects of the nation, which I feel would be a shame.

It is a very nicely crafted, creative, thematically coherent nation - it is just so far up the power-scale that it can't be compared to existing vanilla nations. If it were me, I'd just leave it as powerful as it is now, outside of some summon cost adjustments, and spend a little time polishing it. It is probably going to be a lot easier to make your next mod more balanced (and please do make more mods! I really like your ideas and the breadth of changes in this one, no matter the balance) after you've learned from this one. Although, you/others could also keep future nations balanced around this one if you wanted, creating some kind of super-powered dom4 mode with nice sprites and tons of options. I'd play that.

(Gryphon *s have a messed up second sprite by the way, that makes the background white instead of transparent. It makes it look even crazier when 30 of them are trampling infantry)

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

goatface posted:

He looks friendly. You should have converted him.

I'm not sure if it goes for other nations, but for MA Ermor that event gives you the mummy as a commander.

Edit: Forgot to add that I got it as a commander after completing a "story-line" thing where I moved a Dusk Elder to the site and kept it there for a while.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Penguingo posted:

So, uh, dinosaurs. 90 gold recruitable fear-8, compared to 200 gold slow-to-recruit fear-5 Sirrush from Ur. Is that not a little bit powerful? People were chastising the dwarfmod dude for having easy access to recruitable fear, after all.

I haven't tried the Dom4 version of dinomod yet, so I can't speak to that, but the balance-problem with the dwarfmod Ursa Lord wasn't just fear - it was the the combination of all the different stats and abilities. That is, it was essentially a recruitable mini-SC, because it was almost impossible for normal humans to hit in melee (high awe), almost impossible to damage with normal weapons (prot in the high 20ies), with great melee attacks and very high HP. Adding high fear to that meant it could take on and defeat large numbers of less-than-elite troops, alone, without gear or support, because it was close to invincible in melee against them. Awe, incredible protection, high HP and fear is a lot more deadly than "just" high HP and fear.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
If you haven't tried the Random Nation Generator yet, then I don't think you want to have fun.

Meet the Glorious Nation of Hawsaton
- Rise of the Blizzard Mages

Hawsaton is a nation of Atlantians, Abyssians and Demonbred, that starts on land. As the name implies, the nation is home to powerful Atlantian air and water mages, foremost of which is the Blizzard Prince:

Blizzard Princes can only be recruited from the capital of Hawsaton, unlike the nation's lesser but useful mages, the Blizzard Mystics and Magi:

Recently, a wave of rebellious Abyssians have even started doing the unthinkable, studying magic that isn't fire!

In battle, the mighty armies of Hawsaton are led by the powerful Avenging Masters,

and seen to by the Arch Bishops of the holy Faith religion:

Hawsaton's powerful shock troopers – the aptly named Avenging Avengers – take especially well to the blessings of their Pretender:

Yet, as every Hawsatonian knows, war never stands still. Therefore, the Hawsatonian military engineers have recently rolled out a powerful new form of vehicular technology: The Fossilized Giantmobile. Led by the daring Commanders,

the light Fossil Riders serve to screen the enemy,

while the very slightly heavier troops move into position,

The military might of Hawsaton is supreme!

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Cardiovorax posted:

Where in the manual? I can only find that vague list of new stuff right in the beginning, which isn't very comprehensive.

I don't understand what exactly you are expecting, here, from a game developed by two people in their free time. There's the list you already know about in the manual, you can probably find a few fan-compiled ones (that you'd have as good odds of finding on google as anyone else), and there's the changelog http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/changelog/ . Beyond that, the big question is whether or not you want to play multiplayer, use new/updated mods, have a continually improving/patched game and so on. If you are content with playing Dom3 as it was when Dom4 was released, then just stick with that?

Azram Legion fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 8, 2014

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't really play multiplayer, so I basically just want to know whether there's enough new content to keep me entertained in singleplayer for a while, because I basically played Dom3 to death. I've been a fan of the series for ages, but 25€ is a lot of money for me right now. I guess I can just wait for the next sale, though.

Sorry I'm a bit late replying to this. As someone who is also primarily interested in singleplayer, I wouldn't say that the new content itself has been what I've appreciated the most. It takes a relatively short time to experience most of the new content that's interesting to you, since the majority of units, items and spells are unchanged from Dom3. The changes to base mechanics, balance-based additions (like water or death alternatives to mistform for thugs) and upgrades to the UI are what made the purchase worth it for me - not things like a few new nations or a few new summons. As I said in my last post, being able to use new user-created content also does a lot for me, so if you feel similarly, I'd take that into consideration.

I feel Dom4 is a good example of a game being the product of an iterative process, rather than a narratively/thematically/mechanically distinct product like some game-sequels are.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

I Love You! posted:

Remember kids, Blood/Astral mixed with decent spammable battlemagic is the answer to all things!

Isn't this sort of the same as saying "This toolbox full of flexible tools is the only tool I need"?

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

jBrereton posted:

The prostrat is to cast Burden of Time and win with a gigantic dompush, obviously.

You're missing a crucial part of this strategy: Empowering all your mages in death magic and having them all cast Twiceborn, obviously!

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
There is something particularly hilarious about Western, modern males arguing that strength and aggression are male-favoring biotruths that MUST be preserved in their escapist fantasy, when the majority of them spend their lives as thoroughly removed from physical exertion and confrontation as possible.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Libluini posted:

Holy loving poo poo, this is brilliant. I've to try and test this today.

Make it a giant crucible full of molten gold. Add text that explains that it fuels all summons by transforming molten gold into magic, as a sort of reverse alchemy.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
I've made a really stupid thing...

http://thisisnotajumpscare.com/dom4/EAWuTang-01.zip
I guarantee it is 100% balanced for competitive play, and that none of the sprites are at all similar - or hacked together from random other sprites! I only make the highest quality dom4 mods.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

IAmThatIs posted:

This is an amazing thing and I love you for it :3:

Quick question about the tour managers. Their description says that they have awe, but in game they don't. Second, they've got -6! inspirational, which is... rough.

I'm glad to hear you like it! I wasn't sure if anyone else would enjoy this particular blend of nerdy references.

About the tour managers, the awe mentioned in the description is from an earlier version, where some random error kept giving them awe. I managed to fix the awe, but forgot about the description, so nice catch! The -6 inspirational is intended - tour managers are good at moving people around and feeding them, not at actually leading them. I've fixed their text, toned their inspiration malus down to -4 and raised their supply bonus to 72, to make them a bit more usable.

Download link:
http://thisisnotajumpscare.com/dom4/EAWuTang-01-1.zip

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Nakar posted:

Needs a human pretender option so I can run Ol' Dirty Bastard, Dirt McGirt, Big Baby Jesus, The Man of All Rainbows, Keeper of the 36 Chambers, Protector of Necks.

Also needs more RZA and Method/Red plus Inspectah Deck as a hero (patrol bonus?).

RZA is already present in his divine glyph form: Bobby Digital Glyph. I'll probably make some more summons in the future, to cover more Wu-Tang members and other legendary figures. Here are a few things I've been thinking about adding:

- Ol' Dirty Bastard remote summon - how does a stealthy, unrest creating, plague spreading disease monster sound?
- Event chain quest called "Tribe"
- Artifact path booster called the Aesop Rock.
- Weredogg summon

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Demiurge4 posted:

Do immortal beings heal afflictions when they reincarnate?

They just straight up heal afflictions over time - they don't need to die to heal them.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They get a bunch of checks when they die and reform too. If you have for example a lich with a missing head it will be faster to repeatedly suicide him in friendly dom than it will be to just wait.

Ah, that makes perfect nonsense.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
All I care about is finding out where The Wu Tang Empire is on that tier list. If it isn't S+ I need to release a buff patch.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

jBrereton posted:

Don't worry it's C.R.E.A.M. rank. The highest one.

That's reassuring to hear. I wouldn't want to be the first modder to release a nation that isn't horribly overpowered - it's a tradition as old as modding itself, after all.

You also just gave me the idea to add a minor non-national gem-gen spell called G.R.E.A.M. in the next patch, so, thanks!

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
I sort of miss the days when Rudras were super combatant engines of destruction and mayhem, rather than expensive thug-mage summons. Sure, it is probably better for the game overall that SCs aren't as dominant, but Rudras are cooooool!

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
I've been playing around with tri-bless MA Ermor, and it really is a lot of fun. So far my favorite build is N9D9B9. It doesn't pack the punch of N9D9W9, but that B9 makes it very hard to counter my super tough sacreds with priests/early mages. Are there any other cool builds I should try?

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Is there a rationale behind taking illithid instead of great olms?

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Mu. posted:

Is this all of the goon-made nation mods? ---> SA Nation Mods

I'm not seeing my fantastic and perfectly balanced rap-themed mod here and that angers me.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Mu. posted:

give me a link m8

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568182&pagenumber=210&perpage=40#post438956521

It didn't occur to me to link it earlier because I was seething with fury over the disrespect to my mod.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Mu. posted:

I fixed the broken weapons in Sawaikii and added both it and Wu-Tang to Awful Nations. We can now also delete awful_items.dm because Enjoy got his poo poo together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scyaup6zck35msg/awful_nations.rar?dl=1

Everything SEEMS to be working normally for me so at this point you could probably try hosting multiplayer games using it.

Thanks for the "With deepest respect" message in the spreadsheet - not only did it properly restore my modsculinity, it also made me laugh.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
So are people actually going to be playing with the goon mod collection in multiplayer? Because uhm... whoever is playing Wu Tang should probably take luck and, then, regardless of what else they plan on using. The four heroes may be a tiny bit overpowered, and are probably worth the cost of luck 1-3. And maybe consider production, because my very intoxicated play-testing always ended with me just building enough Killa Beez to flood the world, and that worked out very well.

Edit: Actually, looking through that list again, I'm not sure Wu Tang is that powerful. We make some silly mods in this forum, don't we?

Azram Legion fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 7, 2016

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Culka posted:

I updated my indy randomizer tool( https://github.com/culka/randominions4 ), it can now read nation mod files and create independents from them.

There's also a MA game in the private games thread if someone wants to test it out!

This is really cool - I like the dom4 nation gen a whole lot, and it sounds like this will go great with it!

Which reminds me: How did the awful nations mod game(s?) play out? I've been curious to hear about that particular brand of crazy, but forgot all about it.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

MF_James posted:

As expected, very awfully, I think badnationsv1 is still going (maybe?) but it used moo's mod thrones and decrepus got a throne that allows him to recruit a thing for 300gp that is basically a BFG and will wipe out armies solo because it regens 50hp+ a turn and poops gas, also it has mm3 or something dumb.

That sounds like the perfect outcome, all things considered.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Archenteron posted:

Please port the Wu Tang mod to Dom5 immediately on release tia

If the modding is still easy to do in 5 then I will waste some hours at the office doing this at some point shortly after release, and maybe implement some of the other dumb ideas I never got around to. I swear on my honor as a Wu Tang Modsman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

jBrereton posted:

It is exactly the same more or less and most of it still works fine even in the beta.

There'll be some new commands, and some old unit and spell IDs that have changed, but nothing too crazy has gone on.

That is honestly great to hear!

• Locked thread