Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

If I can stop and they have the right of way, I stop and wait for them to pass, of course. That's... how you drive.

To be honest, i can't be bothered to argue over this anymore.

I'm fitting my rear air horn, if you don't like it, don't come to North London or don't walk behind my van when i'm reversing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Edit: I don't actually care.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

See? There's a proper reason for an airhorn!

Only if he's going in reverse. :colbert:

PCOS Bill posted:

Oh, thank you for that reminder too, I need to order that Stebel Nautilus I've been eyeing for years. My bike's horn makes an adorable but useless toot.

Look into Amber Valley too, they're supposed to be very good, and louder than a Nautilus.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Deedle posted:

Pedestrians aren't drivers in the eyes of the law where I live, and because they aren't drivers they cannot have right-of-way.

Where is this place of sense and clear thinking???

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Deedle posted:

The Netherlands. Pedestrians aren't drivers, so they can't have right-of-way. Pedestrians are just part of 'traffic'. Ofcourse there are situations where you have to "allow all other traffic to proceed", but it is never technically worded in a way that pedestrians have right-of-way. For example you have to stop at a zebra crossing if a pedestrian is crossing or about to cross. The violation for non-compliance is categorised as a failure to stop, like at a stop sign or red light, not as a failure to yield right-of-way.

Though don't get your hopes up too much. There's also a law which states that in the case of a collision between a party who must have Insurance by law (motorists, mopeds, segways etc) and a party who isn't required to have insurance (bicyclists, pedestrians, herds of cattle etc) the party who is required to have insurance is always liable for damages to the other, even if the non-insured party was at fault.
So if a drunk student runs his bicycle into the fender of your Miata, your insurance is going to have to pay for his bent wheel and you have to drag his rear end to court and sue at ridiculous expense to get any money to fix up your car.

Hmm, brings back frustrating fond memories of driving through Amsterdam, dodging stupid tourists and 100mph locals on bicycles.

Amsterdam taxi drivers are amazing, give no fucks, yield to no-one, do 60kph everywhere.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

Does driving in England involve a lot of backing up in the middle of the street or something?

While i don't want to restart that argument, London is a tightly-packed city, small roads, small spaces, dead ends. I frequently have to reverse in/out of such roads and dead ends, up alleyways, etc.

Even when they have right of way, people blindly walk out behind a moving vehicle, and as careful as you are, you can't watch every angle at once, no matter how slowly you're moving. It only takes a fraction of a second for someone to step out 2' into your path. There are plenty of time you're reversing out of an access road that crosses a pavement where people actually walk behind you and stop and stand in your path. Right of way or not, i can't sit there all day waiting for them to move, or keep getting out asking them to.

I have to reverse around open/blind corners, down roads due to obstructions, etc all day. This is not a city with all big roads.

As for reversing to parallel park, yes, people do step into the space you're reversing into, in order to cross the road. They're oblivious to the danger they put themselves in. My van has a big blind spot, i can have an entire car in it while driving, if they're close enough.

Right of way or not, sometimes they're just in the way and need to be told. I have honestly sat there, with all the lights going, revving the engine and beeping the horn while some oblivious/arrogant idiot stands behind me in my path. I could get out, get them to move, get back in, stick it in gear, take off the handbrake and have another idiot walk behind me. I'm genuinely not interested in right of way, i'm interested in the safety of those around me, and getting my job done. Getting beeped at is preferable to getting run over.

We disagee on the topic, sure, you're welcome to come here and see these idiots for yourself.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

Okay, maybe in that case, you have a point. I had no idea there existed a place where reversing outside of a parking situation was legal or regularly done, and I've certainly never seen a place where people will actually stand and loiter behind a vehicle with its reverse lights on. I'm thinking, like, you're backing out of a parking spot in a parking lot, and someone decides to walk behind you as they're allowed to do in a parking lot. It struck me as slightly prickish to honk at them when you could just wait for them to pass.

But, I suppose if it's actually a significant issue and other possibilities have been exhausted, then it makes sense. I've never seen someone simply stop right in the path of a vehicle, moving forward or backward, unintentionally.

The access to my old shop is a prime example, it's an alleyway off a main road, dropped kerb, so it crosses a pavement/sidewalk. The entrace is a little under 9' wide, with straight walls on either side so no round-corner visibility. (My van is a little over 7' wide with the mirrors.) There is a family centre next to the entrace. The people that go there frequently walk out the door without looking, pushing strollers or with their kids. Often they will stand in the access path and chat or just generally get in the way. I've been reversing out and had them stand behind me while i've got all the lights going and i'm beeping the horn, they're totally oblivious.

I've reversed in/out multiple times and had a kid run out or parent push a stroller with a child into my path, where even just rolling on the clutch i've had to slam on the brakes.

You'd think that the lights would be enough, but they're (apparently) not.

This is the access:

If i'm reversing out a space in a car park and someone strolls past, i wait. That's a different situation.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

Fair enough; if people literally stand behind your car, oblivious, then perhaps the horn is necessary. I've never experienced that, even in similar low-visibility situations, and I have no idea why anyone would do that. I'm always nervous as gently caress when I'm walking past a low-visibility alley; I certainly don't loiter.

Sometimes oblivious, sometimes just arrogant. Like "Oh they can wait, we need to discuss our kids' play dates for next week." type poo poo.

PT6A posted:

Now that the situation has actually been explained, I agree with you. I had this image of you blowing an airhorn at people who dare to walk behind you in a carpark, and it seemed very uncalled for.

While i'm the first to admit that i'm a van-driving oval office, i'm not that much of a van-driving oval office.

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm talking about motorcycle application. I like the Nautilus sound for "something different and attention grabbing"

GIANT DUCK CALL

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

Canada. It seems like people here at least know they're doing the wrong thing and do it anyway.

Driving in Quebec is just like driving in Paris. They all drive like loving nutters.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

jamal posted:

The epa has bigger poo poo to worry about and has been downsized to the point of ineffectiveness, so I don't think they're going to do much about some guy's smoke tune. I do recall a company that makes the tuning box things getting in trouble.

Wasn't there one that was hit with massive fines recently for that, and tunes to kill of all EGR and poo poo? Like in the tens of tousands region.

I need to get my EGR/DPF deleted. Between the oil consumption and the hollow DPFs, not only does the van smoke like gently caress in Regen, it sometimes pops and shoots flames out the side.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

tuna posted:

:lol: pulled over by a horse. What a oval office.

This, in general, is honestly amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And he has a stack cam. What a douche.

I always though stacks in a pickup bed just looked poo poo, but then to have stack cam, to show your bros your smoke. Ugh.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Speaking of public transportation:

Here is how you cripple an entire city during peak commute times
Portland Metro Monday Traffic: MAX lines delayed due to early non-TriMet crash downtown at Fifth and Morrison

Dude made an illegal right turn in a garbage truck and took out a pedestrian on a street where almost all of the light rail lines meet. poo poo is still not open yet.

edit: heavy delays through 10:30 am.

I'll see if it's still on the Dashcam, guy on the M25 (London's motorway ring road) changed lanes without sufficient space today, ended up having a collision with two HGV trucks. Other carriageway, stationary, all 3 lanes blocked. drat was i glad i was going the other way.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GramCracker posted:

Stop. That's not actually something someone did. I can't wrap my head around someone being so daft.

They're English.. Oh gawd..

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

KozmoNaut posted:

A quick summation of the thought pattern of the average driver on a motorway:

Well, you can't just let other people overtake, because that would mean they were winning. And if they're winning, you're losing, and that simply cannot stand.

This is what is sat through 260 miles of today.

And i drive at 62 on the motorway and sit in the slow lane with the trucks, but overtake one car and they get the arse over it and have to overtake, just to be in front. Then they slow down to 55 and piss off the truck drivers as well.

:argh:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

sleepy.eyes posted:

Has the opposite of my last irritation post earlier today. Was following a guy who had his brake lights on entire 5 or so miles I was behind him. Tried to get his attention to tell him but no luck. Drove like a sane and attentive human at least.

I keep getting stuck behind people who just brake because they.. miss braking? I dunno. They just brake all the time, when they don't need to. I don't get it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Great Beer posted:

Were they doing that thing where they gun it in the straights then slam in the brakes at even light curves because turning is scary? Everyone around here does that and it's infuriating.

Motronic posted:

I've driven with people who don't know how to maintain their speed. They either stab at the gas and let off repeatedly or the even worse ones stab at the gas than alternate with the brake.

I think they're doing what Motronic said. They accelerate a bit (not hard) then brake, then accelerate, then brake, etc.

Some people just seem loving terrified to even be driving, and brake for everything. Car coming the other way? BRAKE! Pedestrians on the pavement? BRAKE! Approaching (green) traffic light? BRAKE!

Driving home earlier behind one of these people, coming to a pretty steep hill, they start braking just before it.

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE???

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Hansolio posted:

What gets me is people braking while going uphill to stay within the speed limit. How about just let off the throttle a little bit?

I always get stuck behind them, on small steep hills around london, while loaded. Seriously, don't make my engine drop below boost and then make me drop a gear. Urrrrggghhh.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Bajaha posted:

Ummm, the gas pedal is a switch, if I don't press it, I'll stop, you silly billy. And if I don't break I'll be going too fast and I'll get a ticket!

BREAK YO'SELF, FOOL.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

N is for Nipples posted:

I need at least the width of three lanes plus a turn lane and a little median to complete a 180-degree turn in one motion in my F150.

:stare:

I once took my ex's F-150 completely sideways across I-95 near Daytona Beach because i gave it too much throttle and too much steering when joining from a side road. Got a tank slapper going on pretty good and somehow saved it. She was not impressed. :v:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Don't you guys have de-icer? gently caress screwing around scraping it off. Blast it with questionable blue liquid, and get inside the loving car and shiver under your teeth rattle out while that poo poo turns into (now blue) water!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PCOS Bill posted:

Nope. With my big scraper bar it takes about 20 seconds to do the whole windshield, and maybe 10 seconds for the rear glass. No chemicals needed.

Hmm, must be that my scraper in inferior, i never get it clear that fast. Effort..

xzzy posted:

Clearing off the car manually gives the engine some time to warm up and start producing heat. It's a good way to keep your blood moving instead of just shivering. Plus you aren't in the car belching warm moist air into a cold environment and fogging the poo poo out of the windows.

I'm so glad my van has an air dryer in the HVAC system to stop this. It also means it dumps hot air much faster than normal. My car's 1.9-litre diesel engine takes forever to warm up in the winter, you could easily go 30-45 mins without it reaching temp, so no benefit there or letting it run while you clear the ice off. :(

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

xzzy posted:

Sounds like someone needs to zip tie some cardboard to the front grille. :v:

Usually take the bottom grille off and block it off with duct tape. Does improve it, but it still takes a long time to reach temp. Silly cars! Doesn't have heated seats either. :(

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

go3 posted:

i just start my car remotely and go back to drinking coffee and watching tv?????

Remote start systems are illegal here. :(

Some bullshit about leaving a running vehicle unattended. The official offence is "quitting" and is subject to a £30 fine. (apparently)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
More dashcam poo poo filmed from my office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLgfy29z4Ww

The first one might not be so obvious, but the blue van is crabbing down the road really badly.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

I could not drive for a living round the North Circular for more than 3 days before going postal on someone.

I'm on it pretty much every day. It's a test of patience, but Golders Green is the place i usually lose my rag with other drivers.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

I'm in Spain right now. It's amazing, but apparently if you actually teach drivers to be aware and responsible, they can handle things like "bicycles being near them" and "motorcycles lane-splitting" without having a full-on freakout. North America should try that.

Can't speak for all of Spain, but in the very south there appear to be no rules and no police on the roads. They do what they want, and it's a mix of hilarious and horrendous. When i drove my car there i was pleased that it has enough to power to get out of trouble if needed, made use of that a few times.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Flint Ironstag posted:

Once you pointed it out, the van is, um, a bit bent.

But the one that got me is the flatbed driver at about :50. Seems like tow truck drivers are the same everywhere. Cabbies with tougher bumpers.

I think that's how mine drove with a broken spring and the rear axle shifted 5" forward on one side. It looked really pissed driving behind it.

Tow truck drivers, yes, but the worst here are the scrap metal haulers. Big trucks, big trailers, steel bumpers, no fucks given.

PT6A posted:

Traffic here (Seville) is heinous, and I'm glad for the public transit system that means I don't have to deal with it. I feel it's beneficial for both my physical and mental well-being.

Haven't been there yet, trying to get work to take me there. We have an aparment in Benalmadena, so driven around there a bit and it's all crazy. Driving through the middle of Madrid was surprisingly civilized.

Some of the Sheep posted:

Mind you, Mooseykins should have backed off that truck once it cut him off. Never follow an erratic driver closely - you'll get caught up in their bullshit.

I actually stopped to let him go, and was probably 60' back from him going down that road. He stopped pretty sudden and my van doesn't brake quite as well as a car. Sure would've made a mess of it if i'd hit him.

I'll see what i've got on the camera no if there's anything good on there.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

I'd try driving here, except all the roads change names every few blocks, and join each other at strange angles, and I'm still not sure if I get what the traffic lights mean. I was surprised to find out that traffic turning right on their own green light must stop and queue at the crosswalk until the "green man" starts flashing; I'm guessing I probably would've blown all kinds of lights if I rented a car here (and I'd probably still be trying to figure out how to get back to my apartment).

/Europe

We make it up as we go along. That sounds like most of Spain, but where i go no-one gives a gently caress and generally does what they want. I can't tell you how many traffic violations i must've made driving through Europe.

Some roads are fantastic, perfectly smooth and great fun. There's a mountain road right by our apartment, barely wide enough for 2 cars, no guardrails, road surface hosed, blind corners. Great in a rental, terrifying in a car you actually like.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

The Locator posted:

Maximum truck driver douch-baggery on the way into the office yesterday. FOUR semi-wide drag race, but instead of one actually slowly pulling ahead and then passing, nope, as soon as one got about 3/4 ahead, one of the others would speed up (or he would slow down) and another one would take the lead for a bit. This poo poo went on for over 8 miles until we hit the normal slow-n-go rush hour section. We seriously need to get the laws like some states have where once the road opens up beyond 2 lanes, trucks are lane restricted out of the far left lane at least. I feel for truck drivers and understand they make money by the mile, but seriously, don't occupy the #1 lane in a vain attempt to pass 3 other trucks when the highway is 4 lanes wide. gently caress you, stay behind one of the other guys that going the exact same (10 under the limit) speed that you are.

Here the law is no trucks in the fast lane on the motorway, so there is always at least one truck-free lane. Our trucks are also limited to a lower speed than cars though.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

revmoo posted:

These kinds of posts crack me the gently caress up. It's adorable the kind of "bad drivers" you guys run into in your cities where this sort of thing is notable.

The same situation in my city would be; car blocks three lanes of a four lane road while waiting to turn, then accidentally guns it onto the sidewalk while pedestrians jump out of the way. Then, when someone honks at them they jump out of their car with a bat. No I am not exaggerating.

Where is this place?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Today's observation: Nothing says oval office like a badly-driven Overfinch.

Also saw a guy in a broken down Sprinter dropsider. He had double springs like i have, but had them bent to a curve in severely the wrong way, was tucking about 2" of tire and sitting on bump stops, i would imagine he was a good 1-1.5t overloaded, and further up the road there was a police traffic car heading towards him to ruin his day.

I've had my van 800kg over and it didn't sit anywhere like as low as his was.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

No.

No no no. No no no no no.

Drive around Amsterdam and you'll understand. It's absolutely manic with the cyclists there.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

What a wanker, parking an ambulance in a bay clearly marked for ambulaces only. I like the other side of the hill from the Royal Free Hospital. It is of no surprise that some prick gave them a ticket.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

In the minimum wage parking reps defence that is a private ambulance and it might be for proper ambulances only.

There are a lot of private ambulances around here, and many are sub-con'd by the NHS in certain times when it's the nearest/only one available. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together would know not to give it a ticket.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

Ah. There you have hit on the crux of the problem.

Traffic wardens are not known for their intelligence.

Not really known for anything other than generally being cunts, looking like cunts and acting like cunts.

Cunts.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

I found a video of your van when you had the dashcam pointing backwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPIr46MLZag

100% yes.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Sometimes for work i have to carry long rolls of carpet, they're 4, 4.5 or 5 metres in length, which sticks out the back a bit. To do this safely i run a load projection marker, flashing lights and when needed, a trailer light board too. People either don't want to be anywhere near me, and the lane will be clear for a hundred yards behind me, or they want to tailgate me so their bonnet is inches from the end of my load. You can't miss it, it has a 2' red and white triangle on the back of it.

Why do they do this? :iiam:

Yes, it is all strapped in very securely.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

I actually know that guy in the HiLux. He's a friend of the guy i used to work next to, i worked on that car a couple times. That road (Hendon Lane) is a couple miles from me and another mate i used to work next to lives on it, at the end where the video starts.

Can't speak for the van driver, but the HiLux guy is a terminal idiot, and he can't drive for poo poo. (I knew this without the video.)

spog posted:

Showing you what driving in London is like.

Pretty much, yeah. As as someone who drives a van (A Crafter, like the one in the video.) around London i can promise you that other drivers will piss you off more than this daily.

Uthor posted:

Well, I can think of worse things to tail gate than a big pile of fluffy carpeting...

I can assure you that poo poo is loving solid when it's rolled up tight like that. That poo poo can go through a windscreen and crush someone into their seat.

I generally take red and white warning triangles and flashing lights as a warning to stay the gently caress away. Just that 1 in a thousand people needs to see it right up close for themself!

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 19, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

The Midniter posted:

On my way to work this morning I saw a late 2000's Focus sedan tailgating a garbage truck. I'm talking tailgating so close, it looked like the garbage truck was towing him.

I will never understand people.

You see people do that here with bulk haulers and trucks going to the London Incinerator.

You can see stuff dripping out the trucks' tailgates. Why the gently caress would you want to be near them??? :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InterceptorV8 posted:

Maybe they are on a diet.

That would definitely put you off your food. :barf: