Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of the best parts of past Robocop threads is all the behind the scenes info we've gotten about the previous films and shows. I always laugh when I see Prime Directives and Robocop is shorter than his grown son by several inches. If memory serves they took a hacksaw to the suit to make it fit the actor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, but hopefully we'll see a remastered rerelease of the original theatrical print with no added bullshit since the rights have changed hands.

You could amend that as well for Ridley Scott and Blade Runner.

From what I've read, a condition of the sale to Disney is that they can never release the originals again. Lucas kept the only masters. The only sources out there are ancient film cans or VHS and I doubt Disney would use those.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is it still opening Feb 12th? Hell of an odd Valentine's movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AlternateAccount posted:

Clarence Boddicker almost killed Robocop and he weighed about 160lbs, wore glasses and didn't need any drat power armor.

Well haven't you heard? He's the man in old Detroit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best part of PD is the actor was shorter in the suit than the guy playing his son. By like, 3 or 4 inches.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neo Rasa posted:

Check out the scenes where he dramatically "holds up with one hand" actors that are like a foot taller than him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzJOxn-IlyE

Also mariachi music followed by "I'm composed of titanium. I don't believe you are."

Finally, take a shot every time an actor says either "I am an employee of OCP" or "You are an employee of OCP."

Now somebody post the horror story about how they took a hacksaw to the suit to make it fit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's kind of hilarious knowing that the last time Robocop was on any screen he was shorter than you were.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hand-spike will always be infinitely cooler than whatever Blue-tooth or Wifi new Robocop will have.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

The RoboCable suit is a new casting, made with carbon fiber to make it light. The RoboCop suit in Prime Directives is one of Bottin's originals made for Weller.

It bums me out every time I think about it. Such a horrible thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wow, this might not be as bad as expected?

Yeah right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

echoplex posted:

The only thing that I feel is really missing in the ED209 clip is Weller's presence, his delivery of words as robocop combined with his accent is fantastic.

Weller became my favorite actor when I was a kid based on his presence in Robocop alone. I will watch absolutely anything that man acts in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lotish posted:

Hey, me too! Well, that and my dad was a huge fan of Buckaroo Banzai and we watched that film a lot.

My dad thought it was too weird and didn't let me watch it for a long time. poo poo, I even paid to see Screamers on the big screen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where the gently caress do I buy that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crashbee posted:

At least one site is selling them.
http://www.gadgetgrotto.com/robocup

No shipping to the U.S.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mr. stefan posted:

In place of nipples, no less.

Who do you know that has nipples that big!?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

I am legitimately surprised we haven't seen someone bitch that it's not shot on film because "the grain makes the movie :qq: ".

NOT MY FORM OF IMAGE CAPTURE.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slim Killington posted:

This still looks worlds better than most of the poo poo in Iron Man. Fake is still fake, even if it's HD and pretty.

Congrats, this is the worst opinion in the thread.

I mean, I love Robocop but let's not be dense here. That stop motion looks like poo poo. It has always looked like poo poo. That's part of the charm. To say it looks better than anything in Iron Man makes you sound incredibly stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I disagree on the Iron Man part. The first film has very heavy combat scenes, every time he lands there's small craters where he touched down. There's heavy thunking noises when trading blows with opponents. The second film isn't as good but the first one has excellent CG work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Steve Yun is a pretty big poo poo poster in other threads, I'm certain he's trolling at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Lariat posted:

Re: Robocop 2, there is a totally good and fun movie in there hiding amid a crazy amount of bloat, a more concise editing job would do wonders for that movie, it tends to meander and lose the plot a bit too often. Sometimes it's about Cain, sometimes it's about OCP and only occasionally do the concepts intercept. A film that focused on one or the other would be a much better watch. That said, it's not surprising the film ended up that way, the comics produced from Frank Miller's outlines attempt to throw even more kitchen sinks into the mix by also including many elements that appeared in Robocop 3 such as the Rehabs taking over the police.

Which one? I believe we are on our third "Based on the work of Frank Miller" RoboCop comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spakstik posted:

I think he's talking about the one called Frank Miller's RoboCop. The writing has all the subtlety of a wrecking ball (but it's Frank Miller, so no one should be surprised) and the artwork is incomprehensible garbage. It's supposed to be based on Miller's original script for RoboCop 2, which makes the movie we got seem like a triumph of cinema when you think about what they were working from, or what might have been.

Dark Horse, Avatar and Boom have all published comics "based on Miller's original script." Boom's is still ongoing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I Before E posted:

Haven't they all been written by crazy old man Frank Miller?

The movies or the comics?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well like psycho shrink lady said, they needed a mind that would welcome and revel in the power the cyborg offered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One thing I don't really like about RC2 is the Old Man is straight up bad guy while in RC1 he's just the big man upstairs and we have two other antagonists to deal with.

Also "Nice shootin' son..." is an awesome line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's possible they didn't plan on revealing that RC2 was a cyborg to the public.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Young Freud posted:

I believe the same can be said of RoboCop himself. Outside of Lewis, I don't think anyone even acknowledges whoever is inside the suit. They realize about the time SWAT moves in after the bungled Dick Jones bust that there's an actual man inside there, but not that he's was one of their own.

It's a lot harder to hide that RC1 is a man when his lower face is showing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is that a NERF gun?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thought so. One of my weirder customers used to carry one around on his back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I always liked what a dick Emil was to the guy at the gas station.
"You a college boy or something? I bet you think you're pretty smart. Think you could outsmart a bullet?

That scene is a great example of how good those guys were at playing villains you should hate. I wish they were all young again so Marvel could cast them as the Masters of Evil in Avengers 3 or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

You can buy tracks individually on iTunes. I'd buy that f-- oh you know the rest.

Officer Murphy is not pleased with your joke. As punishment, you will receive what is known as the "Clarence Special."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How do you even confuse those two?

Just a little thing called racism.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Watched Joel Kinnaman on tonight's Kimmel. Highlights:

- He's 34 so he was 8 years old when the first one came out and couldn't see it in theaters because he was too young.
- As a kid, he watched the movie several times at a friend's house on VHS and he played Robocop so much as a kid that he got stuck in a "robo walk" and his mom (who's a therapist) wanted him to get therapy so he had to stop.

And that's about it. He didn't really say anything else about the movie except that it was a great experience.

I was 8 when the original came out and my Dad took me to see it. Mother was not pleased.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really enjoyed the film as a whole. Some weak spots, some strong spots. Overall a very enjoyable flick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slim Killington posted:

As the self-appointed biggest RoboCop fan in the world, I loved it.

I said the same thing as we left. I'm supposedly getting the bit IMAX poster when they switch it out as well!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh right. It seemed weird that no one at OCP/Detroit Police HQ used it, though.

He probably had a classification code like the ED-209 but he was still Alex Murphy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd like to add that I preferred the silver suit to the black one. Not just for the nostalgia, I just thought it was a better design.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

The silver suit was actually really great. It felt like an honest to god update of the original design and looked stunning. I still never got used to the black suit. It didn't have any personality. Maybe that was the point. And if it was, it was done well. Because I hated it.

Back in the old Robocop thread when the first leaked pictures hit someone said it looked too much like the suit from Batman Begins. Why it wasn't that extreme it did seem a bit slim in a few scenes.

I hope we get a sequel!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Reasonerr posted:

In reply to your second point Young Freud

I find alot of criticism is being leveled against the movie regarding the amount of actual crimes depicted and the lack of Robocop actually doing much to stop crime on camera. I agree with you and love that they actually didn't focus on that, especially with the whole Vallon, I want to say sub-plot (?) but maybe it was a bit more than that. In any case, in this movie, Robocop is created as a PR stunt, he's a marketing gimmick. They want him to be functional and efficient on a simulation level and able to create just the right amount of buzz in their favor, that they can then use to spin the public opinion via their control over existing media channels (i.e. the Novak show). They even make it a point in multiple places (and use it as a way to nicely depict needed character development) to show the company scrambling to MacGuyver in last minute fixes so that he looks good on camera. They make it clear from the get go, that's basically all they care about. If they had chosen to show Robocop as actually going around and stopping crime, I think it would detract from that entire angle of the movie, it might then be construed that they intended to send the message that corporate PR stunts are ok and actually work sometimes, or that perhaps Omnicorp is going to make more than one Robocop. Keeping it this way, they're able to send the subtext that everyone in the company except the Dr. sees him as a disposable one-off. A temporary tool. They built and are using Robocop to help further play their political game. I also think that's another interesting line this movie draws as well. We finally see the cliche of Corporations being able to buy any law they want shattered, and now we have an entire movie illustrating to people that it's a bit more complicated than that, their opinion still does matter, however their opinion is easily manipulated by the mass media, now so firmly and blatantly under corporate control.

I'm not surprised that people are complaining about Robocop not fighting more crimes. There's a certain type of person who thinks that if we didn't see it, it absolutely never happened. Go check out the Man of STeel thread where dozens of posters say that since Superman barely helped any normal civilians during the times of crisis that it 100% did not happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JT Smiley posted:

I assumed he was trying to hard to mask some accent and it hurt his performance.

Dude is Swedish, I've read a few conflicting reports but he may not have learned English until he was in his mid 20's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really loved how he was able to tap into CCTV to put together plans of attack. And his HUD was very well designed in my opinion.

I almost feel like a traitor for liking this film so much!

• Locked thread