Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought it was suspicious the paparazzi would care about Dee's appearance on Conan, but I ignored it figuring "its just tv." Then the reveal came and I realized I was Dee all along.

Bravo, show. Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The crabs have machine guns. That makes sense.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I will never not love Frank's money-making schemes. Its such a great touch that he's this incredible businessman who gets richer every year despite living and acting like a hobo.

Conquistador posted:

I thought it was pretty good, the only part I didn't get real down with was the very end after frank tells the gang theyve been duped, only to get immediately duped again...by the very plan he told them he was going to be doing next. Not a big deal, just kinda eye roll inducing.

Except that's exactly what happens in real life. We only roll our eyes because people on tv aren't supposed to be as stupid as the people next door.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

This season of the league so far seems really stuck in a rut and not forwarding their humor. Yobogoya and public making GBS threads, DRAIDS, Dre being completely oblvious to completely obvious euphemisms, Ruxin saying forever unclean. I dunno, at least Sunny seems to make fun of their callbacks.

The League reminds me a lot of New Girl in that its only funny if you can identify with wealthy, white metrosexuals who act like teenagers despite being in their early 30s.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
That's too many black guys, dude. The ratio is off. THE RATIO IS OFF!

I love that Carly Ray Jepsen is just playing in the background throughout the whole episode. Everybody at either bar is presumably over 21, but they're playing pop songs that only really appeal to 13 year-old teeny-boppers.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

I'll one up it with a bar that has fishbowls and plays to an 90s nostalgia crowd. Hanging out with people in their early 20s who still get excited when they hear the Spice Girls is awwweeesome.

No one under 25 should be excited to hear the Spice Girls considering that their first and only hit was released 17 years ago. The pathetic early 20s crowd should be into Green Day, Kelly Clarkson and Gorillaz.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think it might have been more geared towards lampooning shows like Game of Thrones or True Blood, that are full of hosed-up sexual poo poo, but still considered art and awesome

No one considers True Blood art, but yeah, True Blood featured a scene where the historical Salome performed the dance of the seven veils for a confederate vampire before engaging in violent, high-speed vampire sex.

Conquistador posted:

I'm not going to even cite any of the parts because it was literally pretty much every part.

And its airing the week of the Emmys.

The subtext is literally impossible to miss.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Half of me thinks they need to split between Cable and Network for shows as it's not really fair to compare the two, but that's a call for progress and this is the Emmys/TV industry we're talking about so lol no chance.

The network/cable split might help Sunny snag a nomination, but the awards would still go to high-brow, high-profile comedies like Veep, Louie and Girls.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

El Murguista posted:

I've had trouble showing it to people with little English knowledge because of that. On second thought, maybe the reason they didn't like it wasn't the language, but rather they weren't the "under the bridge" crowd this show appeals to...

I'd love to know if and how well this show plays overseas. Its such a quintessentially American show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Advice posted:

I don't think this would work at all unless they made it a whole new character who is funny or interesting in some way.

So basically a Waitress episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Just wanted to point out that Dee dies in Mac's dream because Dennis shoves her into the ninja's path.

FogHelmut posted:

PA is all kinds of weird. You can only buy cases and kegs of beer at beer distributors. You can only buy wine and liquor at state owned stores. There are other odd places that you have to find if you want to buy 6-packs and 40's. I suppose a gas station could sell beers if it was specifically licensed to do so.

Technically, only restaurants can be licensed to sell six-packs in PA. Some gas stations, like Sheetz, can get away with it because they have large dining areas and deep pockets.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

squeegee posted:

you could only buy from this weird automated kiosk that had a little thing you had to breathe into to prove you weren't intoxicated. Totally unrealistic

Those "automated" kiosks were actually manned by good union folk down in Harrisburg. :911:

I always scoff at the top shelf liquors they have behind the bar. A real bar of Paddy's type would be serving poo poo like Windsor Canadian, Tortilla Silver and Dekuyper Schnapps, not the $50-100/bottle stuff they have on their shelves.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Do people actually eat hotdogs by thumbing the dog forward? It seems like you'd be left with nothing but bun after two or three bites.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Man, everybody on their Facebook page absolutely hates the show. The ratings drop is also kinda depressing. From 1.5 a few years ago to 0.5 today. That's not just bad, that's NBC bad.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

DT requires some pretty serious alcohol abuse, though. As far as I know, most cases are in people who are intoxicated most of the day, every day.

Yeah, I've known a lot of alcoholics in my time and the only ones who would get severe DTs were those who drank a minimum of a half gallon of 80 proof spirits or 3+ liters of wine a day.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
As great as all of Charlie's stuff was, the gang huffing gas and spending two days unconscious on the floor of the bar was my favorite part of the episode. What a perfect way to write them out of Charlie's plot.

"Deandre, are you holding onto the trap?"
"Oh. I don't.. I don't know." :feelsgood:

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 24, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does anyone know what the next episode is? There's not many left this season, I think.

2 more left. Next episode: Lethal Weapon 6

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Charlie is probably not as stupid as he usually acts, he's just illiterate and is constantly put down by the gang, not to mention constant substance abuse, he's probably only a bit less intelligent than Dennis maybe a bit more than Mac.

Dennis is well-spoken, but he's just as big a dummy as Mac and Charlie.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know what a salt-skinned baked potato is, but it sounds amazing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

Take a gander at the full menu on their poorly designed website.

http://www.tukeessportsgrille.com/menu/

Craft Greens :lol:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The 90s.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

victorious posted:

I think Frank makes him eat lemons at one point, but that's not really in the same league.

That was the episode that gave us Dennis & Dee's amazing podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zaVUN5H06w
"You can run from the oil."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SpitztheGreat posted:

Wow, I honestly expected the mood in this thread to be very depressed. I'm clearly in the minority but I found this season to be extremely blah.

No, I completely agree. I'm sure a few episodes will get better with time, but with one exception, I don't think there were any classically good episodes this season. The exception is, of course, the awards episode. There isn't a single weak scene/joke in the whole episode and its probably the funniest Mac has ever been. I still laugh when I think about Mac jizzing in the drinks.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Time for Dee to bang the Waitress, I guess.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Do not diddle kids
It's no good diddling kids

I wouldn't do it with anybody younger than my daughter
And no little kids

Got to be big
Younger than my wife
But older than my daughter

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

At least its better than wine in a box. I wonder what kind of expiration dates aluminum cans have.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

Man, Kaitlin Olson was *wasted* in that movie.

:stare:

..what? I just saw that movie a few weeks ago and don't remember Kaitlin Olsen at all.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Zsinjeh posted:

Paul F. Tompkins is great :allears:

Except when he's laughing at his own jokes, laughing out of courtesy or laughing to fill the silence. Then he's just obnoxious.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 8, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Turtlicious posted:

Did Danny Devito just kill a woman?

Can you be more specific?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
A mistake? We're twins. We were born at the same time. It doesn't make sense.
TELL THAT BITCH IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

TELL HER SHE'S A BITCH!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sammus posted:

If you can relate to them, there is probably something wrong with you. Well, maybe Charlie is relatable. Who wouldn't want to hang out under bridges, hunt for treasure in the sewer, huff paint, and catch ghouls.

I've been Mac more times than I care to admit.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You got: Artemis
YOU ARE THE POOP MASTER.

I feel like there's no way to win that game.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Attention Horse posted:

Just started watching this show last week, it's so loving awesome. 4th season just absolutely killed me, and everything Charlie says and does is pure gold. Are the later seasons still awesome, or is there a decline in quality?

Seasons 8 & 9 are definitely more self-referential and reflective than earlier seasons. I really liked 8, but thought 9 became too referential. Your mileage may vary.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Frank helping the hapless kid fix the printer will always be the highlight of that episode for me. That, and Dee's Canadian accent.

"Did I just do your job for you?"
Grrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrr

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sammus posted:

I wish they would go back to that bar every week so we could find out.

A season-long plotline where the gang kept going to that bar and gradually making things worse for everybody would be incredible. At the end of the season its basically Paddy's and they're all crack addicts.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mar5JjRXlRY

This maybe?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Gang Solves the Ukraine Situation

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Babygravy posted:

As factual as it is, where would the humour be in a plot like that? Relieve the problem by getting them on crack?

Stealing a liver from сверчок, obviously.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Dennis knows rape is bad, but he doesn't consider anything he does rape because he's a sociopath.

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PittTheElder posted:

At the very least, can we please avoid a discussion on the technical definition of rape?

Yeah, really. The last season ended with the gang locking a half dozen of their closest friends in a burning apartment. You're not scoring any points when you point out that they're awful people.