Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
A winter world cup might actually be watchable, the summer ones are dogshit because all of the players are exhausted and unfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Boycott this World Cup.

Scotland is way ahead of you, they've been boycotting for decades

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

We used to break a few glow sticks and pour them on a ball and play at night time, it was fun and you could really kick people

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I think they should host it in the USA, we have really big stadiums. I don't think anyone could disagree we'd host another outstanding world cup like the last ever good one, in 1994. Maybe this time we could give England automatic qualification to ensure they show up as well.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I wonder if the Nepalese adaptation to altitude makes them more susceptible to dying in the heat. I think they have higher Hematocrits, i am not a doctor. I hope people boycott international soccer this is too much.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They have lower hematocrit levels actually but make up for it by absorbing oxygen more efficiently through thinner, faster flowing blood. Thick blood tends to mess up pregnancy and so only works as a temporary adjustment.

Interesting.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

dilbertschalter posted:

If the WC gets taken away from Qatar, similar lovely resource-rich countries will be less inclined to make similar attempts in the future, which would cut into future earnings of dedicated bribe accepters. Second, I suspect a lot of the money promised comes in the form of "development projects," which means that Qatar can still pull a large chunk of its money out. Finally, Qatar has more than enough money to compensate whatever losses leagues will incur as a result of a winter WC. Also, taking the World Cup from a Muslim country and giving it to the literal great satan (there would be a revote, but the USA would be the expected winner) would lead to negative reactions. It's not impossible, but I'd say there's a 1% chance, if that.

Well this is all speculation. We will see. I personally think Qatar should stop doing bad things

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Scott Bakula posted:

The US getting another world cup before everyone else going for it apart from Qatar would be a pisstake anyway

The USA should host it every time since we have the biggest and best stadiums and the best locally sourced food.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Host the whole world cup in Texas and Arizona so everyone can spend a month eating Tex-Mex until they puke.

Yeah we should have states host it instead of trying to spread it across the country. California could host the world cup easily, it'd be cool and good.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Psybro posted:

I heard a lot of California is desert and it gets real hot there in summer.

Not true and the weather is incredible it will be 77 degrees every day and lovely, we'd probably have a hard time getting all the fans to leave when it is over.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The only thing that would help any would a massive campaign shaming and boycotting FIFAs "brand partners" to the point where it began to cost them money. The world cup is a big lovely corporate jerkoff fest like the Olympics and its bad in my opinion.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

corpuscollossus posted:

It's part of a powerful Renaissance mentality in the GCC right now. Qatar is the world's largest buyer in modern art, they're buying up high-end property in London, New York and other Euro cities. They spent tens of millions on the 2020 Olympic bid. It's summed up in part in the Qatar National Vision 2030, which talks about transforming from a carbon economy into a knowledge economy, which is what Qatar Foundation was created to achieve. Qatar in the 50s was a nation of 40,000 living in houses made of clay and coral. Today it's close to 2m with LED skyscrapers and gold plated Maybachs.

It's a golden dawn thousand year legacy mindset, not just a World Cup.

Instead of cargo culting their way into becoming a giant tacky shopping mall of a country they should just move somewhere actually nice in my opinion. We are witnessing the brutality that is materialism.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Peanut President posted:

India would be a disaster. Wasn't there a lot of bullshit when they hosted the Commonwealth Games?

Yes, and human poo poo, dog poo poo, lots of kinds of poo poo in fact.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Peanut President posted:

The simplest idea is just to use the NCAA Division 1 Basketball Tournament:

It would be fully sick

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

El Hefe posted:

CONMEBOL are going to lose the fifth qualifying spot starting next WC apparently, there goes any chance of Venezuela ever qualifying for a WC. Uruguay can't be too happy either.

gently caress you Blatter.

Good you send too many teams as it is. I don't think half of your federation should qualify.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Yeah a penalty box (sin bin? what is this, a catholic school) has done wonders to stop flagrant fouls in hockey.

Anything that leads to more chances is good, teams can just suck the life out of a game now and its fuckass boring to watch. Especially internationals.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

In Vietnam they have a Nguyen Bin

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Officially the worst olympics ever:

The notoriously corrupt kleptocrat piece of poo poo must have not collected enough bribes

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

These massive sporting bodies are all insanely corrupt and I hope they get I dunno, nationalized and have their assets seized. The IOC, FIFA, UCI, all of them.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Dravs posted:

Quatar will never change. It is run be incredibly greedy men who have no sense of morality. Get out if you are not a literal slave.

It's run by Daniel Levy? Haha just kidding, these human rights abuses are bad.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Qatar sucks rear end but the winter world cup is a solid idea. Who wants to be sitting inside watching TV in the summer? Not me.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

thats why you rig up your tv outside and chill w/ brews in the sun watching the might of Chad take on East Timor, or go to a bar and sit in the beer garden and do the same

Well personally, i'd rather be fishing, or swimming, or laying poolside, reading US Weekly, or doing literally anything else at that time. Because on the west coast all the games are from like 8 am to 3 pm and it wastes your whole day.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Do it in February like the Winter Olympics. Perfect time to be TV viewing.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Modus Trollens posted:

Lol it's going to clash with the winter Olympics isn't it

No because the winter olympics are on a different cycle so they are 2 years before and after, have all the leagues do a winter break and play the world cup then, fully sick, players are in midseason form, healthy, rested. tight.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

axeil posted:

The Winter Olympics occur the same year the World Cup does (2014, 2010, 2006, etc). Euro Cup occur the same year as the Summer Olympics (2012, 2008, 2004, etc). This has never been a problem because the Summer Olympics are in the last summer while Euro Cup is in early summer and the World Cup happens in the summer while the Winter Olympics happen in, ya know, the winter.

Moving the Qatar World Cup to the winter would create a very high chance of conflict since they both would be trying to use the January/February period.

edit: Also, the NHL hates Olympic hockey screwing up every 4th season. I believe this year was the last year they're actually stopping the season during the Olympics because its such a disruption. I can't imagine all the European leagues are going to be happy about shutting down during the middle of their seasons either.

Oh yeah my bad. The NHL is retarded btw and basically a history of bad decisions, but that's neither here nor there.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

joepinetree posted:

The list of demands has been in place for a while, and it didn't stop Australia, Japan and the US from entering bids. Do you really think that the US would have turned down the World Cup if they had managed to win the bid?

The US loves to bend over for corporations

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Man if the world cup came back to England and it didn't turn out to be the most profitable for FIFA I would probably shoot myself

Get that noose ready cause your stadiums, or stadia, if you go by latin pluralization rules, which I don't, are puny and weak

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Abby Wambach is a lesbian? *tears down posters, bikini spreads, photoshopped pics of us, etc. and throws it all in trash*

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

Is this a wind-up?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

jyrka posted:

Does this movie pass the Bechdel test? I doubt it. Kill all white men.

lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Polidoro posted:

Wasn't Canada the only country that offered to organize the tournament? If turf is what they have then tough poo poo.

Its bad enough they have to deal with a glass ceiling (Zero women on teams like Barca and Madrid. Really?? In 2014??) now they have to deal with a non grass floor. I'm with the babes on this one.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I'm brave enough to say it. I'm boycotting the women's world cup. Won't watch a single second of it. Take that Blatter you fucktard.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

(Sepp Blatter sarcastic voice)

oooh Canadian human rights courts oooh scary im scared

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The women are lucky to even have a world cup to be honest. FIFA should spice things up by allowing a team of local high school boys to compete in it and win the whole thing, that would show them.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Must have been tough with twitter and Steam still decades away

Lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm going to watch it tomorrow to celebrate another rear end in a top hat, Christopher Columbus

Can't wait til our Italian mod sees this

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

jyrka posted:

Just get the slaves to build indoor stadiums and play it in the summer. What's the problem here?

Price of oil getting SMASHED by American ingenuity and drive, Middle Easterners mad as gently caress

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Phoenix does it for their new NFL stadium without much of an issue.

I think the problem isn't really the speed as much as even though modern turf is quite a bit softer than the old semi-concrete horseshit, it's still really hard to land on and harsher on the body.

the speed and bounce of the ball is a huge factor

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

It is, but at least you can adjust to that if you have to. You can't really adjust to extra pounding it puts your body through. I still can't imagine how NFL players used to play on that old fake green poo poo. Wasn't there actually an English team that tried that in the 80's?

True it is all around pure poo poo. I bet FIFA are saying this to stem the tide of the women wanting to play on grass, luckily twitter is distracted by gamergate and catcalling and has yet to really dig into Blatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The rootless cosmopolitan money spinning frauds must be taken to task.