Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 13 hours!)

Has FIFA ever moved the world cup to a different part of the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

tbp posted:

They've got decades until they're considered anyway, and you know it's going to all the oil rich dictatorships for a while lol

Oh so America will get one? Phew.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ayb posted:

What would it take for all the big footballing nations to back out if fifa and let them have 15 lovely concacaf island nations and 17 middle eastern countries in the world cup

Nike and ImBev offering to fund the Neo-FIFA.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pissflaps posted:

The last time the USA were given a World Cup it was a farce. They hosed up again with the Olympics in Atlanta. They cannot be trusted with global sporting events.

Hey man the 96 Olympics were great. Mostly because Atlanta hated the IOC by the time the actual thing came around. So, you ended up with Pepsi being the official soft drink of the Olympics meanwhile there were giant signs advertising Coca-Cola all over the city.

edit: And the Monster Truck show opening ceremony.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Bacon of the Sea posted:

In terms of money, stadia, ability not to kill footballers during a summer tournament and it being an emerging market who've not hosted it before, the following probably get on the list:

China, India, Canada, Australia, Indonesia, Turkey, Holland and Iran.

India would be a disaster. Wasn't there a lot of bullshit when they hosted the Commonwealth Games?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The simplest idea is just to use the NCAA Division 1 Basketball Tournament:
The selection committee seeds the whole field of 68 teams from 1-68, but did not make this information public until 2012. The committee then divides the teams amongst the regions. The top four teams will be distributed among the four regions, and each will receive a #1 rank within that region. The next four ranked teams will then be distributed among the four regions, each receiving a #2 rank with their region, and the process continues down the line. Carried to its logical conclusion, this would give each region seventeen teams ranked 1-16, but as seen below, this is complicated somewhat (see the next paragraph and the The First Four section below).

The selection committee is also instructed to place teams so that whenever possible, conference teams cannot meet until the regional finals. Additionally, they are also instructed to avoid any possible rematches of regular season or previous year's tournament games during the Rounds of 32 and 64.[6] Further restrictions are listed in the Venues section below. To comply with these other requirements, the selection committee may move one or several teams up or down one seed from their respective original seed line.[7] Thus, for example, the 40th overall seeded team, originally slated to be a #10 seed within a particular region, may instead be moved up to a #9 seed or moved down to a #11 seed.

The bracket is thus established, and during the semifinals, the champion of top #1 rank's region will play against the champion of the fourth No. 1 rank's region, and the champion of the second-ranked #1 rank's region will play against the champion of third-ranked #1 rank's region.

The "First Four" refers to the number of games played, not the number of teams. First held during 2011, the First Four are games between the lowest four at-large teams and the lowest four automatic bid (conference champion) teams. They are not necessarily the lowest eight teams in the field; the lowest four at-large teams may have higher rankings among the entire field of 68 than several of the automatic bid teams coming from the smaller conferences. The four games are held to determine which teams will assume a place in the Round of 64. Unlike other early games in the tournament, the teams are not matched with disparity intended. Rather, equality governs match ups (e.g., in one game two teams, usually the two lowest automatic bid teams, might play for a #16 seeding in the Round of 64, while in another game two teams, usually two of the four lowest at-large teams, are trying to advance as an 11-seed).

See? Simple.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Yeah a penalty box (sin bin? what is this, a catholic school) has done wonders to stop flagrant fouls in hockey.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

vaginal culture posted:

Anything that leads to more chances is good, teams can just suck the life out of a game now and its fuckass boring to watch. Especially internationals.

Only if they make "back passing in your half" a penalty.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Bermuda 2026 before it's washed away by global warming.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Crazy Ted posted:

That will never happen. Remember that the IOC celebrated the Olympic centenary year by having them in loving Atlanta.

The 1996 Olympics were the best ones ever, sorry.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Officially the worst olympics ever:

I was referring more to the fact that Atlanta asked the IOC how much they were gonna chip in and when the answer came back "zero" they decided to just go balls crazy. poo poo like the opening ceremony and the giant COCA-COLA ad (while pepsi was the official drink).

edit: I got that wrong Atlanta made Coke the official thing the IOC didn't have one.

also this

quote:

In addition, the city of Atlanta was found to have been competing with the IOC for advertising and sponsorship dollars. The city licensed street vendors who sold certain products over others, and therefore provided a presence for companies who were not official Olympic sponsors
It pissed off the IOC so much they actually called a meeting just to bitch. If trolling that great doesn't deserve praise then I don't know what does.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 26, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kurtofan posted:

Just use the FIFA rankings

I'm not sure giving American Samoa 197 votes is a good idea.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

This is definitely going to show off my dumb rear end american-ness but people are freaking out over stickers?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ultimate what?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hegay posted:

e: FIFA also wants the Brazil laws changed to make "ambush marketing" a crime punishable by up to a year in prison lol

Care to explain what "ambush marketing" is? Is this like how in 2010 they didn't allow local vendors outside stadiums because "are brand partners"?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Funky Koval posted:

I wouldn't be so sure. They've proven time and time again that guerrilla warfare isn't their strong point. There are plenty lesser nations that can put up quite a fight and deliver a potential upset.

Well it depends, are we allowed to start our two strikers, Fat Man and Little Boy?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Blue Screen Error posted:

Yes you can start Jozy and Adu

Nice.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

axeil posted:

I'm dumb and forgot which one was Mr. Orange. That's not the dude who cuts the random guy's ear off, that was Michael Madsen.

Still Sepp Blatter cutting off some random person's ear seems fairly likely.

Mister Orange is the cop, if I recall correctly.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hegay posted:

Danish FA voiced their disapproval today as well. It won't change poo poo because UEFA only has like 53 of the 204 votes.

IMO, the important federations should have more votes

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Votes based on FIFA Rankings. Spain gets like 1, American Samoa gets 250.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kurtofan posted:

It's going to be funny when literally every bids except Qatar will be hit by sanctions

All the bids will be thrown out because of under the table money except Qatar right before a re-vote. This time Qatar gets 100% of the ballot confirming that everyone wanted it all along.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sepp Blatter: The Kim Jong-Il of FIFA.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Teddybear posted:

The US is the only country in the world that could hold a World Cup on one month's notice.

lol No we can't. We couldn't even host one with several years notice in 1994.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FIFA has spent more time thinking out how to play in Qatar than during the actual bid process.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

serious gaylord posted:

All hopes now rest on an American government investigation. Joyful.

"The US Government has said that the Qatar World Cup Bid for 2022 was unethical", Headline from USA Today, November 19, 2156

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pook Good Mook posted:

You'd rather have a team that has only gotten out of the group stage once and has actually qualified for half as many world cups as the USA?

I mean poo poo if you just hate the United States I can't help you out but I have a hard time seeing why you'd want to pull Australia in instead of the US in our pretend replacement FIFA.

But if you could get Australia, Japan, and South Korea the Asian Federation would be pretty much dead in the water competition-wise.

Australia is a chinese territory now so all that Yuan.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

oldman posted:

No idea how credible this is, but I dislike the Western AFC countries enough to believe it.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...129-131e5g.html

Why don't we just give the middle east (or west asia, whatever) their own dumb federation and make them play the Oceanic Champions New Zealand for a World Cup slot. Make me president of FIFA goddamn it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Crazy Ted posted:

With the USSF's endorsement of Not Blatter coming down the other day it's the perfect time to give all 50 states their own FA's. 49 extra votes for Not Blatter? It must be done imo

America is getting too close to the wc final, it must be done.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

JorahTheExplorer posted:

where is american futbol being played other than ameirca?

the IFAF, International Federation of American Football, also has a world championship and the next one is this very year! It was supposed to be held in Stockholm (as in, Sweden), but they canceled so it's in Ohio instead. Qualified teams are: Sweden, Germany, Austria, France, USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, South Korea, Japan, Australia, & Morocco. Most of those teams were okay with the venue change but Sweden, Germany, Austria, and Morocco haven't said if they'll play yet.

edit: I know you were joking but I'm very serious about sports. (Also America always wins by like 50 points, england could learn a lesson here)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MoPZiG posted:

I still cant get over the no bid TV deal on the 2026 WC for FOX/Telemundo....that is FIFA leaving something like $500 million on the table to instead do nothing.

They probably gave Fox a freebie because an autumn/winter world cup is gonna gently caress up Fox's coverage of the NFL.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Byolante posted:

There was clear court and royal enquiry tested evidence that Fox were in breach of the foreign corrupt practices act and the FBI declined to investigate or bring forward charges for prosecution. I doubt something as minor as a no bid contract would make them act if literal bribery of public officials and police didn't. Also alleged complicity in at least 2 murders.

Yeah but now an american corporation might be losing money, which is when the FBI jumps into action.

edit: I don't want america to ever host the world cup again because we get enough of you smelly foreigners as it is.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wonder if we can get a new US World Cup moved to winter...

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Syncopated posted:

What temperature is it in Quatar during the winter anyway?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

psyer posted:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/03/01/soccer-africa-nations-guinea-idUKL4N0W308S20150301

Guinea refuses to move the Africa Cup of Nations from Jan 2023 to June 2023.

Good. Not their fault everybody else is an idiot.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah if you think they're going to be able to use those Rico statutes, formulated primarily to get Mafia bosses convicted, against sepp Blatter, im not sure what to tell you. You're not talking about an American resident, much less one that stands on street corners telling his employees to murder folk.

The United States can arrest anyone anywhere (except Russia and NK).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Send him to Terre Haute, that's the one where federal executions are held.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

^^Can't imagine why

Polidoro posted:

do people in their 80s go to proper prisons in the US or get special treatment because of their age?

Regular 80 year olds go to regular prison but white collar 80 year olds (fifa execs) go to basically golfing clubs that you aren't allowed to leave.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

serious gaylord posted:

I think nations should get 1 vote per world cup won in all fifa matters.

World Cup and World War tia

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Someone's mad about the Women's World Cup.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Byolante posted:

I don't understand how not using an american bank will save you from a dude firing a rocket at you from a parachute.

I got this reference and I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ayb posted:

No third world countries

Wow look at this guy not wanting Great Britain to host.