Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

T. Finninho posted:

I hope there are massive legal challenges and FIFA is crushed in court

Same. It's clear FIFA will never change without some outside agent forcing them to. I'd love to see every other country that bid for the Qatar World Cup steamroller FIFA with a lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Most members of FIFA are old enough that they probably remember when official slavery was a thing and don't see what the big deal is.

Basically gently caress FIFA forever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"Hmm, this is the second largest sporting event in the world, watched by hundreds of millions of people whenever it happens. Clearly we should leave it in the hands of old corrupt kleptocrats to decide everything about it, even though literally every casual observer knows it was fixed and it is now actually costing real people their lives."

gently caress FIFA. At least people usually don't die when the IOC decides to be insanely corrupt.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bacon of the Sea posted:

In terms of money, stadia, ability not to kill footballers during a summer tournament and it being an emerging market who've not hosted it before, the following probably get on the list:

China, India, Canada, Australia, Indonesia, Turkey, Holland and Iran.

Not sure we have the stadia here in Canada, most of our existing football stadiums (or multipurpose ones) only seat 20-30,000 people, and we have a government that's trying to impose austerity rather than big infrastructure projects. Also we have the same issue as America in that all the host cities would be really far apart, only we have even worse infrastructure in many ways. We're good at hosting smaller (in terms of scale, not viewership) events like Olympics and Commonwealth Games, because you can just stay in one city the whole time and that city will commit to building infrastructure, rather than having to try and organize a gong show on a national scale.

Also I don't think Holland counts as an emerging market for football.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He could have at least been honest with the age-related criticism and say "They're all 95, they'll be dead before the Qatar World Cup actually happens, why would they care about how well it will go?"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The World Cup hasn't been to Antarctica yet. It's only a matter of time before Winter World Cup Antarctica 2026, when suddenly two years after voting everyone will become concerned about the cold.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The World Cup should have the best 32 teams in the world in this poster's opinion, no matter where they come from.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Have a giant World League broken down into leagues of 16 teams each, with promotion and relegation. Each team plays each other in their league home and away over the course of four years and at the end of four years promotion and relegation happen. When it's time for the World Cup, all 32 teams from the top two divisions get to play. Easy peasy. Plus we get Germany-Spain-Brazil-etc versus each other every time there's an international break, thus making them less useless because nobody has to play Andorra, San Marino or Liechtenstein except each other. Plus we can get rid of godawful FIFA rankings.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Besides orange cards and a sin bin, Champagne also wants the following changes to the game:

• Quotas for foreign players
  • The same rules as rugby, where only the captain can talk to the referee and any dissent is punished with a free kick ten yards closer to your own goal
  • Getting rid of what he calls 'triple punishment' where a player who commits a foul within the penalty area can concede a penalty, get sent off, and get suspended for another match or more

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CubanMissile posted:

Sepp Blatter himself has asked some of his friends in Qatar if these reports are accurate, and assures everyone that they are indeed "totally bogus." In other news, Sepp Blatter has been named "Construction Czar" for all of Qatar and assures everyone this is not a conflict of interest.

See, FIFA is so ridiculously corrupt that I honestly can't tell if the second half of this post is a joke or not.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Adulterous Hitler posted:

German media are reporting that FIFA will have a vote on the reallocation of the 2022 World Cup later this year or at the latest at their conference in the spring of 2015.

Looks like Qatar is gonna get fleeced again.

Well, they're either going to move it or not. If they move it it'll be a sign that they had no idea the bad publicity they would get from giving the World Cup to a tiny slave state. If they don't move it it'll be a sign that Qatar has spent even more money buying them off.

I wonder which one is more likely.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want Sepp Blatter to win another election, at which point they just announce that he's now President-For-Life of FIFA, and then he goes up onto the stage to give his acceptance speech and this happens:

because he was so weighed down by Qatari gold.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Azerban posted:

Canada will be bidding for 2026, and we just got an Olympics so you know we're down to bribe.

I'd love this, but it'll never happen. Though, actually, now that I think about it, we get closer to being a petrostate every day and spending large amounts of petrodollars on bribing corrupt sports officials is apparently the in thing to do these days.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In a move that will surprise no one, FIFA has ruled out moving the 2018 World Cup despite requests to do so. Maybe they can host a group game in Sevastopol.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26691561

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

I would say that Europe should have the most votes, South America the 2nd, Asia the 3rd, Africa the 4th and North America last but they're all as corrupt as each other. Its just cheaper to bribe the smaller nations than say, the Italian FA.

Yeah, even if Europe had more votes that would just mean we'd have Platini's particular brand of corruption rather than Jack Warner's, who really epitomized the 'round up 70 micronations to make a FIFA voting block' style.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

What happened to that guy from ages ago who said he was going for the top fifa job and actually looked like he was good for the role? Has blatter murdered him?

He never had a chance once Sepp started openly musing about possibly running again.

He might as well just appoint himself President-for-life at this point instead of promising, every election, that it will be his last one and then just running again anyway.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Mash posted:

What would correct international football politics procedure be if Russia were to announce that the 2018 WC final is to be played in Sevastopol?

Hem and haw until either Ukraine or Russia (let's be real, it would be Russia) hands a fat sack of cash to Sepp, and then announce that there is no problem.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If he hasn't completed his mission yet in 16 years, what makes him think he's qualified to complete it now? That is more time than Franklin Delano Roosevelt got as President of the United States, and most people would say he completed at least one of his missions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Spangly A posted:

No, he blackmailed his opponent who promptly retired from FIFA and then pretty openly bribed everyone.

Then he banned his opponent for life, for bribing people to vote for him.

You couldn't make this poo poo up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sepp is a drunken prom date who starts out promising just the tip but by the time you know what's happening he's shouting "ONE MORE TERM! ONE MORE TERM!" over and over again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

corpuscollossus posted:

Jerome Champagne, the most Haraam name in football, has said he might strip Qatar of the hosting if elected:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2625217/French-FIFA-candidate-threatens-strip-Qatar-2022-World-Cup-succeeds-Blatter.html

You guys are missing the point so far. This is an excellent thing for FIFA because no one is going to make them give back the Qatar bribe money, so they can hold a new round of bribery to decide who gets to actually host the 2022 World Cup and get twice as rich.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
#BringBackOurCorpusCollossus

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

corpuscollossus posted:

There's enough outrage and vitriol about this all over that this is fine (probably). Provided you don't name names or make threats you're ok. As for leaving, there's no way until my contract is up. Embassies won't help unless you're in serious poo poo (the British embassy wouldn't give any assistance to a mate who was arrested on completely spurious charges in Oman and had to sleep rough for two months), and besides being painted into a corner here I'm worse off back home. If I were single and childless I'd have left three years ago.

You took your family to Qatar and signed a contract saying you couldn't leave? Jesus, man, you need to get out of there before you get two creepy little Qatari girls appearing in front of you saying "Come work for us, [your name], for ever ... and ever ..."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blue Screen Error posted:

You're all being a bit melodramatic about this, presumably corpus is white so nothing bad will happen

Wasn't that French football player who got trapped in Qatar for like two years white?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Funky Koval posted:

Is that BNP's new election slogan?

Pissflaps is actual Nigel Farage

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Phwoar, imagine if Lebron James played kronum

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blue Screen Error posted:

Yes you can start Jozy and Adu

mbisonyes.gif

e: actually, the football version:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Blatter didn't want to hold the World Cup in Qatar anyway, apparently. So maybe he's just looking out for whoever bribed him more than the Qataris did.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sony, a major FIFA sponsor, has called for an actual investigation into corruption relating to the Qatar World Cup award. Meanwhile, the Sunday Times has published details from emails. According to the BBC:

quote:

According to the emails, some of which have been seen by the BBC, Bin Hammam:

*Visited Vladimir Putin in the Kremlin to discuss "bilateral relations" between Russia and Qatar a month before the votes for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

*Brokered government level talks for Thailand's Fifa executive Worawi Makudi to push a deal on importing gas from Qatar to Thailand. Makudi told the paper he didn't receive a concession for his part in any gas deal.

*Invited Germany's former Fifa executive Franz Beckenbauer to Doha just five months after the vote with bosses from an oil and gas shipping firm which was employing him as a consultant. The firm involved says it was exploring possible Qatari investments in the shipping and maritime sector but that no deal ever came from the talks. When approached by the Sunday Times, former German international Beckenbauer declined to comment.

*Fixed meetings between nine Fifa executive committee members including Sepp Blatter with members of the Qatari royal family.

*Arranged a meeting between the Qatar bid team and Uefa boss Michel Platini at European football's headquarters in Nyon, near Geneva. Platini, who has openly admitted voting for Qatar, says Bin Hammam didn't attend the meeting and insists he has nothing to hide.

Qatar's World Cup organising committee last week issued a statement denying - once again - that Bin Hammam played any "official or unofficial" role in the bid. And Bin Hammam has declined to comment.

However, what the emails appear to demonstrate is that Bin Hammam - banned from football for life in 2012 for his part in another corruption scandal - was indeed working to secure support for the Qatar bid.

But while that might be uncomfortable for Qatar and Fifa, it is not clear that he or the bid broke any of the governing body's bidding rules. Fifa executive committee members were not subject to the same restrictions placed on bid officials and all the bidding nations used their heads of state and senior government figures to try and win influence and votes.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27751265

I really hope they manage to pull off the Guardian/Snowden trick. Right now they've got people admitting to meetings but saying nothing bad happened, so I desperately want the next reveal to be "bad things happened in those meetings".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shes Not Impressed posted:

John Oliver did a World Cup/FIFA bit on his new show last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

I like John Oliver and this is good. Could have gone on for a lot longer than 13 minutes though, he barely scratched the surface of just how corrupt FIFA is.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hegay posted:

Danish FA voiced their disapproval today as well. It won't change poo poo because UEFA only has like 53 of the 204 votes.

IMO, the important federations should have more votes

About the only thing the European FAs can do to fight FIFA that would actually have an effect is withdraw entirely, start their own rival federation, and refuse to let their players play in any FIFA tournaments. Which would be just as poo poo, because the new organization would be run by Platini and he would be equally corrupt. Plus there's no chance of it actually happening.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Votes based on FIFA Rankings. Spain gets like 1, American Samoa gets 250.

They probably should change it to something along the lines of the top 40 countries get 5 votes each, next 40 get 4, next 40 get 3, and so on until the bottom 49 or whatever get 1 vote each. It prevents the larger and better countries from totally dominating the whole thing but also get rid of the coalition shenanigans we have now, but lmao if you think the guys from the Caribbean and Africa are giving up the power they get from having a shitload of countries in their continents.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My theory is that they all want a revote so that they can get another round of bribes. And who gives a poo poo if Qatar wins it again or not, it's not like Qatar can ask for their bribes back.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

They'll probably start dying of 'overdoses' though

Now there's a FIFA movie I'd watch. The board's token young member has to escape when Qatari hitmen start taking out the rest of the FIFA Executive for taking bribes but then double-crossing them. Put Tom Cruise in it and make him run a lot, and you've got a $300m movie right there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tetsman posted:

At least Russia is a footballing nation with a half-decent league and a team that can realistically make it through their group at home. On the other hand, Qatar is so blatantly about the money, it's just stupid.

Yeah Russia at least has stadiums and infrastructure, and despite racism, corruption, bribery, and no-bid contracts for Putin's friends, at least their infrastructure probably won't see thousands of slaves worked to death in order to build it. It's not a good choice, but it's a choice that you could see a less corrupt organization still making if they thought it was a good idea.

Qatar literally has nothing going for it except bribery.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Video replay, yes, hmmmm I think this will lead to some quality posts itf especially while the USA Brigade ramps up for World Cup posting

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

belgend posted:

Michel Platini, more commonly known as 'Blatter but French', has stopped supporting Sepp Blatter and will not accept a fifth Blatter term. He will announce his (potential, not yet confirmed) candidacy for FIFA presidency during the August 28 draw of the Champions League

itshappening.gif

One of these cunts is going to be ruined by this and it'll be wonderful even though FIFA will be just as corrupt as ever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hahaha of all the WC bids to be investigated, FIFA's ethics guy is investigating England for buying a lavish dinner for delegates from the Caribbean.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/15/fifa-investigates-england-2018-world-cup-bid-payment

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I propose holding the 2026 World Cup in Liechtenstein. My bid proposal involves the use of fusion reactors to supercool the stadium, antigravity trains to get you from your hotel to the FIFA Fan Zone, and antimatter sensors in the ball for unparalleled goal line technology. As an aside, we will be providing free Bugatti Veyrons to all FIFA Executive Committee members, but that's just to compensate for the fact that everyone knows all the countries we're competing against are good at hosting tournaments already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

Wait, will those anitgrav trains take me from my hotel to the Hereford FIFA Fan Zone, or will it just take me to the inferior Dudelange FIFA Fan Zone

Just the Dudelange FIFA Fan Zone, luckily though a different part of the bid includes teleportation devices to get you back and forth to the Hereford one.