Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So, what horrors are Tropers making this November?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I thought that Stationary Voyages was about shut-ins exploring realms of whatever from behind their desks. I didn't expect this. :magical:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Holy poo poo. I thought that Dozerfleet was like staring at abyss, but this is pretty impressive. Sorry you have to deal with this crap, Jay O.

:suspense:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I remember seeing a troper-made RPG world somewhere. It was as terrible as you'd expect.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

What was the name of that troper RPG setting? Our World or something like that? I've been trying to find it, since its a rich vein of awful.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Fuego Fish posted:

Emulating Poe or Dunsany takes effort. Emulating - sorry, "emulating" - Lovecraft requires tentacles and for you to keep saying "non-Euclidean" for everything.

Cyclopean.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

MinistryofLard posted:

I dunno, the idea of a person, selected at random by an abstract Destiny, being basically forced to destroy something he has nothing to do with and has no desire to destroy, to the point of being unable to die until he does so could be an interesting story. An exploration of the ancient Greek conception of destiny as an abstract force that you can't escape from, no matter what you do, and as a pretty good parody (satire? lampooning? Not entirely sure whether that would count as satire) of the generic fantasy plot.

Deconstruction. :tvtropes:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

And, of course, he looks no older than seventeen.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

All that I know about Hetalia is that it has fans who dress up in SS regalia and do the Nazi salute in front of synagogues. You all know the picture I'm talking about.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Venusian Weasel posted:

Ew, but then you'd end up getting Piers Anthony too and he's a pedophilic creep.

Well, this did get posted in a TvTropes thread.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Tropers seem to have infested the Rick and Morty thread.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

That paragraph of 'analysis' read like a particularly boring early high school-level essay. That got an F.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Speaking of writing and TVTropes, what's happening with Washout Tom these days?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Darth TNT posted:

:ohdear: It's not so much as missed as more that I felt my post was long enough as it was and I didn't feel like clicking all topics open.

I need to read this, my mind can't comprehend what they are going for. Is being a kid a gender? Are you inanimate? Are we putting kids in guns? Is the first part unrelated to the second part? Do we even use bullets in the future? Why do you want to associate gender with inanimate objects? This female reminds me of a teacup! :freep:

Maybe they're thinking that superficially copying HR Geiger pieces makes them deep and edgy?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

TvTropes Thread Six: The Great American Snuff Film

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

twistedmentat posted:

This is the closest I can think of http://weeaboo-stories.tumblr.com/

I think it was in the Ugly and Awkward thread had some white guy on the subway in Japan and he was wearing a coolie and I think some kind of traditional kimono style jacket and everyone around him was dressed normally.

If only that were grounds for deportation.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Lottery of Babylon posted:

After the creation of the artificial intelligence Celest-A.I. and release of the My Little Pony MMO, Equestria Online, human civilization has all but collapsed

Christ. I read through the thing out of morbid curiosity after seeing rave reviews from singularity fans. I thought it was meant to take the piss out of MLP fanfiction and the worst kinds of techno-fetishists. Probably isn't though, and it had the inevitable couple hundred people wanking over how they wish they could live in a world where pony AI eats the solar system so that MLP Online keeps going. :negative:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Did Major Washout ever finish his book?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The latter, and I'm honestly not even sure that it was in the cartoon itself.

Its the equivalent of writing a series of novels about Itchy and Scratchy.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Huh. Where is it said that Hogwarts is in Scotland?

Also, just for reference, how long is Atlas Shrugged and more specifically John Galt's speech?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Swan Oat posted:

If Scotland does opt for independence what does that mean for the wizarding community? Does Scotland get its own Ministry of Magic? Will Hogwarts finally be free of meddling from the Ministry of Magic bureaucrats in London? These are some complicated issues and I expect the troping community to have answers.

You expect tropers to know anything about Scotland besides bagpipes, tartan, and irn bru?

Edit: or haggis

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 12, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Cargo cult creative culture creates crap.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Re: The Onion, do these people have no idea how satire, commentary, or anything beyond explicit statements work?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Yeah. It just never ceases to amaze me.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The Charlie Stross novel that came out a few days ago has a newly-minted vampire freaking out and looking up his condition on wikipedia and tvtropes.

Said vampire is a complete shut-in who's only lived for work and study, blaming his lack of success with women on imagined halitosis instead of never actually doing anything.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Imagine how insufferable their convention schedule would look!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

MinistryofLard posted:

citation needed

That'll never fly. There's no such thing as notability, don'tcha know?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Djeser posted:

The benevolent AI overlord which will grant us harems of simulated anime catgirl slaves.

How do you know that you're not a simulation that'll either be rewarded when you donate to Yudowski or be tortured for eternity by being turned into an anime catgirl slave for gross nerds??

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

NV doesn't use the word. The best part of that FO:E gif is that, apparently, the trigger is mouth-activated. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Darth Walrus posted:

Don't have time for an hour-long podcast. Summary?

TVTropes people continue to treat fiction as some weird thing that is always a good idea (even where it intersects with the concept of sexually active 13-y/olds and steampunk), and a strangely immutable thing that can only be changed with the proper application of tropes. Its less auteur theory than it is autist.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I don't think there is.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

No one ever gives New Zealand a fair shake on maps. :(

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

corn in the bible posted:

im proud to reside in the great nation of hckna

The weirdest sneeze noise.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Florida: known for its holiness, and monarchy.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Didn't TVTropes have a huge section on pokegirls?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Calaveron posted:

Funny how they deleted all the obvious loving self-insert anime characters (OMG THE BIBLICAL ABEL EXCEPT HE'S A BADASS SWORDSMAN WHO BY HIS WRITTEN DESCRIPTION LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE A BLAZBLUE CHARACTER AND WIELDS A HUGE SWORD AND IS UNKILLABLE AND INVINCIBLE AND RESPECTS ONLY STRENGTH AND STRONG WARRIORS and a researcher literally called CROW DARK NASTY or something stupid like that).

Shame they still have that lovely montauk procedure thing.

What is the procedure, for those of us who don't want to touch the poop?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Nope nope gently caress that I wish I hadn't asked.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Of course it's an anime.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I'm sure that tropers consider themselves to be the unconditional elect of literary analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Good to know that Doctor Who is really close to real life, according to TVTropes. :haw:

• Locked thread