Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

What's this factoid I see truthers bringing up sometimes about the 9/11 hijackers being terrible pilots? It's really tempting to just write it off with a "Well, the planes were supposed to crash :v:"-type statement, but my mind is telling me to go deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gen. Ripper posted:

What's this factoid I see truthers bringing up sometimes about the 9/11 hijackers being terrible pilots? It's really tempting to just write it off with a "Well, the planes were supposed to crash :v:"-type statement, but my mind is telling me to go deeper.

They couldn't have actually hit the targets therefore the planes were being remote controlled.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They couldn't have actually hit the targets therefore the planes were being remote controlled actually missiles.

wait, no. holograms. of missiles. instead of planes. for reasons.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So last night I stayed up way too late listening to Oh No Ross and Carrie interviewing Mark Sargent and wow. Two things.

1. The guy seems remarkably stable and genuine, which I didn't expect. It seems like he's a nice enough guy who actually sincerely believes this poo poo.
2. Given that, wow, I have got to say that Flat Earthers believe even more bizarre nonsense than I had expected. His explanations for tides, north/south hemispheric constellations, and so on are just ludicrous.

Still it's well worth a listen. He has "answers" for most of their questions, but the quality of those answers is telling.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Baka-nin posted:

This has been shared in several internet review threads. Its long but its an incredibly well researched debunking of the Left Behind franchise and its religious/cultural/political foundations and attendant conspiracy theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxN1DXmSdA

I remember seeing these books ages ago. This is an immensely entertaining video, the fact that the narrator clearly just has enough of the endless bullshit as he approaches the end actually becomes quite funny which is welcome relief from a depressing "People are not only (quite often willfully) misinterpreting like 90% of this stuff, but also inexplicably believe that any of this stuff is relevant to contemporary times" tone throughout, and then rewards us for not just collapsing, face in hands by providing snippets of of one of the oft-mentioned "pre-millienial dispensationalists" that start at 1:50:50.

THANK YOU SATAN

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 22, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blessed Lightning Christ High Places Heaven is possibly the only contender that stands a chance against B Rock the Islamic Shock Superallah Hussein Obama.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Just bumping this thread to let y'all know that Art Bell, host of Coast to Coast AM, has died.

In honor of his memory, I'm going to dedicate myself to figure out how Alex Jones and his deep state puppetmasters are the ones who killed him.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

My apartment door was hosed up when I woke up this morning. Either Art Bell's ghost tried to break in, or he was the only man keeping the burglar ghosts at bay this whole time.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i have symptoms of Pericoronitis and its the gay frogs fault.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Goon Danton posted:

My apartment door was hosed up when I woke up this morning. Either Art Bell's ghost tried to break in, or he was the only man keeping the burglar ghosts at bay this whole time.

No mate, you must be a targeted individual. It's just the illuminati loving with you.

Check your shoes, have they worn out? Was there a car driving behind you on the way to work? That's them

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Did you find your shoes stacked in a sinister manner?

THEM!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

more like art bellend.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Groovelord Neato posted:

more like art bellend.

Man in Black aka grey man aka gangstalker aka Illuminati aka lizard person spotted

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I never listened to Art Bell, because I don't think coast to coast ever played in Canada, but I always got the impression he was somewhat sane and skeptical about the subject matter on the show. George Norrey (i think that's his name) seems to just accept every crazy thing at face value.

At least that's what I gathered from skeptical podcasts that talk about this stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

twistedmentat posted:

So I never listened to Art Bell, because I don't think coast to coast ever played in Canada, but I always got the impression he was somewhat sane and skeptical about the subject matter on the show. George Norrey (i think that's his name) seems to just accept every crazy thing at face value.

At least that's what I gathered from skeptical podcasts that talk about this stuff.

Art Bell was more likely to interject and ask questions when particularly crazy stuff came in... but nevertheless kept inviting people back on.

George Noory is more likely to just let people talk, but on the other hand is generally less likely to vociferously agree with crazy stuff either.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think George Noory legitimately believes in the angel stuff so he generally invites on more of those types of guests and lets them carry on more than they should. He's also a bad host in general most of the time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Art Bell was more likely to interject and ask questions when particularly crazy stuff came in... but nevertheless kept inviting people back on.

George Noory is more likely to just let people talk, but on the other hand is generally less likely to vociferously agree with crazy stuff either.

Art Bell was a master of yes and

You could spout the most insane poo poo and he'd keep you going and invite you back if it made for good radio

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't he also feature in the original Prey, which was thematically appropriate given that it was about aliens abducting people.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Art Bell was from an era where conspiracies were mostly good fun and not driving American politics.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dwarf74 posted:

Art Bell was from an era where conspiracies were mostly good fun and not driving American politics.

No, he absolutely wasn't.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

fishmech posted:

No, he absolutely wasn't.

Care to back that up? My most prominent memories of Art Bell are things like "rods" (these long mostly invisible flying giant snake things), Hale-Bopp, some lady that claimed to be having sex with these reptilian alien dudes, a time traveler, people who could do astral projection and remote viewing, and some bottomless pit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think he meant there wasn't an era where conspiracies were good fun. a majority of americans believe jfk was killed in some kind of conspiracy when it was oswald all by his lonesome - that kind of mindset is poisonous to society.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Art Bell's schtick was also somewhat different before the Oklahoma City bombing. He used to be less goofy and more of a libertarian rage against the government type. The show started as a political talk show that had a conspiratorial bent, long before becoming Fox Mulder Radio.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The mindset of mindlessly accepting anything the governement puts out as gospel is much more toxic and poisonous. You also believe mlk was killed by a lone nut?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he was. it isn't a debate between "believe whatever the government tells you" and "don't believe anything the government tells you".

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Don't respond to smoke sumthin bitch. He/she/they are a legitimately crazy person with crazy person thought-processes. Literally nothing you can say will get past this smoothest of brains.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You said being incredolous of government propaganda was a poisonous mindset. I say its the healthiest of all mindsets considering the state has lied over and over again troughout history about covert operations, political assassinations and false flag terrorist attacks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i said being incredulous of reality (jfk was inarguably killed by oswald acting alone - the evidence only supports this conclusion) was poisonous.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
"reality"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Seriously, just ignore SSB. They're either a troll or an actual lunatic conspiracy theorist that pops up from time to time.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

You said being incredolous of government propaganda was a poisonous mindset. I say its the healthiest of all mindsets considering the state has lied over and over again troughout history about covert operations, political assassinations and false flag terrorist attacks.

Don't you support the current administration?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

GutBomb posted:

Care to back that up? My most prominent memories of Art Bell are things like "rods" (these long mostly invisible flying giant snake things), Hale-Bopp, some lady that claimed to be having sex with these reptilian alien dudes, a time traveler, people who could do astral projection and remote viewing, and some bottomless pit.

Bell's coverage of Hale Bop was what led Heaven's Gate from being a kinda weird socially active church into a suciide cult. I know 95% of the blame goes onto the cult leader for being an egomaniac, but Bell specifcally was what radicalized them.
Bell was softer then other consipracy junk before OKC, but William Peirce who wrote the Turner Diaries was a regular guest.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GutBomb posted:

The show only started in 1988 and thus overlapped pretty heavily with poo poo like the militia movement, Waco, etc.

I mean as others have mentioned, the people beihind the Oklahoma City bombing were listeners to big ol conspiracy theory poo poo and that was one of the worst terrorist attacks on US soil, basically only behind 9/11. This poo poo was serious.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 22, 2018

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
what have i ever said that was so crazy and unhinged??

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Don't you support the current administration?

i disavowed trump during the elections when he flipped on the drug war and started talking about nationwide stop and frisk

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

what have i ever said that was so crazy and unhinged??

It is a mystery.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You don't understand the difference between "sometimes the government lies" and "the government always lies". The various conspiracy theories you've posted here almost always rely on that fault as their central thesis because they never have enough evidence to stand on their own.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Like when someone tells you that the Iraq War was caused by the West wanting to seize a stargate that's no longer rational thinking territory. Believing or not believing in that kind of theory is not about whether or not you trust the government, it's about whether you have trouble discerning fiction from reality.

You, smoke sumthin bitch, exhibit a tendency where you're unable to discern fiction from reality. You see e-mails between parents talking about setting up a pizza party for their kids and you assume it's a coded message describing a pedophilia orgy. That's some unhinged poo poo. I honestly hope that you get the help that you so desperately need

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
stargate = fiction, pedophile rings = real. i never said pizza gate was a proven fact i said James Alafentis and the Podestas were highly suspect and needed to be investigated instead of the whole thing being swept under the rug. Its a very moderate and nuanced position to hold imo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

alafentis would never sue because hes guilty as poo poo. him and the podestas clearly fetishise children and worship ancient pederast greek icons. they dont want a light to be shed on them and what they do

another thing that is very suspect is how the media handled the story. right when pizza gate came to light , there seemed to be a coordinated effort by the legacy corporate media to push the whole fake news narrative and to point fingers at russia and demonise them for supposedly hacking the DNC e-mails, instead of objectively reviewing the evidence. things like that just fuel the conspirational fire

First its strange as hell that you would use emails to communicate with your wife so off top your premise is ultra suspect. Secundo, like you said yourself you dont bring milk and eggs to a party, huge red flag. Milk is most likely codeword for coke and eggs is either weed or pills

basically "anyone e-mailing a significant other is ultra suspect", my what a nuanced position lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol @ milk/eggs being not at all a thing that children might eat at a party.

next you're going to tell me that little sausages on sticks are code for sex toys.

• Locked thread