Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Instant photography is historically the coolest form of photography and is inherently very serious.

The premise is simple, you push a button, and you receive a picture. A concept so simple that it took a genius to make it work. That genius was Edwin Land, an imaging scientist who, along with inventing the polaroid,

just click the wiki link already posted:

played a major role in the development of photographic reconnaissance and intelligence gathering efforts. Projects included: the Genetrix balloon borne cameras, the U2 program, Corona and Samos photographic satellites, and the Manned Orbiting Laboratory. He was a frequent advisor to President Dwight D. Eisenhower on photographic reconnaissance matters.[11]

But isn't the film gone/expensive?
Well, yes, if you want to use the cameras you are thinking of, the classic Polaroids, from the SX-70 to the iconic 600 series. The film for these is no longer produced. Ok technically you could buy Impossible Project film, but don't do that.

So, I can't make instant photos? Why did you make this thread?
You can! And so that I could post the picture of 2pac pickin boogers.

Tell me more.
The range of cameras you can use is actually bigger than the ones you can't use!!! This is thanks to Fuji, as usual, the company that doesn't suck. Fuji has two basic instant photo lines:

-Instax
These cameras are big and look like toys for babies. They are great. These work pretty much just like integral polaroid cameras, you take the picture, it spits it out and it develops before your eyes.
Options include:

The Instax 210, which is enormous, but produces images twice as big as the mini versions. This uses Instax Wide film, and costs about 80 cents per shot.

The mini range. Easier to carry, but still pretty big and still pretty ugly. Uses Instax Mini film.

-Peel-apart, or pack film
FP-100c, 100b, 3000b, 100c45, etc.
This can confuse people when referred to as 'instant' because you take it out of the camera and leave it to devlop for a minute or so, then peel off a cover layer to see your picture. This film can be used in most of the original Land Cameras, which, while less well remembered than their integral cousins, were extremely popular. The Land List is an essential resource for figuring out which ones are worthwhile, and will work with currently produced film.
Was also produced in a 4x5 version, which ruled, but was discontinued last year. :suicide:

Packfilm can be used in:
Land Cameras

Big Shots

Camera backs (Traditionally used for light and exposure tests, now somewhat obsolete in that capacity on medium format cameras, and of limited practical use, since they do not fill the frame. On 4x5 cameras, the image fills the frame and is also awesome.)

There is a lot more to cover, but I'm just going to post some of my favorite images I've shot on instant.
Instax 210

FP-100c45 shot on a Crown Graphic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
fp-3000b45 (yes that does mean ISO 3000)

aliencowboy posted:

This is pretty much what happens when you show up somewhere with an Instax.

That is scary accurate.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SoundMonkey posted:

One does not simply use the Slayer tag for Instax threads :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d7ygm1nlD4

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

slardel posted:

I have some amazon birthday money and I'm thinkin about buying an instax 210 because this looks fun as hell, what are yall scanning with?

Any flatbed. It's not like you're gonna enlarge it (don't).
e: Seriously though, I try to upload jpegs that display (for me) roughly the size of the actual print, seeing a 1600px instax shot feels all sorts of strange.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

One of my favorite things about instant photography is, well, the instant physicality and uniqueness of each photo. I always try and bring twice as many sheets as I want to shoot, because people want them, or I want to give them away. Often when I see someone I don't see often or haven't seen in a while, I'll take a picture of them for me, and they take one of me, for them. :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Whitezombi posted:

drat. Seems my instax is having issues. First shot black tab came out and got stuck 1/2 way. Opened up the camera and pulled it out. Nothing happens at all now. It makes noise but nothing comes out. :/

Uh oh, hope you can return it, sounds like either the gears aren't engaging the pack, or filmgate is blocked. :-/

Here's what I got from an ebay instax I was planning to take to a wedding (until I saw this):

Sure, I had some fun after figuring out that it was consistent, but I had no camera for the wedding. :negative:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Are you enlarging the scan? Because these prints are never intended to be any bigger than the original, the lenses don't need to be very sharp. Additionally, most scanners don't actually focus directly on the platen for some reason.
I've enlarged fp-100c45 scans to 8x10 before (shot through a Wollensak Raptar 135/4.7 though), and they looked pretty good, if soft. Two wide open portraits. They were scanned on the local lab's Epson 10000XL, but then slightly ruined by the operator 'fixing' the subjects' skin poorly and excessively, and their faces were the only things in critical focus. Their parents were totally satisfied with the final results though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I just let the camera do what it's gonna do because jesus christ it's a fully automatic camera, buddy. Just cover the flash one time and find out, you can't spend less than a dollar to find out?

I'm shooting a lot of instax wide right now because my grandma is visiting. :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That is not normal, check the exposure on the camera?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Scan some pictures, I'd really like one of those, but... $220

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
:siren: PROMOTIONAL POST ALERT :siren:

Now, you, too, can shoot the biggest and best instant format that isn't expired and/or $200/sheet!!!!! Buy my 4x5 instant poo poo!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Portland Comic-Con

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Sludge Tank posted:

having issues scanning 210. The border is nice and focused but the image is horribly out of focus. any way around this?

it's at the same height as the rest of the image, so the picture is out of focus.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Are you enlarging it, or is it the same size on your screen as in real life when you view it?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dukeku posted:

None of his comic con shots are sharp. The instax isn't sharp.

It's pretty easy to mistake contrast for sharpness.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yes it was.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

feigning interest posted:

There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.

For each of them, however, only one exists, the other can never be real.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Frobbe posted:

i'm feeling like getting a camera that uses instax wide film (instax 210?) What are my options for a camera that isn't hilariously large like the normal instax 210 camera?

None.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

ansel autisms posted:

What the hell is even different?

Oh man a tripod socket for a camera that can't expose for longer than 1/64th of a second

still no loving self timer?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 10, 2015

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I just found a box of fp-100c45 in my scanner box, forgot to sell it I guess. Checked ebay.

:captainpop:
$99-125

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Instant Photography: Watch my friends [hide behind bags]

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger