Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
MOD EDIT: This thread has been so bad that the following will apply from now on:

Anyone who mentions

American stadiums
College football
Baseball

Will be banned, no exceptions. I encourage all snitches to report any posts which seem like they may be about those subjects, though I may ban you too for being a snitch.

From Die Zeit and ESPN:

quote:

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has admitted politics played a part in the choice to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup.

The decision has caused much controversy, with matches having to be played in temperatures of up to 50 degrees if the tournament takes place in the summer.

As a result, Blatter has confirmed he will request that the competition be held in the winter, and has the support of UEFA president Michel Platini.

When asked if Qatar had been chosen by world football's governing body based on considerations other than sport, Blatter said: "Yes, there was definitely direct political influence.

"European leaders recommended to its voting members to opt for Qatar, because of major economic interests in the country."

Blatter has previously conceded that awarding Qatar the World Cup was something of a mistake.

And with rumours of corruption still circulating around the decision, the FIFA chief said: "We have just set up a new, independent ethics commission to re-examine the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/239353.html

Just redraw the entire thing goddammit, what's the point in continuing with this. Are they really looking forward to record-number of heat strokes in a single match in front of a live world audience.

edit: apparently Sarkozy had his mitts on this whole stinker too http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/nicolas-sarkozy-colluded-to-get-qatar-2022-world-cup-8471758.html

Update for the month of May 2015: required reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act

Qatar apparently ran an anti-America WC campaign for a steal too

vyelkin posted:

The Sunday Times has a new story alleging that Qatar's 2022 bid sabotaged other bids for the World Cup (separate from, but in addition to, the rampant bribery of FIFA officials). They claim a whistleblower from the bid team leaked a bunch of internal documents to them.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44994041

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Glorious Eternal God Emperor Blater has a nice ring to it. "The GEGE said today...."

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Step one: using Joao Avelange's "four-quarters-match" idea modify the LOAF so as to permit 3 intermissions, over which more publicity revenues could be had.

Step two: at each intermission each team switches fields and plays a different group team. At the end of four 17-minute periods, every team has played each other.

Step three: only the first place team qualifies. Send the rest home with a brass medal and a bag of lollies.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

You've activated my trap card, I play Green Eyes Irate Midfielder, your defense is destroyed for 10 minutes plus my keeper gets +100SPD, your move.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I'll probably be dead by 2026 but by golly, I hope I at least outlive Blatter.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Can we just get the guy who wrote The Pentagon Wars to do a 2-hour HBO drama about FIFA.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Henry Kissinger got a nobel peace prize, Blatter should get at least 5.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I will outlive blatter. I will see his carcass on a caskett, even if my health deteriorates, I am determined to make it

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

As an expert in international corruption, I

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

35 years as head of the AFA, loving lunatic.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

What the gently caress

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I can't believe chuck blazer is still alive. I saw him on 2005 for the conmebol stadium inspections and he was not far off from being a bearded humpty-dumpty.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

This sure was, a day of days.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Just thought you guys should know, Joao Havelange nearly died. Nearly

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2016/07/02/former-fifa-president-joao-havelange-hospitalized-in-brazil/86635854/

quote:

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Joao Havelange, the Brazilian who ran FIFA for two decades, is being treated for pneumonia in a Rio de Janeiro hospital.

The Samaritano Hospital said the 100-year-old Havelange is in a stable condition. It did not elaborate.

Havelange presided over FIFA from 1974 until 1998, and was credited by many for expanding football into a truly global game.

He was also a longtime member of the International Olympic Committee until resigning in December 2011 amid allegations he took kickbacks from a FIFA marketing partner.

cmon 2016 ol' buddy don't let me down here

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

So glad he finally croaked.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I didn't know Chuck Blazer was dead. Wikipedia says he died of rear end cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Qatar itself is a vanity project.