Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I would be completely fine if the FA decided any team under their control was not allowed to play in any competition that FIFA has a part in.

Also, does anyone know why Platini has such a massive boner for hating the English league? It's like he goes out of his way to insult the UK and the FA any way he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

euroboy posted:

He doesn't, it's a myth mostly made up by english media. I'm pretty sure he hates everyone equally.

That would make sense. The English media does love to paint its own country as martyrs. He must just be a hateful person. Is that a requirement for joining FIFA? Or do you need to do the course "Supplementing your income: It's only a bribe if you declare it"?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Crazy Ted posted:

Every time you think it gets worse, it gets worse. At this point, FIFA is like a serial killer where at first they're arrested for one murder and then while they're in prison evidence connects them to two, then five, then eight, then twelve, then who knows how many dead bodies.

That would only work as an example if after finding the bodies they come back to interview FIFA and find the guards dead, the prison in ruins and a hole in the walls with a note saying "FIFA WOZ 'ERE"

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

serious gaylord posted:

10 groups doesnt divide properly for the next rounds.

Blatter would likely find a way involving byes that let teams pass straight to the quarter or semi finals depending on how big a donation (bribe) they make to FIFA (him)

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
What is the name for multiple Rolex? I feel like this is something the FIFA delegates should probably know.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Do you mean 'the plural'?

Yeah, my Engrish not too good. Hey, it's not like anyone gives me enough free stuff to remember the word plural. Unlike FIFA delegates.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

El Hefe posted:

I don't think winter in Qatar is that cold tbh.

Apparently in the winter, at night time it gets to around 19-24 Celsius (65-75 F). Still pretty balmy.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Tsaedje posted:

Turn the yellow card into a sin bin card as suggested, but also add an orange card which functions like the current yellow. In addition each team's manager gets a joker card they can play for 15 minutes each match. In that 15 minute period every ref's decision is doubled: score a goal? Two goals! Every foul becomes a yellow card offence, yellow counts as orange, orange counts as red and red gets an extra player of the aggrieved team's choice sent off. But be wary: the joker affects both teams equally: take down an opposing player in the box and you could be down two men and facing two penalties!

If the joker card overlaps into half time the teams have to have a dance off, winning team gets to select a player on the other team who has to play the rest of the match with his boots on the wrong feet.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Bea Nanner posted:

FIFA still haven't made a decision on that whole winter/summer thing. No rush, you know, just every single domestic league of relevance will be affected.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25653594

Most of them are so old they know that they either won't be around by 2022 or by then they would have sacrificed enough pure vigins to ensure they spend the rest of their days living in luxury on a tropical island somewhere. they are just leaving it for the next lot to deal with which probably means a decision will be made some time in 2021.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Yes, it hit like 40 degrees in Aus with the tennis and they had reports of players vomiting and passing out. Of course in tennis they play for 4 or 5 minutes followed by a rest, so letting football players play non stop for 45 minutes I guess there will be a few on pitch deaths occurring.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Quatar will never change. It is run be incredibly greedy men who have no sense of morality. Get out if you are not a literal slave.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Holy poo poo I never thought I would actually live in one of those times where "the victor makes the history" applies.

In 50 years time these arseholes will probably be made into saints for their outstanding contribution to football!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
It's somehow comforting to know that even the French recognise that platini is a total fuckwit.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So basically someone high up in FIFA stood to gain a fuckload if Qatar is exposed. I do not believe these documents would have made the light of day if someone inside FIFA is not benefiting a ridiculous amount from it.

I would bet money that the leak came from someone who was going to run for FIFA president and knew they would likely be running against Platini who has always been keen to hold the World Cup in Qatar due to bribes building contracts piles of gold man flesh some reason unconnected with gold Rolexes, and wanted to run unopposed when Platini has to shock horror step down due to a conflict of interest.

Hmmm, who could that be..

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Troy Queef posted:

Come to think of it, this just opened up a whole new avenue of attacking FIFA/corruption/etc.: this means that, for instance, some group could potentially find a Nepalese/Filipino worker on the Qatar WC stadia, gather evidence of slavery, torture, and similar crimes against humanity being done in the course of their construction, and fund a suit or tort claim against the 2022 WC organizers for violations of various treaties. Very interesting.

They wouldn't even need to gather evidence. Qatar has slavery written into the laws of their country. Unfortunatly, money can fix literally anything.

Wasn't there some Brit who was stuck in Qatar recently?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Who currently holds your passport? I hope you keep it in your back pocket all the time.

Isn't the Garcia report due today? Do we get to see how much money he was paid to say how wonderful and corruption free FIFA is?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Sounds about right for a megalomaniac.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Bullshit, Platani's son got a job with a Qatar firm after Qatar won: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/03/uefa-president-qatar-bid-bin-hammam

Blatter's going to win the vote anyway, he's got the corrupt fucks in CAF and the Caribbean licking the poo poo out of his rear end in a top hat.

The only way to fix this poo poo is if Michael Garcia's report actually shows significant evidence (unlikely since he's being hired by FIFA) or the rest of the First World gets tired of FIFA's poo poo and stops supporting the World Cup (also incredibly unlikely).

Even if Qatar won the vote entirely legitimately the worker abuse should have been enough to kill the bid; regardless of the heat, social policies, quality of the host's team, and lack of infrastructure. All are things unrelated to the corruption and really should have killed the bid in the cradle.

Yeah but this is partly the point. Russia almost certainly also bribed the gently caress out of FIFA for their World Cup, as likely did Brazil. However those countries are actually able to hold a World Cup in the summer and also have infrastructure to host it, and while they don't have the best human rights records at least they don't have a literal legal slave trade, so people don't care as much.

Picking Qatar is so blatantly about anything other than football it's just ridiculous. I honestly think people would care less if it was held in loving Iran, as at least they have a semblance of footballing history to back them up.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

vyelkin posted:

Hahaha of all the WC bids to be investigated, FIFA's ethics guy is investigating England for buying a lavish dinner for delegates from the Caribbean.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/15/fifa-investigates-england-2018-world-cup-bid-payment

Something that got me from that article (apart from the amusing Beckanbauer bit at the end) was the fact that Guatemala has a FIFA delegate that has a say in where the world cup is hosted. Do they even play football in Guatemala?! It just strikes me as completely mental that lets say a country the size of Barbados (280,000 people) has as much say in where they hold the world cup as a country like Brazil (200,000,000 people) which has almost x1000 more people in it.

Or am I being dumb and it doesn't work like this?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Holy poo poo you know when it's going a bit too far when FIFA is too corrupt for even loving ISIS to stomach.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Honestly I would love it if the likes of Germany, France, Spain, England all left FIFA. It would destroy them like the corrupt bottom feeders they are. As far as I see it the next 2 World Cups in Russia and Qatar are going to be a farce anyway. Might as well salt the earth and start again.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that Michael Garcia corruption report that was due after the world cup? Are we supposed to have forgotten about it?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Wow, classic FIFA, I do not know why I expected anything different.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Did Michael Garcia's report ever come out? I know it was going to be internal FIFA but I don't remember hearing anything about it after the World Cup started.

shhhhh, they are hoping everybody will just forget!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Pretty sure if the death of literally thousands of slaves don't make FIFA bat an eyelid, a terrorist organisation would hardly make any difference. As long as they keep stuffing FIFA exec pockets full of gold they would be fine.

Heck, they could probably offer to let FIFA execs chop a few heads off, that sounds like it would be right down their street as long as they are allowed to make it into a ritual sacrifice.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
The report will never be released as it would spell the end of the FIFA gravy train and they would not have that. At best you can hope for a heavily doctored version.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So basically it went:

1. he asked Aspire to provide free internships for his kids.

2. Aspire said no

3. Sepp learns he might run against him in the next election

4. CORRUPTION!!!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Is it his nephew or his "nephew"?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Yeah Blatter already has his bloc of guaranteed votes from the Caribbean and Africa (seriously, do you even understand how many tiny countries those 2 consist of?!). He probably has almost 50% of the votes already, the more people run against him the more diluted their own voting blocs will be.

Sepp already has this one in the bag most likely. Someone like him wouldn't leave this to chance. If he thinks any of the other candidates pose any sort of threat, you will see some kind of dirt dug up about them like a week before the election. It is inevitable.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Doesn't even need to be FIFA, if the English FA told the premier league clubs they did not need to release players for the competition and refused to move the season around pretty much 75% of the top players in the world would be omitted from the WC.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Well I guess FIFA has to spend its bribe money somewhere afterall

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Full quote from Guardian:

quote:

World Cup votes - criminal proceedings

The Swiss Office of the Attorney-General has announced it is now questioning 10 Fifa executives who took part in voting on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids. A statement from the Swiss attorney general said criminal proceedings have opened “against persons unknown on suspicion of criminal mismanagement and of money laundering in connection with the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 football World Cups”.

It is absolutely happening! This is the best day of the year so far.

Edit: Full article from the office of the Swiss Attorney General here:

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-57391.html

Dravs fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 27, 2015

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

ukle posted:

Unless Blatter steps down there is going to be a split of some form, which could well end up with 2 FA's in charge of world football - FIFA in charge of Russia, Middle East and Asia while the new FA in charge of Europe and most of the America's.

That sounds.... fine?

Honestly the only thing that will save FIFA at this point is some sort of proportional representation. Why on earth do countries such as Djibouti (who are ranked 207, have only played 42 matches TOTAL and have not even played a match since loving 2011 according to the FIFA website) have the same say on where the World Cup is held as Germany or Argentina?!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

effectual posted:

Baseball is older than 1900, owned. :911: wins again.

1839. Cricket has been a known sport since the 1500s.

Pretty sure baseball came from the game rounders, which is a game for children :smuggo: :britain:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

silvergoose posted:

So if I read right, the one member one vote came in *after* the qatar decision?

Yeah, previously the only people who could vote where these people:

:downs:

All it means now is that there are more people to bribe.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
If Israel gets banned because Palestine, shouldn't Russia get banned because Ukraine? Or am I missing something?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Blatter you put the wrong skin costume on!!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
"time is infinite when you slice it up"

Holy poo poo what on earth?!?!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
This is amazing

"Watch FIFA implode in real time!"

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
If Platini gets the job then absolutely nothing will change. He is probably even more corrupt than Blatter.

Listening to TalkSport this morning they had Jerome Champagne on who was saying how Platini previously blocked his attempts at reform and was basically pretty shady in the time he worked at FIFA.

The entire setup of world football is so hilariously corrupt and self serving I do not think anything can save it at this point. It would literally be better off with a benevolent dictator who just made all decisions by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Scapegoat posted:

Cricket and Rugby manage, honestly if the good nations and England start a breakout cup they can set it up with the top nations in control. If the Solomon Islands don't like they have no say in matters they can stick with FIFA.

Which would be great, but now that Blatter has actually stepped down has absolutely 0% chance of happening in the next 10 years.